Mem Fox's Husband Guilty
Of Child Abuse

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#1 virtuallotus

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

Was shocked to read this.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/07/08/3264890.htm

Seem that although he was found guilty, they (Mem and her husband) were trying to paint the teenager as the sexual aggressor.  sad.gif

#2 GeraniumQueen

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

moving to Celebrity News original.gif

#3 Anti-Socialite

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:13 PM

Edited by Anti-Socialite, 17 August 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#4 Lyra

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Anti-Socialite @ 08/07/2011, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that's pretty trivialising. Child abuse is not just some 'hot gossip'. I think this should be in the News section.

I would have to agree with that

#5 Guest_starbellied_*

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:18 PM

Mem fox released an article saying that women who work and put children in day care are abusing their children while she openly supports a man who did sexually abuse a child (and they try and turn the victim into the perpetrator).

sad.gif

#6 ~J.E.S.S.I.C.A~

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:24 PM

OMG. There are no words sad.gif sick.gif. Other than Mem Fox is a hypocrite with a capital H.

I also find it poor form that this thread was moved to Celebrity News.

Edited by *blossom*, 08 July 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#7 Canberra Chick

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:25 PM

I think that's pretty trivialising. Child abuse is not just some 'hot gossip'. I think this should be in the News section.

I agree. This is beyond celebrity gossip.

#8 tenar

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:29 PM

I see nothing in that article to suggest that Mem Fox was painting the teen as the aggressor.  I also see nothing wrong with supporting your husband.  Maybe she believes his version of events - it wouldn't be the first time someone believed their spouse, even in situations that might not be all that believable.

I love my husband.  If he were on trial for something, no matter what it was, I would also attend to support him, even if the thing he was accused of was similarly heinous.   More so if I believed him innocent.

#9 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Anti-Socialite @ 08/07/2011, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree. GQ, would you please move it to the news section?

QUOTE (starbellied @ 08/07/2011, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mem fox released an article saying that women who work and put children in day care are abusing their children while she openly supports a man who did sexually abuse a child (and they try and turn the victim into the perpetrator).

sad.gif

I've been turned off of Mem Fox ever since she released that article, and this turn of events does nothing to change my feelings for the better.

Hope her vile husband enjoys a lengthy stay in prison.

Here is another article, one which outlines how Fox tried to portray the VICTIM as the perpetrator. Scum of the earth pervert.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/natio...f-1226090782380

Edited by baddmammajamma, 08 July 2011 - 07:39 PM.

#10 Helena Handbasket

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

How vile.

Another who agrees that this thread does not belong in a celebrity gossip thread.

#11 GeraniumQueen

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Apologies Ladies, serious Friday evening lack of judgement sad.gif Moved back to News.

#12 ducks-on-the-dam

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

To tell the truth I'm not surprised at all.

Try looking at the illustrations in her book  "Guess What?"  and you may just get to see why.

I can't read her books with a easy mind now after I read this book several years ago.

#13 SqueakyPeanut

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

This is what I was thinking when I read it.  I think her attitude is just disgraceful and it makes so annoyed that I don't think I will buy anymore of her books.

#14 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

I feel really sorry for her.

What an awful thing to happen - to have your husband found guilty of something like this. You would feel like your married life was a lie.

#15 The Awesome One

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:48 PM

so is he saying he never went near the boy? or just that it wasnt forced?

What an awful thing to happen - to have your husband found guilty of something like this. You would feel like your married life was a lie.
this is how I would feel

#16 GWTW

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

I remember hearing him discuss how the boy come onto him, pull down his pants and start masturbating him before he had a chance to stop it. WTF?!

#17 EsmeLennox

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

I doubt this is as cut and dried as some people would like to think. Unquestionably, Fox did the wrong thing and deserves to be punished as he was an adult and in a position of power in relation to the 17 year old. But I suspect the 17 year old probably was involved in making advances too - after all the judge found that it was 'consensual'. And a 17 year old is hardly the same thing as a 12 year old or even a 15 year old. I wouldn't even classify a 17 year old as a child in any other way than a legal sense.

That said, Fox was defnitely in the wrong and should have rejected the 17 year old's advances and nor should he have pursued him.

And yes, despite what I may think about Mem Fox's comments about parents putting children in daycare I can still feel some compassion for her in this situation. How awful it must be to find out something like this about your husband.

