February 2010 Parent Group #28

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 Aoibhel

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:40 PM

I had no idea there was a test for lactose intolerance, I thought it was just a 'diagnose by trial and error' type thing.

Something to look into with Rhi. It's looking like she is moderate/severely salycilate intolerant, so we are dubious of our initial lactose intolerant leanings. sad.gif Now that we have a suspect, the horrid nappy rash is pretty much gone and controllable - I feel so mean having to withhold so many foods from her.  sad.gif

#52 eidel

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Aiobhel I'm not familiar with what foods have salicylate in them? but at least you have an answer potentially to clear up the nappy rash. What other symptoms did she have?  

ME Maybe now Elias will start catching up weight wise!  I hope everything is going well with little Matilda and she's home and happy with her family.  

Tammy What are you planning for Connor's birthday?  

ALM Hope no foot and mouth contractions.  Child care really sounds like a zoo sometimes, there's always an outbreak of that one where Heidi and Elke go.  Luckily we've never picked it up, but they always seem to be in a constant cycle of colds.  

L!sa How did Thomas' health check go?  We don't have them anymore here.  Next one after 18 months is the 3 1/2 years, which I didn't bother with Heidi.  

AFM As I said still coming off the back of colds and grumpy kids.  Elke finally got her 2 bottom teeth to match the 6 she had at the front, and is now getting some back ones coming through.  She's had a snotty cold thing for about 2 weeks, but nothing major.  Heidi has had some wierd illness, fever last week which I stayed home for on Wednesday (work day for me), but the fever subsided a bit, but she's been complaining of a sore tummy after that for days.  Now I'm not sure if she has a sore tummy or not, cause she's figured out that when she's sick she gets to stay home from child care!  I really don't think she has a sore tummy anymore though, cause she's not complaining of it at the end of the day when she's at home.  Hmmmm, when to believe them, or not?  

She has been driving me up the wall though, but I'm just hoping its just being generally run down a bit and tiredness, not just her personality!  She's off to kinder next year, so I'm looking forward to that, and she is too.  I just don't know what Elke's going to do without her at child care. Every time I pick them up they are like siamese twins - always next to each other.  It's so cute, but Heidi really likes playing with her.  

Anyway, enough from me, where is everyone?

#53 Stained

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi girls!

Heidelke I am sure Aiobhel can tell you more but salicylates are in lots of brightly coloured foods. IE tomatoes, capsicum, watermelon (I think) and a quite a few others...
I sucks when they get wise and know how to play you doesnt it! But reading your post makes me glad we arent in childcare, the constant sickness might just drive me insane!
It is very cute that the girls are such good friends! I hope it lasts their whole lives!

Aiobhel It must be so hard when you cant explain to her why she cant have things sad.gif poor chicken!

tam I have WAY too many things to think about before birthdays roll around again so dont even mention them Tounge1.gif

Is everyone else getting the supplement vaccine ALM was talking about? I know it sounds terrible but I just dont know if I can be bothered going back AGAIN...

AFU Feeling very pregnant here, with a very sore back and we will hopefully be moving next week. I only say hopefully because we need to be out of this house not because I am looking forward to it...
Everything is going pretty well. DH and I are off to QLD for the weekend for his sisters wedding and leaving the boys for 4 nights  cry1.gif My family is coming to stay at our house with them and my mum is hoping to get a fair bit of packing done for me, which will be fantastic and I so appreciate it!
Actually speaking of packing, I should probably go and finish packing for our weekend away...

#54 Amber Loren's Mum

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:25 PM

Wow a little bit of action in here wink.gif

Heidelke  So cute your girls love playing together.  No hand, foot and mouth disease here (TG!).  We have had about 3 weeks of no snotty nose but last couple of days it has reappeared together with a small blood nose when she woke up yesterday but I dont think her snotty nose is a cold, just this time of year.

Aiobhel  Yay for the ridding of the nappy rash but boo on withholding foods.

