January 07 Parents # 540

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#126 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:25 PM

Was just going to ask the same thing, Mandy...  But I think he had a UTI, didn't he, Anna?

I too have been victim to the popcorn frypan lid (well, it was a wok lid, but a huge mofo made of tempered glass.  This was probably 2 years ago, and I am still finding bits of glass that somehow find their way out from under the fridge (honestly I have pulled the fridge out and vacuumed - I have no idea where the rogue pieces are coming from).  My favourite part of breaking stuff is trying to keep 5 curious children out of the kitchen!!!

Oh man, I think I'm due for a migraine.  Finally everyone is well again (well, if you don't count AF arriving on cd24 for me), and I have just breathed a sigh of relief.  Still, I am not sitting still for long.  This arvo I have to take A and G for a swimming grading to get them into a holiday class, then straight after dinner I have to take A up to church for her last class prior to her FHC on Sunday.  Rehearsal for that tomorrow at 6.30pm (when J is out to dinner - perfect!).  In-class "interview" for G tomorrow at 2.45pm.  Hockey on Friday afternoon.  FHC on Sunday at 11 (have to be there at 10), followed by party at a friend's (we don't really have anyone to celebrate with, and my friend's DD is one of A's besties, also doing here FHC, and it's my friend's birthday, so we're going to join in their celebration).  Which reminds me to add birthday present shopping to my list!

My freaking to-do list gets longer and longer.

#127 cuddlymumof4

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:50 AM

Liss: Hope Ella is feeling better soon, poor girl. First report card, how exciting original.gif. Enjoy the holidays, sounds lovely.

Mandy: Yay to both Kimbal & Olivia. Sounds like Olivia needs a teacher that is going to help her excel that little bit more though. But today there is not many of those around no more.

Also Mandy & Janet, Kaleb is being tested as he has had 3 bad UTI's in the last 3 months. sad.gif

Janet: You sound busy, but is good to hear everyone is well there now.

School finishes here tomorrow for the term. Alan is ment to be off to Brisbane for the first week of the holidays for work but think we might just all tag along. Would be great to spend some time with the family again. Just waiting to see if Alan's work has booked a flight & if not then we will all go down original.gif. Other then that we have not much planned for the holidays here, except a request to go to the movies to see Cars 2 & Kung fu Panda 2.

Anna

#128 Naz32

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  We had another big meltdown this morning so I let her stay home today and I spoke to the director and they also suggested packing a sandwich and a piece of fruit for her so that she isnt so anxious so I am going to do that from next week and have chatted to her about it today and we hopefully will move on up from here.

Liss I am almost finished that book.  I love it.  Its like a trip down memory lane with all his movies.  What a cool childhood to grow up with all of those famous people just hanging around before they were famous lol.

Watching the last instalment of Go Back on SBS tonight.  I was really moved by last night and I know tonight is going to be worse.  That young girl is just so frustrating.

Mel enjoy your dinner out tonight.  Hope it is fabulous.

Anna have a good trip away original.gif

Gavin is off tomorrow - hooray.  Markets are on in Tuncurry on Saturday and then Pacific Palms on Sunday so we are going to hang out and drive around for a good look on the weekend and maybe a trip up to my cousins property at Elands up the back of Taree/Wingham.  I have in my mind to maybe take Lily to see Cars 2 even though she hasnt seen Cars 1 it wont really matter so much to her.  Just a good excuse to eat popcorn for me original.gif

#129 nadya

Posted 23 June 2011 - 10:32 PM

Just a quick post to say, CONGRATULATIONS Naz!!!!!!!!

#130 azalia

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:20 AM

Naz - that must be so hard, leaving her when shes so upset. What do you do when you drop them off?  There is one little boy in Byrons class who gets highly emotional when he is left, when I was doing kindy duty last week Dad dropped him off and musnt have done it before, because he just wouldnt leave when the little boy was crying, and kept drawing the process out, the teacher was trying to tell him to just go and he would calm once he left, I ended up going up and picking him up and distracting him and telling Dad he would stop crying once he had gone, and its worse if he stays.  Do you settle her in then leave?  Also, what about making a book with her of pictures of all the people important in your lives and she can carry that with her when she goes?

Anna - Have a great time away!

