Does anyone regret being sleeved?
WLS

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#301 *Lib*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Stinkermouse @ 10/04/2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my coccyx is already killing me!

Mine does too, my surgeon says I need to build up muscle to prevent the bone sitting on chairs. Makes sense, but I am still as lazy as I was at 108kg!

#302 Polly Esther

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:45 PM

Lib, I'm sure you already know how amazed I am with your loss. It was something I showed to my mother when explaining the surgery and it's possible outcomes.  original.gif  It's such a transformation!

QUOTE (Stinkermouse @ 10/04/2012, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
my coccyx is already killing me!

Me too! I never realised that people that weren't fat must end up so uncomfortable. lol.

#303 Stinkermouse

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Lib, you too were an inspiration for me to get this op.  You have lost a phenomenal amount and look fantastic.

I know that if I went to the gym it would be better but the reason for the op was because I didn't have that option with three little ones a dh that works long hours and no family close by (overseas).
I'm seriously looking at a donut pillow!

I had a really good Easter too, I attended a wedding of a friend and all our friends that we made in the UK that are back in Australia (Aussies) and Canada were there and the were really complimentary about my weight loss, of course I was honest about the op and the response I got was positive.  I just felt like I fitted in if that makes sense.

#304 *Lib*

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:42 PM

I have one of these for on the couch at home:
Bum cushion

Im on it right now Tounge1.gif

#305 **Renz**

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:14 AM

Just has to share. Stepped on the scales this morning. 100.5!! 18.5 in 5 weeks. Only 500grams away from my first mini goal

#306 ~*Erica*~

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Wow Pam, that is wonderful.  Well done.

#307 Stinkermouse

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Great job Pam!

It feels great knowing that the weight lost will never come back (fingers crossed).

#308 anotherebmember

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

Did anyone join private health cover to be sleeved?

Is there any private health insurance that is better then others?

thanks

#309 **Renz**

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

anotherebmember: I was on top cover with  NIB for a while and that was their only cover they would sleeve. I paid $83 f/n then I swapped to bupa and covered my whole family for $89 a fortnight. Im on corportate cover with them as I work for woolworths

#310 kissy10

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hey peeps, how is everyone doing? Life is good, I am down 16.4kgs since the beginning of Opti 11 weeks ago.

anotherebmember - I already had PHI, I think they make you wait 12 months before the op.

#311 ~*Erica*~

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

I've got an appointment on 16 May - yay.

Dani - just wondering how you are going now?

Kissy10 - gotta be happy with that.

#312 PurpleWitch

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

Good work!!

#313 Peridot

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I am amazed at all of your fantastic efforts!! What is a general day of eating like for you guys? Can anyone give me a rough day of food that you eat? Any exercise? I have always wondered just how constricted your eating is because of the sleeve!

Thank you original.gif

#314 Stinkermouse

Posted 21 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

The amount you can eat gets better the longer you have been sleeved, well for me anyway.  I was sleeved in April last year and to be honest I am a grazer but I find if I don't snack then I can eat a small meal.

I will start with a coffee, then a small croissant or piece of toast for breakfast.  
Lunch can be half a sausage roll/half a pie (if I'm out) or a small pot of soup, or 5 mini spring rolls.  
Dinner I can have a small steak fillet with veg.  I can do two slices of pizza or 3 if it's really thin.
The other day we went for quick yum cha and I had a 2 sesame toast, 1 dim sim, 1 prawn dumpling, half a steam pork bun...so quite a bit really.  If we go out I normally order two starters and pick.

I have stayed the same weight now for a while so I think I'm at my ideal weight for me which is if fine. I'm not dieting, exercising or putting on weight.

#315 Bobsygirls

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

I have my appointment with the surgeon on Tuesday. Hoping to have the op early August.
I'm nervous and after eating really well for a long time I've been having a bi of a food bow out in anticipation of not being able to eat for a while.
Any tips on what to take to hospital or what to have at home for afterwards.

