Redipred

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 MrsIncognito

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:03 PM

I took my little one to the doctor today because of a croupy cough. The doctor has prescribed Redipred but all it says is Give 2mL  by measure at once immediately after food as directed.

Is it only once a day? twice or three.

Dr is closed now.

Age is 2 and weight 12kg if that helps

#2 -*meh*-

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

once a day. I have never been told to give it more than once a day.

#3 RealityBites

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

Only once per day!

And usually only for 2 or 3 days.

My DDs have both been on Redipred because of asthma, it is a very strong medication.

#4 *~*Kitty*~*

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:05 PM

It's once a day for that indication, my DD2 is 12 kgs and only has 1.5ml

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

I have been directed to even give redipred just once. Usually it is once a day for 2-3 days.

#6 jojonbeanie

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

Why not check with the pharmacist who dispensed the medication and who will have the original prescription on hand?

#7 HelenaHandbasket

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:08 PM

DS has just finished his 3 doses. He too had croup.

He had 1.5 ml, once a day (they told me it had to be at night) for 3 days only.

He improved really quickly. Hope your son does too

#8 Jupiter

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:10 PM

yyes.gif Please do check with the pharmacist, to be sure.

#9 Tooth-Fairy

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:12 PM

And if you've never had this medication before, be ready for a hyped-up-unable-to-sleep child.  

Sorry to have to say.

#10 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:18 PM

Absolutely check with the pharmacist.  Please don't take opinions on medication from random people on the internet.

#11 MrsIncognito

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (jojonbeanie @ 30/05/2011, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not check with the pharmacist who dispensed the medication and who will have the original prescription on hand?

QUOTE (Jupiter @ 30/05/2011, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yyes.gif Please do check with the pharmacist, to be sure.

QUOTE (Telmatiaeos @ 30/05/2011, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Absolutely check with the pharmacist.  Please don't take opinions on medication from random people on the internet.

The pharmacist asked me ohmy.gif because that is all that was written on the script. I will only give one dose tonight and ring Dr in the morning to clarify how many days to give it.

#12 purplekitty

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Telmatiaeos @ 30/05/2011, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The pharmacist should have made sure the instructions were clear when they handed out the prescription. They should have contacted the doctor.

#13 *mylittleprince*

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

I would check with a pharmacist, even if you phone a late night pharmacy.

DS had croup twice, both times he was prescribed redipred 1ml once a day. That amount seems massive! He is 20 months and 12 kg.

#14 Jamelex

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:52 PM

Double check with your doctor and the pharmacist (who shouldn't have dispensed the medication without a correct script), but it will only be daily.  It is usually 1mg per kg per day and pred is 5mg per ml so 2ml=10mg which is close to your DS's weight of 12kg.  HTH but please get it checked.

#15 MrsIncognito

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:26 PM

I rang the childrens hospital and they said just to give it once at night for the 3 days. The doctor will be getting a phone call in the morning for not being clear at all on the script.

This isnt my normal doctor either. Why is it when you are slotted in with someone else they always seem to stuff things up?

#16 whydoibother

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

the pharmacist should ring the doctor and clarify not ask the customer!  nno2.gif

DS I think had it once or twice a day for three days only but his was for allergic reaction

#17 tenar

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

When DD had croup and was about that weight she was prescribed 2ml once daily.  It does apparently tend to keep them awake, though, so we were advised to give it to her in the morning if possible.  I don't think we managed that - we gave her one dose in the night when she was coughing and "crouping" and we were all totally freaked out, and the next night she was OK again.

#18 Guest_Telmatiaeos_*

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:37 PM

I agree that the instructions from the doctor should be clearer and that the pharmacist should have checked.  Op I think you're doing the right thing in checking with the doctor in the morning.

#19 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:39 PM

DS was on redipred daily for months with his CLD, when in doubt always go for the lower does, it is a strong oral steroid and long term use or overdosing can have serious side effects...

#20 lustreless

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:46 PM

Redipred is a pretty serious medication to be giving a child. The doctor seems very complacent IMO.

I've only been prescribed it 3 times in the 10 years of my DD having pretty bad asthma. When I have been prescribed it, I've halved the dose myself as I really hate giving DD more steroids on top of what she already takes.

#21 Mumsyto2

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

It's once a day after/with food for 3 days. The Dr would not have written it on the script as it is standard usage (instructions would only be required if it was not standard usage for some reason). Normally the pharmacist would write the instructions on the dispensing label to clarify usage for the patient - the pharmacist should not need instruction from the Dr for Redipred via a script AND if they do they should not be practicing. I would be far more worried about the pharmacist than the Dr in this instance.

#22 Mumsyto2

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (lustreless @ 30/05/2011, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Redipred is a pretty serious medication to be giving a child. The doctor seems very complacent IMO.

Interesting! Very standard when asthma is uncontrolled and a child is about to get into serious trouble or is in serious trouble. Can I ask what you would suggest in the instances when a child is uncontrolled on their optimised preventer/controller combo if Redipred is not to be used?

#23 Jamelex

Posted 30 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

But a legal script should have included the frequency of administration.  IMO they are both at fault, the doctor for failing to provide all required information, and the pharmacist for dispensing the medication anyway.  He obviously knew he didn't have all the info he needed as he was asking the OP what the doctor told her!

#24 meaghanflametree

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

Confirming the reassurances above, OP - dose for croup is about 1mg/kg (so 2ml or 10mgs sounds fine, it's slightly rounded down but that's not important, and I suspect the prescriber has reasonably judged this less fiddly than mucking around fractional dosing) and it's generally once a day for three days, though advice on this can wiggle a bit.  

Don't be scared of it, it's magic stuff, just brilliant for the correct indications (many a frantic trip to the ED in the small hours has been averted by its timely use; it has revolutionized management of acute asthma and croup), but I agree steroids can hype some kids up.  They can get the munchies, too.

Hope you all have a settled night.

Edited by meaghanflametree, 30 May 2011 - 08:01 PM.

#25 lustreless

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

Very standard when asthma is uncontrolled and a child is about to get into serious trouble or is in serious trouble. Can I ask what you would suggest in the instances when a child is uncontrolled on their optimised preventer/controller combo if Redipred is not to be used?

The best thing to do is not let the asthma become uncontrolled in the first place. My DD has only needed it 3 times since her asthma diagnosis, all 3 times she has had an underlying illness which was causing her asthma to "play up". My DD has quite severe asthma which was diagnosed at age 4 after she had her first full blown asthma attack and nearly stopped breathing - She has never had an attack of that magnitude again because I as her parent make sure it is controlled. I don't rely on redipred to get me through.

When my DD was diagnosed I educated myself on the medications. The first time I was prescribed this medication in particular I had a chat with my doctor about what it was and its usage and have made my own decisions based on whats best for my child.

There can be long term consequences for the child if this medication is overused.

Edited by lustreless, 30 May 2011 - 08:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.