AFU  Amber embarked on her first tantrum in the middle of Target last week...went flat on her belly/back and screamed (not because I wasnt letting her have a toy but because she wanted to take off in every direction but the one I wanted to go in.  It was a struggle to put her in the pram/trolley so thought would let her walk (big mistake!).

Well a bit tired, the weather been overcast and muggy.

#55 *~*ME*~*

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

Aiobhel, yep its a Hydrogen breath test to test for LI. they get them to drink some stuff, then breath into some tube thing at different intervals after, so 30 mins, then 1 hr, then 1.5hrs. Sorry to hear Rhi is having Intolerances. It must be so hard.

Tam, hope DS's birthday goes well, when is it?

Christine, hope your family are back to feeling well in no time. totally sucks when they are not well.

Daniela, hope you have a nice time away, its so hard leaving your kids isnt it?? i remember after Craig and I got married, we stayed at a hotel for 2 nights... i cried because i missed Miah, just wanted to be at home with her.

ALM, Tantrums are horrible arent they? Hope Amber doesnt have too many more especially when you are out in public, everyone seems to stare!

AFU, well Elias is doing ok,  he is now 9.5kgs, Looks like he will have to have grommets, as he has had ear infection after ear infection... its been hard as he was always such a happy baby and now he is spending most days miserable as he is in pain. He is on AB's, and the appt with the ENT is in 2 weeks. DS1 went through the same thing and as soon as he got grommets put in was ten times better.

Matilda is doing ok, she is still little around 3.2kgs. but is now 6.5 weeks old. She sleeps well at night i feed her a bottle @6.30pm Craig feeds her at 11pm, then most nights she sleeps til 5-6am. I went to the drs as i am sure i have a touch of PND. My anxiety levels were high, and i was having trouble sleeping... i am now on 15mgs of mirtazapine, and sleeping so well and feeling heaps better.

I think thats all to report...hope everyone else is well.

Bec
xx

#56 tam1979

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:23 PM

wow lots of talking in here of late.

Aiohbel - sorry to hear A has intollerances not nice is it. How are you feeling lately? Has the business picked up?

Stained - hope you have nice time at the wedding i am sure you will have a great time although I can imagine it being hard being away from the kids.

Me - well done on recognising the start of PND, good that you are feeling better already xxx

ALM - ugh tantrums, arwen is a cracker, but contains all her tantrums to the house thankfully.

heidelke - sounds like an age thing as DS is doing my head in at the moment too sad.gif He goes from angel to devil in seconds!
Hope you all get well soon.

Immunisation - I am getting Arwen's needle done on the 7th when I take DS for his 4yr needles.

I haven't taken DD for awhile to get weighed I thought about it last week but never got there.

It is DS birthday on Thursday, we are having a party with a few little friends from 3-5pm and then more friends/family over for tea. Pretty quiet one this year.

Lisa/Snicker - how are you both?

Great to see a little bit of chatting happenind again  biggrin.gif

#57 Aoibhel

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

I never thought as describing the salicylate foods as brightly coloured, but that fits perfectly. Anything with colour we have to be wary of - even apple peels. Melons are the worst offenders - even a teaspoon of any melon is enough to overload. sad.gif

http://www.foodcanmakeyouill.co.uk/salicylate/index.html

Typical symptoms: gas, shiny liquid #2s, very ammonia pees, chemical burn nappy rash, (leading to open bleeding wounds) random bouts of screaming and feral behaviour.

I would prefer allergies, frankly. I have both intolerance and allergies, and the allergies are SO much easier to work around. So many people don't understand how serious intolerances can be. rant.gif "Oh we gave her some melon since she has no allergies." I left SPECIFIC instructions that she could NOT have any foods not in her provided food bag. I spent the next three days in tears because she was either melting down, screaming, or bleeding from her nappy rash. rant.gif

I could cope with even a half dozen foods no worries - but 90% of what the rest of the family eats? cry1.gif The balancing act of what foods she has had and where they fall on the offender chart is just so much, especially if someone who is not me or my hubby gives her a snack.

