May 2011 Parent Group #6

• Please log in to reply
632 replies to this topic

#526 Small Potatoes

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:54 AM

au*lit We did a number 1 cake for Will's birthday, but my sister made cakes for Olly's and Lachie's first birthday.  She made a Peter Rabbit cake, it was amazing and it was gluten free so Will could have some.
Bummer about the AF.  A few times I thought I was going to get it back but nothing yet.  Lachie still BFs 4 times during the day, but none over night.  I am going to try and drop him back to 3 as in in July I will be doing my two week uni intensive again and don't want to have to express.  I am lucky in I never got AF back until about 10 weeks after completely weaning the other two, so I am hoping it will be a while before getting it back this time too.

MummyHayles That is frightening.  Olly does that all the time.  he started at about 3 months.  Apparently it is quite common - like you saw on facebook.  I have a friend both her children do it and and actually pass out each time.  Anyways if she does do it enough to make her pass out she will automatically start breathing then - a survival mechanism.

Chantel We only had about 20 people for Lachie's birhtday but I made for starters:
  • Salsa dip
  • Avocado dip
  • cornchips
  • crackers
  • carrot and celery sticks
  • cheese
  • mini quiches
  • sausage rolls
  • chips and choccie eggs for the kids

For main we had
  • Roast leg of lamb
  • roast vegetables
  • two salads
  • foccacia

For dessert we had
  1. cheesecake
  2. chocolates
  3. the Peter Rabbit birthday cake

We had some dip and biscuits left over and enough roast and vegetables for 1 meal and enough salad for a couple of meals as a side dish

AFU I have been getting really ill once a week for two days for the last three weeks.  Stabbing burning stomach pains, diarrhoea, so I went to the Dr and it turns out I have way too much acid in my stomach so I am on antacids.  I have only been on them for a few days so I guess I will see soon if they are working.  If not so much I am going to do a test for the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers.

Lachie is one today - I can't believe it.  This time last year I was having painless but very frequent contractions, but as I was 5 weeks early I didn't actually believe he was going to be born today.  Anyway I am a little sad as my last baby is no longer technically a baby anymore, but he is still a baby to me.

ETA:
I am busy with Uni but am loving it.  I am jealous of the full-timers who start clinics next semester, but it won't be long until it is my turn depending on what happens with other stuff.

Brown Bear I sat GAMSAT a couple of weeks ago and OMG.  I got the test finished in all sections, section III with only about 2 mins to spare.  No calculator this time.  It was nothing like the ACER practice tests and I wasn't the only one who thought so.  Other that had sat GAMSAT before all said it was so much harder than previous years.  On the plus side only 6200 registered to sit it this year and last year over 10 000 registered for it, on the downside UWA isn't opening up a course this year as they are changing from MBBS to MD so that is about 100 less spots

Edited by Small Potatoes, 11 April 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#527 runnybabbit

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

au lit How exciting! If you love food (hate the word "foodie") and especially Chinese food, then Singapore will be fantastic. If your hubs gets paid in A$ but gets taxed at Singapore rates then that will be really cool. In the meantime all the best with the job-hunting and hope the whole process of finding a job and moving isn't too stressful. That is a fantastic blog link, thanks!

As for birthday cakes, we are doing the the kite cake out of the new (not vintage) WW kids' birthday book. Also the blue and yellow lolly buffet, I can't wait!

My MIL arrived in Townsville last night, and my parents arrive next week.

In the meantime we have acquired a Thermomix and it is a lot of fun. Lots of bread baking, risotto, soups, etc. Will be making my own curry pastes from now on. It does make cooking fresh a lot easier.

I am missing my Perth mums' group quite a bit. Thank goodness for you guys. I joined a FB group (ah, Facebook) for parents of Townsville babies of 2011 and a few of the mums on there just aren't my type, I think. There were two discussions, one about rear/front facing car seats, and the other on amber necklaces, and they both ended up complete cat fights. It's like nothing can be discussed without some people taking immediate offence. And I just really feel that as parents we do need to see past our emotions and actually discuss issues and think about the information at hand, rather than reflexively getting defensive, you know?

