Cutting up a placenta?
UPDATED page 5 :)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 greenthumbs

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:12 PM

OK, I know most people are thinking sick.gif , but I just want to know if anyone has done it? If so, did you find it easy? how soon after birth did you do it? and how exactly did you do it? ie: wash it first? cut off cord first?

Yes, I'm thinking of ingesting it by cutting up into tiny pieces and freezing them, them popping em like pills.

I've been googling and youtubing images of them to try and desensitise myself, but just not sure I can do the cutting up bit. Any chance I'll be on some weird high after birth and have no issue doing it?

Unfortunately DP says he won't be anywhere in the vacinity whilst I do it, let alone give it a go himself and my midwives although happy to keep it for me, just looked at me like I'm barmy happy.gif so I guess I'm kinda on my own re: preparation.

Edited by greenthumbs, 04 September 2011 - 07:13 PM.

#2 Dani

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:18 PM

Surely DP will be up for a cracking feast of placenta bolognaise?

Recipes here:

Placenta sarnies etc.    *hurl*

HTH!

#3 pitzinoodles

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

Sorry don't know. The only person I know who ate some of hers, just took a bite out of it once rather than cut it up and keep it. It grossed me out, but the worst part was she had meconium stained liquor, so placenta was all green with baby poo! ohmy.gif

Maybe one of the midwives on here will actually be able to help you!

#4 jamie78

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:25 PM

Mine is in the freezer. I will bury it whole when I get around to planting a tree. I'm not sure I could cut it up either! :-)

Good luck!

#5 MoonPie

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

Where are you located? I'll do it for you original.gif

#6 Dani

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (jamie78 @ 15/08/2011, 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mine is in the freezer. I will bury it whole when I get around to planting a tree. I'm not sure I could cut it up either! :-)

Good luck!

Years ago we were invited to a "Placenta Planting Party", t'was hilarious!  Invite on the fridge sure raised a few eyebrows. LOL

#7 greenthumbs

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Rebothy @ 15/08/2011, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are you located? I'll do it for you original.gif

Greater Western Sydney - not really an area where I find many people open to ideas such as this happy.gif . Labouring at Nepean Public Hospital.

#8 Caramel Queen

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

Well I just finished my PhD where I spent about 9 months cutting up placentas...into REALLY tiny pieces (for tissue culture - NOT eating!)  tongue.gif

It is pretty much like liver in terms of consistency and how it feels to cut. I think the less gross side is the opposite side to the cord (ie don't bother cutting the cord off, just turn the placenta over so the cord is on the bottom). It can be quite bloody so you'd probably rinse it first (I did lots of rinsing to get rid of all blood from the tissue, but I'm guessing if you're after all the hormones etc you might not want to rinse too much...?).

Good luck...I think?! biggrin.gif

#9 Mung bean

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:42 PM

I have heard of this and have seen guinea pigs eat there placenta's, I had Guinea pigs as a childhood pet.

Personally, and I have heard of this being done I'd dry it out, crush it up then make tablets out of it... Otherwise how will you get a bazillion pieces of meaty placenta into capsule cases?

#10 3_for_me

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

I would go to the chemist and buy a nice sharp scalpel.

#11 Anonemy

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:51 PM

i don't understand............

#12 greenthumbs

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:52 PM

Thanks plainjayne, yeah, the rinsing, I wasn't sure about that. If it was just going to be meaty I could probably do it, it's the concern that as I stick a knife in, blood will ooze out.

I might get a couple of animal livers and practice for a start happy.gif

yeah lanibear, I've heard of encapsulating it, but that sounds such a pain in the butt. I'm hoping to just cut up tiny, freeze in freezer wrap or such and swallow whole one at a time. Drying it and so on involves cutting and drying and so on. Also cost of drying machine and capsules (I think, from what I can find on google).

#13 greenthumbs

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (3_for_me @ 15/08/2011, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would go to the chemist and buy a nice sharp scalpel.

On the list of things to get! haha It'd have to be easier if you can slice through it easily biggrin.gif

#14 3_for_me

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:56 PM

You could get yourself a cheap dehydrator for $60ish or less second hand, cut into small pieces and dry them and then just keep them in a little container dry and pop one at a time rather than actually encapsulating them.