All going well here, I feel like Im in routine now, the adjustment from 2 to 3 hasnt been that bad, and managable considering Im on my own mostly so far.  Im missing Gareth awfully though, and I thought on Monday that we were at the 2 week point, but they are extending them out there, and hes not home till 2 weeks yesterday. Turned me sobbing, Its just such a long time.  Boys are going ok, Im so sick to death of having to yell everything in a tone that hurts my throat though before I get a reaction.  Byron is doing good at school, Im not sure if we get reports for kindy.  Indiana is great, she gave me 6 hours the other night, but mostly its 4 then 2. Shes 6 weeks on Monday, were is the pause button!? I love her so much.  Ive ben back exercising, walking them to and from school which is a hour round trip and pushing 65kgs on the pram. The resistance is excellent! Its not as bad as I thought it would be with the skateboard attatchment on the back of the double pram. The hills are a killer though, but Byron is like a snail if I make him get off and walk.

Busy weekend, I have a flash photography course tomorrow, SIL is watching the kids, MUST remember to express a bottle today just remembered, then an engagement party that night. I was going to take Indiana, but now I think Ill leave her, not keen on her being at a bar even if it is upmarket.  Then Sunday a 5th bday party from one of the girls in Byrons class, and then a client meeting that arvo.

Whats everyone up to?

#131 Mulan

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

Sounds good Alinta, busy again. You do thrive on busy though. I admire how strong you are getting through without Gareth.

Naz are the teachers saying she settles when you leave? DS used to be difficult for drop offs and the way we managed was to get DH to do it instead. Saying goodbye to me from home made it easier. Imelda occasionally has a meltdown morning when I drop her off but making funny faces at the window helps her cheer up and transition into the day.

Nevermind, it was good to get a little vent. Life is hard for everyone. I can see silver lining again on our crap cloud.

Edited by Mulan, 26 June 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#132 mokeydoke

Posted 24 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

Naz - Just had a thought, and it's probably just what you feel like doing laughing2.gif but is there any way you could arrange a playdate with one of the other little girls from the centre? Even better if you know what schools they'll be going to. I really worry about Luella - there aren't many people going to be in kinder at St Michael's next year, the current list at the preschool says 4 kids are going...3 boys and her. Plus the other girls in the class have all chummed up through going to family daycare together, or through dancing class, and Lu keeps coming home and saying 'no one likes me' and 'when the teacher says pick someone no one picks me' sad.gif breaks my heart. Hm went off on my own tangent there, but I think any experience is easier when you have a friend to do it with.

Alinta - Is there more than one SIL or is SIL back now? I'm really feeling having no real support network here atm, Peter's presenting an award at a chamber of commerce thing tonight and I can't go because I just feel too bad tacking babysitting onto any of my friends who have their own kids. Plus I'd have to get them to come here, which would mean I would have to clean bedrooms etc that I can otherwise forget are like bombsites wink.gif

Did you get the results Anna? Hope it's nothing serious.

Tomorrow is Olivia's birthday and bowling party. It's going to be a long day. I have to take kinder netball first, then all afternoon with 7 year olds.

#133 mamaknits

Posted 24 June 2011 - 01:37 PM

Mandy - There will be nobody from preschool goign to the same school as Alex when he goes to primary school next year - regardless of whether it is the in zone or the out of zone one. I had hoped he would have friends, but he may not sad.gif I worry about that too. I hope that at least one or two from teh daycare/preschool will go to the same school but the list has not been put up yet.

Us - preschool had grandparents day yesterday and my PILs came. It was lovely. they were so happy to see Alex at school and Alex was thrilled to have them. I am glad Alex behaved (for the most part) and did the dance and sang with the other kids. He was very excited to have all of us there and kept trying to turn and wave at us. The teachers and I were not sure he would comply and perform, but he did. He had a big antrum during the concert practice on Tuesday and walked off by himself to the sandpit (they were practising outside). When the teachers pretended to ignore him, he got upset and threw a spade in tehir direction. he got time out and a stern talking to. When asked about it at home, he told me that practising was stupid and he already knew what to do. Yesterday it was obvious he got the gist of what was required but not the details. Why is my son so much like me?!

Naz - how has Lily been doing at preschool this week?

#134 mokeydoke

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:51 PM

So was that the first incident at the new school Celia?

Poor Lu has pimples all over her tongue - for want of a better description. It doesn't look like herpes or thrush from images online, just looks like she's told lots of lies sad.gif any ideas? I have orased gel which I can only imagine how it stung, and she's had panadol. Poor baby sad.gif dr google told me to numb her tongue with ice and chop them off with nail scissors huh.gif I just wish I had something to help her sleep so they could heal while she slept but everytime she moves her mouth it wakes her up and crying. I hope she's ok for tomorrow, although I can't see how she would be but maybe she will be distracted.