I went to one meet up for that group last week, don't think I will be going again.

So far at least I have met two lovely ladies in Townsville, one from Kidspot and the other from EB. They are of a normal, non-hysterical temperament, which is nice.

I am also starting to feel like I want to work as a vet again. I called five daycare centres today and their waiting lists are 6-12 months. sad.gif My hubs isn't keen at all on family daycare, but I think that might end up being our only option.

#528 au*lit

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

Runnybabbit, I know! I love the food in Singapore. DH and I are both pretty greedy so it's a huge draw for us.

That's a shame about the local mums. I don't know why some people can't just live and let live. Hopefully you can meet some like minded friends in time. Have you thought of a playgroup?

Good luck with finding daycare.

Here's a recent pic of H. It was when I was trying to take a passport photo of him and the flash was making him laugh. Needless to say this one didn't make the cut. In the end I took him into the photo shop to get it done.

He's so funny chattering away all day. He's said a few words that sound like 'hi' or 'mama' etc but I'm not sure that he's actually saying those words meaningfully or he's just making sounds. He also points a lot but sometimes I'm not sure if he's really pointing at something or if he just likes pointing!

ETA Mands I just saw your post. Sorry to hear you've been ill, I hope you can get to be bottom of it soon. Good luck with the GAMSAT, glad to hear you finished it all. Glad to hear you're enjoying uni.

I'm still feeding Henry four times a day, plus sometimes once overnight. I've been thinking about cutting out one of the feeds but not even sure how to go about it.

Edited by au*lit, 11 April 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#529 Small Potatoes

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:24 AM

Au*lit I love Singapore.  I was trying to convince DH to go for a job with Singapore airlines at one stage original.gif.  Love the food.  I used to go once a week as a flight attendant, but no more.  Love Melbourne too original.gif

RunnybabbitThat is great you have met a couple of nice Mums.  I have lived on the Gold Coast for 9 years and still don't know a lot of people

Here is a picture of Lachie at his birthday party
Lachie had a great day yesterday.  Didn't do a cake as we had one on the weekend.  He still seems like such a baby not a 1yo

#530 ChantelM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

Runnybabbit - Sorry to hear the Mums group didnt work out. I know what you mean about ppl letting emotions get the better of them. That is why I think this group is great, I feel really comfortable coming on here and saying/asking whatever I need without getting my head bitten off.

Small Potatos - Thanks for the food advise. Happy Birthday to Lachie! Axel is 1 in 13 days! I can't believe how quickly the time has gone. I still remember logging onto EB and reading you had Lachie early. He was the first in the group wasn't he?

au*lit - H is just gorgeous. I love when they smile and you can see the little teeth popping through original.gif
I was still feeding Axel the same amount a little over a month ago. The nurse told me to cut down to one after breakfast, another after lunch and one more after dinner. Then I wait until he wakes through the night and offer him another one. I actually just stopped the extra bottles and kept offering him his sippy cup and he took it really well. I thought it would have been much more difficult. The first week I found him to be a little more irritable in the afternoon but he got over it.

AFU - We are doing pretty well. Axel has another tooth coming through on the top so he has been a little irritable. We had a lovely weekend away at Port Macquarie, Axel was a darl and charmed everyone  wub.gif

He is changing so much every day. My poor dog, I have taught him to tell her 'No' when she licks him. Now he just crawls over and points and says "NO" lol, at any random night, the poor thing is just trying to sleep on her mat original.gif

#531 ChantelM

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:59 PM

Runnybabbit - I just looked up the Thermomix and it looks awesome! Do you mind if I ask how much it costs?

#532 runnybabbit

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Oh Chantel, it costs waaaaaay too much. We paid $1939. The price hasn't come down with the A$ improving, so I think Thermomix Australia (sole distributor) is making a BUNDLE. :/

You can get it off eBay from Europe for a couple hundred cheaper, but we figured it wasn't worth it with potential warranty issues and stuff.