For some reason the actualy swallowing that way would gross me out less as it would be like swallowing a teent bit if beef jerky rather than a piece of raw meat IYKWIM

#15 greenthumbs

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (fertile woman @ 15/08/2011, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I've said here before, I reckon it must be great for PND prevention because after you've gotten up in the morning and eaten a piece of placenta, the rest of the day is gonna look awesome!  wink.gif   Best wishes, I hope you are able to gain from it what you wish.

hahahahahahhahahahahah!

But I see where you are coming from re: feeling the texture and so on myself. Funny thing is (at this time) I have no issue with the idea of swallowing a frozen chunk with a glass of oj, it's just the cutting up I'm having issues with. Go figure (could all change when it's in front of me of course happy.gif )

#16 Hooray Henry

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (fertile woman @ 15/08/2011, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As I've said here before, I reckon it must be great for PND prevention because after you've gotten up in the morning and eaten a piece of placenta, the rest of the day is gonna look awesome!  wink.gif

roll2.gif

Please let us know what you end up doing OP.   I didn't get to see my son's placenta at all, but made a point of writing in my birth plan for my daughter's birth (c section) that I wanted to to shown it.  It was fascinating!  Not fascinating enough for me to want to have a nibble but I'm so glad I asked to see it.

Good luck!

#17 Witchipoo

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

Not too sure about the cutting/cleaning so I can't help you there.

During labour remind your partner, midwives, doctors etc. that you want to take it home (I had it in my birth plan and had told a midwife).  I guess hospitals don't get that request very often and DD1's placenta was nearly taken away until I remembered.

Edited by Witchipoo, 15 August 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#18 Mung bean

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Greenthumbs are you a Hippie? tongue.gif

#19 Anonemy

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:13 PM

you want to eat your own body tissue?

this is vaguely distressing

#20 ChickenortheEgg?

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

OP, some IM do the placenta encapsulation method.

Personally, if i were to ever digest my placenta it would be the capsule form.

This website give you a rundown of the process with pics. original.gif

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/15773...ions_w_Pictures

Edited by ChickenortheEgg?, 15 August 2011 - 10:15 PM.

#21 ~~Amber~~

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

yeah lanibear, I've heard of encapsulating it, but that sounds such a pain in the butt.

Are you having a doula attend your labour/birth?

Some doulas will do this for you as part of their service.

#22 greenthumbs

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:18 PM

QUOTE (luibee @ 15/08/2011, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you want to eat your own body tissue?

this is vaguely distressing

It's called Placentophagy. I would suggest if you find the idea distressing, best not to google it and especially don't look at youtube clips biggrin.gif

#23 Anonemy

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (greenthumbs @ 15/08/2011, 10:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's called Placentophagy. I would suggest if you find the idea distressing, best not to google it and especially don't look at youtube clips biggrin.gif

what is the reason for this phago-madness?

#24 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

The people I know who have eaten say it is like particularly delicious liver.  One woman I know who had serious PND with her first 3 babies had none with the baby where she dried and encapsulated the placenta.  I think she used a similar method to the one a PP linked to.

Mine all went to nourish roses.

#25 greenthumbs

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

Thanks chickenortheegg will check out that site. I've asked my midwives but no go for them either.

Hi Amber, no I don't have an IM or doula unfortunately (DP just wants us at the birth). (BTW, I love seeing your sig, it's gorgeous, your Harper is beautiful and so is her name original.gif )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

What you need to know about ovulation tests

Most people who are trying to get pregnant know that the best time to conceive is in the few days after ovulation.

Surviving a miscarriage at sea

A cruise with your family is among the most absurd settings for a miscarriage, but it is certainly not the worst.

Mum of three denied tubal ligation because she's 'too young'

A 22-year-old woman who is pregnant with her third child has had her requests for a tubal ligation denied because doctors believe she is too young.

Slapped cheek syndrome a danger for pregnant women

When a pregnant woman is infected, the likelihood that her foetus will be infected is about 50 per cent.

The signs and symptoms of ovulation

If you're hoping to conceive, one of the most important things you need to know about is ovulation.