We've also identified another potential intolerance/allergy - soy. sad.gif

stained We are planning to get the supp. vaccine - just a matter of finding a spare brain cell to make the appointment. It's not a critical thing, so it slides down the task list.

me If you need someone to talk with who understands PND/anxiety, drop me a note. One breath at a time. original.gif Give that lovely bundle a snuggle for me.

R has started the tantrums as well, and picked up my primal scream from the bad days of July/August. She has got quite the a pair of lungs. :/

Work/business... that's another discussion, but one not fit for a public forum.

Edited by Aoibhel, 09 November 2011 - 11:30 PM.

#58 Gone-Country

Posted 21 November 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hi everyone.

It's been a long time since I posted in here sorry. It's a shame really. I got a lot out of my June 04 group Lily. I think social networking has killed forums to a degree!

Anyway, all going ok here. Hard to believe that we are 5 weeks out from Christmas and in 8 weeks and 2 days my 'baby' turns TWO.  I am really struggling to get my head around the fact that he's nearly two.  Those years have just sped by in a blur really.  I have to say though, that I am loving this age. Apart from the tantrums and the determination and stubbornness, they really are little sponges at this age and learn so much.

Tom's vocabulary is so broad, he talks all the time, says so many words and is always on the go. He climbs, runs, jumps, you name it. He rarely sits still.  Although, he also has a great love for books and will sit and spend ages just looking through the books in his box.

The girls are fantastic with him and they all get on so well.

I am pretty good.  I don't know if I have posted since I spent a day in emergency with a gallstone? Given it's just one, it's not enough for them to operate, but it decides to flare up every now and then, and I haven't felt 100% for a long time. I have gotten myself into bad habits of not sleeping properly and not exercising, so I feel blerk. I really need to try and sort myself out a bit I think.

Apart from that life is just full on hectic with the girls gymnastics, piano, girls brigade. DH is on the Board at school and in the fire brigade. I am working a few hours a week, also am now the Secretary of the local Plunket Committee, which is basically the committee behind the health centre/health nurses. I'm also still doing my scrapbooking. So we are all so busy. It's fishing season too, so DH often gets out fishing on weekends. We all need time to unwind so we are thinking of going to my BILs for a week in the holidays to housesit. They go away each year so we thought we might see if we can stay at their house for a week for some R&R away from home.  No cost for accomodation and we can just chill!

Question - how many of you have put your babes in beds??  Tom is still in the cot, but I am starting to think about a bed as he nears two.

Aiobhel - Food intolerances sound awful. I can imagine that stupid people would just assume you don't like it.  rant.gif.  Tell them it's an allergy instead. People seem to understand that one a bit better.

Needles - There are none on the schedule here between 15 months and 4 years.  Chicken Pox is optional and I am going to get Thomas done for that soon though.

Bec/ME - I read on FB that Elias has hit 10kg.  That's awesome!!!  Tom is still little and wasn't much over 10kg when I had him weighed back in Sept. I just keep telling people that someone has to make up that bottom percentile! Without kids like ours there wouldn't be a bottom of the charts.   I hope wee Matilda is a lot better now too. xx

ALM - Don't you love those Tantrums.  The best thing I do now is IGNORE!  They don't like it when they aren't getting the attention and often Thomas will stop and come after me if I just walk far enough away to make it look like I don't care!

Stained - Not long to go hun. I hope you are hanging in there ok.  I can't remember if you said, but do you know what you are having? Are you all ready for the big arrival?  Excited?  How's the unpacking going?

Well, think that's all from me.  Take care everyone.