Presents wrapped, balloons blown and my baby is almost 7. I'm trying to think back and remember what I was feeling that first time, I was in hospital and given gel to be induced. I know I wasn't scared about the labour but I can't imagine why not wink.gif

#135 lissiloo

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

Mandy -- could she have eaten something that caused a reaction? Has she had a high temp (I'm thinking Hand Foot and Mouth)? Poor thing, mouth sores of any kind are not fun at all.

Ella went to school today -- hooray!!

OK, I need to finish a couple of things and then head off to bed, have a nice weekend as I probably won't get back online to write til Sunday sometime. Kinder trivia night tomorrow (so set up during the day), going to the Baby and kids market on Sunday to check out what sells and what people are selling for  wink.gif

Cheers
Lissiloo

#136 Naz32

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

We are having a wonderful weekend of sunshine.  We took the kids to the markets for a walk around this morning but Lily wouldnt stop asking for everything within her vision range.  Before we were even in there she saw a twirly rainbow thing and then dolls and honey and then this and then that lol it was more tiring listening to her than pushing 50kilos of pram lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  Yep she settles within a few minutes - she knows Im not coming back so she settles.  We have tried for Gav to drop her off but they have to then leave at 7.30 so he has time to get to the shop and open up and turn everything on and sometimes that is a push to get the three of them out the door so ive just been doing it.  I dont hang around - I try not to anyway but I like the idea of the book so maybe will look into that.  We will see how we go this way and I cant remember  if I said this or not but they are also changing the menu so they will give me a copy with some recipes so I can try and make somethings at home.  Thanks again for your support original.gif

Not to much else to report.  Should be taking over the shop on Friday so thats exciting.  Will be nice that its all FINALLY over and done with and you can all stop listening to me whinge lol Tounge1.gif Next I will start harping on about not being able to find a house to rent wink.gif

Mulan I feel your pain on the night shift.  Ihope things settle down soon again for you all.  Are you still loving your new house? Any more photos now you are mostly settled??

Mandy I asked Gav and he said check its not hand foot and mouth.  Look on the insides of her cheeks and see if there are any blisters there too or on the back of her throat.  Ouch sounds awful.  Zinc is good for mouth blisters etc - and a liquid form is best.  You could try Zinc Fix.  Its an orange zinc powder that you put in water.  tastes nice and good hit of vitamin c too.

Mandy/Celia.  The director told Gavin that they only had 2 kids go onto Holy Name Primary from last year so I dont know how many will go on from this years group.  I think Lily will do better once she is in that more confined and organised environment as they are abit freeform where she is and can sort of do what they please and its a huge area so she is abit lost after her more routine based learning from her previous preschool.

Simon is having a late nap today. Im hoping this might mean a later bed time and a later wake up in the morning.  These 530 wakeups are killing me!

#137 Mulan

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:38 PM

Mandy my first thought just from the description is hand foot and mouth. Check the soles of her feet. DS started out in his mouth and progressed to feet and hands as well. They did just look like those lie spots initially.

Gorgeous sunshine today so I sat outside reading and knitting with the smell of the freshly mown grass. Yes Naz still loving the new house. Housework is just so easy here. The place is a bombsite as I haven't had the time to tidy up. The mess just breeds with my children.

#138 mamaknits

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

Mandy, sounds llike HFM. how's Lu doing?

Naz - the new daycare/preschool we transferred Alex to is also a bit more freeform, althoug it is run by the same folks who run the preschool he attends the other 3 days a week. he seems to prefer the more structured preschool. I think the trick is to just get through this year and next year, I hope it will be better. The teacers are on the ball at the daycare/preschool but I also understand that it is a lot harder to run a structured preschool program when there are fewer kids and they do long daycare hours (730 till 6pm) the kids come at different times and leave at different times, unlike preschool where everyone arrives between 830 and 9 and leave between 330 and 430. That said they are running some structured activites at the daycare for a few hours a day, and that is working out for Alex. Also, it's been a few weeks and now that he has made a few friends, he's starting to complain less. I asked the teachers who he plays with there and in the mornings at drop off, when he gets clingy, I scan the room to see if I can spot a friend and point him/her out to Alex and suggest he asks him/her to do xyz with him. Thank goodness I don't have to battlefood as we provide lunchboxes and fruit. Good luck with the food. i think it is a good idea to cook up some of the same stuff they eat so Lily gets it at home sometimes as well and gets used to it.

