September 05 Parents #402

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#51 Lili-Belle

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

Kay: Are you sure you're not looking too much into it? I think when we are looking at our own children we look at them and have a perception on how we think they should be interacting with others. They are only young so they are only just learning how to associate with other kids as well. Everyone is different. Just think about how many close friends you have from when you were at school. They change all the time right?
I went through a stage when I was really worried about Lili. She had one friend from playgroup for years but all of a sudden, that girl started to ignore Lili & tell her that she didn't want to be her friend. I thought it was a one off tiff but things stayed that way. I felt so sorry for Lili but it didn't really bother her much at all. She just played by herself or someone else. That same girl goes to her school but they don't hang out.
I guess what I am trying to say is that as long as the other kids are physically or emotionally hurting Nate, I don't think you need to worry.  original.gif
Lili talks ALOT about not a lot. Barbie, Grammy, Isobel, what happened at Vacation Care/School, Maths, Ethan (the boy at school that they all giggle at LOL) Flowers/Planting, Cooking (loooves Masterchef but not that interested in actually cooking), Scoobies (clear plastic threads that you make stuff from) iphone, iphone, iphone!  rolleyes.gif

Karina: I think I will be having an intimate party for Lili this year. Nothing planned or sorted out just yet. original.gif I highly recommend getting out of the house though. Then it's more likely someone else will cater & clean up after.  happy.gif

Edited by Lili-Belle, 13 July 2011 - 07:33 PM.

#52 Kay1

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:06 PM

Thanks guys. original.gif Thanks Leesa. original.gif Very kind words and very true.

I am not really worried about him as he is happy and he does have friends (one is a girl in Year 2). Fortunately he is crazy about sport and handball so he has friends through that, but he doesn't seem to be able to 'chat' to them unless he fakes it and tries to be silly and it just seems quite forced (to me). But maybe it was just these two boys who are besties and attached at the hip admittedly. Nate just wanted to chat to the mums and the older brother - who thought he was weird.

Ok so these are the kinds of things he talks about. This is a sample from the last two days:

How big is the moon?
How big is the universe?
Everything in the universe faces a certain way, nothing can face against itself (wtf wacko.gif , this is his big theory atm).
Infinity plus infinity equals what?
What is the youngest country?
Why are swear words bad?
Where did aboriginal people come from? Who borned (LOL) them?
How big is space/the universe (asks this every day atm even though we've watched Youtube clips explaining it)
What is the longest street in the world?
Is Japan a rich country?
Why are so many things made in China?
Can we ever be in the past?
Is Julia Gillard the first girl Prime Minister in the world or just in Australia?
Can the Prime Minister go to jail?
Do kids go to jail?
Why doesn't gravity make aeroplanes fall down?
What is the difference between a comet and an asteroid?

He also went through a phase of randomly collapsing in a screaming heap and bawling "I don't want to die" and getting completely distraught about death - very inconvenient when it happened at the shops.

Ok, you get the gist. This is probably half the questions he has asked in the last 48 hours. It is constant and frankly freakin' exhausting. I guess I am just not sure if its 'normal' or not and I don't want to ask his friends' mums because it might sound like I'm showing off how smart I think he is - which of course I do wub.gif - but its more that I am trying to figure out if this is a problem for him in terms of social interaction. I mean he can giggle about farts with the best of them but I wonder if sometimes he goes on about this stuff and they think he's weird. unsure.gif I have no benchmark! shrug.gif

He has one good buddy who is gorgeous and when we were in the bus on the way to the excursion a while back they were chatting and the next thing turned around and asked me if boys could marry boys and girls could marry girls in Australia. Holy crap - talk about pressure, on a school bus at 9.30am no less!! ohmy.gif I always assumed all kids asked these sorts of questions but I've mentioned one or two in passing to this friend's mum and she looked at me like I had grown an extra head. Which is why I am asking you guys instead. original.gif

Edited by Kay1, 14 May 2012 - 08:52 PM.

#53 ~LisaJ~

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:36 AM

Hi!!! Just popping in quickly to catch up!!

Had a skim through so will respond to what I can remember!!

Cai - I feel like Ryan is a bit 'different' sometimes. Actually I KNOW he is different, lol! We have him at a therapist right now to help with his inability to self-regulate. This causes his tantrums and it also results in him being a bit forceful with other kids IYKWIM? He just comes accross as intense and that causes some kids to shy away from him (breaks my heart sad.gif )
Personally I think that Nate's intelligence might make it a bit difficult for him to relate to other kids but he will find his own way in time. There are always commonalities with kids even if we don't see it!
Ryan asks a lot of strange questions, What's inside blood, what's inside your hair? Who made the earth? Is God magic? Who made God?!! Mostly though he talks about Harry Potter, Spiderman, Ben 10 etc which is the main topic of conversation at school!

