Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

New thread time ladies.

Here's the link to your old thread.

Cheers,
~Mintie~

#2 bright*future

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:40 AM

Hi Spock,

Just a quickie to say congrats on your eggs, will be watching for news on how they fert and test.

How are you feeling today?

Fingers and toes crossed for you.

#3 Spock

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

hi ladies,

thanks for thinking of me bright*future.

just a quick update from me. Of the 9, 7 have fertilised. It is difficult just waiting for the scientist to call. I think it is going to be a tough week.

#4 zjb

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:15 PM

Wow Spock, 7 fertilised that is an awesome number and a good percentage. Fingers crossed for you that this good run continues.

I am sure it is going to be tough week for you, it will seem so long. But this current pain/frustation/impatience is all worth trying to avoid another miscarriage. At least that will be what I try to remind myself of when the waiting starts to drive me insane.

I'll be thinking of you.

#5 bright*future

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:39 AM

7 of 9 is a great start Spock!!! Go you little embies!!! Cheering from the sideline for you all!!

Edited by bright*future, 27 July 2011 - 08:39 AM.

#6 Spock

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

hi ladies,

thanks zjb and bright*future. means alot you are thinking of me and have real understanding of what this all means emotionally.

just a very quick update as super busy at work today. Of the 7 that fertilised, 5 have divided. the 2 that didn't, well I'm guessing that is it for them. Of the 5 that have divided, all are showing some fragmentation mellow.gif . Of these 5, 3 are currently grade A. I was told the pgd testing I'm doing can only be done on grade a embies that are at least 6 cells. If there is too much fragmentation i.e. below grade a, they can't get reliable results because the fragmentation skwes things so lots of false positives. So at the moment there is a maximum of 3 that can be tested. Tomorrow the scientists will discuss the embies with my fs and then they will discuss with me the plan of action. I was so hoping more could be tested, just to have more of a chance of a good one. Back to feeling stressed. We might have to transfer some untested embies if the ones tested all come back abnormal or if none can be tested.

#7 bright*future

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hang in there Spock, hoping the three are healthy little fighters and will keep growing.

#8 Wishful thinking

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:41 PM

Hi ladies,

Spock, that was a really good result to get 9 eggs and especially to get 7 to fertilise! Its amazing how quickly your numbers reduce though isn't it? 3 is still a decent number to get tested so stay positive. You just need 1 normal one and you'll get your transfer. I am really hoping for you that you make it to transfer. I know how devastating it is to get so far and then get the 'no go'. I really feel for you this week, the waiting is so so hard.
Fingers crossed for a perfect little blastie for you to transfer tomorrow. What tm is your appt?

How is everyone else doing?

Zjb, have you had a further discussion with your FS? Any further decisions on what you are going to do?

afm, i had a bit of good news yesterday in that they can get me in for testing earlier. EPU is now 10 September and although its only 2 weeks earlier it has made a big difference to my mental state. Now I am thinking I just have to get through August before things will start happening. My 'lesson' in all of this must be to learn some patience.

We have some lovely sunshine here today so that always helps too.

Wishful Thinking. x

Edited by Wishful thinking, 27 July 2011 - 04:44 PM.

#9 zjb

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:42 PM

Hi ladies,

Spock, I have everything crossed for you that those 3 grade a's continue growing well so they can tested. I agree with wishful thinking that 3 is still a good number for testing (but I also totally understand wanting more so the chances are higher). The suspense of waiting for the next announcement is significant, and that is just for those of us here that are wishing you the best. I can't quite imagine what it is like for you, but I am begining to see how hard it will be for me.

Wishful thinking, congrats on having an earlier EPU, two weeks is such a long time in this game. If you learn how to get that patience I sure would like to know.

You asked about our next steps: do you mean choice of cycles? If so we have definitely decided to go ahead with the cgh testing. If it was in terms of the decision to test or not if our numbers are low, we have a plan but until we get closer knowing the expected number I am trying not to think about it too much.

Hi to everyone else.

zjb.

#10 Spock

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

hi ladies,

zjb, yes I'd very much like our chances to be higher. I guess I should be happy to even get to testing this time. when does your cycle start?

wishful thinking, thanks for understanding. I do hate how the numbers fall so quickly! any transfer will be Saturday. great your epu has been brought forward, it really isn't that far away at all.

bright*future, thank you as well.

hi anyone else out there.

well, only 1 was a grade a embie that was suitable for testing. The remaining 4 are all grade b - too fragmented for testing. It is expensive but we went ahead with the testing of the 1 embie. My seriously low amh means I can't really afford the time another m/c will cost me - it took my body 6 months to get back to normal after the last m/c.