We all know 'mum guilt' - but what about 'dad guilt'?

I remember the first time I felt mum guilt, within days of having my first child. The feeling was so intense I rang my own mum to debrief, hoping she'd tell me I wouldn't feel this way very often.

Kristen Bell urges mums to be their own superhero

When it comes to motherhood, actress Kristen Bell is her own superhero and she thinks other mums should be too.

Pram review: GB Pockit travel stroller

In a world of ever-shrinking gadgets, it's no surprise prams are getting smaller. We put the record-holding GB Pockit through its paces.

The beautiful Bombol Bouncer is back

The gorgeous Bombol Bouncer is back - and boasts two chic new colours to boot.

Gadgets and accessories for wine lovers

Looking for a gift for the wine lover in your life - or just something for yourself?

Free ticket offer

Pinky Mckay joins us again at the Essential Baby & Toddler Show presented by Blackmores with her expert baby settling advice. Register now for your free ticket.

The adventure doesn't have to stop: here's how to travel with baby

The best part about our outdoor adventures? It makes my husband and I better parents, since we're happier while adventuring.

Woman crashes car to save mum and baby's life

A good samaritan saved a mother and baby from being seriously injured by crashing her own car into theirs.

Should you tell your boss about your postnatal depression?

Returning to work after having a baby can be daunting, and when you're experiencing postnatal depression or anxiety it can seem even more overwhelming.

TV noise can slow toddler word learning, study finds

Background noise from the radio or TV might be making it harder for your toddler to learn learn new words.

Teresa Palmer on her molar pregnancy and 'unsexy' conception

Teresa Palmer is basking in pregnancy glow as she awaits the arrival of her new baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

For the festival lover in all of us

Pre-book & Save 50%. Get your tickets now for Kidtopia Festival. 7-9 October 2016 Parramatta Park, Sydney.

Why drinking water can be deadly for babies

H2O is one of the necessities of life, but for babies a seemingly harmless amount of water can be fatal.

5 ways having a baby is different when you have older children

So much parenting advice is geared towards having your first baby, but what's it like having a baby when you already have children?

You can now make your own plush Falkor

Fans of The NeverEnding Story – of which there are certainly plenty – went crazy for these plush Falkors when they first went on sale last year.

Baby steps

10 things that will actually happen after having a baby

I thought I had prepared myself for motherhood. Then my baby girl arrived and knocked everything flat.

Having a baby: expectations vs reality

People love to warn you about what to expect when having a baby, but they can be way off when it comes to the reality.

Are we having fun yet? Thinking positively as a parent

Motherhood is wonderful ... except when it sucks.

The adorable smile of a baby seeing his mum clearly for the first time

There is no doubt seeing their child smile for the first time is an unforgettable moment for parents everywhere.

When breastfeeding doesn't go with the flow

Breast is best, except when it's not. And in our case, it most definitely wasn't.

'If you don't vaccinate your kids you're a bloody idiot'

The photos are heartbreaking and almost too difficult to look at, but Kayley Burke is begging other parents to take notice.

Why pregnant women should eat chocolate

In news that will make expectant mums jump for joy - and reach for a block of Cadbury - scientists have revealed chocolate could provide health benefits during pregnancy.

The baby born with an incredible head of hair

If you're in any way challenged in the follicle department, prepare to feel a jolt of envy - at a two-month-old baby.

The push for Medicare to fund lactation consultants

While meeting with a lactation consultant can make an enormous difference to a new mother, it's not a service that is available through the public health system.

Parents, this is how to cut grapes to avoid choking

One mum has learnt a harrowing lesson about the best way to cut grapes to make it safe for toddlers and little kids to eat.

Three truths about C-section mums

Lately I've been thinking about the caesarean stories and the brave women who birth their children with strength and beauty.

Help! My baby will only sleep in my arms

It's stressful to be the one who is holding your baby most of the day, but it's even more stressful to wonder, 'am I doing something wrong? Or am I creating bad habits?'

Free ticket offer

Essential Baby & Toddler Show - Sydney

The Essential Baby & Toddler Show, presented by Blackmores, will be held in Sydney on 23-25 September. Register for your free ticket now to save $20!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.