The irritating thing is being unable to get it in stores. If you could, I'm sure it'd be a lot cheaper. Recently there was a very new group buying site (like Scoopon or Groupon) claiming to sell Thermomixes for $999. It remains to be seen whether the offer was legit or a scam.

Having said that, we had freshly cooked risotto for lunch, soup and freshly baked rolls for dinner last night, and tonight we had a starter of garlic prawns and then freshly baked naan with dahl.

I am really loving the freshly baked breads, and I'm already seeing a big change in the way I shop -- nothing in jars or bottles, it's all fresh food and grains, flour, etc. So I think in the long run we'll be better for it, for sure. The $$ just hurts, though! But it's really nice having homemade stocks and breads. I love my Thermie already, but I'm not a fan of Head Office's monopoly on Thermomix in Australia.

I think mands has one, too. original.gif And she's much less of a TMX newbie than me!

But hey, go onto the Recipes subforum, there's a TMX buddies thread, and the ladies there are happy to chat to people thinking of buying TMXes. When you get a home demo I am pretty sure it is obligation free as well. Okay I will shut up about the TMX for now.

au lit WOW, look at those teeth! Love the cheeky smile, he looks like he could be such a monkey.

mands I know what you mean about not knowing a lot of people. I am generally an introvert so I am happy with my DH and my close friends, who are unfortunately scattered all over the globe (Singapore, Boston, Sydney). I kind of miss having a geographically desirable kindred spirit!

AFM my MIL arrived two nights ago and I have missed her, I love my MIL. We've had some nice brunches and coffees already, and Nathan is lapping up the additional attention.

We've been trialling a dreamfeed of a massive amount of EBM, as much as he'll take, up to 180 ml, and twice in a week Nathan slept through. And then yesterday Nathan broke my Ameda double electric pump. It was my fault for leaving it on the sofa, he pulled it off and it hit the floor with a thud. And it is dead. sad.gif Just bought another one, goodbye $250. sad.gif

Another sucky thing that happened: we got an inflatable splash pool from ELC, and today Nathan was out the back in it. I was taking photos of him, and he started leaning out to get a ball that he'd thrown out. I could see he was about to smack his head on the pavers, so I immediately went to grab him. And the Canon SLR was slung around my neck. The camera swung forward and SMACKED him in the head. So he ended up in tears and has a GIANT egg on his forehead, thankfully hidden by his hair. (The camera is fine.) But I felt so awful. Poor Nathan, it sucks for him to have such a clumsy mum.

Okay that is all for now, I've eaten so much naan and dahl and I haven't been able to break out of my post-prandial stupor for the last 20 minutes, hence this long post. I feel able to go upstairs and have a shower now. original.gif

Edited for sense.

Edited by runnybabbit, 12 April 2012 - 09:03 PM.

#533 ogglyn

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:07 PM

Mands - happy birthday to Lachie for yesterday original.gif I really like your party menu, am probably going to do a copy of it for R's party! We will probably have the same number of people. The only thing is I don't think I would trust my cooking skills to make a good roast, so we'll BBQ.

I've been thinking about making this cake ( http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/19063/peach+yoghurt+slice ). I made the slice a few weeks ago and couldn't stop eating it. R loved it, too. So I'm thinking of making it with peaches, pears and strawberries, in a round cake pan and decorate it with fruit on top. Thinking of doing a clown face on top because R gets the giggles if he sees a clown original.gif The only thing is I think the original recipe is a bit too sweet so might play with it a bit before the day. We might end up having his party 1.5 weeks after his bday because we have another couple of bday parties in early may...

Not much else happening here. R is getting more and more mischievous.

One of his favourite things at the moment is the $20 Ikea tunnel.

#534 ChantelM

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Thanks Runnybabbit - It looks amazing. Not sure I could convince my DH that it is worth that much though original.gif
Oh no, poor Nathan, don't you just hate when you do something clumsy. They are so quick now though. Axel fell out of our back door a couple of weeks ago! Woops! Thank god it was only a step, no damage done. Made me feel bad though!

