• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 EBeditor

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/life-style...0407-1d56s.html

leave a message for Nut here.

#2 Guest_Dinah_Harris_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

Thanks for sharing and for reminding us to connect with family and friends as often as we can.  I'm so sorry for your loss.
But Nut, this wasn't your fault.
RIP Lothar.

EFS.

Edited by Dinah_Harris, 07 April 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#3 PurpleNess

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:04 PM

So sorry for your loss & thank you for being brave enough to share your painful story. RIP Lothar

#4 Bex_star

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

A heartfelt and raw account of something so painful and yet so often not spoken of.

Im so sorry Nut that you and your family had to experience this type of loss and Im so sorry for your brother who obviously felt so lost he couldnt see the way out.

xx

#5 Therese

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Thank you for sharing your story with us.  It took a lot of courage.

You have reminded me to cherish every moment with people.  Thinking of you and your family.  Xxx

#6 TinyTeddys

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:12 PM

A member of my immediate family took their life a few years back and other than family, most people close to me don't know they commited suicide. Thank you for sharing your story, I know how hard it can be, RIP Lothar

#7 B.M.C.M.I.E

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thank you for sharing your story Nut.

I'm sorry for the loss of your brother but I appreciate you sharing, it gives a little comfort to those who've been in the same situation.

I truly hope this helps people see warning signs and to help someone in need.

#8 boymakingmachine

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Nic you wrote your story so well. I am like i was when it happened so deeply sorry that you have to go through this.

#9 andyk

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

Thank you for sharing your story.  I am so sorry for the loss of your brother.

#10 Mercurial

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:25 PM

Nut - thank you so much for sharing your story.  I can't imagine how difficult the last 10 months have been for you and your family.  

Thank you also for reminding us why it's so important to love and enjoy our families.

#11 Guest_maybelle_*

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:30 PM

Thankyou for sharing.  I wish you didn't have such a story to tell.

#12 mummy2bailey

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:32 PM

I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious brother, thankyou for sharing your story I can't imagine how hard it was to write

And thankyou for reminding me not to take my family for granted, we too are a very close family and you would never think it could happen to one of our's, your story made me relise it can happen to anyone, anytime

Take care xx

#13 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:33 PM

that's powerful reading.

#14 ToddlerWrangler

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

Oh Nut I am so sorry for the loss of such a kind hearted soul. Thank you so much for sharing your story, i know it would have been hard to write. I think that it is truly beautiful that you all have a tattoo that is a memory and will stay with you always.
It has made me think of my BIL who is currently depressed, i will make an effort to see him more.

Sending you lots of love to you and your family

#15 Accidental

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for sharing, Nut.

I'm going to take a family photo with DH when he gets home, we don't have one yet and I guess I never considered there may be any urgency, but you really never do know.

#16 cardcarryingferal

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thank you for sharing your story - it has a real personal resonance for me. My family too are very close, like you said, others joke that we are 'abnormally' close. For the past few months my younger brother has seemed down and withdrawn; whenever I've asked him if everything has okay, he's brushed me off. I've always thought that, because we are so close, if something was really wrong, I would know about it. This has reminded me that that's not true.

#17 =R2=

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:50 PM

What a touching story Nicole and so sorry for your loss  sad.gif.

My husband (also in IT) was bullied at work some years ago before our first child was born. I'm sure he went into depression and it was scary seeing your loved one replaced by a souless being. We agreed that resigning was the best thing to do. He found more dignity in being unemployed in the short term compared to his whole being ripped apart at work week after week.

I'm so sad for your brother having nobody to turn to and talk to during his darkest days. I hope your family finds some peace and love in remembering him.

#18 Cat People

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thank you Nut.  Beautifully written.

#19 B-B-M

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:00 PM

Thank you for sharing a story that never should have to have been written. I have also lost a sibling to suicide (sister). No words can describe it.

I send strength to you and your family.

#20 Peppanickel

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your brother Nic.  Please just know that nothing you could have done would have changed it.  As someone who has been to those depths regularly, who has had a couple of failed attempts, has been hospitalised a few times for being suicidal there is not anything that anyone could have done any differently or said any differently that would have changed my mind or prevented the attempts that I did make.

#21 Gurt

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

I am in tears. I am just so sorry for the loss of your brother, but thank you for making us aware that we should make every day count (I am one who has no photos of me with the kids either because I hate them - You have inspired me to change that). Thinking of you x.

#22 tickly_rain

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:13 PM

Beautifully written, Nut.

#23 babatjie

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:29 PM

Thank you for sharing Nut. It's so true what you said about saying 'I love you' and taking photos. So often I say no to a photo because I don't feel my best.

I can see the family resemblance between your son (when you had him in your sig a while ago) and your brother.

#24 Peanut

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

I have never forgotten that photograph of your father mourning his son at the funeral.  Very powerful and very moving.

All the best to you and your family, Nut.

#25 red door

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

wow Nut...your line "drowning in his own mind..." made me cry.

Strength be with you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.