TTC or Pregnant Hyperemesis Gravidarum Sufferers and Survivors ~ # 24

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#101 Luvbngamum

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

Hi Girls,

Bettymm:  When I was pregnant with DS1 who has Down syndrome the testing was not as accurate as it is now.  He will be 14 next month and at that time all that was offered was a blood test that put you into 3 categories, High risk, moderate risk and low risk.  I was 27 years old at the time and I clearly remember the OB telling me that I was in the low risk group and that my chances of having a baby with Downs were next to none.  I kept having these feelings though and even dreamed that I had a baby with DS so I kind of just knew without having proof.  Scans did not pick it up, there was no NT scan back then.  I guess it was intuition that I felt.  When he was born it came as no real shock to me that he had Downs.  When the Doctor and midwife said ''We are suspecting that your baby may have Downs"  They expected me to fall apart but I was like "yeah, I knew that already" .  It was a very weird experience and a real case of how a mother just knows sometimes.  I am glad that I did not "know for sure" as there was alot of pressure put on parents to terminate babies with Downs and I can not be sure that I would not have buckled under that pressure.  Just like most people, I knew very little about Down syndrome and was terrified of it but the reality is that it is not that bad.  I would rather DS did not have Downs syndrome as he is sure to face battles that the rest of us do not have to face but, he is a great kid, very smart and very loving and just such great company.  He really is the one who has bound our family together and taught us more than anyone else so to think he may not have been here if testing had showed that he had DS makes me glad I did not have to decide.  Knowing once he was here was ok.  He was such a gorgeous baby, I fell in love with him as instantly as I have with all of my babies but With him I was even more protective than I was with the others.  I was told last pg that my ratio for having a DS baby was 1 in 980 ish.  We had a CVS done but they failed to get enough sample and offered us another one the next day but I just did not want to go through that again so when the odds came back in the 900's we left it at that.  This time around we went straight for the NT test only and the odds came back at 1 in 646 so again, given that i am 41 and already have a child with downs I thought that those odds were good so we opted out of any further testing such as amnio.  I guess, like you say, we may be the one who gets another baby with downs despite the odds but if it is to be then it is to be.  It is great that your results came back so good.  Lie I have said, Downs is not the worst thing that can happen, our son is just so amazing but he is the one that has to live with it.  He is well loved and has a lot of friends at school but that will all change when he is trying to find his place in the big world out there were people can be cruel so although in our day to day family life our son is just like the others in reality if I could take the Downs away, for his sake i would.  Hope that makes sense.  I am so glad that you are feeling better now.  I hope the congestion goes soon.  Just when one thing starts to ease, another hits.  My congestion is still around but it is not related to a cold, it is pg related so I am expecting it to be with me until the end.  I did have a laugh with my best friend last night because i was whinging about being pg.  I have had the hg, now the congestion, backache, pelvis and hip ache, and to add to that the heartburn which is new to me, did not have it with the others and to top it off I have a painful haemorrhoid which I also have never had before.  I had to go and get some cream for that yesterday.  This baby is determined to make this pg a memorable one.....I would know she was a girl even without the ultrasound because she is definitely making her presence felt just like her two sisters do.  You should start feeling that baby move soon, then he/she will keep you awake all night.  

mummyofharry:  I had the hydralyte iceblocks given to me in ER when I went in dehydrated.  i was extremely dehydrated at that point so they did not do much.  Having said that I did start on Hydralyte sachets soon after and I found that they were great.  I think they were mixed with 200ml of water and I would just sip small amounts all day and they did help me feel better and rehydrate.  I think they were the turning point because for a long time I could nibble at certain foods but just could not tolerate any fluids at all.  They got me going on drinking again and for weeks the only fluid I would feel like and keep down were the orange hydralyte.  They had a slightly salty taste which did not bother me and if i wanted a frozen drink i would freeze one.  I did not buy the ice blocks because i preferred the sachets but I do know many people prefer the ice blocks.  They are worth a try and if you find them too much to keep down they are always great to have in the cupboard if one of the kids gets sick.  I am like you, I down play everything.  I hide how I am feeling from everyone and then just break down when it all gets too much.  It was only on here that I felt like I could complain but even then I was always aware that someone else was worse off than me. My parents have no idea how bad i have felt this time because i was so sick last time that my Mum told me she would not support me if I was stupid enough to do it again.  When i got pg i waited for 10 weeks to tell my parents and then I told them that i was feeling good.  I hated not having my mums support but I had the girls here and my MIL stepped up and offered the help that my Mum would have usually.  My DH is supportive and my older kids help alot too and have seen me go through this twice in two years so they know how to help.  With everyone else IPL, I just do not tell them much, I have a few people who have seen all of my pg and know what it is like for me but they are all busy with their own families so other than ask how i am the support they give is limited.  Parents at school etc...I just do not go there with them because you get the whole"try crackers, ginger etc..."thing or the "yes I remember throwing up twice when I was pg, it was horrible" most people just do not get how bad hg is and never will unless they have to live it so I just do not bother trying to explain.  I hope you get some relief soon xx

