New thread time ladies

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=905166

#2 Glomer

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:20 PM

GOLD for first time ever. Back later to post for real

#3 purple_daisy

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:50 PM

Silver!!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on cloth nappies. We are going to take the plunge and start next week using old school cloth to help us save a bit of money. I'm by far the main breadwinner and with my mat leave payments running out soon this will be a big help. I've ordered some funky patterned PUL covers from baby beehinds, we've got 36 cloth nappies, snappy clips, napisan and a nappy bucket so we're all set. To get everything we need cost just $120. We're going to stick to disposables at night but try cloth during the day for two weeks and see how we go. I washed a load of the nappies yesterday to see how long they would take to dry - they were totally dry within 6 hours on the clothes airer so I am confident there'll be no troubles over winter. Wish us luck!

We are being admitted to a residential sleep clinic on sunday. DD sleeps like a trooper at night, but from the moment she wakes to about 8pm she will not sleep a wink and just screams and screams when I try to put her in her bed. I got quite a high score on the PND indicator test because it has been wearing me down a lot, so I'm really hoping the clinic will help us out. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Edited by purple_daisy, 14 July 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#4 Minimouse27

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

Bronze!

Hi ladies...sorry I've been AWOL....just busy doing "stuff" (seriously don't know how being a full time mum makes me SOOOO busy- and some days I am just at home and the day FLIES by)

Hope all babies are growing well and happy and healthy.

Lucas is 11 weeks old today and a ball of gurgling, cooing and giggles. Really fun watching him develop- waiting with keen interest for him to discover his hands (which he has started doing this morning I think) and rolling (he can do push ups, so I'm assuming rolling is next??). Some nights we get 10.30-5.30 of uninterrupted sleep, but more often than not he needs a quick feed at 2.30am before he falls asleep again. Thankfully no colic or reflux so I'm certain that second baby for us will be the cheeky one (not that I'm planning No 2 already LOL....still a couple of years to go I think..).

Anyway, stay warm and well :-) Hopefully Melb gives us some sunny days soon- these grey skies are so depressing. My sis is on a 3 month trip to Europe- she is landing in Santorini shortly after a week in Paris. VERY JEALOUS RIGHT NOW! LOL

#5 ChantelM

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

Gisses - Thanks for the PPL link. I really dont want to do any work until I have to anyway. Going back on 6 September. Axel will just be 4 months. It's going to be so hard  sad.gif

Purple_daisy - Sorry to hear you are having trouble with day sleeps. I am a bit the same. Axel sleeps through most of the night only waking for one feed but during the day its a bit hit and miss trying to get him in the cot. He will happily sleep in my arms (as he is now!) but the second I put him down WHAM! He is wide awake... Would love to hear any tips from the clinic once you get home. GOOD LUCK  original.gif

Colds - I think I have also given Axel a small cold. Mine is much worse then his and I am trying my best to not get too close but its hard when you are looking after them all day not to pass it on.

Colic - I am wondering if this is what Axel has at the moment. With some feeds he squirms and cries out but then with other feeds he is perfectly fine.

Also, he has been doing a strange thing since he was a couple of weeks old. It wasn't very often so I wasnt too worried but he has started doing it every night. So basically when I put him in the bath he tightens his whole body up and his little arms go up next to his face and he grunts an goes red. It only last a couple of seconds and he stops. The bath isnt hot. I was wondering if it was just the temp change that might be scaring him. Any ideas?

#6 Small Potatoes

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

I have been reading, however this is the first time in over a week I have had 5 mins to sit down and actually do a decent post.  ohmy.gif .

Nina Lachie is discovering his hands.  Loves to put them in his mouth, though he much prefers his left hand.  I love Santorini, DH and I went there several years ago.

