Does anyone regret being sleeved?
WLS

• Please log in to reply
364 replies to this topic

#301 Polly Esther

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Lib, I'm sure you already know how amazed I am with your loss. It was something I showed to my mother when explaining the surgery and it's possible outcomes.  original.gif  It's such a transformation!

QUOTE (Stinkermouse @ 10/04/2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my coccyx is already killing me!

Me too! I never realised that people that weren't fat must end up so uncomfortable. lol.

#302 Stinkermouse

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Lib, you too were an inspiration for me to get this op.  You have lost a phenomenal amount and look fantastic.

I know that if I went to the gym it would be better but the reason for the op was because I didn't have that option with three little ones a dh that works long hours and no family close by (overseas).
I'm seriously looking at a donut pillow!

I had a really good Easter too, I attended a wedding of a friend and all our friends that we made in the UK that are back in Australia (Aussies) and Canada were there and the were really complimentary about my weight loss, of course I was honest about the op and the response I got was positive.  I just felt like I fitted in if that makes sense.

#303 *Lib*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I have one of these for on the couch at home:
Bum cushion

Im on it right now Tounge1.gif

#304 **Renz**

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Just has to share. Stepped on the scales this morning. 100.5!! 18.5 in 5 weeks. Only 500grams away from my first mini goal

#305 ~*Erica*~

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Wow Pam, that is wonderful.  Well done.

#306 Stinkermouse

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Great job Pam!

It feels great knowing that the weight lost will never come back (fingers crossed).

#307 anotherebmember

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Did anyone join private health cover to be sleeved?

Is there any private health insurance that is better then others?

thanks

#308 **Renz**

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

anotherebmember: I was on top cover with  NIB for a while and that was their only cover they would sleeve. I paid $83 f/n then I swapped to bupa and covered my whole family for $89 a fortnight. Im on corportate cover with them as I work for woolworths

#309 kissy10

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hey peeps, how is everyone doing? Life is good, I am down 16.4kgs since the beginning of Opti 11 weeks ago.

anotherebmember - I already had PHI, I think they make you wait 12 months before the op.

#310 ~*Erica*~

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

I've got an appointment on 16 May - yay.

Dani - just wondering how you are going now?

Kissy10 - gotta be happy with that.

#311 PurpleWitch

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Good work!!

#312 Peridot

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I am amazed at all of your fantastic efforts!! What is a general day of eating like for you guys? Can anyone give me a rough day of food that you eat? Any exercise? I have always wondered just how constricted your eating is because of the sleeve!

Thank you original.gif

#313 Stinkermouse

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

The amount you can eat gets better the longer you have been sleeved, well for me anyway.  I was sleeved in April last year and to be honest I am a grazer but I find if I don't snack then I can eat a small meal.

I will start with a coffee, then a small croissant or piece of toast for breakfast.  
Lunch can be half a sausage roll/half a pie (if I'm out) or a small pot of soup, or 5 mini spring rolls.  
Dinner I can have a small steak fillet with veg.  I can do two slices of pizza or 3 if it's really thin.
The other day we went for quick yum cha and I had a 2 sesame toast, 1 dim sim, 1 prawn dumpling, half a steam pork bun...so quite a bit really.  If we go out I normally order two starters and pick.

I have stayed the same weight now for a while so I think I'm at my ideal weight for me which is if fine. I'm not dieting, exercising or putting on weight.

#314 Bobsygirls

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have my appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday. Hoping to have the op early August.
I'm nervous and after eating really well for a long time I've been having a bi of a food bow out in anticipation of not being able to eat for a while.
Any tips on what to take to hospital or what to have at home for afterwards.

#315 yodie86

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

After being obese all of my life I have decided that I will be getting sleeved. My husband is more than supportive. All I need to do now is find where to go and how to start.

Can anyone tell me how long the process took from the first appointment to the operation?

Bobsygirls - I live near where you are getting operated on, how have you found them? How was the cost? was there any reason that you picked that particular place?

Thanks

#316 womenindocs

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

My surgery  date is 23rd May for my sleeve .
(I've read this thread a number of times).

Thanks Ladies for all your support and getting me where I am original.gif

#317 kissy10

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

womenindocs congrats on the surgery date.

I am 28.8kgs down in 18 weeks. Getting the sleeve was the best decision ever, why did I wait so long???

Edited by kissy10, 03 July 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#318 womenindocs

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

After being obese all of my life I had to have to right mind set.Its more then loosing weight its loosing the old me in a way.Also I haven't had a very supportive family (DP, is great others not so).

I start Opti Fast next week.

#319 PreciousPetal

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I don't regret my sleeve at all, plus I find it very easy to live with.  I haven't lost weight as quickly as some people do but have still averaged a kilo a week which is something I never managed by myself and I certainly have never lost weight this consistently before.  My BMI is down from 40 when I started looking in to the sleeve to 29 and counting so I am a very happy camper!!

This thread is what prompted me to look in to surgery and for this I am very grateful, so thank you so  much to everybody who has shared their experience  wub.gif .

I do have to say though, I thought long and hard about the risks of complications before committing to the surgery.  They aren't common but they are potentially very serious.  Eventually I decided that for me, the risks of not having surgery outweighed the risk of having it.  Thankfully everything has gone well and I don't think it is overstating it to say the sleeve has been life altering for me  biggrin.gif .

#320 frizzylizzy70

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi,

I am so glad I found this topic, I am having the sleeve done in about 3-4 months time.  I currently have a band in place, which is my second one as I had all sorts of issues with the first one and the second one has just never worked!  Am very nervous about getting the sleeve done and having to have two operations to do it.  My Dr also scared me a bit as he said with having had two bands previously he may not be able to do the sleeve key hole.  My other issue at the moment is Optifast, I really struggle to drink the shakes!  Am currently gagging my way through a strawberry one, the aftertaste is awful!!  Any suggestions on how to get these drinks down?  Is there any other alternative to Optifast?

Am a bit frightened about having to have surgery again, what is the normal recovery like for the sleeve?  For those who have had the band done previously is it much worse than the recovery after the band?

Ohh, I have so many questions running through my head, I hope someone can help me.

Lizzy

#321 yodie86

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi Ladies,

went to see Dr Taylor today and all the stars aligned and I am booked into get the sleve on the 30th July. Yep 11 days from now.
Started the optifast (which I am scared will be the hardest part). I am still a little in shock as its all happening so quick, planning work etc. I am so grateful that this will be happening soon.

Wish you ladies all the best with your journeys xx

#322 *Lib*

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (yodie86 @ 19/07/2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ladies,

went to see Dr Taylor today and all the stars aligned and I am booked into get the sleve on the 30th July. Yep 11 days from now.
Started the optifast (which I am scared will be the hardest part). I am still a little in shock as its all happening so quick, planning work etc. I am so grateful that this will be happening soon.

Wish you ladies all the best with your journeys xx

It was 10days between me hearing about a sleeve and having it done!

#323 yodie86

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 19/07/2012, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was 10days between me hearing about a sleeve and having it done!

Hi Lib,

How did you feel with that? Was it ever overwhelming?
I think the thing I am scared about the most is the migraine that I fear will come with the withdrawal of my usual food/drinks.

I am so excited, I get to find the 'new me' at the end of this.

#324 ~*Erica*~

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm up tomorrow morning.

#325 PurpleWitch

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

To the PP who asked about a sleeve after a band? The recovery was a lot longer than the band because of all the scaring.

Happy to share my before and after pics if anyone is interested. Pretty chuffed here original.gif

Erica! Good Luck!! xxx

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

After four decades in the industry, pest controller John Birkett couldn't believe what he found in one woman's bedroom.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.