Nicole7:  Maxalon definitely causes horrible side effects but only in some people.  I am a registered nurse and Maxalon is the most widely used antiemetic in most hospitals.  Most people are fine taking it but some people find the side effects too hard to cope with.  I do not have an allergic reaction to it so I can take it and would take it for a day or two of vomiting but long term it is horrible for me to use.  I know that some of my depression is caused by the hg but the depression or mood that maxalon causes feels different to that, it would be described better than i could describe it in info on the net.  If you have had no trouble in the past you are not likely to now.  All drugs have side effects but not everyone experiences all of those so it is a matter of finding out which drug is best for you.  They used to put the side effects on the box, then they put it all on a leaflet in the box, now they leave it up to the pharmacist to give it all to you or to the consumer to look it up.  

AFM:  Having an ok weekend.  Lazing around a bit.  My parents are coming this afternoon which should be interesting.  I usually love to see them but am also glad when they go.  Get tired of hearing all of the things I should be doing or how I should be feeling.  Mum likes to give me advice on how to raise the kids, like I have never raised a child before.  Oh well, better go and get myself ready for it all.

Hope you are all well, hugs xx

#102 bettymm

Posted 04 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

Hi Luvbngamum
thanks for being so honest about your experiences wink.gif I have a cousin with Downs who I have spent a lot of time with growing up and he is just beautiful .   It really wouldnt be the worst thing finding out one of my babies had DS.   I actually nearly opted out of having the test at all..but i wanted to see bubs in the ultra sound and it seems like it is all part and parcel they just take the measurements during the ultra sound routinely so i went along with it.  There is a blog which i love and the women who writes it has 2 girls, one with downs.  She started the blog before her DS baby came along (which was a surprise as she was in the low risk category) and the section where she writes about her birth story moves me to tears every time i read it.  its called "Enjoying the Small things" its really beautiful.

Sorry to hear about all your discomforts! at least you can take comfort in the fact that this is your last time going through this.  I really think that all us HG ladies need an easy ride though after going through what we have!!

My cold is FINALLY on its way out and im starting to be able to taste and breathe through my nose again which im very grateful for!

take it easy everyone
xx

Edited by bettymm, 04 July 2011 - 04:21 PM.

#103 Nicole7

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

Luvbngamum - Wow. Loved reading about your family. We had the NT scan but my hubby and I agreed before we got the results that we wouldn't terminate if we were high risk. I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but as far as disabilities go there's so much worse. Downs kids are so happy and gorgeous. Fortunately we were low risk. Funny hearing about your parents - mine used to be exactly the same. Luckily they've backed off completely during this pregnancy - my Mum has been a godsend.

Bettymm - glad your cold is easing off.

AFM I haven't been sick since Thursday and the nausea is easing off too. I was actually hungry today (I usually eat because I know it'll ease the nausea, I hadn't been hungry in ages so it's a good sign.) Still taking zofran and planning to cut back to half this weekend if the nausea stays away. Overdid it a bit today and feeling a bit achy and tired, but sooo much better than feeling sick - I even took DD to the park today for the first time in months.

xx

#104 Suzewantstwo

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Luvbngamum @ 03/07/2011, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Parents at school etc...I just do not go there with them because you get the whole"try crackers, ginger etc..."thing or the "yes I remember throwing up twice when I was pg, it was horrible" most people just do not get how bad hg is and never will unless they have to live it so I just do not bother trying to explain.