Biopsy was successful and we find out tomorrow the result. I think even if this embie comes back abnormal, we might have a couple of grade b embies we can still transfer on Saturday. Will need to talk this over with the fs but I am keen to just transfer them. I already have 2 frozen grade b embies from previous cycles. Oh I just don't know what to think. I have a big work lunch on tomorrow too, right when I should be hearing from the scientist.

#11 zjb

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Oh Spock, a big work lunch tomorrow right at the expected time of call that really adds to the pressure. I don't know if this would work, but any chance you could call for the results yourself after the lunch or does that not leave enough time to talk to FS etc. It might also drive you crazy during the lunch but waiting for the call would be so distracting for me (and then not knowing how I would react afterwards). Best of luck for that one embryo, as they always say it does only take one. It is great that the biopsy was successful.

It has just occurred to me that either way tomorrow emotions could be everywhere. If it is normal there will be excitment but as well I'd imagine there will be nerves/fear (will I get the BFP, will it all go well). Likewise if it found to be abnormal there will be huge dissapointment but a touch of relief for knowing that you have avoided another miscarriage. I truly hope it is the first option for you.

I totally understand the cost of time. Not only is there the emotional recovery after a miscarriage but that physical recovery has a huge impact. It currently is one of my big fears and we tried to factor that in to the decision on the minimum number to test (versus transfering untested).

Hopefully my cycle starts in a couple of weeks.

Best of luck for tomorrow and Saturday.

#12 josie01

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hi Ladies
just popping in to see how you are all going....

Spock - I bet you are goin crazy waiting for that call......I used to call and email and hound them waiting for results/updates......unfortunately PGD is a continual reducing numbers 'game'.....just when you think you have a reasonable number of eggs, each step they reduce and reduce and reduce....I remember a few times turning up for ET not knowing if we had anything to transfer - assuming that we had not had a call on the way and therefore hoping to have at least one make it through.....we only ever got 3 all up that passed testing and were transferred (then the horrid 2ww).....we often had many embies not good enough to test which felt like such a waste.  I hope your last little emby passes with flying colours and that you get to transfer today/tomorrow?

zjb - hoping you get to start cycling soon and that we will be spying you for some good news.

Wishful thinking - September will be here before you know it....enjoy August and try not to think about IVF/PGD too much (I know how hard that is).

Hi to Bright Future and anyone else I have missed.

#13 bright*future

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

Hi all,

Just popped in for some news from Spock - thinking of you.

Happy Friday to one and all!

#14 siobhan1980

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Hey guys

Sorry I’ve missed quite a bit of the action. ohmy.gif

Spock I very much hope that your phonecall today went well! That must have been SO awful, sitting through a work lunch just WAITING for that bl00dy call. I really believe the six days between pick up and transfer is the worst part of IVF and it drags and drags like ten years. And you just feel like everything is on the line and you are a sitting duck and all you want is one freaking healthy embryo to transfer. I hope everything is on track for you, my fingers and toes are crossed.

Wishful thinking I’m glad to hear your EPU got brought forward 2 weeks, I totally understand how much of a relief that must be. During my cycle in March, it got pushed BACK ten or so days and I was super upset. My DH thought I was a bit crazy after waiting over a year to start IVF.

Hi to all of the other rad pgd-ers!

AFM, some weird developments on my end- I went to see FS last Friday with really bad abdominal pains which I was convinced was Asherman’s (thanks google). He decided to put me on the table that afternoon (was quite a shock going back to work to shut my computer down and then catch a cab to the hospital) seeing as I had started sniffing gonal-f that day and he wanted to see whether something was lurking there, which could muck up my cycle. Turns out I had a new adhesion sticking the back of my uterus to my pelvis which he blasted out. Today was my follow up and we had a very frank discussion about things. He agreed that 450 iu of gonal f is probably a bit OTT for me and there is no point trying to blast out a few more eggs at the potential expense of hyperstimulating me (even though I have low AMH I mildly hyperstimulated last time) and compromising the quality of the ones that do mature. He wouldn’t agree to take it all the way back to 300iu though so we met in the middle and I will now be starting on 375iu this Tuesday.