#59 eidel

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:23 PM

Good to hear from you again Lisa.  I'm with you, its a bit quiet in here and miss my daily fix of baby news on this forum.  It probably is due to FB that its a bit quiet.  Although I do get FB updates from others on here about what the other girls are up to.  

I'm just on here to brag about my minor miracle, both the girls asleep at the same time!  I can't remember the last time this happened.  The trade off is that Heidi won't go to bed on time tonight, but hey, it's worth it for an hour of me time in the middle of the day.  And its such a nice day here, I might go sit on the deck and soak it up.  

Finished Uni for this year, glad to get it out of the way.  Now time to relax and enjoy summer.  The 3 days at work are going really well, but really busy.  Its just nice to spend 8 hours without screaming at anyone or trying to negotiate a toddler and preschooler from wrestling.  

Someones stirring, better go check!  

Hope everyone's OK.

#60 Amber Loren's Mum

Posted 26 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

I miss the banter here in the forums too...since our LO's became active toddlers I guess they keeping us on our toes.  

Amber and I are doing well, she is really gaining a lot from her days at Goodstart Learning (formerly ABC Learning Centre) the 2 days she goes while I work.  As for DP and I, there are a few issues ATM that keep getting in the road but working through them.

Amber slowly dropping off her daysleeps (not every day but becoming more regular).  For those days she doesnt sleep I try and make her rest for at least 1/2 - 1hr.  Today although she didnt want to sleep she jumped into our bed and pointed to the TV, so put on an elmo DVD and she lay there quietly. I must say getting her to sleep at night is a lot easier on the days she doesnt have her day sleep.

Well must go and enjoy the serenity.

#61 tam1979

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

yeah I guess it is hard to keep in contact here (which is a shame) considering most of us are in contact through FB.

Lisa - I am not thinking about a bed yet, Arwen has no interest, she doesn't even stand in her cot. Where Connor was in a bed by now as he kept climbing out of his cot!

ALM - I hope you and DP can work through things quickly, I must admit DH and I are VERY up and down at the moment  sad.gif

heidelke - hope you enjoy your break from Uni.

Aiohbel - some people really have no idea on allergies do they. Thankfully our kids don't have any issues (that we are aware of) but I always ask parents before giving anything to their child.

AFM - just plodding along, getting the last few things ready for xmas, we have most of the shopping done which is a nice feeling.

#62 GIO

Posted 17 December 2011 - 11:58 PM

Hi Girls

So nice to read baby updates.  I saw on FB Karen had a baby yesterday too.

As for us, we are travelling around in our little caravan.  Will be home in a few weeks and then I guess life goes back to "normal" as though anything could be normal with this brigade.

Lisa - Jemima is on a barbie couch at the moment, but I'll be putting her cot up again, I want to keep her in it for as long as I can as she'll be sharing bedroom with the others.  We'll see, she might go ballistic after havingus all sleeping in such close quarters and inisist on being in our room.  Honestly, I don't have the energy to fight it, so that's what she'll get.

She is such a happy little cuties.  She loves walking up to strangers and saying hello and having a chat.  sometimes she'll just give them a cuddle for the sake of it.  I'm so proud of having such a confident little being.

On the other hand she's stubborn as all hell, and violent.  The others were never bashers or biters, but she is both.  Because she is so much smaller than them they just kind of tolerate it and move her to the side, so it never got nipped in the bud, so we are having to deal with that at the moment.  thankfully she has "only" bitten her siblings, never really hard, and not often, so it's hard to catch her in the act.  The bashing is more frequent though.  

Toilet training is slow going.  She's out of nappies when we are here at the caravan.  But still very much needs nappies for out and about - which is most days, so it's just taking longer than any of the others.  Can't get her to pee on a public toilet for love nor money - just wants to wipe herself with the paper.  Oh, plus she's seen too much "bush toileting" by her dad and brothers and will walk up to a tree and try to find her penis, hips thrust forward, and pretends to wee.  Very funny stuff.

She's very much the boss of the family.