YES!!!

Hi everyone *waves*  I'm just on my way out the door but my next visit will include much neglected personals.  I do apologise.

Cheers.

#105 Nicole7

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

Hope everyone's doing well. I tried cutting my zofran in half last night but felt quite sick this morning and took the other half before it got any worse. I was hoping I could stop them but might give it another week or two. Definitely don't want to start spewing again. Also slept way better than usual last night so I'm wondering whether it's a coincidence or if the zofran is affecting my sleep (if I take it during the day it tends to make me feel drowsy so I figure it's possible).

#106 Serenzy

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:21 AM

Hey Suze, not long for us now!

Nicole, I'm so glad you're feeling better!

bettymm, how is your cold now? Hopefully completely gone.

Hello everyone else. xx

My HG has gotten worse the past two days, thank goodness I have less than 17 days to go before baby is here.

#107 Suzewantstwo

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:58 AM

Holy CRAP Serenzy, I just did the count and it's 16 days for me!!  I had better get my butt into gear and start this nursery.  I can't believe I've been so casual about this due date! hahahah.  I think a big part of it is the way I choose to cope with HG.  If I'm not counting down the days it doesn't seem to drag as much which is a lighter mental load to carry IYKWIM?

#108 Luvbngamum

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

Hi Girls,

Bettymm:  I am so glad that your cold is easing, hope that continues and it completely leaves you soon.  Some women feel great during pg but I always find that when I am pg I am more prone to getting sick.  I can go years without getting a cold or flu but as soon as I am pg I will pick up whatever is going around.  I even got whooping cough in pg number 3 despite having been vaccinated against it.  I was cross at my Mum on Sunday as she decided to visit without telling me that she had a bad cold and a chest infection. I spent the whole afternoon trying to keep the kids and myself away from her as much as possible.  When I mentioned to her that she should have stayed home in bed rather than come and pass her cold around she just said 'oh it's on its way out now and i am feeling better'...argh..
Thanks for sharing your feelings on Downs syndrome and your cousin.  I wrote my birth experience down when DS1 was born and it was published in a local newspaper at the time, when i re read it now it always makes me cry.  His birth was quick and it was such a surreal and amazing experience.  I still think of it as being both the best and worst day of my life.  The worst because everyone was so sad for us and the doctors were so negative about what we had to look forward to but, it was also the best because my DH and i were closer than we have ever been before that day, and our relationship has been made stronger by that experience.  

Nicole7; Your comment re Downs is not insensitive at all, it is exactly like I feel, we are lucky.  There are many couples who leave a hospital without a baby, we were lucky to have a beautiful son in our arms and have been so blessed to watch him grow into the amazing young man that he is becoming.  I never judge anyone elses choices though.  I know that there are people out there that would terminate a "Downs" pg and that is their choice.  I just hope that before making that choice a couple would go and see some kids who have Downs and talk to some families who have raised a child with Down syndrome child.  So many Doctors put the fear of God into you when you have a child that is, in their eyes, less than perfect and i feel that many babies with Downs, or other disabilities, are terminated because of the advice that the doctor has given rather than the parents educated choices.  I am glad that you are beginning to see an improvement in your hg, It feels so good when you know that things are beginning to improve.  Even a hour without nausea is a huge relief.

Serenzy and suzywants2:  I am so JEALOUS of you girls.  Wow you will soon be holding your beautiful babies, how exciting.  I have always tried to enjoy the last months of pg, feeling the baby inside of me etc... because it does pass too quickly.  I had hoped I would this time because it is my last but I find myself wishing the time away.  Even though the worst of the hg is over I still can not enjoy this pg because I am so tired and uncomfortable all of the time and can not wait to be able to crawl around on the floor with my 19month old again.  I feel so guilty telling him that I can not pick him up and carry him because he is too heavy.  LOL Suzy about your lack of preparing your nursery.  I have bought some clothes etc for the baby but have not done too much else.  Just have not had the energy.  I can't wait to hear about your babies when they arrive.  