Also, he conceded that PGD is not a very financially viable option for us if I only have a few embryos to test each time, given that we know 50% of mine will be affected by the dodgy ticker gene. So he said that if I do not lay happy.gif more than a dozen eggs this cycle (which I most certainly won’t, last time I got six mature ones) they’ll fertilise and freeze them on day 1 and then I’ll cycle straight away after AF, so PGD can be done on the haul from two attempts. Given that my clinic charges over $5,500 for the PGD, courier fees and day 5 blasto culture, this seems sensible to me. I am a bit daunted at the thought of cycling twice in a row and pushing a possible transfer out even farther into the distance, but I think I’d rather go this way then have a repeat of last time with potentially nothing left on day six. It seems surreal that the IVF bit is the “cheap” part of this process, but I guess you guys know what I’m talking about.

Is anyone else considering this approach in the future?

xxx

Edited by siobhan1980, 29 July 2011 - 04:20 PM.

#15 zjb

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for thinking of me Josie01. It certainly will be good to start.

Happy Friday to you too Bright*Future. It sure is a good part of the week.

Siobhan1980, you certainly have had interesting week. Hope you are feeling physically ok now after the procedure. And after the frank discussion, that you feel good mentally too. We are seriously considering doing what you are suggesting if egg laying numbers are low (love that expression), but I think the scientist said they would take them to blastocyst, biospsy, freeze and cycle again. We haven't spoken with the FS yet about it though (it was the geneticist who suggested it) so who knows what path we will end up on. Our PGD fees are the same (I think) so I totally understand the cost component.  Good luck with the cycle.

Spock, hope you are doing ok today.

Hi to everyone else.
zjb

#16 Spock

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:54 PM

hi ladies,

siobhan, you have certainly been through alot! I like the sound of your idea for 2 back to back cycles (although difficult). I actually discussed this idea with dh but i think he is too traumatised by the whole ivf process we have been through so far, he doesn't want to risk freezing anything we don't have to for fear of losing them. I'm still going to discuss this with my fs though, sometimes I think because dh is watching me going through all the physical side of this he finds it difficult to cope.

bright*future, josie and zjb, thanks for checking in on me and sharing your thoughts which are so in tune with my own with this pgd testing.

well, the nurse rang yesterday right in the middle of my work lunch but they didn't have any results as yet so they just organised the transfer time for today. had a transfer at lunch time but not the embie that was pgd tested. The results came back saying it was abnormal. Fs told us at the clinic this morning. Out of the remaining embies, there were 3 B grade decent looking ones yesterday but this morning that had become 1. So that 1 B grade embie which they couldn't test has been transferred. Of course we want to be hopefule etc but after my bad run of every bfp turning into a m/c it is difficult. I think I am also sad about the abnormal embie. So I guess I am part way through the 2ww, yet again. Bt is booked for mid next week.

I am trying not to think to far ahead but it is so difficult. I think I am going to see the counsellor this week and start discussing egg donors, adoption etc, just to start preparing myself. Dh and I have kind of discussed that we will attempt to try 3 rounds of pgd testing, hopefully all this year and if nothing works by then to consider adoption (which we have started the process for anyway) and egg donors (probably overseas). I think I might have to come to grips with the very real risk that my eggs are essentially all bad and that is going to take me time to accept (and be happy anyway).

so yes, we did make it ti transfer but my hppes for success aren't high. We just didn't want to freeze another B grade embie (we have 2 frozen already) and my fs thought it was worth giving it a shot.

I know it is very much a numbers game but not sure how many more 'bad' numbers I can take.

sorry for the long 'me' post. I don't even know what to say to my family, who, while supportive, are really getting on my nerves with their endless optimisim when they really have no idea.

#17 zjb

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:02 AM

Spock, I am sorry about your tested embryo coming back abnormal. Must be difficult to deal with.

All the very best for the embie you have on board. I really hope that you get a BFP and then a trouble free pregnancy.

Though if that isn't what the universe has planned for you, I hope you can avoid a miscarriage this time around, which means a BFN. That way at least you can take your next step much faster.

I imagine that might sound insensitive but as we both know the pregnancy/miscarriage/recovery path is not only emotionally and physically painful/exhausting but stressful due to the delays it causes to starting new steps.