Renee - I feel for you sweet sad.gif Such a huge adjustment for you on so many levels. I agree with Leesa, maybe you could start blogging!! You are a most entertaining lady, I would certainly follow it!! MWAH xx

Leesa - I was so sorry to hear about your Dad. hugs to you and your Mum, it must be so hard for you both sad.gif Enjoy your trip to the Gold Coast, I am sure you will all have a ball.

Karina - We are having a Gymnastics party for Ryan this year. The local gymnastics club does hosted parties for reasonable prices, then I am just doing boxed food (think Happy Meal but healthier!) for each child. I usually do them at home, but with Uni this year it is just too hard.

Mardi - I saw your post form a while ago. I am still sure I want to teach, lol!! I know report time is particularly stressful, I watched my prac teacher go through it and I am sure I will stress when I am going through it! I really enjoyed my prac (although mega-exhausted!) so I figure that is a good sign!!

Ok, that's all I can see so huge hugs to everyone else xxx

Well, me..... I am enjoying my holidays which feel long overdue!! Have just finished my 4 weeks of full time prac which was lots of fun and lots of stress (in equal amounts!) but I did really well. I got a glowing report from my mentor teacher adn feel much more confident about the whole teaching process now original.gif  The next 3 weeks are hopefully going to be full of rest and relaxation!! We are off to Bali next week which I am HANGING OUT for, so are the kids!! Now I am home, I have been pulling all their summer clothes out of their drawers and just put them straight in a suitcase, so we are just about all packed!!

I also got a new car (some of you may have seen the pic on FB) which I am in LOVE with. It's a bright blue bogan-mobile (Commodore SV6) as DH calls it  rolleyes.gif and despite his initial stress about buying a new car, he has fallen equally in love with it! It is so much bigger than my little Corolla which is great but a rather large adjustment when parking!

Ok, I am heading off to bed.
Much love to all
Lisa
x
I a

#54 Kay1

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:02 AM

I feel like Ryan is a bit 'different' sometimes. Actually I KNOW he is different, lol! We have him at a therapist right now to help with his inability to self-regulate. This causes his tantrums and it also results in him being a bit forceful with other kids IYKWIM? He just comes accross as intense and that causes some kids to shy away from him (breaks my heart  )

Lisa - This was completely Nate up until recently. He had no impulse control and would lash out. He seems to have done a 180 now though and if anything is a bit too anxious about doing the wrong thing or getting into trouble. I hope the therapy helps Ryan. It is so hard seeing them struggle socially. sad.gif Those questions are very familiar! Its hard answering them sometimes isn't it? We go to the library a lot! laughing2.gif

#55 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have not really read much, so I am just doing the survey for the moment.  I am supposed to be doing some quotes and invoices, but I am procrastinating.

Height: 112cm last I checked, but she has shot up a heap since then.
Weight: 18kg
Lost any teeth? 2, with one more nearly out, and one shark tooth at the bottom - poor kid is going to have crooked teeth. sad.gif
Lost any body parts (surgery etc)? Nope
Night dry? Yep
Any pacifiers (bottles/blankies)?  Nope.  Likes to cuddle a soft toy at night, but isn't fussed which.
More sporting, artistic or academic?  She is a bit of an all-rounder.  She doesn't really stand out in any one area.
Music likes?  Nothing specific
sporting likes?  Skating, wants to start Gymnastics
reading unassisted?  Kinda getting there.
What are they obsessed with?  The moon.  Lollies. lol. Not really anything else specific.

#56 ~*Sharon*~

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

OK - reading back a little bit (and still not doing my invoicing and quoting)

Leesa - I am sorry to hear about your dad.  Love to you all.  xx

Kay - Hannah asks a lot of questions, probably not quite as in depth as Nate, as she would have no idea who Julia Gillard was, for example.  I can't think of specifics, but questions about people going to jail, why things happen, what if's... that kind of thing.

I would be inclined to agree with Lisa that a lot of it comes from Nate's intelligence.

Hannah has other issues relating to kids, because she has problems with Auditory Processing, she does not follow social situations very well, so that is starting to make it hard for her to follow what is happening within games, etc.

Hannah's class has a lot of boys as well (like about twice as many boys as there are girls), but maybe it is just the group of kids, but it has never really made any difference.  It was actually bought up at PT interviews that the kids need to start developing smaller groups of friends, as at the moment all the kids play together or in large groups, which will make it harder for them if they are separated when they move into grade 1 next year (it is a small school, so one prep class, then composite classes after that).

