Has anyone heard of being induced for "mental health"?

31 replies to this topic

#1 goddessabrosia

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

Had anyone heard of or had a induction on the grounds of "mental health"?? A friend mentioned the phrase to me today and I was just wondering...

I hope that made sense. LOL

#2 purple_daisy

Posted 10 May 2011 - 11:07 AM

I have although the OB didn't use that exact phrase. I've had a very traumatic pregnancy with loads of medical complications, and plenty of uncertainty still to come as the health of my bub can't be assessed fully till after birth. My OB has spoken to me about the induction route as a way to manage my anxiety/BP levels - ie just having the induction date as one thing of certainty that is in the control of the mother can be an emotional help.

Not everyone will get that, but sometimes I guess you have to be in the situation to understand it.

#3 Tennasee

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:40 PM

I have. It's important for the mother to be in good mental health throughout the pregnancy, birth and beyond otherwise the child suffers.

#4 3_for_me

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:43 PM

Sort of although it was combined with severe SPD so I suspect that tipped the scales.

My husband was posted overseas with the defence force and I'd had a VERY fast and rather traumatic labour with my second and I was a little bit terrified of going into labour on my own with no one to help me other than my kids, that combined with the spd left me a blubbering mess in the birth centre at about 38 weeks and given she was a good size and an exam showed I was already slightly dilated anyway(I tend to get most of the way there weeks before I deliver) they were willing to break my waters at 39 weeks and see how things progressed

#5 rileys-mum

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

After a difficult pregnancy -- OB just said, "how about we make you not pregnant any more - I think you have had just about all you can take".  So yes, however, when I arrived at the hospital I was already 4cm so DS2 was already on his way.

#6 Guest_tigerdog_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:48 PM

As an advocate for as little intervention as possible, I'd opt for a natural birth over an induced one under almost any circumstances. I wouldn't expect a failed induction or traumatic birth/foetal distress/higher risk of c-section as a result of induction would be any better for a woman's overall mental health than having to just wait for the baby to come naturally!

Edited by tigerdog, 10 May 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#7 EvaFaithful

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:45 PM

Yes I have.

Like other posters have said - it is important for the Mother to be in the 'right head space' as well

For those who suffer severe anxiety/depression/mental health issues I think it is important to be discussing these things with your OB

#8 aussiebella

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (tigerdog @ 10/05/2011, 01:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As an advocate for as little intervention as possible, I'd opt for a natural birth over an induced one under almost any circumstances. I wouldn't expect a failed induction or traumatic birth/foetal distress/higher risk of c-section as a result of induction would be any better for a woman's overall mental health than having to just wait for the baby to come naturally!

What a crock of poo  mellow.gif

#9 Frightbat

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:55 PM

I did. I was pregnant with twins and i was a mess. I demanded to be induced or threatened to stop at Lincraft in the way home, get a crotchet hook, and do it myself. I posted about it on EB here The OB was against it but I insisted. I was induced at 37+2 weeks.

#10 Frightbat

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:59 PM

In the frame of mind I was in, those risks were of minuscule concern compared to being pregnant any longer.

Until you've been in that situation, you really can't comment.

#11 alisona

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Well said Aussiebella.

#12 ShoeLady

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:06 PM

yyes.gif a friend of mine was at 39 weeks, she has classed this as premmie but that's a whole different story.
I have not been successful today using this approach at 40+4 so hi ho hi ho back to try again friday I go.

#13 lclb

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:36 PM

Yes, I had my elective c-section at 37w5d for "mental health" reasons.

My first child was stillborn at 35 weeks via emergency c-section so I was pretty much a mess all through my second pregnancy. By the time I hit the 35 week mark my anxiety was overwhelming, I was so scared something bad was going to happen again.

I did my best to hang on as long as I could and my OB was very obliging and understanding.

This pregnancy I will have an elective c-section at 39 weeks but knowing the date will help to manage my anxiety as that 35 week mark gets closer.

#14 ShockPop

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:47 PM

I sort of was I guess.

I had SPD so severe I could barely get myself to the toilet without help, was on constant endone and DP had to take time off work. The OB at my original hospital told me under no circumstances would he consider inducing me until 41 wks because "You dont have a medical problem. Pain is common in pregnancy and you just need to learn to deal with it better. Early induction is dangerous for your baby and you would be selfish to consider it."

I went to a different hospital and was induced a week later at 38 wks.

#15 k-ko

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Yes, I was induced at 39 weeks and had a VBAC with DD.
I went into labour at 39 weeks with my DS, we had complications during birth, had an emergency c-sect. after he was born we found out he had a brain hemorage, we lost him when he was 3 weeks old.
I was terrified to go full term with my daughter, I was getting anxious approaching the same gestation so we went ahead with induction, my midwife and ob were fully supportive.