AFU - Axel has come down with some sort of bug. I heard him cry a little about 9:30pm last night and then he stopped. I had a feeling something wasn't right, I went to check him and he had thrown up everywhere! Then today I managed to get him to eat a piece of toast at breakfast but he refused food for the rest of the day, he didn't even really want his bottles. I managed to get him to drink them though, I just worry about dehydration. He has slept so much today. Hopefully he is feeling better tomorrow, we are supposed to have a play date at Lollipop Playland, it will be his first time original.gif

#535 purple_daisy

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hi ladies how are you all? I guess we are all pretty busy with our active littlies at the moment since nobody has posted here in a week.

Chantel how is Axel now? Has he gotten over that bug?

DD has come down with a bad vomitting bug today too. She was a bit whiney after childcare yesterday but still ate her dinner and had a BF at night. This morning I went out leaving DH to have daddy time for a few hours with DD. I got home to a very frazzled DH, a withdrawn and unhappy DD and a house and car that smell of vomit sad.gif Seems the first phase of projectile vomitting started when DH was putting her in the car after shopping, then he lay her in the boot to get her dirty clothes off and she let forth sad.gif She basically didn't hold anything down from breakfast right through till 6pm when we got some hydralite into her. Such a stressful time when they are sick sad.gif

Have a great night - oh and I saw an ad on tv that baby warehouse is offering big discounts for its "crazy sale". They aren't in my city but have several outlets and I think an online store so am going to check it out for car seats.

Edited by purple_daisy, 21 April 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#536 ChantelM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

purple_daisy - Axel is doing ok now. He had the bug for 4 days! Vomiting and diarhoea (sp?). Poor little guy. He is doing much better now, still being rather clingy with me though, I think because he didn't want to leave my side when he was sick and slept on me etc, for the whole 4 days.

Well, Axel is 1 on Wednesday! I can't believe it. Time has gone so quickly. We have his 1st bday party on Saturday, there is about 60 ppl coming, should be a good day. I have hired a ball pit for the littlies so hopefully that will keep them occupied. My Mum is coming from QLD on Thursday night. I am so excited, I haven't seen her since early Feb.

I will have to check out the Baby Warehouse sale. We have one pretty close to home. I might wait until after his bday party though, I am sure he is going to get lots of pressies!

Hope everyone is doing well.

#537 runnybabbit

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi everyone! Nathan turns one tomorrow; we had his party yesterday and it was lovely. We made it a morning tea party and had nibbles and a sweets table, from 10 to 12 so that Nathan could still have his afternoon sleep and we didn't have people hanging around for too long. wink.gif

It was really nice -- I'll have to post pics soon.

In the meantime my MIL and my parents are staying with us. I'd forgotten how crabby being in close proximity to my dad makes me! Grrr.

#538 ogglyn

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:20 AM

Runnybabbit - Happy 1st Birthday to Nathan original.gif

Purple daisy - how's your DD going? Hope she's starting to keep some food down again. When R had it, we had to give him tiny amounts (10-20ml) very often (5-10 minutes) until he started keeping it down more.

ETA:

ChantelM - happy birthday to Axel for tomorrow original.gif

AFM - I start work next week. Was hoping to have the house a lot more sorted than it is by the time I start work. Was also hoping to lose a bit more weight so I don't have to shop for clothes. I'm only about 4kg over what I was before both pregnancies, but it's taking me ages to lose weight and all my extra weight now is on my tummy so all my old clothes don't fit well. I've tried so many different styles on but nothing I've tried works for my current figure. ( except to make me look pregnant!) Very frustrating. If any of you have any tips for office work wear for post baby body, let me know original.gif

Robin has been making 2 to 3 steps between things for weeks now, and made 7 steps the other day, but other than that isn't really interested in walking. He's super fast at crawling. I've given in and put a gate to block off the kitchen. It's his favourite place to play, that and the shower/bathroom. He's emptied many drawers, been to the bin, started taking things from the pantry, and I was taking him back to the living room all the time, so enough's enough original.gif should've done it months ago. He's started to complete some of the songs we sing, and joins in when I read to him. I'll sing to him "and that brings us back to..." and he says " do do do do do" original.gif And we read "10 bears in a bed" and he loves to repeat "rollover" a bit like " rowowow".