Looking forward to some sit down time. I have another idea for a hooded jumper for Alex and I am itching to sit down and knit. Off to go look at what I have in my stash to knit for him!

#139 Denghiu

Posted 26 June 2011 - 03:59 AM

Just quickly popping in to say CONGRATULATIONS Naz and Gav! Exciting news, a surprise to you as well as us wink.gif

Ava has moderate hearing loss on her right ear for one frequency, did I tell you that? It is situated in her cochlear and most likely genetic and since birth, as well as most likely to stay as it is. But they will send her appointments once a year to keep an eye on it. I am not too worried though. They will be sending their special aid teacher to pre-school to inform the teachers etc as well as give them tips and trick to think about and things they can use. We will also be invited to a parent day after summer where there will be lots of info. Due to it most likely being genetic I enquired about weather we could have Linus checked and they will send us an appointment to do that too.

My friend in Perth gave birth to her 2nd child 5am thursday, she has a son about the same age as Linus and now she got a girl! I wish I could be there. They will be coming to Sweden in Aug though so I hope we manage to organise to meet up with them then, she is a bit stressed about finding a name her their DD as they have to order a passport ASAP for her. I have another friend due with her 3rd very soon too. Babies galore everywhere and I am missing out!

#140 Naz32

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:39 PM

Tinkerbell who is tinkerbell?? Thats right she isnt from our group as we were not on the top of the list lol.  Nothing for so long ladies - have we all got lives hehehe.

Nothing to report from here except my flights are booked for Perth eexcite.gif Will be a whirlwind tour but great to get away with Lily for a few days.

Nice to hear from you Moa original.gif I saw your pics of the kids the other day on FB and I cant believe how much they have grown.  

Im off to bed.  Fingers crossed for Lily tomorrow that she has a better day.  She told me she doesnt like one of the teachers there who is one of her teachers of course becuase she has curlier hair than she does!!! For goodness sake - what next.

#141 mokeydoke

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:44 AM

Hello
I'm just hanging out here and having my coffee before starting the daily housework rolleyes.gif This is the last day of school for my kids, I'm so excited to have them at home and not have to be the big disciplinarian when it comes to getting to bed on time, getting ready, doing schoolwork etc etc And then we head of to NT maybe on Wednesday of next week - I'm getting very excited about that too. Still have a lot of planning to do but we are just going to wing a lot of it. Surely we'll find shops along the way wink.gif

#142 azalia

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:45 AM

LOL Naz I think shes having you on!!! We cant wait for you to come!!

Moa - how do you feel about the hearing loss? I remember you telling us about it when you first got over there.

Ive woken up sick today, have had a cough for about 2 weeks just dry but today I feel revolting. Shame I cant chuck a sickie. Going to get swabbed for whooping cough just in case, I can her Indi is just starting to sound like shes also getting a cold.  Other than that were ok, rather blah with Gareth away, still another 9 days feels like an eternity.

Byron has just become a right little pain atm, doing behavious he normally wouldnt and Mason normally would. Stupid things like last night in the bath while I walked out to get their pajamas ready he threw all the bath toys and flannels out onto the tiles, which put water everywhere. Something Id expect Mason to do but not him. Just what I need atm rolleyes.gif .

I just wanted to say again thankyou so much for all of Indis gorgeous gifts, Janet I cant wait to put her in the pink dress soon, and Sel I loved the pants and gorgeous knitted cardi you made, I love knitted things. It was all beautiful biggrin.gif  

Wet wild weather here today, weve had quite a full on winter so far for Perth, quite a lot of rainy days.

#143 mokeydoke

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

I want to go to Perth too!!!

Do you find the boys miss Gareth these days Alinta? I'm not sure if I told you all but Kimbal really feels Peter's absences lately, on the days he doesn't see him much (because he leaves soon after they wake up, and doesn't come home until they are in bed) he can be really difficult (and does silly stuff) but settles with a bit of dad time. He's also asking to do stuff with him, like buying the present for a party we are going to on the weekend for example (when I used to do all that with them).

I replied before because I had to go and wasn't sure I'd get back on but here I am. I forgot I still have to print some school stuff.

