Crate Training
Links on how to crate train your dog or puppy

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

The aim is to have the door big enough so they can get into it if they duck their heads, and even hunch down a fraction. If the door finishes at shoulder height or above, it should be fine.

#27 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:46 PM

Such lovely doggy pictures. So happy in their crates.  biggrin.gif

With whippets, as long as the cage is as long as they are length wise, and allows them to stand, without overly stooping, its fine. Its a den like arrangement, so they wouldn't ordinarily be stretching up to their full head height (Bandit excepted, cause he's got a soft crate to play with). Buttercup can't raise her head fully, but she is otherwise comfortable in a normal relaxed posture.

#28 callmefroggie

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:33 PM

Thanks everyone, i think i found one that will be big enough without being huge. The height was the biggest issue as someone else mentioned. Once they curl up they don't really take up too much space, but I was concerned about standing comfortably.

Cant wait for them to arrive now.

#29 MarthaJones

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

LOL how cute is Bandit  wub.gif .

I am still umming and aaring.
DH is against it because the dog we would use it for is pretty full on. And goes all crazy when DH is around.

I think I will just talk to DH again.

#30 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I have a Labrador and a Norwegian Elkhound.

Neither breed is known for their placid behaviour, and ours are true to form. They love their crates - and can't eat the wire ones. It is an excellent way to teach them to be calm.

#31 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:10 PM

yeah MySunshine, if you are a wire crate it won't be an issue, he can get excited, but he can't get anywhere!!

I would advise against soft crates for excitable dogs... when Bandit gets super excited in the morning when he knows I am getting his breakfast, he can rock his entire crate back and forth (it can't tip because it's between my bedside table and a wardrobe hehehe).

#32 midstudentcatie

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

Got our crate this morning - who knew Aus Post delivered parcels on a Saturday morning?  It's huge, will pop some photos up once we've got Moof in it original.gif

#33 nom de plume

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thanks so much for all the info and links.  I was one of those members asking about crates recently.

I've just bought a metal crate (30") off Ebay.  It was about $60 cheaper than what I have seen in pet shops. We are getting our new family member - a ruby Cavalier King Charles puppy named Sparky in second week of July!

I also bought an outdoors exercise play pen from the same Ebay seller.  Bargain really.

#34 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 14 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

We have new crate, waiting for its new owner to arrive.

Have soft pad for inside, a nice pillow, and now all I need is the cover and fleecies. biggrin.gif

#35 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 14/06/2011, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have new crate, waiting for its new owner to arrive.

Have soft pad for inside, a nice pillow, and now all I need is the cover and fleecies. biggrin.gif

and the puppy LOL!

#36 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

I had planned to shop for puppy stuff on my own, but DH crashed my party and insisted he come too. Which  meant that DD had to come along - and as a result, she is dying from anticipation and my ears hurt from the repetitive "when is Anja coming?"  Interspersed with wombat stories. She really enjoyed the wombat wrangling.

#37 callmefroggie

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

Yay, our crates arrived today. Trigger and Stryker have had a good explore, even ate dinner in them. They seem quite comfortable. I am sure it will take some time to get the completely used to them however.

I'd post pics if I could work out how to.

#38 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

The trick is to save the photo onto an online site, like Photobucket or similar. The you can use the second link button above (the one with the picture) to insert the URL and when you add it, the picture should appear. My dogs get a small bit of schmacko in their crates every night at sleep time. They really enjoy them though - they're often there well ahead of sleepy time. biggrin.gif

#39 MarthaJones

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:05 PM

Well I ummed and arred about this and finally bought a wire crate for my goldy.
I felt bad my older goldy X was allowed to stay in overnight and stay warm and the younger one was outside. Even though she had a nice warm kennel to sleep in and she was perfectly warm I just felt bad on those nights it's raining heavy.

So I bought the biggest one off ebay because Chloe does not curl up. She either lays on her side with her 4 legs out or on her tummy with her back legs sticking out the back.
Lucky for us she went straight in last night while we watched tv with the door left open. Was in there for 2hrs asleep. I got up a few times and gave her a treat and told her she was a good girl.
She is in there again now asleep, door open. I actually think my older girl is jealous LOL.

Now how long do you think before I should close the door?. Should I give her a few more sleeps in there then close the door for 5-10 mins?.

I know I should read all the links that were put up  blush.gif .

#40 abbie1986

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:23 PM

Hi this is a really good question I would love to know how to crate train my dog as he has an injured back and gets on furniture at night.
Is it mean to create train for the dog to sleep in all night?. I have a small Maltese
I have posted a question on another forum but havent gotten a reply If anyone can go have a look and help me out there that would be great
http://www.thepetloversnetwork.com.au/comm...nderweight-dog/

#41 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:37 AM

Hi abbie,

Yes ours are crated all night. Generally we put them to bed between 9:30 and 10pm and they get out anywhere between 7:30am and 9am (depending on if it's weekends and how noisey they are. If they are making noise we let them out, because they probably need to wee.)

