How often are ultrasound gender predictions wrong?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Pompol

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:04 PM

A friend has today given birth to a baby boy. She had 4 ultrasounds throughout her pregnancy that all said girl, the baby was born this morning and is very definitely a boy mellow.gif

When sonographers get it wrong, is it usually scan says girl/baby is really a boy (as opposed to the other way around?) I'm guessing its pretty rare, I haven't ever known anyone to have this happen before!?

Edited by Two4Me, 03 September 2011 - 06:12 PM.

#2 Chasing daisies

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

i was told girl with my 3rd at 23  weeks......well guess what 17 weeks later Boy #3 was born...big shock

#3 ~BoysRus~

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

My number 3 was also suppose tobe a girl but was a  boy

#4 Guest_Green*Sheep_*

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

I know a couple of stories of this happening.

When I had my last baby I met a lady who had been told she was having a baby girl but ended up delivering a baby boy instead.  After the baby was born she said she asked the midwives how 'she' was and said the midwives then looked at her strangely and said 'she'?  That was when she found out that the little girl she was expecting was infact a little boy.  

My best friend decided she would find out the gender of her last (fourth) baby after not having found out with her other 3.  She was told several times that she was having a girl, and after 3 boys she was very excited.  She ended up having one more scan before giving birth and was then told a boy at this scan.  Boy #4 ended up arriving.  He was in a breech position up until the last scan so that might have had something to do with it.  She regrets trying to find out the gender during the pregnancy and if they had have said boy all along she would have been happier with that.

I have a friend who was initially told girl that turned into a boy, but she was initially told a girl during the 1st trimester scan so not very accurate then I guess.

#5 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:08 AM

I had a GF who from the 20wk scan was expecting 'Olivia' and then I was surprised when the txt came to announce the arrival of 'Oliver'.

For me my 12wk scan I was told BOY, then at 20wk scan told GIRL and had DD for #3, but that was an early 12wk scan.

#6 *~*ME*~*

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:58 AM

oh i hate threads like this!

I have been told bout 6 or 7 times by 6 different people this one is a girl, i am hoping they are right. i guess i will know in about 5 weeks.

#7 Iris37

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

I have heard it can happen (wrong gender prediction from scan)but dont know anyone  personally that it has happened to.  I only found out the gender of my younger 2 and they got it right.

#8 BusyMum2014

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Yes it 'can' happen but with modern technology, it doesnt happen too often. I have known of this happening to one person, however, she was only given a 70% chance that it was a girl and it turned out a boy. I think sonographers are more likely to be wrong if they determine that a girl is a girl based on a lack of male bits. I think it is meant to be pretty spot on if they see the 3 lines typical of a girl. This was what I was told. I am having a girl and was told 99.9% girl as they clearly saw the 3 lines.

#9 mccarro

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:54 PM

It's much more common for it to be wrong if you get told a girl at the gender scan.There's no denying boy bits as they're pretty clear to see on a scan when the baby makes it obvious, but as PP said the absence of boy bits can very easily get mistaken for a girl, when they simply can't get a good enough look in that area to be sure. I found out with DS, and he bared himself to us, and I'm going to find out again, but unless they can tell me with more than 95% certainty that it's a girl, then I'll assume it still could be either.

Edited by mccarro, 04 September 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#10 Miss 50s

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

My friends sister is 27 weeks pregnant and at her 12 wk us they told her it was a boy definately (I always thought this was too early). Then at her 20 wk they couldn't tell and then she had another one as her mum worls at a doctors office and they are sure it's definately a girl! I actually feel really sorry for her because now she has no idea what to expect.

#11 shoonic

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

I was told at my 20 week scan i was having a boy. I then went on to have another scan at 32 weeks (due to bleeding) and was told was having a girl.

Needless to say we didnt know either way in the end and Mia was born 8 weeks later

#12 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 04 September 2011 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (*~*ME*~* @ 04/09/2011, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh i hate threads like this!

I have been told bout 6 or 7 times by 6 different people this one is a girl, i am hoping they are right. i guess i will know in about 5 weeks.

Hopefully 3D scans are more accuarate ME.

I was told 80% girl at an early 13 week scan and then boy at the 18 week scan but neither of my scans were 3D.

I could have sworn I was having a girl, but now that I am used to the idea of him being a boy, I'm expecting a boy to come out! Guess we'll find out in 5.5 weeks.

Does anyone know if the people who had been incorrectly told at their ultrasounds had 2D or 3D ultrasounds?

#13 anon60

Posted 04 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

Happened to a friend a couple of years ago. TOld all the way through it was a girl and ended up with a boy.

#14 BusyMum2014

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

Sunnycat, the guy doing my 3/4D scan actually switched back to 2D for gender as he said that despite what people think 2D is actually much more accurate.

#15 Twin Mum Runner

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

My brother and his partner have had it happen twice.

First child they didn't find out and had a girl.

Second child, my brother didn't want to know but his partner did. She was told a boy at her 20 week scan. Because my brother didn't want to know, they stuck with buying gender neutral clothes. Lucky because DD2 was born.

Third child, they both wanted to know, and had a 3D scan. They were told definitely a boy, but instead DD3 was born.

I'm guessing in both cases the umbilical cord was mistaken for a penis.

EFS.

Edited by DylMah, 04 September 2011 - 04:27 PM.

#16 kez71

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:38 PM

A friends sister was having twin boys..and one turned out to be a girl.

#17 Guest_sunnycat_*

Posted 04 September 2011 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Mellbo81 @ 04/09/2011, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sunnycat, the guy doing my 3/4D scan actually switched back to 2D for gender as he said that despite what people think 2D is actually much more accurate.

Ah okay, cool. Thanks original.gif

#18 seayork2002

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:56 PM

Of all the people who I know who had them 99% of them were wrong

#19 Guest_chocmudcake_*

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

My friend was told at 3 different u/s that she was having a boy, brought blue everything and out popped a girl  ohmy.gif

#20 Miss Kitty-Cat

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (seayork2002 @ 04/09/2011, 08:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Of all the people who I know who had them 99% of them were wrong

99% are wrong? I'm not sure what you are referring to here?

huh.gif

The vast majority of gender prediction scans are actually right... I don't know of anyone who has had a wrong prediction.

#21 Sockergris

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:13 PM

Out of all the people I know who have had gender prediction scans, only one of them has been told the wrong sex.  A 'girl' who turned out to be a boy.  That's pretty good odds, I reckon.

#22 Helena Handbasket

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

I know of two people who've been told they are having girls, only to give birth to boys.

It seems to be far more common that a boy gets mistaken for a girl in a scan than the other way around.

#23 mrs_bubbles

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:28 PM

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...e=1&theater

Pretty sure thats a boy hahaha!

The sonographer started the scan with the whole "nothing is 100% speech" and by the end of it shes like well i can 100% say thats a boy!!

Have had another scan since then and he happily showed off his goods then too.

Edited by mrs_bubbles, 05 September 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#24 gefadi

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

This is precisely the reason why we didn't find out with the twins, or with bubba #3!
I couldn't bare to think we were having one sex and end up with the other!

Good luck to you all!

#25 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:40 PM

My cousin was told girl at 19 weeks. She gave birth to a boy.

I found out with #1 & #2. Was told girl at every scan we had (and they were obviously right).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.