Anyway, I was talking to the preschool teacher again about Lu today. I'm leaning towards sending her now, because I think it's just her personality and not immaturity as to why she plays by herself a lot. She likes playing by herself better than she likes playing with the other kids. That makes me a bit sad sad.gif but really, she's ok with it unless the teacher says 'pick a partner' and that's when she doesn't have one, and she tells me when I pick her up that nobody likes her. So I'm very hopeful she will find one friend at school, just one, she doesn't have to be a social butterfly but just one person she knows will be on her side iykwim. At home that person is increasingly Curtis, but there are still times when the other 3 are doing things and she's just not interested in joining in.

Ok, really need to print this stuff...

I want to go to Perth too!!!

Do you find the boys miss Gareth these days Alinta? I'm not sure if I told you all but Kimbal really feels Peter's absences lately, on the days he doesn't see him much (because he leaves soon after they wake up, and doesn't come home until they are in bed) he can be really difficult (and does silly stuff) but settles with a bit of dad time. He's also asking to do stuff with him, like buying the present for a party we are going to on the weekend for example (when I used to do all that with them).

I replied before because I had to go and wasn't sure I'd get back on but here I am. I forgot I still have to print some school stuff.

Anyway, I was talking to the preschool teacher again about Lu today. I'm leaning towards sending her now, because I think it's just her personality and not immaturity as to why she plays by herself a lot. She likes playing by herself better than she likes playing with the other kids. That makes me a bit sad sad.gif but really, she's ok with it unless the teacher says 'pick a partner' and that's when she doesn't have one, and she tells me when I pick her up that nobody likes her. So I'm very hopeful she will find one friend at school, just one, she doesn't have to be a social butterfly but just one person she knows will be on her side iykwim. At home that person is increasingly Curtis, but there are still times when the other 3 are doing things and she's just not interested in joining in.

Ok, really need to print this stuff...

#144 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

Mandy, very interesting about Lu saying she has no friends, because just today, Z and L were in the school office with the office lady while I had G's parent-teacher interview, and apparently she told Mrs B that nobody likes her and her sisters don't play with her.  Which is a load of bollocks.  So who knows what goes through their little 4yo minds when they say some of this stuff.  Z doesn't have friends at preschool either, but still manages to be the boss in most games (hmmm, maybe that's why she has no friends?).

Alinta, I hope the tunic fits her.  I made it short enough to wear with leggings over the winter; I personally was never a fan of dresses on non-mobile babies, so figured a tunic + leggings would be more appropriate!  I'd forgotten what colour I'd made - I love that wool (thanks Mulan wink.gif ).

I had a bad mummy moment today.  D only brought me one of his shoes from the shoe rack, so I told him I wasn't going to get the other one and he had to go and get it, and while I waited, I went to clean my teeth, and got distracted, as did he, and it wasn't until we got to school that I noticed he only had one shoe on (and we'd walked there!!!).

Actually, just thinking about Lily's comment about not liking preschool because the teacher's hair is curlier than hers, there's another example of how they seem to have worked out the art of emotional maniupulation at this age.  That's 3 examples right here in this thread!

#145 lissiloo

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:53 AM

Hi girls

Well, I've managed to come down with Ella's chest infection, and Poppy is sounding like she might have it too. Sigh. I felt revolting yesterday, sounded like a frog, had the chills and fever, the whole works. And unfortunately had my parents and auntie over for dinner -- mum and dad leave tomorrow for their annual overseas holiday (France/Spain first, then their place in Colorado) -- it was pretty much the only chance as they are out this evening. Of course Jack is cutting that last molar, so he has been eating even less than normal and waking up several times a night wanting milk cos he is so hungry. And DH had meetings this morning so had to leave early -- I was hoping he'd do the school run, but no such luck. Sigh. I need a week off from this parenting gig!

Feeling a bit sorry for myself! Alinta -- hope you feel better soon too.

ILs arrive on Thursday night, so trying to get the house in shape. Not easy when I have two brats, I mean daughters, who won't help clean up after themselves  rant.gif And a toddler who messes it all up as fast as it can be tidied. Sigh. We'll get there.

Oh, Ella gets her first school report today! A bit nervous!

Janet and Mandy -- IKWYM about 4 yos with no friends. Both my girls tell me on occasion that no one wanted to play with them, but when I talk to them about it it turns out they haven't made an effort to join in.

Well, I have to get some lunch for Poppy as she has kinder this afternoon. Will BBL this week. TG school hols start at the end of the week.

Cheers
Lissiloo

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.