Purple_Daisy I have a huge stash from DS1 & 2 that I was going to start using on Lachie when we got to the new house, however after having two bouts of nappy thrush, I am probably not going to sad.gif.  I am using canestan wash and we are still getting it (as well as 3 different anti-fungal creams and probiotics).  This never happened with the other two, but I have had the sorest nipples from it (sorry if TMI).
DS 2 was almost like that however he would have a 40 min nap in the middle of the day - but that was it.  And by the time I got DS1 lunch and to bed DS2 was awake again.  I didn't know you could go to clinics for day sleep issues I thought it was only night.  I ended up paying a lady $160 for a 2 hour consult to come and show me how to settle and learn some techinques and draw up a loose routine for him and with in about 5 days he was having an hour sleep, a 2 hour sleep and a 30min power kip in the evening.  Saved my sanity.  I was getting depressed too.

Dummy I give one to Lachie occasionally - usually when I am trying to get the boys ready for bed and Lachie wants to be permanently attached to my breast.  It usually only lasts 5-10mins but that is enough to get the boys into bed.  DH and I call it a plug as it plugs the sound.

Gisses I have been using these. Nappies They did have 4-6kg but seem to have sold out.  About half the cost of Huggies even with postage.

Will come back later as Lachie has just woken.

#7 SoTired

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:16 PM

Catching the thread again.... geez I hate it that they dont tell you it has closed!!!! For some reason I can never see the red icon!!!

Edited by gisses, 14 July 2011 - 05:58 PM.

#8 purple_daisy

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:14 AM

Chantel I don't know if it is the same thing, but DD used to have a big fear of the bath and would go red and very tense and scream when we put her in the water. We followed a nurse's suggestion and for a couple of weeks one of us would take her into the shower with us. The next time we put her in the bath she was much happier and just sat there. Also the nurse suggested that we make the bath a little warmer - she thinks mums are sometimes so nervous about burning the baby that they can make the water a little too cool which isn't nice in winter. Good luck!

#9 raindotdot

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

We had a horror night last night - waking up every 30min or so and will not settle from midnight to 6am :-( So exhausting! Finally managed a 3.5 hour sleep in bed with me from 6 to 9pm so we missed our morning routine so everything is pushed back by one nap  cry1.gif

I'm not sure if it's to do with grandma *insisting* on bathing in day time (at 3pm yesterday!) which resulted in stuffing up our night sleeping pattern or that Felix still has a cold and the sniffles/coughs/hiccups keep him awake. Damn hiccups >.<

Nappies - We started using our MCNs 2 days ago. We're using Bumgenius in the day and there have been no leaks, fantastic absorbancy (I changed only the top insert a few times and only used 2x shells during the day) and it looks so cute. At the rate we're changing them, we could probably go for 4 or 5 days before even needing to do a load - is that gross?

ChantelM - Felix was really unsettled the first 4 weeks in the bath. He has grown to enjoy it now, and we don't do anything different. I make sure the room is warm before doing anything though.

was going to do more personals, but someone is stirring  mellow.gif

#10 RedsGirl

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

Hi ladies

Chantel - i think it probably is a reaction to being naked. Babies can take some time to get used to the 'feel' of being in the nuddy and the way the air feels.  Plus they probably feel the temp change more than we do too.  Tabitha is only now beginning to enjoy her bath but everynow and then - for no apparent reason - she will just start SCREAMING.  She has the odd shower; when DD1 was a wee baby and it was just me and her at home we always showered together - nice and relaxing, cuddles and warm water - nice!

Tabitha sometimes squirms after feeds too, I find it is either when she has had enough and i am 'offering' her the boob when she doesn't want it, or she has a bit of wind and needs a mid-feed burb.  I think 'they' say colic goes away around the 12 week mark, or at least reduces greatly.

Sleeping is OK here. She seems to have decided on bedtime around 6.30-7.30pm - she goes down then and we don't hear from her until... well that is the million dollar question!  For a week or more she was waking at 4.30am religiously, but now it can be 12.30am or the other night she slept through to 6.30am blink.gif . Doing my head in a bit, as the earlier she wakes in thenight, the earlier she wakes in 'the morning'. A 12.30am wake up means she's up at 5.30am and with DD1 waking up around 6, that's me up for the day!  I was also sleeping well, but now not so well given her unpredicability.  The key is to get her 6 feeds in 24 hours - I find if she goes one short, we have an early nightfeed.