I hope everyone has a lovely Christmas.  We are here in Perth for it.

I will hopefully pop in again when we get back to Melbourne!

Ciao
A

#63 eidel

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:33 PM

Thanks GIO for popping back in to say hello!  And also to inform me of Karen new baby.  

Congrats Karen!  Does anyone know the name?  Did she have another girl?  I hope things in the sleep department go a bit smoother for you this time round.  You probably don't want to hear it, but Heidi has started being the defiant one at bedtime now.  It takes all my strength to be calm and patient when all I want to do is to sit down and chill out after the madness of the day.  

I'll be back soon,  Bill Hicks doco starting now.  This guy is a legend.

I'm back now, that was quick, hey?  Oh yeah, and if you didn't recognise me, it's Heidelke (christine).  I thought it was time to update my sig.  

Anyway, managed to do Christmas shopping from beginning to end in 1 1/2 hours yesterday.  I'm determined not to buy too much stuff and make too much of a big deal about Christmas.  And after watching Bill Hicks I'm feeling much better about not buying into the marketing juggernaut that is Christmas these days.  Sorry, if you're familiar with his comedy, you'll understand where I'm coming from.  

In saying that, I still want the girls to have a lovely day and I'm a bit excited as Elke has bit more of an idea of what's going on this year.  I bought her a little wooden baby cradle, as she loves putting babies to sleep at the moment.  Just like Heidi did for years.  She also got a little shape sorter (can't believe she doesn't already have one, so deprived) and a xylophone.  

DH mentioned moving her to a bed soon and I basically said "aaah, no, not yet, no way, she's not ready, can't go there yet, please no........". I just have flashbacks of Heidi moving to a bed when she was 2 1/2 and literally sitting next to her bed for an hour patting her back til she fell asleep and then creeping out of her room.  I say keep 'em locked up as long as you can!  Hmmmmm, bed time - step 1. put in pyjamas and sleeping bag, step 2. put in cot, step 3. make a cup of tea, sit down.  

Anyway, better be going, feeling a little ranty after the doco.  

Hope everyone is well and planning some fun times in the weeks ahead.  

Edited by eidel, 18 December 2011 - 09:26 PM.

#64 Amber Loren's Mum

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:13 PM

Hi just a quick reply to eidel's question...Karen's baby boy is called Hugo Ross.  

BBL to do a proper post but late and should be heading to bed original.gif

#65 eidel

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:13 PM

Thanks ALM. Any news on Danielle?  She hasn't posted on here for ages.  I know she was due this month, right?  Maybe a Christmas baby on the way!

#66 Amber Loren's Mum

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

Eidel, danni had her baby boy on 11/12/2011 - Ezekial.

Never got back to do my post and again it is getting late.  

Amber never been a self settler and it went from rocking to sleeping in a bed next to her to go to sleep and been happy doing it although she has decided to scrap the easy approach now whereby for past week she is resisting ALL sleep and it has resorted us to allowing her to do a bit of crying/screaming and staying out for 5mins at a time.  I am finding this extremely painful and the 5 mins seems forever!!  Tonight is the 2nd night we are doing this approach and she seems to know that she should be in bed because both times I have come to settle her after the 5mins she has climbed into bed on her own accord. (She didnt do this last night just ran at me when I opened the gate flinging herself against me).  The 1st time went in she didnt appear to look like going to sleep so once calmed I walked out and the 2nd time went in knew by her body language, mother's intuition she would go to sleep this time and a 3rd time would not be necessary.  It took a little longer than the 5mins had planned on staying in - 10 mins.

Apart from the getting to sleep issues (once she is asleep will normally sleep through with maybe a few grizzles but goes back to deep slumber quickly) she is doing well.

#67 eidel

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Ladies!  C'mon! A whole month without a post?  And it's birthday season!  Anyway, from memory, happy birthday Amber.  