#18 BetteBoop

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (Jemstar @ 08/07/2011, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt this is as cut and dried as some people would like to think. Unquestionably, Fox did the wrong thing and deserves to be punished as he was an adult and in a position of power in relation to the 17 year old. But I suspect the 17 year old probably was involved in making advances too - after all the judge found that it was 'consensual'. And a 17 year old is hardly the same thing as a 12 year old or even a 15 year old. I wouldn't even classify a 17 year old as a child in any other way than a legal sense.

That said, Fox was defnitely in the wrong and should have rejected the 17 year old's advances and nor should he have pursued him.

No, I think it is exactly as cut and dried as people think. The boy went to him - as an adult he trusted - to confide that he had been sexually abused. Fox was a teacher and knew it was illegal to take advantage of a vulnerable, abused child for his own purposes. Whether the child consented is irrelevant.

Fox is a predator. His wife has lost my sympathy for continuing to support him. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't do the same if my husband was a child abuser. I know many women do, often at their own children's expense but I have no sympathy for them.

As for denigrating the victim, it's standard practice in these trials.

#19 EsmeLennox

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

I didn't say I agreed with her actions, I said I can feel compassion for her. There is a difference.

And as I said, he is in the wrong, totally, but I do think there's more to it.

#20 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 08/07/2011, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, I think it is exactly as cut and dried as people think. The boy went to him - as an adult he trusted - to confide that he had been sexually abused. Fox was a teacher and knew it was illegal to take advantage of a vulnerable, abused child for his own purposes. Whether the child consented is irrelevant.

Fox is a predator. His wife has lost my sympathy for continuing to support him. I'm sorry, but I wouldn't do the same if my husband was a child abuser. I know many women do, often at their own children's expense but I have no sympathy for them.

As for denigrating the victim, it's standard practice in these trials.

Perfectly stated.

#21 macysmum

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

The whole thing makes me feel quite ill. The actual crime is bad enough, but the way Mem and her husband have conducted themselves during and after is disgraceful.

#22 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

I'm really disappointed! I've loved Mem Fox since I was a child. Now to hear these stories about her makes me a little devo - I don't think I can read her stories to my kids without thinking about it now. Damn wish I never opened this thread.

#23 glitters

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

You can read into it and justify it as much as you like, at the end of the day, Fox is a dirty old pervert and he was a rather disgusting role model. He should be sent to jail, whether the boy was 7 or 17 - consenting or not, he still had sex with a CHILD!!!

end of story.

#24 tenar

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 08/07/2011, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fox has been convicted as a predator.  True (but only since today).  We have to hope that the judgement is correct and I do have faith in our legal system to get this kind of thing right.

But stop now and imagine that it was your partner who was accused of this and who denied the allegations.  Are all you posters who express disgust in Mem's behaviour really saying that you would believe the word of a teenager over the word of your husband/partner every time, even if it was something as important (not to mention revolting and criminal) as this?   What if you believed your partner incapable of such an act?  

I know that I would believe in my husband first, not his accuser.  It would probably take a lot of convincing for me to think otherwise.  I trust my husband: most people do trust their partner.  It's not like she caught them "in the act" - maybe she has no evidence either way and maybe she has not heard the teenager's story in person before this trial.  

I feel very sorry for the victim of the crime and also for Mem Fox, whose name is getting dragged into the mud over this thing that she had no involvement in and in which she is doing what most of us would do: trusting and supporting her spouse.  If her husband had been found innocent would you have thought that her supportive actions were wrong then, or is it that you people have a problem with the idea that she might not have known he was guilty?  

#25 CocobeanLillylove

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

QUOTE (tenar @ 08/07/2011, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fox has been convicted as a predator. True (but only since today). We have to hope that the judgement is correct and I do have faith in our legal system to get this kind of thing right.

But stop now and imagine that it was your partner who was accused of this and who denied the allegations. Are all you posters who express disgust in Mem's behaviour really saying that you would believe the word of a teenager over the word of your husband/partner every time, even if it was something as important (not to mention revolting and criminal) as this? What if you believed your partner incapable of such an act?

I know that I would believe in my husband first, not his accuser. It would probably take a lot of convincing for me to think otherwise. I trust my husband: most people do trust their partner. It's not like she caught them "in the act" - maybe she has no evidence either way and maybe she has not heard the teenager's story in person before this trial.

I feel very sorry for the victim of the crime and also for Mem Fox, whose name is getting dragged into the mud over this thing that she had no involvement in and in which she is doing what most of us would do: trusting and supporting her spouse. If her husband had been found innocent would you have thought that her supportive actions were wrong then, or is it that you people have a problem with the idea that she might not have known he was guilty?

But has Mr Fox admitted to having the affair with this boy? Or does he deny any interaction on his part at all?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.