Day sleeps - she goes down really well 80% of the time (PHEW) but she sleeps for an hour almost to the second (how do they do that?) and I have been trying to resettle her for at least one sleep a day. I usually fail, but had a few good 2 hours stretches which gives me hope!   I can't really do more than that, as then we don't make the 6 feeds in 24 hours.  I think when she drops a feed, we can look at longer day sleeps but she obviously isn't ready for that yet.

mands - that sounds awful - I can't believe you still haven't shaken it off!

It is such a lovely time - lots of gurgles, smiles, Tabitha spends time examining her hands, she bats her toys on her rocker - loves looking in the mirror etc etc. She loves having a chat too.

Better go - my hour is up!

#11 runnybabbit

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

mands You poor thing, with the thrush. Nathan has oral thrush too but I've been asymptomatic so I've had my doses of Diflucan and Nathan his Nilstat drops. Saw the women's health service GP yesterday and she said it looks like it's clearing up, and since it's not actually causing a problem then we'll stop treatment after three more days, and if it persists in a low level but doesn't cause a clinical problem then we'll just live with it. Good luck... It's so frustrating, isn't it? I really want to avoid antibiotics now for that reason.

Chantel Nathan used to love floating and snoozing in the bath, but now he actually seems disconcerted when I float him on his back and he much prefers to sit, propped up, and splash around with his arms and legs. Maybe you could try changing positions to see what Axel likes? Sometimes Nathan grunts and goes red-faced right before he does a giant poop in the bath -- don't you just HATE that? THAT'S what needs to be covered in antenatal classes. The first time it happened DH and I just looked at each other, like, what now? These days I just jump in the shower with him when it happens.

Nina Nathan is still very variable with how well he does with holding his head up. Sometimes it's right up, then the next tummy time he just lies there and grunts. Maybe it depends on how lazy he's feeling. Yesterday he rolled over from his tummy to his back, but it looked more like he happened to be lopsided and then just went with gravity, and he hasn't done it again, so I'm not convinced it's a proper roll!

Purple daisy All the best at the sleep clinic. Improving Nathan's sleep was instrumental in me dealing with my PND, I feel so much better now. He's good at night but in the day it all depends on some unknown factor. His morning nap is anywhere between 1-3 hours, then it dwindles down through the day and I'm lucky if I can get 30 minutes out of him by late afternoon.

AFM Nathan has been strange this week. One night he slept from 7 pm till 5 am, and then two nights ago he was up every three hours for a feed. Still, he settles really well after night feeds now so they are much easier.

We have our mums' group meeting today. It is squally and miserable out there.

Okay Nathan is up. Two hour nap, I'm not complaining.

#12 RedsGirl

Posted 15 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Just wanted to say - WOW runnybabbit - Nathan is sleeping so well - you must feel like a new woman... well done!!

purple daisy - yes, best of luck to you too - hope you get some good tips - also interested in what you learn re: day sleeps, settling, resettling etc.

#13 purple_daisy

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for that runnyrabbit I can only dream of a two hour day sleep - at this point I am happy if she sleeps 30 minutes! It is crazy because she is such a fantastic night sleeper, I have no idea why daytimes have to be such a struggle. I will let you all know how it goes.

#14 BellO'Feral

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:38 PM

ChantelM - sorry about the wrong info about PPL - I thought that you could not do any paid work at all, I'm glad that Gisses set you straight!  Hope your cold is settling down.
mands3 - that is bad news about the thrush, you poor thing.
purpledaisy - I would also like to hear any tips you get from the sleep clinic!

I had a day at the settling/breastfeeding clinic on friday.  Their tips were:  if you put bubs down to sleep and they cry, but they have pauses in their crying, then they will eventually get off to sleep if you let them go.  However, they did stress that if at any time you want to go in, just go in and pat them but don't interact.
If they don't have pauses in their crying or it is escalating, go in and resettle them/pick them up/etc.  Currently I am trying to let Becky cry herself off (she is exhausted and really needs a long sleep) but it is really hard, she has now been going for 40 mins with a few pats here and there from me, it feels like forever.  

I also find that if it is hard to get her to sleep, then she doesn't sleep for long; however if she goes down easily (10% of the time!!) then she will sleep for a longer time.  Does anyone else find this?

