My son has no feelings in science class?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 ilovemychildren

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:45 PM

I had parent teacher interview and my year 8 teacher said my son will become a doctor.  She said i always call him doctor and he should do biology. i said huh? he got only 67% for science.
she said they did alot of disecting in class and he was good at it. They disected frogs, rats etc and my son said he has no fear and can disect it. No fear of blood.
My son said his teacher always call him dr. ........

Now that creates fear in me because that is also a sign of a killer right? no remorse, no fear.
Shouldnt everyone feel some kind of ewww when they see blood or disect something?

#2 Nobody Cool

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

My understanding is that the animals are already dead before they are used in class for dissection. I see a huge difference between someone who enjoys the killing and torture of animals and someone who is able to dissect a dead animal in a clinical way because they don't get queasy at the sight of blood.

I wouldn't worry too much OP. There are many other red flag behaviours that need to be present for you to have any concern.

#3 delta508

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

I loved dissecting my rat in Year 8 biology!  biggrin.gif

I'm not a serial killer  rolleyes.gif

original.gif

#4 darlia

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

No. I always found dissections interesting and I don't think I am weird or pathological.

#5 Guest_GreyMatter_*

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:50 PM

I didn't know anything about it being the sign of a killer.

My sister was great in science.  She had no problem disecting things, never bothered, more facsinated by what she saw and did.  She is now a scientist.  I on the other hand couldn't actually participate, and to this day can't watch show like RPA (I even cover my eyes throughout parts of Greys Anatomy).  I think it just bothers some people less.  I wouldn't read too much into it unless there are other signs of concern.

#6 Guest_~Aine~_*

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:51 PM

Ummmmm, what?

No, I don't think this is a sign of serial-killing sprees to come.

#7 howdoyoudoit

I would send him studying to be a surgeon..... doesnt ring any serial killer bells to me..if he was wanting to kill them yet... what about abbottiour (sp?) workers who do kill animals..do you think they are serial killers???

#8 raven74

There is a lot more to being a sociopathic serial killer than being able to dissect a specimen.  I'd be more concerned that the teacher is insinuating a profession on a 12 - 13 year old and not calling him by name.
If your son was intentionally harming others or the family pets and NOT understanding or caring that it is wrong, having no feelings toward that, show no empathy for certain situations then yes, I'd be concerned.  Dissecting a rat?  No.

Edited by raven74, 01 July 2011 - 12:52 PM.

#9 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Now that creates fear in me because that is also a sign of a killer right? no remorse, no fear.
  laughing2.gif you're kidding right? We used to dissect pig hearts etc in science and I never gave a hoot about what I was cutting into, it was dead by the time it got to me, it was science class. I think you are reading waaaaaay too much into this. Be proud of your son.

#10 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Your son is perfectly normal.

#11 idignantlyright

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

If he was a psycopath or had tendencies, you would have seen signs of it already.

#12 Riotproof

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:56 PM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 01/07/2011, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a lot more to being a sociopathic serial killer than being able to dissect a specimen.  I'd be more concerned that the teacher is insinuating a profession on a 12 - 13 year old and not calling him by name.

Me too. Isn't that a bit weird?

I'm sure it's meant as a compliment though... it certainly doesn't indicate any sociopathic tendencies.

#13 CourtesanNewton

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Some kids have no problems with a bit of gore....to this day DH is fascinated by operations and the like. When he had his big toenail removed as a 15 year old he asked if he could stay awake to watch them do it (they wouldn't let him lol)
No bodies under our floorboards as far as i know.

#14 baddmammajamma

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

Front runner for "weirdest post of the day..."

#15 **Xena**

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

.....Slowly backing out of the thread full of potential serial killers.....

#16 Mitis angelam

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

I think there's a difference between being able to do the kind of work he does in science class, and being able to torture.

I loved dissection in class - my reaction was fascinated rather than grossed out - and when I was in uni. I was always the fastest in my lab group to find the rat's spleen (we worked with spleen cells a lot).

But...I also learned that year in uni. that I can't stomach live animal work.  When they're dead in front of me, it's all good, and I can do whatever, but when they're alive I don't want to be injecting or working with them in a clinical way; I couldn't dissociate from their suffering.  So the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.

(That's not to take away from the people who can do live animal work, and undertake necessary study, I'm just saying it's possible to be good at and enjoy dissection without it meaning he'll even be able to cope with anything more emotionally difficult).

#17 ilovemychildren

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:00 PM

thanks guy for your input. I feel better now. I was getting stressed out last night thinking what if these were signs of serial killer. Some of you are so funny original.gif

#18 ~Nodnol~

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

I enjoyed watching my own c/s. Does that mean I'm a ticking time bomb? unsure.gif

#19 scoutster

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:01 PM

I did comparative anatomy at uni, dissected just about everything.  It was interesting and I really enjoyed it.  Our animals came from vets and other sources, they weren't killed for our classes-even the humans  wink.gif

I am far from serial killer material, can't even swat a fly.

#20 ~ky~

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

My sweet, sensitive and loving 10yo daughter has always wanted to be a doctor. She has no issue with gore and we have disected a couple of mice etc that we have found no longer alive at our place so that she could see how they functioned. She hasn't a psycopathic bone in her body!

She's been fascinated by medical programs, graphic medical books/texts since the age of 2yo and is a part of St John Ambulance cadets where they deal with some pretty realistic looking and gory wounds in their competitions.

I loved disections and am fascinated by medical info. I am not a psycopath either ...

#21 Pinkk_Sprinkkles

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Another potential candidate here.

I took Anatomy and Physiology at Uni.

We disected a brain, eye, lung, heart, liver, gall bladder and large joint.

I had no fear of any of these and felt no remorse while performing the required tasks. I was however completely and utterly enthralled.

I found it fun and looked forward to these practical classes

I'm no killer, i'm just amazed by anatomy. I really don't think it's any thing to worry about.

Edited by may-b-baby, 01 July 2011 - 01:12 PM.

#22 50ftqueenie

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:04 PM

Another potential serial killer here  wacko.gif .  I loved that kind of stuff at school, and I love seeing surgery on TV.  I'm not cold and unemotional (I cry at the drop of a hat) and I hate horror movies, or even scary movies - I'm just not squeamish about real life gore.

#23 Guest_~Aine~_*

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (~Nodnol~ @ 01/07/2011, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I enjoyed watching my own c/s. Does that mean I'm a ticking time bomb? unsure.gif

Why yes, actually, it probably does.

*heads off to block Nodnol the ticking time bomb*

#24 Crombek

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

I would think that a lot of people were fascinated with blood and gore. How else would you explain the number of RPA, Bizzare Bodies, type shows that are on tv?

I loved disecting the sheeps eye at school, can't cope with blood though.

#25 ~Nodnol~

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (~Aine~ @ 01/07/2011, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why yes, actually, it probably does.

*heads off to block Nodnol the ticking time bomb*

I might have to watch Dexter for some tips.  dev (6).gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.