I've given up trying to take him to crèche for now. He has pretty bad separation anxiety when i try to leave him there. Will probably try again in a few months as it's a fantastic service. And for the same reasons, we've employed MIL to look after him while I'm at work. He's really good with her, and vv. We'll probably try him at daycare again closer to 2yo.

Edited by ogglyn, 24 April 2012 - 09:53 PM.

#539 au*lit

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:41 PM

Happy birthday to Nathan and Axel! I can't believe our babies are turning one already.

I hope that Charlotte and Axel are better now.

Chantel my mum and sisters all have a Thermomix. They all love them. My nieces (11 and 12) use them to bake and cook different things. I've also got a couple of friends who aren't really cooks and they love them because it makes things quicker and easier. That said, I can't justify the money for one right now.

Mands, gorgeous photo of Lachie, sounds like you went all out for the party. Did you take the photo on a black and white setting or did you add the effect afterwards? I've got a good camera now but don't know how to use half the functions  rolleyes.gif

Ogglyn I think I'm pretty lucky with Henry. When he's going into a cupboard and I tell him 'no', he generally stops. But someone has to be there to see him to tell him no! He's allowed into the cupboard with the plastic containers and regularly empties it and spreads the contents around the floor. He's also got a basket of plastic bowls, plates, etc on a low shelf in the kitchen that is for him to play with.

He still isn't saying anything identifiable. He loves to point at things and say 'ba'. If I was a bit more excitable I probably would say he's saying 'mum', 'dada', 'bye' and 'hi', but he's just not saying them consistently in the right context.

He's also standing and doing a bit of cruising. Today my niece said he let go and stood for a second before falling - it's a first but I didn't actually see it so I don't quite believe it! Also trying to climb up and over everything (including stairs - eeek!).

AFU I've been having breastfeeding woes. I posted over on the breastfeeding forum today. Henry's teeth are really causing pain and suffering! He's not biting as such, but it's just that the teeth combined with a shallow latch mean that I end up with his teeth digging into me (complete with indentations) are really painful.

Anyway I am going to cut back on his feeds and try some advice on adjusting his latch (not that I'm confident about that sad.gif). I hope that we can keep going with fewer feeds because I don't feel ready to wean yet. But if the pain continues I will have to stop.

Anyway, hope you all are well!

#540 Small Potatoes

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:41 AM

Au*lit I am having the same problems with Lachie and here is some information I found
With an older baby, the weight of the baby can cause baby's mouth and teeth to "drag down" on the breast tissue. See if you can position baby so that her weight is supported well. Use pillows or a chair with arm rests to support her as much as you can. When she is nursing on the left side, bring her bottom in a little bit closer and vice versa. Don't let her nurse in a position that lets her weight and gravity cause her mouth to pull down on your breast and nipple. Try moving her body slightly in different ways (higher, lower, side to side, etc.) till the pressure on your breast is lessened.
    Latch baby on and position her head so that it is tilted back more to get the pressure of the top teeth off your breast. For example, if baby is nursing in the cradle position on the left side, bring her body toward the right a bit. This will bring baby's chin up, with her head a bit cocked back, and that moves the pressure of baby's top teeth off the top of the nipple. Don't let her chin rest on her chest.
    Some other ways to get baby's head tilted back more: ask your child to look at you while she nurses, or hold a book up high to read to your child and have her look at the book.
    When you support your breast with 2-4 fingers underneath and thumb on top, push in against the chest wall with your index finger just before offering the breast. This will cause the nipple and areola to point down more, so that they don't rub against baby's upper teeth. This technique is often suggested for moms who have nipple soreness due to their nipples rubbing up against the roof of baby's mouth.
    Ask baby to open WIDE and show her with your own mouth. Tell her that it hurts mommy and ask her to try again until it feels better.
    A generous application of lanolin before and after feeding may be helpful, as will rinsing your nipples with cool water after feedings. When babies are teething they produce more saliva which can be irritating to nipple tissue. If baby is eating solids, sometimes food particles left in the mouth can also irritate nipple tissue, so it may help to rinse out baby's mouth or give baby a sip of water prior to nursing.
    Any time you experience soreness, go back to the basics of latch just as you did in the early days.
    It's also possible that some of the tenderness is a result of ovulation or an impending menstrual period. Many moms of older babies are more bothered with latch on and baby's teeth during these times.