Hopefully we will get her out of her hip harness in 3 weeks and then we can try some cloth nappies!

How does everyone get poo stains out of their clothing?  I am using Planet Earth sensitive wash but find that these breastfeeding poos can be really hard to get out, especially if the sun is not out and they don't get sunlight.  Any tips?

#15 purple_daisy

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Bell07 did she eventually cry herself to sleep? My DD can cry consistently with pauses for up to 3 hours (ie the next feed time) so leaving them doesn't always work sad.gif or at least not with my DD. I hope it works for you though, that must be so tough having to cope with the leg braces as well.

I haven't had any poo on my clothing yet thank goodness, but we've had a bit of it on her outfits. We found that soaking in napisan overnight does the trick 90% of the time, otherwise a soap in napisan followed by a scrub with sard soap seems to work.

#16 BellO'Feral

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:01 PM

purpledaisy - after 1 1/2 hours of her crying with pauses in the bassinet, I gave up and cuddled her off to sleep.  She then slept solidly for 3 hours in my arms...I felt that she desperately needed the sleep but it is hard to get anything done... sad.gif
Thanks for the poo removal tips!

#17 Glomer

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

Well its Sunday and I am working which sucks! (OK so I have just spent 15 mins reading the thread which is technically not work!). As I'm based in the Southern Highlands we got very badly hit with the wind storms. The devastation to the village and surrounding areas has been awful and we are officially now a "natural disaster zone". Needless to say this is why I am so behind with work as I've been out there most days trying to fix the latest bit of the house that has been damaged. So far its all been done just to hold through til it all stops which it seems to have done finally. My sincere sympathies to any residents of the South Coast. Illawarra and Tablelands who have been hit worse than us.

Caitlin is generally doing well but we do have an issue with her skin. Whenever we go outside (and it is cold up here) she always gets really dry and raw skin on her face even though I do my best to ensure she is sheltered from wind. I have been using arctic hand cream to fix it afterwards but someone mentioned paw paw cream to me. Do any of you have any experience with that? Also short of knitting a balaclava for her does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this. I am hoping its just because its winter.

Caitlin is also destined to be an ice-cream pig! I was having some the other night and she was absolutely fascinated by watching me use the spoon. So I gave her a tiny amount of the vanilla ice-cream and the grin on her face was priceless! Of course quite a bit of the half tsp ended up down her chin. I suspect that 14 wks is far too early for food but I don't think tiny amounts of ice-cream will hurt her if I only do it once a week. I must be a terrible mum - encouraging her in bad food habits already - although it must be said that I only eat ice-cream about once every 3 months.

Hope all are well

Fay

#18 ChantelM

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:21 PM

Glomer - I gave Axel a tiny bit of baby food on my finger yesterday and the smile on his face was also priceless! Must taste much better then horrible formula.

Bell07 - No Problem. I'm not going back to do any work until I have to anyway. I want to spend as much time as I can with Axel.

purple_daisy - How you explained your DD in the bath does sound the same as what Axel is experiencing. I think it is the fear of being in the nuddie as well as he done it last night when I was walking to the bath with him, before he even went in. I don't think he likes when I hold him away from my body, as though I am going to drop him.

Axel reached a new little milestone today. I was playing with him with his rattle and sat it on his belly, he reached up and grabbed it and pushed it straight to his mouth. I was so excited! Not sure if he will do it again or it was just a one off. He is always putting his fists in his mouth but he has never grabbed something himself to put it in.

He has also started watching people when they are eating. Following the food to your mouth. I think he is starting to get an idea of what food is. I want to give him solids so much! For the ladies that already have previous bubs. What age did they start eating baby food etc..?

Sleep - Runnybabbit, sounds like Nathan is doing great now. You must be feeling 100 times better. Axel still wakes in the night for one feed. Last night though he slept from 9:30pm - 5am! Just one more hour on top of this and I will be happy. However, just when I think he is doing well he does a big turn around and I will be up every couple of hours with him....

Hope everyone is enjoying their little bundles. Axel is 3 months old on the 25th! I can't believe how quickly time is going...