Lisa - have an awesome time in Bali!!!

Karina - I am being slack this year.  Hannah can have a party at a local place called Relax Max - they do plaster painting and other activities with the kids.  Low stress.

Renee - I don't really have anything to offer, but I just wanted to send you some love.  xxx

Us... nothing much exciting to report.  I recently had some photos in the national professional photography awards, and from 3 photos received 2 silvers and a certificate of attainment (which is just under a silver) which I am pretty stoked with.  I am now only one point short of getting my associateship, which means I will become "Sharon Fyfe AAIPP" lol. I am kind of excited about getting some "letters" after my name.

The kids are both sick at the moment, with chesty snotty things.  I am just hoping they will be well in time for school/kinder next week.  I have loved having them home (my kids are awesome on school hols, and just spend all their time playing together!) but I am looking forward to the down time too.

I had better go and finish this work so I can go and make dinner.

#57 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:57 PM

Just wanted to wish all the September Children a very Happy 6th Birthday.

We are going okay, Elizabeth still can't organise herself out of a paper bag.  We are regularly missing afterschool club at the library because she is late.  We don't watch tv, she doesn't get computer time, she doesn't attend other extra stuff after school so that is all I have.  I am trying not to shout in a morning so she just gets to school late.  

Both girls have been sick over the last month so I am hoping that they are on the mend now.  Rhiannon has been sick constantly since April so I am really over sick children.  With Elizabeth we have been lucky and as a result have so far, touch wood managed to avoid the hospital.  We did spend a week in daily contact with them and there were several close calls over that week but we were able to treat and keep her at home.

Elizabeth is another one who is constantly chatting and asking questions.  I think this is generally good but there are days when I find it very exhausting.  I think future models of children should come with pause, off and on switches, then life might be easier. original.gif  I think Rhiannon is following in her big sisters steps with chatting somehow.

What are people's plans for the September school holidays?  

I need to go back and finish reading the thread, I have had several goes but keep getting interrupted by the little ones so in the end I thought I would just post and then read.

#58 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Okay we are now 3 terms into our children's first year of school, would any one consider moving their child?  If so what would you consider major reasons?

I am guessing lots of activity happens of FB, is there a FB group for this mum's group?  If so could I please join?

Thanks

Sarah

#59 Ms Kelly

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:23 PM

Just came to show off my ticker. Didn't realise we still post in here. cool.gif

#60 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:08 PM

Ms Kelly good luck, I hope all goes well for you. original.gif

#61 maisy_jane

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

WELL HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLO LADIES.....long time no see hey!!....last time i was on here a few years back now there wasnt anyone posting lol...looks like you have all reappeared YAYYY!!....so updates hows everyone going!!??...geez i used to live in here...my world seems to be all FB lately...cant remember the last time i updated anything...but im sure i told u all that i had number 4...Kooper that was geez february 2008...definitely mr last...but to much suprise i found out about a month ago i wasnt actually putting on weight but that i was 35 weeks preg with number 5!!...ultrasound last thursday dated me @ 38weeks 1 day but doc still dating me at 36 weeks...eeek...well gotta fly gotta pick my now 12 year old baby girl up from the bus as she went to the royal easter show today....but cant wait to catch up with everyone!!... love to all and take care...will start to visit more often now i know you are all still around!!!... <3

#62 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

maisy_jane congratulations, I hope that all goes well for you. original.gif

Elizabeth is now in grade 1 and it has been an interesting start to the school year for us.  I have returned to full time work after 2 years maternity leave following the birth of my second baby.

#63 maisy_jane

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

gee wiz since i posted that it looked like everyone was posting its gone dead quiet again!....go figure...did i scare everyone away?????

gee wiz since i posted that it looked like everyone was posting its gone dead quiet again!....go figure...did i scare everyone away?????

#64 maisy_jane

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:31 PM

hellllooooooooooooooo wheres everyone gone?????????

#65 MegMogandFiestyCat

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hi Maisy_Jane

I don't think you scared people away, I believe that there is a FB page for this group.

Have you had your baby?

Hope all is going well. Is your September baby a little boy or girl? Mine is a little girl who thinks she knows everything original.gif

Have fun

Fiestycat

#66 ~3boysmummy~

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:29 PM

Wow, didn't think this group would still be here. It has been a long time since I posted on Essential baby!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

'Chopstick Baby' born at 23 weeks

Given the nickname of 'Chopstick Baby' by local media, a baby born weighing 660g has survived a week outside the womb.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.