#16 ~river song~

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:51 PM

I had severe SPD, carpal tunnel which resulted in my whole hands being numb, I was miserable and as a result my BP was rising on and off. My Ob offered me an induction as I was in tears in her office and she saw I needed to not be pregnant anymore. I was 39 + 1 so she was fine with it.

As it turned out DS really needed to be born as his cord was VERY thin and divided in 3 parts and his weight gain and growth.

Bit of divine intervention I think. It worked out well for me but I had a VERY fast and painful labour with no chance for epi as all it took was for the gel and then I dilated really quick, but not what I call traumatic by any means.

Next time though I think I might leave it an extra week and see if I go into spontaneous labour.

#17 k-ko

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (lclb @ 10/05/2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My first child was stillborn at 35 weeks via emergency c-section so I was pretty much a mess all through my second pregnancy. By the time I hit the 35 week mark my anxiety was overwhelming, I was so scared something bad was going to happen again.

I did my best to hang on as long as I could and my OB was very obliging and understanding.

This pregnancy I will have an elective c-section at 39 weeks but knowing the date will help to manage my anxiety as that 35 week mark gets closer.

All the best with your pregnancy lclb.
Approaching the date is hard isnt it, I found having a set date gave me alot of relief and helped me manage alot better too.
original.gif Take care
K

#18 lclb

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for your support k-ko.

I'm sorry for the loss of your DS. I admire you for having a VBAC for your 2nd pregnancy, I wish I had of been strong enough to go down that path as I am now in a position where I have no choice but c-section.

x

#19 clare78

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:19 PM

With my DD I was scheduled to be induced for 'health and mental' reason.

I had pre-eclampsia, I could not walk due to SPD without a walking stick, my kidneys were staring to shut down, my stress levels were out the window and I had had enough.  Plus I have had a previous stillbirth to top things off.

So at 36w6d my OB agreeded to induce me the next morning at 6am so 37w on the dot.  DD didn't like that idea and arrived at midnight instead by her own accord!!

#20 atua

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

yes because at that moment you're in such a stable frame of mind that you are capable of rational thought  rolleyes.gif

i have had a friend have a c/s under similar grounds to one posted, i haven't been induced for mental health DESPITE being dx'd by the peri infant mental health team which is attached to the hospital - though i never asked for an induction.

FTR anyone even contemplating 'turning on the water works' and pleading 'mental health' - they see through you, they know when it's a genuine issue and a crock of poo.

#21 aussiebella

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (lclb @ 10/05/2011, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I lost my daughter at 40 weeks and 4 days and was induced the next day. The further along in pregnancy I get the more anxious i'm getting and I have already told them I do not want to go one day past 38 weeks!!! They can do whatever they like to me as long as they get bub out safe and sound!!!

I hope all goes well for you this time round xxx

#22 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:41 PM

I was with my last. Actually, it was a combination of mental health, social reasons and the pain I was in from SPD. I had three young children at home and two of them have special needs and I had no alternative care available for them. I was already 4cm dilated and had been in and out of early labour for weeks and due to the SPD I was physically unable to care for my other kids properly. My waters were broken and I delivered naturally (VBAC) just under 4 hours later.

FWIW, I had been seeing the hospital social worker and psychologist throughout the pregnancy, so all my concerns were known to be genuine, not just me bunging it on.

#23 Guest_holy_j_*

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:55 PM

No i haven't, i was refused when I asked- twice. The 2nd time, i was already having contractions for a day and asked for something to speed up the process a little, and again was refused. (3rd pregnancy & birth)

I believe that the long labour (2 days) after nearly 20 weeks of sleeping rarely more than 2 hours a night due to the pregnancy & related complaints, contributed majorly to my PND.

I am all for natural birth, home birth whatever you want as long as you are comfortable in your choices, but when other women can walk into a public hospital and demand a c-section for absolutely no medical reason, and get it, and I can't even get my waters broken or some gel or whatever to help me along...i can't help but feeling a little jipped.

ETA: have had an induction before with my first pregnancy, and it took a mere 6 hours to get from zero to hero after over 2 days of labouring- so chances are it would have worked again, given the circumstances of this labour were similar and i was contracting.

Edited by holy_j, 10 May 2011 - 07:57 PM.

#24 Lilura

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:30 PM

I'm being seen by a peri-natel mental health team due to anxiety and depression and they have mentioned that if necessary with some women they have worked with their OB/GYN to get them to deliver early.

Obviously it is a case by case basis dependent on the woman's state of mind and the potential for harm to the infant. I dont think any dr would agree to delivering a baby significantly prematurely, I imagine the mother would in that case have her mental state monitored very closely.

So yeh it happens, but I'm not sure how common it would be.

#25 Soontobegran

Posted 10 May 2011 - 10:39 PM

You can be an advocate for one person and one person only and that is yourself. Nobody needs your advocacy to help them decide how to birth their baby.
mad.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.