#19 Small Potatoes

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

ChantelM With DS1 I gave him solids from 5 months as he was super keen, with DS2 I did baby led weaning and he was 7 months before he started on food.  This time I am doing a mix of BLW and solids as Lachie was premmie.  Aparently bubs get most of their iron and zinc stores in the last two-three weeks of pregnancy so his stores will run out sooner so the paed said somewhere between 4 and 5 months probably, but see how he is going.  I will wait as long as I can, but he is already watching me intently and has started putting the odd toy in his mouth.  I thought it would be the opposite for premmies.

BBS as I am being kicked off to build drawers

#20 runnybabbit

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:16 PM

Hi everyone.

Well, Nathan fed at 3 am, 7 am and then slept in till 10 this morning, which was great! Today is our first wedding anniversary and we're going out for dinner -- fish and chips, served on paper. original.gif

Nathan's been doing everything from pale yellow pasty poops to green with small flecks of blood, in the last 24 hours. He's eating, playing and sleeping normally so I'm not too worried, and I don't really want to bring a happy, otherwise healthy baby to the children's hospital, which would be our only option, being Sunday. So I think we'll sit on it for now and see what happens.

Monday night we're leaving for Singapore for two weeks, hope Nathan goes well on the plane!

Chantel and mands So far Nathan hasn't seemed interested in grabbing at stuff, he's just really into looking at faces and making new noises. Really into eating his hands, but that's about it.

purple daisy and Bell Thinking of you both, I know how horrible it is not having a minute to yourself all day. Hope things get better soon.

#21 raindotdot

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Felix is approaching 8 weeks now (but really "6 weeks" since he was 2 weeks early). He's been SO unsettled at night between 12 and 6am, it's driving me insane. My wrist is so sore from patting and picking him up :-( Do they still get their rest if they lie in bed drifting in and out but not crying? He's been doing that all morning and it probably doesn't help that I go in and peek at him. He sleeps well if I nurse him and keep him in bed with me but otherwise, hiccups and his cold continues to wake him up.

So I'll be eagerly waiting your progress at the clinic purpledaisy. I'm thinking I might need to get myself a referral to Karitane if this doesn't improve!

Otherwise, when he's awake, he is looking intently at everything and making all sorts of cooing noises.

Bell07 - Re: poo stains - like purpledaisy, I scrubbed with sard soap if it's on clothing. On MCNs is another matter - I'm using nappy liners which still soak through to the inserts and have had to wash them twice to get the stains out. I used soapnuts the first wash and a bit of detergent the second wash - anyone have suggestions? I don't want to damage the nappies, they were so expensive!

runnybabbit - Not sure if you'll read this, but goodluck with Nathan on the plane today! The airplane white noise should put him to sleep and I read somewhere to start nursing on descent to assist with the popping eardrums.

chantelM - have you noticed what weeks Axel changes his sleeping patterns? I'm reading The Wonder Weeks and my LO seem to follow the book with how clingy/demanding during the "wonder week".

Glomer - I've heard the pawpaw cream is good for chapped skin as well, but check what ingredients are in it as some are petroleum-based and block pores.

#22 BellO'Feral

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

Glomer - a good tip that I read on EB a while back was to look out for the paw paw ointment called Phytocare, I think it is in a black tube.  The Lucas paw paw ointment (red tube) is petroleum based apparently and not as good.

#23 Small Potatoes

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:18 PM

RunnyBabbit Have a great trip.

Glomer Yes the Lucas one (in the red tub) has petroluem.  I use one in a white tub with green and gold - can't remember the name, but the local health food store stocks it.  Olly gets the same chapping on his cheeks, always has and it looks like he has slap cheek.  He also has really dry arms and legs.

AFM Lachie has started waking after each sleep cycle.  He has been doing it on and off for a week, but definitely the last few days.  Both naps today I have gone in and patted him back to sleep and it has only taken 8 mins to resettle each time.  I did this with Olly and it took an hour the first time, however he had been sleeping like this for about 3 months before I tried the patting so I guess was more ingrained in him.  It only took me 4 days of going into Olly before he started resettling at the end of each cycle on his own, so fingers crossed for Lachie too.  Going to run and wash my hair before the 40mins is up.