Wishing you the best for everything including getting you head around all issues facing you (btw everything you write makes perfect sense to me).

Do you have any plans for distraction during your TWW?

zjb.

#18 Wishful thinking

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Hi all,

Have been thinking of you all and tracking what's been happening on my phone but haven't had a chance to get my computer set up this week and is to hard to post anything significant on my phone.

Spock, I am sorry to hear that the tested embie came back abnormal.  It is definitely a bitter pill to swallow.  Hoping that the untested one transferred was a goodie - my fs always says that it is interesting how some of the ones that don't look the best end up producing the ongoing pregnancies.   I agree with zjb though, if its not meant to be, I hope it doesn't take and you can get on with trying again.  Would really hate you to go through another m/carriage.  Will be thinking of you for the remainder of the 2ww. bbighug.gif  
In terms of pgd testing, we are probably only going to do this one last cycle (depending on results) and like you, a maximum of 3.  If our embies are all abnormal again then I think combined with our history of successive BFN's that it is more than likely that (like you said) they are all bad and we need to come to terms with that.  We too will then consider other options.  Would like to further discuss donor eggs/donor embies/adoption with you - is it okay to send you a pm?.

Siobhan, wow, from work to the operating table.  Hope you are feeling okay now and glad it hasn't interferred with your cycle.  So will you be doing a back to back cycle after this one before testing?

Zjb, where are you at with things?  Hope you are doing well original.gif

Bright*future, Josie, Farmgal - hi waves.gif

Afm, it hasn't been a good weekend for us.  My in-laws live interstate and my father-in-law has had 2 heart attacks in the last 2 days.  Put DH on a plane last night to go and see him so just waiting to hear how he is going.  I think someone else in here said, when it rains, it certainly seems to pour.  Thanks also everyone for understanding what it means to have EPU brought forward.  To the world outside pgd, I'm not sure people understand the significance that 2 weeks can make and think i am a bit nuts getting so excited over 2 weeks.  

Wishful thinking. x

#19 Spock

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:26 AM

hi ladies,

wishful thinking, so many thoughts and questions are in my mind, like you it seems. happy for you to pm me although i'm probably just as confused as you. I am happy to share my own thoughts, information I have found etc. I do hope your upcoming cycle gives you that great embie that is the right one.

zjb, thank you and yes, I understand what you are saying and I agree. I am hoping for either a successful complete live birth as the best outcome of course, but otherwise a bfn. At least then no m/c to deal with - emotions, physical effects, time.

both of you have been so understanding and I do appreciate this. when I posted last I was very down and I'm still all over the place with my thoughts. I have booked an appt with the counsellor tomorrow. Even if ivf works out for us, I don't think I can do this again for a 2nd child. Too traumatic a journey to get the 1st child (and that's assuming that this works!) so either way I need to explore egg donation, adoption. I don't want to make any rushed decisions but I'm very aware I don't have time on my side or a supply of good embies.

#20 farmgal

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:33 PM

Spock - Well done on the transfer - here's hoping the embie is a goodie, fingers crossed for you. What a rollercoaster ride IVF can be - all the best for youxx

Wishful thinking - hope your father in law is doing okay.

hello to everyone else.

Not much happening here, just making pumpkin soup before the pumpkin goes off and trying to catch up on all the washing. We all had gastro last week and it was awful! sick.gif

#21 Spock

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:51 PM

hi farmgal and thanks for your wishes. Gastro! yuk!

wishful thinking, I forgot to also add that I hope your FIL is doing okay and your dh too. Extra difficult when you can't just swing by easily and see how family/friends are doing. My inlaws are also interstate so i know how you feel when these terrible scary things happen. hope all is okay now.

hi everyone else, I'm catching up on work at home as just so snowed under. PT work is not really PT I think.

#22 casses

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Girls Hang in there. Don't give up. Three failed cycles for me with 46 rotten eggs in total and finally one miracle baby arrived naturally. Afterwards I thought IVF was my way of clearing out the baddies. I hope you get the miracles you all deserve too.

Edited by casses, 02 August 2011 - 02:22 PM.

#23 Belinda33

Posted 02 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

Hi ladies -

I am new to this and after some advice. I have also posted in the low ovarian reserve thread. So I have pretty much just copied that.