I find that for me the rememdy is supporting his weight well so he doesn't pull down.  Means I need to go back to using pillows.
I took the photo in colour and then converted to black and white in photoshop. I don't like the bw settings on the DSLR I have as it looks to flat, plus if I have a colour versions I can do any sort of adjustments.

Chantel a friend of mine who doesn't really cook, got a thermomix and is loving it.
Happy Birthday Axel

Ogglyn I am about 5kgs above all my pre Will weight and have the same problem.  I went into hospital with cysts and the nurse thought I was pregnant as I have a belly but not much in the way of legs and a*se.  No tips sorry - I like layering.
Runny Babbit

Happy Birthday Nathanl

I can't believe our babies are turning one!!!!! and my last baby is no longer a baby sad.gif.  Lachie had his one year check last week and is 25% for length, 50% for weight and off the chart for head circumfrence (all actual not adjusted). DH had a big head when he was a child and his Dad called him butter box head.
AFM I have done 3 peices of assessment for uni and have another one due at the end of next week.  I have been going to monthly ACM (Australian College of Midwives) meetings and am just loving getting out and about and really enjoying my degree.  The only thing I don't like is that I am part-time and in hindsight I could have coped with the full time work load, but never mind.

#541 au*lit

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

Thanks Mands. I do almost all feeds lying down, so I'll have to try some of the other tricks.

Can you change to full time next semester?

Ogglyn I'm probably not much help as I haven't had to get back into my work wardrobe yet. But have you tried shift dresses that skim over the tummy? You can add a bit of shape with jackets or cropped cardigans.

#542 Small Potatoes

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

Au*lit I love feeding whilst lying down, however I find this is the worsed for my poor nipples

ETA: No I can't go full time as I needed a subject from this semester as a prereq for the other subject next semester sad.gif

Edited by Small Potatoes, 26 April 2012 - 05:53 AM.

#543 purple_daisy

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

Ogglyn I totally feel your pain re the wardrobe. I'm about 4kg over my pre-pg weight but I had put on about 3 or 4kg in the couple of months before falling pg - having all those 'lasts' like last soft cheese platter, last maccas sunday, last cocktail night, last this last that....  rolleyes.gif so immediately before falling pg my work clothes were already starting to feel too tight. I have just got a number of different coloured cardigans and am wearing them over plain black t-shirts with round necklines (the low neck necklines that don't look like t-shirts) and I have a few nice preppy looking scarves that I wear as well. I did have to go and buy some size 18 pants though cry1.gif

Sorry to read of all the girls with sore nipples. That makes me cringe and want to hold my (.)(.)s hehehe. I hope some of the tips help.

Small Potatoes you sound so happy with your course, that is lovely! Do you have the option of going full time next year or once you start part time do you have to stick with it?

AFU DD is over her terrible vomitting bug, she passed it to both DH and me so we ended up being a pretty miserable household for a few days but all ok now. I've started back at work a few days a week and while I am enjoying using my brain and having some grown up time out of the house I miss DD a lot by the end of the day. She is really happy at childcare though so I don't have any qualms about leaving her there which is a blessing.

Have a great weekend everyone!

#544 runnybabbit

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

Hi everyone. We've just come home from getting Nathan's 12-month vaccinations. He was quite brave, only whinged a little with the first needle, but by the fourth (!) needle he was well and truly over it. He did soothe quite quickly on the breast, though, and now he's wolfing down corn and zucchini pancakes for lunch.

We had a lovely student CHN, she has a girl around Nathan's age herself. Nathan's almost triple his birth weight at 9.52 kg and 76 cm. Can't find where they wrote it in the book, so no idea about percentiles!