#24 MummyHayles

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi everyone! No i haven't disappeared off the face of the earth! lol you probably don't remember me anymore! cool.gif

We've been doing ok except for Ruby and I both having caught colds last week which is just AWESOME! rolleyes.gif She doesn't get a blocked or real snotty nose but she gets really noisy breathing that sounds like there's heaps of snot back there, the occasional sneeze but no coughing. Luckily she still feeds and sleeps fine - actually when she's asleep/feeding/calm she doesn't even sound snuffly. I took her to the doc just so he could check her chest but that was fine. We are just using the vaporizer, i think that's all i can do!

mands3 - during the day Ruby wakes after every sleep cycle pretty much every nap except one in the arvo when she sleeps about 21/2 hours in one go. usually she's so awake after her short nap i don't bother re-settling unless she's grizzly

raindotdot - i know what you mean about the expensive nappies! I wash mine with Purtiy liquid, but i think i read any enzyme free liquid is fine, and no fabric softener. Haven't had any trouble with staining, a couple times out of the wash a liner has looked still a bit stained but after hanging in the sun its gone.

runnybabbit - Happy Anniversary! and hope you have a great time in Singapore biggrin.gif

ChantelM - with Zoe I started solids just before she was 6 months - she was constantly watching people eat and shoving everything to her mouth. she started with just rice cereal for the week and then i think we moved onto avocado or pumpkin. I'm looking forward to starting Ruby on solids too - she's being breastfed though where Zoe wasn't so not sure when I'll start them.

purple_daisy - Ruby doesn't settle herself to sleep. If I let her go she just cries and that just doesn't fit my parenting style. I rock/hold her to sleep most of the time, unless we are out walking or in the car. I put her down and she (usually) does her full sleep cycle - occasionally she'll wake and I have to resettle her straight away.

I've been co-sleeping the last couple weeks with Ruby, she was doing soooooo well in her cot next to me but it's been b****y freezing where I live (not helping the we live in an old stone house and the lounge room where the heater is is being demolished and renovated). with the days and nights just constantly cold our house doesn't get the chance to heat and it's way too cold in our bedroom. I love sleeping with my babies, I feel more comfortable with her in bed with me than anywhere else, we co-slept with Zoe pretty much from 4 weeks old. Hopefully when it warms up I'll get her back in the cot, not sure how that will go though!

Question - how much awake time does your baby spend happy? If Ruby isn't feeding she doesn't stay happy/entertained for long. The easiest  way for me to keep her up and happy is to carry her with one arm while I do chores or take her outside to look around. She has a play mat which she's on at the moment - but that won't last much longer and a swing chair which i'm lucky to get 5 minutes out of. I would say including feeds I would get 1 hour maybe if I work hard at entertaining her 1 1/2 hours of happy time before she's crying for a sleep. She's 12 weeks on wednesday. Not yet grabbing at toys but she loves holding fingers and my hair and she's discovered her hands - she sits and looks at them when they are by her face so intently it's hard not to laugh! biggrin.gif

OK - playmat time over, til next time! biggrin.gif

#25 runnybabbit

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

Hi everyone! Our flight has been delayed so we won't be leaving till 2 am tomorrow morning. rolleyes.gif Oh well, at least Nathan can get a decent chunk of sleep.

Re play and awake time, Nathan starts to show tired signs about 45 to 50 minutes after waking up, including feeding time. So it's 30 minutes for feed and change, usually, then a short play, then he's back to bed. I've tried extending his play time but his movements just get jerkier and jerkier and he gets really grizzly and upset, so he doesn't seem ready to go past the one hour mark.

raindotdot We've been practising nursing with Nathan sitting and straddling my thigh so he can be strapped to me for takeoff and descent and still nurse.

Hayles Nice to see you back! Nathan is definitely into grabbing my hair! And lots of it, too. I'm going to have to have my hair up most of the time.

Watching ER at the moment and every time a baby cries on the TV I think it's Nathan. Don't you just hate that!

We have WiFi at our holiday accommodation so I expect I won't be able to stay away from EB too much. wink.gif Can't wait to escape the clouds and rain, and go to the pool with Nathan during each morning play time -- he is sooo cute in his little rashie and swim nappy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.