I'm after such much needed advice. I'll give you a brief history. I have just had my 5th m/c and we know that two had down's. Including the last one. We got to 14weeks with the last one. We have had all the tests done with Sydney IVF to see what was going on. The only things that came up were that I have elevated anti cardiolipin antibodies and low ovarian reserve (AMH 5.4). I'm 35 and we have been conceiving quite easily, on average it takes us 3 cycles. I do have a DD who is 4 and we had no trouble conceiving her and no troubles with the pregnancy. Have been trying to conceive 2 since July 09 and not too much trouble conceiving but have lost everyone of them.

Atm I am going to get an app with a genetic counsellor to discuss our risks of future downs pregnancies. But I'm not sure if we should keep trying naturally or start IVF.

I'm not sure how bad an AMH of 5.4 is ????
If we did do IVF it would be with PGD but I need to investigate this more as Sydney IVF are extremely expensive to the point that I don't think we can even afford it.

I need as much information as I can get. Can any of you give me a realistic idea of the cost involved in one whole cycle of IVF including the PGD. Currently our PHI doesn't cover IVF.

Do they give you an idea of what the average number of cycles is for a successful preg and if so what are they ?

We are low income earners and to be honest at this point in time I think we could only afford one cycle (this is with Syd IVF). Is it completely unrealistic of me to think that it could happen in one cycle ??

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Sorry to bomard your thread but need real advice from you ladies who are living through this process. I need to make an educated decision as to whether it is the right decision for us to go down this path. Also I am thinking I will have to increase our Private health insurance to top hosp cover so that IVF is covered and if this is the case will have to wait 12 month before starting.

I'm sorry for all the questions but I just really don't know what to do now.

#24 josie01

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:00 PM

Hi Ladies

Spock - I am so sorry your tested emby failed.....you never know about the one you now have onboard...stanger things have happened.  Good luck......I understand about exploring other options, we started looking in to Donor Sperm (but DH was not too sure about this) and adoption etc......it is all just so daunting....you think IVF is a rollercoaster......let's hope you dont have to worry about those options.

Wishful thinking -sorry about your FIL......I know what it is like trying to juggle IVF when you have ill relatives (my MIL passed away during our final cycle)....I like to think that she is now an angel looking over us and had some kind of helping hand.....I hope you and DH are not stressing too much.

Siobhan - back to back cycles is a great idea, I actually asked my FS/PGD nurse if we could do something similar, but they would not allow it - lucky yours actually suggested it.

Belinda - welcome.......I guess the girls currently cycling would be better able to answer your questions on cost etc...I know SIVF is much more expensive than other clinics......our PGD journey ended 18 months ago so I am sure costs are much more now...but for us just the PGD testing was $4K per cycle and that was whether you tested one or more embryos...hence why some take the option (like we did) to transfer without testing.  Our Private Health insurance only covered the hospital fees and anaethetist etc.....Good luck with your journey.

Hi ZJB, Farmgal, Casses, Rosie and anyone else I have missed.

#25 zjb

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:11 PM

Hi all,

Sorry for not answering everyone, going through a bit of a down patch at the moment. Will be back later in the week for more personals.

Just quickly:

Spock - still thinking of you.

Belinda33 has anyone at Sydney IVF told you about the PGD assistance program, it is on their website. The standard fees for PGD are expensive, for example array CGH (which counts the chromosomes) the out of pocket is around $5.5K for one stim cycle I think.

Please check all this information on the website but the PGD booklet states that it was created to help families you would otherwise be unable to affort PGD and that it provides the PGD services at either no cost or for a co-contribution depending on circumstances (and it covers two cycles). The commitee that decides which applicants get approved apparently meet regularly throughout the year (apparently the dates are on the website - it looks like it is quarterly with next closing period at the end of October), so maybe it would be worth applying while you make your mind up and at the same time increase the PHI (fyi: for each cycle PHI might only cover $1K, a small fraction of the total cost). Then if and when you are ready it is all in place and hopefully your out of pocket is nearly all covered.

After having 4 miscarriages (3 natural, 1 IVF) I think PGD is worthwhile (having said that though I am yet to complete a PGD cycle), but it is much more emotional and taxing than standard IVF (which is so much more stressful than trying naturally).

All the best with the investigations, there is so much to think through.

If you have anymore questions ask away.

Zjb.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.