I quite like watching him eat, it's so cute -- is this how some kids get fat?

Purple daisy Nathan also starts day care next week, once a week on Thursdays. That's all the centre can offer us at this point, so it's more about easing him into the environment and giving me a day off each week. Hopefully he'll get up to three days a week in a few months, then I'll probably start working two days a week and have one day for shopping/cleaning/massages/long naps (ha).

We've still been trying half-heartedly for #2, but my cycles are very erratic. Have only had two post-partum periods, one when Nathan was 9 months, then the next 6 weeks later. It's been 8 weeks since that last period, I'm not pregnant or menstruating, go figure!

#545 ChantelM

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

runnbabbit - What a brave little man! Good luck with your TTC conceive journey. I am sure it will happen before you know it. In the meantime I am sure you DH is loving the practice  biggrin.gif
Good luck with Nathan at daycare. I am sure he will love it. Axel does original.gif

Weight  - I am also about 4kgs above my ideal weight. I try to eat relatively healthy but finding the time to exercise a challenge!

AFU - Axel is doing really well. We had his birthday party on Saturday and it went well. He absolutely loved the ball pit I hired, it had a small slippery dip inside it and he played on that constantly. Although, he enjoyed climbing up it more than actually sliding down.

His sleeping is going pretty well at the moment. He is going down at home without a complaint. I am giving him a dream feed still as I am finding it helps him sleep until around 5am. He has another bottle in his cot and then doesnt wake until between 6-7. He is still a little all over the place though, we get a few good nights and then a few bad. Hopefully the good will slowly stretch over the bad ones original.gif

The only issue I am having is that he is super clingy with me. He is an angel for my Mum (when she was visiting) and for my DH when I am not there. As soon as he spots me, he cries and wants me to hold him the entire time. It is so diffcult getting dinner ready when he is like this. I know he probably just misses me throughout the day, it just makes doing standard chores like dinner really difficult!

Otherwise, he is thriving. Still not walking but he is letting go of objects now and balancing. He did take his first step at daycare the day before his birthday! He hasn't done it since though. He is trying to talk a little more and constantly babbles. He has learnt 'bath' now but calls it a 'baaa' LOL.

I am getting his 1 year old needles on Friday. Wish me luck cry1.gif

#546 runnybabbit

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:36 AM

Well, ladies, I had a positive pregnancy test last night.

We've been suspecting that Nathan has a cows' milk protein intolerance, so instead of giving him cows' milk at day care we will be giving him EBM, so I have been trying really hard to express for him. I went to my GP and got a script for Motilium, and filled it yesterday afternoon. I just thought, well, before I start on teratogenic drugs, better check again (had a negative test only three weeks ago) -- and there they were, two pink lines. My exact words were, "Holy f-, I'm pregnant."

So the one time we had sex in the past three weeks (plenty of house guests, MIL and my parents and a friend) did it. The reason I did the previous test three weeks ago was because between my first and second post-partum periods, there was a gap of six weeks. It has been 7.5 weeks since my second post-partum period, and, well, looks like I won't be getting one for a while again.

I'm happy, but also freaked, because it was unexpected, what with the erratic cycles and the low frequency of sex. Still, it's only very early days yet (estimated only 4 weeks along). I have told my sister and my cousin, and we'll leave it at that for now. Can't tell my parents as they'll need to blab it to all their friends first chance they get.

So it looks like we have an EDD of 8 Jan 2013. If I go 3ish weeks early again, we might end up with a Christmas baby. wink.gif

Nathan is going to be a big brother. He's still such a baby in so many ways. Sometimes I look at him and he looks like a real little boy, and this reinforces it. He's growing up!

#547 purple_daisy

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Runnyrabbit congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic news!!!! What a lovely way that will be to start the new year with a brand new little one  biggrin.gif

ChantelM How did the vaccinations go today? DD has hers in two weeks and I'm not looking forward to it very much.

AFU DD is now regularly pulling herself up to stand, usually on our legs/pants when we sit in the loungeroom. I can't get over how grown up she looks when she is standing up - where has my little incy wincy baby gone?