My 2 girls are going well, just getting Heidi sorted out for starting kinder this year.  She's so excited.  Kinder here is in primary schools, so she gets to wear a school uniform.  Very happy to be a big girl.

As for Elke, what can I say?  She's a funny little thing, already making jokes.  Well, her version of a joke is imitating people in a stupid voice and then laughing.  Or toilet humour.  When watching Mister Maker she sang "I like boobies" instead of "I am the shapes".  I don't know where that came from, def not BF anymore.  She's still a skinny little thing, maybe 11 kgs?  But still growing tall.  She lurrrves whinging, so we call her "Grizelda".  Apparantly my NN when I was little, must be herditary.  

Still waiting for my SIL to have her baby after the 9 year wait to get a sticky one.  She was due on Australia Day, so the wait is driving us all insane.  I was overdue with both of mine, but I'm more anxious about this baby in our family than I ever was about my own.  

All else good, just getting tired about housework, will it ever stop?  

Hope to see a bit more action here.

#68 Gone-Country

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

Hi everyone,

Just popped in to wish all the beautiful babes (the Jan and March ones of our group as well!) a very happy 2nd birthday!  I hope those that have had their birthdays enjoyed, and that those still to come have a wonderful day.

xoxox

#69 Amber Loren's Mum

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:15 PM

It certainly has gotten quiet in here, all very busy with our toddlers now!!!  

You have a great memory Eidel, Amber had her 2nd birthday last wednesday 1/2/2012 and she had a great day, very quiet but a nice day.  Daddy was away for her birthday so it was just me, nanna and Amber.  We had her party on Saturday morning which was great - 10.30am start but that is because all her little friends from mum's group and Amber by 12ish start to get cranky and ratty ready for their sleep (in hope they have one lol).  This year Amber really understood about her birthday and abouto presents and that she was having a party as last year she was so overwhelmed as she was for her 1st Xmas.  After the last guest left at 1ish we sat down and Amber laid back on her little lounge and she fell asleep...the party girl finally got worn out!

Anyway bedtime is a lot easier these days and 'touch wood' sleeping through.  She may wake at about 530ish so I go in and jump in the fold away bed and she climbs in and she sleeps for another 1-1.5hrs.  

Well bed is calling my name so hope to see some more action soon....and yes...happy birthday to all those having birthdays or had birthdays from the January/February 2010 Forums.

#70 hollyruby

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

[hello ladies! just thought id pop in to see whats been happening and apparently everyone has been as busy as me biggrin.gif (i was 36isnotold...had a name change lol)
does anyone elses 2 year old still have a bottle? ruby doesnt eat a whole lot and is still a skinny minnie so has a bottle at sleeptime. this is always well after we have tried numerous different foods.... ive been giving her fruit and yoghurt in the bottle as a smoothie so that shes at least getting something and is now no longer getting regular checks as she has been due to her size.... so at least its helping.... but its probably hindering as well.... arrrggghhh what to do??.

#71 Amber Loren's Mum

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Extremely quiet here!!!!  amber gave her bottle up on own accord probably 3mths ago and replaced it with a sippy cup of water which she will drink a little of but keep it by her bed if she needs it during night or on waking. Amber is by no way skinny minnie...16kg.

#72 *angelmama*

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hello! It's been ages since I've been on EB, let alone this thread. I have another little one due in Feb next year (exact same EDD as DS3 funnily enough) and I got to wondering how all of you Feb '10 mamas were going. So quiet in here these days! Hope you're all doing well. It's been a crazy busy year for us. Can't believe our little ones will be turning 3 in just a few months time!

Take care. xx

#73 tam1979

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

Congratulations  on the pregnancy Angelmama, I have just ventured back onto EB also.
A lot of us are on FB, we don't have a group set up just friends to keep in conctact.

It is amazing how fast our babies are growing!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

A video of a three-year-old taking the ice bucket challenge has gone viral, but many aren't impressed.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.