How quickly after the birth of my babies
will my swelling, SPD and carpal tunnel disappear?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Puddycat

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:34 AM

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how quickly their pregnancy woes disappeared after their babies were delivered?

In particular I'm interested in the horrible swelling I have disappearing, my SPD disappearing and my carpal tunnel disappearing.

Everything has been particularly bad for the last couple of days (I'm sure its just because I am extra sensitive to everything at the moment cause DP is away camping and I'm home alone!) and I cant wait to get rid of it.  Everyone tells me "it will go when the babies are born", but I want to know how quickly???

Thanks!

#2 livvie7586

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:40 AM

i didn't have your concerns, but i know my puppps, morning sickness and terrible back pain (with DS) all disappeared as soon as i had both kids

#3 city*reader

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:42 AM

for me with DD2 - I had SPD, a lot of back pain, and still a LOT of food aversions - it all disappeared literally the second she was born.  With DD1 I really didn't have much in the way of symptoms, but I was still averse to coffee til the day she was born but that also disappeared the minute she was born.

#4 sharkie81

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:43 AM

Out of all your ailments, I only had the swelling but it went down within days. I had swelling in my feet, hands, face. Gained 17kg when pregnant and had lost 10kg when DS was 3 days old.

#5 Guest_Monkey News_*

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:50 AM

I had carpal tunnel with my first, I stopped noticing it during labour and didn't feel it again afer that original.gif

#6 bearosauraus

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

My swelling disappeared as soon as I had DS.

#7 Guest_captain awesome_*

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

i had really bad swelling with DS (it felt like my skin was going to split by the end), and it took about 2 days to fully deflate. i peed constantly though lol

#8 MrsCee

Posted 24 April 2011 - 08:59 AM

My carpal tunnel took about 8 weeks to disappear fully and I still have a little swelling around my ankles which is still causing numbness down each side of my foot and my bub is 10 weeks old. My swelling caused lots of numbness in my feet and feeling has mostly returned in the other spots.

Can't wait till till I have full feeling in my feet.

If your carpal tunnel is bad (as mine was) can I suggest getting physio. I had it weekly and it helped reduce the severity.

Edited by MrsCarmen, 24 April 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#9 Mrs Dinosaurus

Posted 24 April 2011 - 09:04 AM

SPD and carpal tunnel were instantly gone, my swelling got a lot worse the day after (they had to cut my ankle tag off!) but was gone completely within a few days - constipation got considerably worse which I didn't think it could as my last few weeks were awful, having said that after craving a maccas chicken burger for two months I probably ate very badly in the first few days which would have made it worse anyway!

With the SPD about half go immediately, another 20% or so in the first month and most of the rest within 6 months but a % never get rid of it - so I kept up my physio until and after the birth for 3 months to be sure as it was terrible. I have it again now, which is much earlier than with DS but my physio says it will still most likely go away after birth.

Hope it all clears up fast for you.

#10 Puddycat

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Thanks Mods for moving this to the right section - I didn't even think to look in here.  blush.gif

Interestingly, I see there is a very similar thread a few posts down from mine, and the answers vary considerably.  In the other thread, most people took a while to return to "normal" and this thread it was a lot quicker.

So it looks like the general consensus is that it may or may not take a while and each person is different.  I'm not too bothered by it all.  Yes, its painful and yes its annoying and yes its inconvenient, but its not life threatening and its not harming my babies and it will eventually go.  So I will survive!  (I will probably just whine a lot between now and then).

Ive got a stomach tubi grip, Ive got a velcro brace, Ive got wrist splints, Ive got compression stockings etc etc etc.  So really its just a case of 'suck it up' and get on with it.

I'm 27 weeks today - so only 10 weeks to go til I meet my babies!   llove.gif

#11 BVB09

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

My carpal tunnel disappeared after having a few treatments of accupuncture. Took a few months ! original.gif

#12 **Renz**

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

I had Carpal Tunnel with Ds (born 2006), the last year or so Ive noticed it reappear. I think due to the angle my wrists are at work.

#13 puddina

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:05 PM

my carpal tunnel disappeared as soon as I had the babies. Swelling took about 2 weeks

Edited by IsaWill, 25 April 2011 - 01:07 PM.

#14 Charli73

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:24 PM

I had extremeley painful SPD and it is now after 7 weeks after birth can I walk longer distances without needing anti-inflams or ice for pain... but I have been seeing a womens physio/pilates post birth, pm for detals...

As for swelling NO-ONE told me I would swell even more after birth, my cankles were terrible as all the extra fluid/blood sinks and it took about 2 weeks to disappear completely thanks to sleeping with feet on a pillow, just be warned it gets worse after  birth...

#15 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:03 AM

My SPD improved after the birth, but was still a problem for me (despite regular osteopathic treatment) until I started doing pilates when DD was 8mo.  That made a huge difference, so keep this in mind if you are still in pain after they arrive.  It is wonderful when the bub is born and you can take Volatern or ibuprofen!

My fluid retention settled down a week or two after the birth.  I had mild carpal tunnel symptoms and that too settled pretty quick.  Good luck!

Edited by ednaboo, 27 April 2011 - 11:03 AM.

#16 4kids mostlysane

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:11 AM

I had shocking water retention with DS and escaped it until the last week of pregnancy with DD1 - I remember whinging to the OB about it and he said it would go away once she was born.  I remember wailing at him when DD was 1, possibly 2 days old "But I'm still all swollen"  cry1.gif  He just smiled, patted my arm and told me it would take a few weeks.  He was right  blush.gif  I swelled up to a certain extent with all my pregnancies but the worst of the swelling was usually gone within a few weeks.  And yes the horrible, flattering, very uncomfortable compression stockings do actually help......damnit. happy.gif

#17 Smileyhappy

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:18 PM

I really struggled with the feet and swelling. It took about 3 weeks to go down if not a little longer. My feet were ridiculously huge and that stretching feeling, and heat were awful. I truly did struggle with that the most.

Carpal tunnel - took about 6 months for it to really go away. All better now though so hopefully no sign of it reappearing.

#18 Minimouse27

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:21 PM

Carpal Tunnel- disappeared pretty quick after birth.

So did all the back/pelvic soreness- only to be replaced by the soreness of a vaginal birth with a *snip* down there. (ouch- and haemmaroids (spelling) too- double ouch)

Swelling- interestingly, I swelled HEAPS post birth- I got cankles. After about 6 days, they disappeared. The weight and rest of fluid is steadily coming off me now (I'm at Day 11 post birth).

#19 Sancti-claws

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

Of all of your woes, I only had the swelling, and it was fairly well gone half-way through labour (thank you DH for that gem!!).

#20 TwinMumNat

Posted 08 May 2011 - 01:29 PM

Hi
My back pain left me after 6 weeks, my swelling probably took 8 weeks (to the extent that I could wear rings again)

Good luck with it all!

#21 JupitersMoon

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:35 PM

My carpal tunnel reduced within days but took a few months to completely go (it was very bad, I couldn't even hold a up of coffee in the mornings as my fingers didn't work). The swelling took a few weeks to completely go. I didn't have SPD but I had very bad hip pain at night - couldn't lie still for more than an hour or two without being in agony... I still get that, not quite as bad but enough to ruin my sleep. DD is nearly 1.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.