The last couple of nights she has started to wake up and cry about 2 or 3 hours after she has gone down so around 9/10ish. Last night she cried off and on for about 45 minutes despite DH going in and rocking/patting/cuddling her a couple of times. I know she isn't hungry as she devours about 2 cups worth of vegies for dinner. She has had a cold so I am hoping that is what is waking her, and keeping my fingers crossed that this won't be a habit. We've had 5 months of her sleeping 11 hours straight and I am pretty used to that now. Has anyone else's baby started randomly waking after being a good sleeper?

#548 ogglyn

Posted 05 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Purple daisy - robin has woken up around 11pm or midnight a couple of nights this week, also after a couple of months of sleeping 11hrs. I put teething gel on and could feel very lumpy gums where his canines are so could be tht, but it didn't settle him. So I gave him milk and he drank 200 ml and went to sleep. Second night I just made his bottle before going in to him, fed him and he was happy. He didn't do it last night but I gave him meat and pasta with his vegies for dinner, and he had some cake too. He seems to be hungrier than usual lately.

Runnybabbit - congratulations!!! original.gif wonderful news original.gif

Sorry keeping this short. It's been a difficult week with both kids waking up at all hours, landscaping started in the backyard coinciding with very rainy week = mud everywhere, first week back at work, robin's mini party last night, niece sleeping over, baby shower and another niece's party today, babysitting mil's puppy tomorrow, that time of the month, I'm struggling to keep up with everything and housework is getting on top of me. Phew.

#549 ChantelM

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

runnybabbit- Congratulations!

purple_daisy - I didnt end up taking him for his vaccinations. He is a little bit sick so didnt want to make him feel worse. Plus, I wasn't sure if they could get a needle when they had a cold. Will probably do it this coming Friday instead.

Axel still wakes randomly, I am still giving him a dream feed about 9 before I go to bed, he seems to sleep better this way and I usually don't hear him until about 5am then I give him his first bottle and he goes back to sleep for a little while. He is still very random though, some nights he just wants me to nurse him and there is nothing else that will settle him.

ogglyn - Hope you get on top of everything soon, sounds stressful! I have to admit, I never thought  one teeny tiny baby could add so much more work to your day! Its funny though, I wonder what I done with all my spare time before Axel was born  biggrin.gif

#550 Brownbear

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted for a long time - have been reading regularly though!

Runnybabbit, congratulations on your BFP!!! That's so exciting! Wow, 2 ladies in our group are already expecting. Who will be next?

Ogglyn - Sounds as though you have heaps going on at the moment. How has work been?

Mands - Great to hear that you're enjoying your degree! Sorry that the GAMSAT was tough, but you never really know until the results come out. In any case, it sounds as though midwifery will be really rewarding if that's where you finish up.

Happy birthday to all of those who have recently turned one, and to those who are about to have their birthdays.

re Weight - I am below my pre-baby weight, but think the kilos may be starting to creep on now that I'm not breastfeeding as much. My jeans were a bit tight yesterday. I do eat a lot of high-sugar foods - it's probably about time that I cut back. I have also started going to the gym again, and putting Toby in the gym creche for an hour which he seems to tolerate.

re sleeping - Toby is a poor sleeper at night, and has been since about 4 months old. If he wakes up twice it's a really good night; 3 times is average; 4+ times and I sleep in his room with him on a bed on the floor. I just accept it now, as sadly this has become our way of life.

re walking - Toby is now doing a bit of toddling around - his record is 8 consecutive steps - but still mainly crawls. He is starting to really hate the pram, but he has no choice but to go in it when we walk the dog. I've been thinking we might get one of those push-along bike thingies, which hopefully he will be happier on than in the pram.

Toby will be 1 in a week and a half from now. We are having a party in the local hall for family and friends, and the following week our mum's group are having a joint party for all of our bubs.
I'm planning on making a few cakes from the Women's Weekly book - probably the 'hickory dickory dock clock' and the number one.

That's about it!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.