Generally, within 10minutes of them getting in the crate, we get stereo snoring (the crates are on the opposite sides of the room.) They know that the crate is bed and when they get in, it's bed time. Even if we are talking and the TV is on and the cats are running around, they still just curl up in their safe warm beds and sleep with all the commotion wink.gif

Just make sure that your pup has nice soft warm blankets in the crate and he will LOVE it! I know it seems mean, but they really love their crates.

In the mornings I can't get mine out sometimes! They refuse to get out! wink.gif

#42 Justaduck

Posted 14 August 2011 - 06:57 PM

I have had my dog crate trained since he was a puppy (3yo) now and I love that he loves his crate. My DP thinks it is awful and mean to lock him up in a cage, but at night time if we leave the crate door open and he has the choice to sleep on the bed, floor or crate, he often ends up in his crate. I just wish there was more awareness in the community about them, as everyone thinks what I do with him is barbaric. When we have a bunch of friends over at night, I will put him in there 1) to keep him calm and 2) so he doesn't escape from the house/property when people come in and out and leave the doors open, but when they see him in there all the whinging from them starts.
Now that we are having a baby, I think DP is much happier knowing that we can always put Jackson in his crate if we need to with the bub around. Best thing my vet could've recommended to me

#43 joy07

Posted 27 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

I have only just noticed the mention of crates for dogs. I have had dogs all my life but this seems quite new to me.

Why do you train your dogs to be kept in crates?  What are the reasonings behind this and the benefits?

Our old dog is getting near the end (cry cry) and after a very short while we will be getting another dog from the pound or dog fostering places.

We won't be getting a puppy, but anything up to age 2, probably under a year old and a small dog.  Not tiny, but small to medium so we can wash them in the laundry tub and easy to carry if we need to.

Our little kids are 5 and 6 and the 5 year old fell to her knees this morning and just kept hugging our old 17.5 dog and then opened the door and said "Mum, I don't want her to go, I don't want her to die".

So for my sake and hers as well, I don't want her to miss out on having a dog to look after.  She loves them.

#44 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:36 PM

QUOTE (joy07 @ 27/08/2011, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why do you train your dogs to be kept in crates?  What are the reasonings behind this and the benefits?

r
I started to crate train for a few reasons
1. toilet training... we weren't sure with Bandit how he'd go being in overnight, so being confined in the crate encourages them to hold it because they don't want to pee in the bed
2. restrict their movement in the night, but have them feel they are still with us (the crates are in our bedroom)
3. Give them a place of their own
4. Give the cats some space (Elly follows the cats around otherwise, so she would sleep at all if not in a crate.)

I continue to crate them because they love their crates, it's their safe place original.gif We have issues getting them out of their crates on weekends! When Elly is told no or gets in trouble for something, she gets in her crate (she is a real people pleasing dog.)

#45 joy07

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for that Taradiddle81.  Think we will train our next dog for a crate too.  We have put an application in on a rescue dog this evening and we have a cat and apparently this little dog isn't overly keen on them.

#46 little bird

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hello fellow craters! We have two staffies, a boy (2) and a girl (3). They absolutely love their crates and run to them when they hear us rumbling in their biscuit tin, or when we say 'in your bed'. Within minutes, they are snoring their faces off. When we get home from being out, there are no signs of distress and they are generally still all curled up and exit the crate to then climb back on the couch and sleep some more.

We exercise them heaps, with one or sometimes two big walks a day. We also have toys in the backyard to play with and play hide and seek inside for mental stimulation. They are also trained to run on a treadmill if the weather isn't suitable for outdoor walks. (They love this so much!) They are very well exercised and loved to pieces.

I guess my question relates to a potential change of circumstances. Until now, we have managed to work our schedules with jobs so that the most time they ever spend in the crate is around 5 hours. Our circumstances are about to change and there is the potential that they may be crated for 8 hours. I may be able to drop home for 10 minutes over lunch to take them out to the toilet and for a stretch, but this would be pushing things.

How long do you comfortably crate for, or would feel comfortable crating for based on the situation above? They would be walked before work in the morning and their toileting routine generally sees them go straight after breakfast or on waking. I guess we are just struggling with the idea of the increase in hours, even though they do appear to love being in there, and have each other for company during the day with their crates being placed next to each other.

What are your thoughts? Massive thanks!

#47 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:10 PM

LB, that is a long time to be in a crate during the day. Ker may notice the post, but can I suggest that you start a new thread in the main part of the forum? It was just by chance I saw this post at all.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.