#316 yodie86

Posted 01 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hi Everyone,

After being obese all of my life I have decided that I will be getting sleeved. My husband is more than supportive. All I need to do now is find where to go and how to start.

Can anyone tell me how long the process took from the first appointment to the operation?

Bobsygirls - I live near where you are getting operated on, how have you found them? How was the cost? was there any reason that you picked that particular place?

Thanks

#317 womenindocs

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

My surgery  date is 23rd May for my sleeve .
(I've read this thread a number of times).

Thanks Ladies for all your support and getting me where I am original.gif

#318 kissy10

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:52 AM

womenindocs congrats on the surgery date.

I am 28.8kgs down in 18 weeks. Getting the sleeve was the best decision ever, why did I wait so long???

Edited by kissy10, 03 July 2012 - 10:52 AM.

#319 womenindocs

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

After being obese all of my life I had to have to right mind set.Its more then loosing weight its loosing the old me in a way.Also I haven't had a very supportive family (DP, is great others not so).

I start Opti Fast next week.

#320 PreciousPetal

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

I don't regret my sleeve at all, plus I find it very easy to live with.  I haven't lost weight as quickly as some people do but have still averaged a kilo a week which is something I never managed by myself and I certainly have never lost weight this consistently before.  My BMI is down from 40 when I started looking in to the sleeve to 29 and counting so I am a very happy camper!!

This thread is what prompted me to look in to surgery and for this I am very grateful, so thank you so  much to everybody who has shared their experience  wub.gif .

I do have to say though, I thought long and hard about the risks of complications before committing to the surgery.  They aren't common but they are potentially very serious.  Eventually I decided that for me, the risks of not having surgery outweighed the risk of having it.  Thankfully everything has gone well and I don't think it is overstating it to say the sleeve has been life altering for me  biggrin.gif .

#321 frizzylizzy70

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Hi,

I am so glad I found this topic, I am having the sleeve done in about 3-4 months time.  I currently have a band in place, which is my second one as I had all sorts of issues with the first one and the second one has just never worked!  Am very nervous about getting the sleeve done and having to have two operations to do it.  My Dr also scared me a bit as he said with having had two bands previously he may not be able to do the sleeve key hole.  My other issue at the moment is Optifast, I really struggle to drink the shakes!  Am currently gagging my way through a strawberry one, the aftertaste is awful!!  Any suggestions on how to get these drinks down?  Is there any other alternative to Optifast?

Am a bit frightened about having to have surgery again, what is the normal recovery like for the sleeve?  For those who have had the band done previously is it much worse than the recovery after the band?

Ohh, I have so many questions running through my head, I hope someone can help me.

Lizzy

#322 yodie86

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Hi Ladies,

went to see Dr Taylor today and all the stars aligned and I am booked into get the sleve on the 30th July. Yep 11 days from now.
Started the optifast (which I am scared will be the hardest part). I am still a little in shock as its all happening so quick, planning work etc. I am so grateful that this will be happening soon.

Wish you ladies all the best with your journeys xx

#323 *Lib*

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

QUOTE (yodie86 @ 19/07/2012, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ladies,

went to see Dr Taylor today and all the stars aligned and I am booked into get the sleve on the 30th July. Yep 11 days from now.
Started the optifast (which I am scared will be the hardest part). I am still a little in shock as its all happening so quick, planning work etc. I am so grateful that this will be happening soon.

Wish you ladies all the best with your journeys xx

It was 10days between me hearing about a sleeve and having it done!

#324 yodie86

Posted 19 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (*Lib* @ 19/07/2012, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was 10days between me hearing about a sleeve and having it done!

Hi Lib,

How did you feel with that? Was it ever overwhelming?
I think the thing I am scared about the most is the migraine that I fear will come with the withdrawal of my usual food/drinks.

I am so excited, I get to find the 'new me' at the end of this.

#325 ~*Erica*~

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

I'm up tomorrow morning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.