Must go and do something today...Might try and cook something nice for dessert as a treat for the kids, Take care everyone, hugs xx

#109 spinninggirl

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

Bettymm: yay for the cold clearing, hopefully you'll get a burst of great health soon! I love that blog that you mentioned, read her story a while ago and she's a lovely writer. Also makes me wish I could take decent photos, she's very talented.

Suzewantstwo and Serenzy: it's not long to go for you guys now! I always love to see another 'survival story', it's inspirational! Good luck with the next stage.

Luvbngamum: I know what you mean about
I have bought some clothes etc for the baby but have not done too much else. Just have not had the energy
. I have bought some clothes but they haven't even made it inside the house - have been on the passenger seat of my car for weeks, gosh I feel so lazy and sluggish right now.

AFM, had my 20 week scan this morning and saw the little one jumping around. My husband thought he heard the radiographer call the baby 'she' a few times, so maybe we're having a girl... But I didn't hear anything so we're going with unconfirmed. DH is really hoping for a boy but at least if it's a girl I will have PLENTY of clothes for it!

My hospital has a centre associated with it that deals with perinatal emotional wellbeing and mental health care for mums and families. I had an appointment with a counsellor there on Monday and she was fantastic - totally supportive of me taking a proactive approach to managing the AND and PND before it becomes as bad as it did with my last pg. Such a contrast to my horrible OB!
She also recommended that I see a psychiatrist locally as part of setting up my support team for post birth in case things go badly. She had a great analogy - it's like wearing a seatbelt - not that I'm planning a crash but in the event that it does happen, I've got strategy in place to contain the worst of the damage. Not that the psych would appreciate going to medical school for a grillion years only to be called a seatbelt lol.
Strangely now that I've gone through all that I feel much more peaceful - part of the stress and anxiety was fear of the worst happening again; now I know that if it does, I will cope, I will be fine, and I've done everything I can to prepare.

I've had a couple of spew-free days recently  ddance.gif And on Sunday morning I even managed my all-time favourite food, yoghurt (only a couple of spoonfuls but it stayed down, a miracle). Funnily enough the night before I'd had a glass of vintage Veuve Clicquot champagne - it was absolutely divine and I loved every sip. I don't usually drink when pg and certainly don't usually feel like it but this was an exception.
And the next morning I ate some breakfast so it's entirely possible that a glass of expensive french bubbly every night is the cure to my hg. Would be cheaper than Zofran I think!

Hang in there everybody.
xx

Edited by spinninggirl, 06 July 2011 - 04:33 PM.

#110 bettymm

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:49 PM

Strangely now that I've gone through all that I feel much more peaceful - part of the stress and anxiety was fear of the worst happening again; now I know that if it does, I will cope, I will be fine, and I've done everything I can to prepare.

Spinning girl. thats so wonderful to hear.  Even just knowing you have a support team in place should things go pear shaped must be a great relief and ease some of that stress. Good on you.  I have my first midwife appointment tomorrow so im wondering whether to mention my fears of PND too.  I think i will mention it being as though im sure we will discuss how stressful this pregnancy has been the conversation will probably naturally lean there anyway.

As for "Enjoying the small things" she is very talented isnt she?  but makes me feel quite inadequate when i read her blog. The beautiful photos,  Her girls are always dressed so nicely, always seem to be going on some interesting adventure and oh my god the birthday parties!!!! geez.  

glad to hear youre feeling better and love your comment about the expensive bubbly! haha! I think you deserved it wink.gif

Luvbng amum..gosh it must be tiring with the 19 month old too.  My DD didnt walk till around 20 months so i was luggin her around constantly at that age..hope for your sakes he is walking at least!  though then you have to run around chasing them half the time i dont know which is worse?!  hope you get some rest soon

take care everyone xx

Edited by bettymm, 06 July 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#111 Kellzz

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

Hi my name is kelly and i have also suffered with HG.

The first 3 times was over the drs didnt know what to do with me. That was when i was preg in 1995, 1999 and 2002.

This time i got it again and the dr put me on maxalon and zofran which didnt help either. Last week i was so dehydrated that i had to be addmitted to hospital, the OB that i was under started me on a course of Prednisolone which is a steroid to control the vomiting. It has worked with me.

Apparently this is the new drug they are trying with ladies who have HG now.

#112 ~A2~

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Thread closed

New thread here

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.