Best and Worst Baby Purchases
What items are used most or are a total waste of money?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 ollies~girl

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:38 AM

Hi,

Bub is just after turning 5 months and we are thinking of getting some new baby stuff today, top of the list are a bumbo seat and a musical activity centre. Got me thinking about what items we have that we can't live without for bub or are a complete waste of money?  So here is my list

Best Purchase:

Fisher Price Rock and Play for newborn - bub practically lived in this for the first three months, loved the rocking motion when he was going to sleep, and loved playing in it with his soft toys - it's probably my favourite / best value purchases of all.  He is still using it in the early morning and evening during meal times, but we might move him to a high seat soon.

Baby Bjorn - a saviour when bub was going through evening witching hours from around 6-10 weeks, took him for a walks in it and he calmed down and usually fell asleep in no time, peace at last!!

Worst Purchase : The only thing I can think of are baby hats / mitten sets - I probably purchases five and never used them, bub was born just as the weather was getting warm so a total wast of money, I have given them all away.   At least they weren't expensive.  

Bub Loves: Just thought I would add that bubs fave item to play with - Jellykitten "My boo Book" which was a given from overseas family, a soft crinkly colurful book - he loves the noise it makes and apparently it tastes good too !!  Am hoping to order one online for my friends new bub.

Let's hear from you - might give me some ideas for our little one!!

#2 Unatheowl

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:47 AM

Probably the most useless things I had are those pre-sewen swaddle things with the velcro tabs that I cant to this day figure out how to secure.  Baby just got out of them by about day 3 post hospital.

#3 Guest_starbellied_*

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:51 AM

My favourite three purchases for my baby when she was 0-6 months were:

her tummy time mat (we had a few different tummy time mats, this was just one)

This crib book, she loved the black and white side (used during tummy time)

Dr Brown bottles... these saved my sanity, I seriously loved these bottles

What was the biggest wast of money... the dresses... I had over 50 dresses for her in size 000 to 00 and I recently sold most of them still with tags on.  She lived in body suits (she was my first girl, I just wanted dresses, until I remember how stupidly impracticable they are laugh.gif

and when I bought these I loved them, but they don't eat that small an amount of food very long, I should have have just used ice cube trays.

#4 meteor

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

Biggest waste of money - a Bumbo (only it was the other brand). It never really fitted my child properly and had limited use.

#5 Unatheowl

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE (starbellied @ 27/03/2011, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This crib book, she loved the black and white side (used during tummy time)

I'll second that for one of my BEST buys.

Edited by unatheowl, 27 March 2011 - 08:09 AM.

#6 Mamabear2010

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:14 AM

Best purchases- baby bjorn!!! I have used it so much- settling, shopping, walks, holidays...I would have struggled without it.

In the first few months- a f&p swing and an activity mat/play gym (the mat with the frame of toys over the top).

At 6 months- a f&p learning house. It's a door with lots of activities. I've bought it for my nephews and my ds. They've all loved it and it lasts for ages.

Worst purchases- a sling. Ds wasn't comfortable and just cried when I put him in it.

I wouldn't say the bumbo was a bad purchase, but I definitely haven't used it as much as I expected.

#7 livvie7586

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

best-both kids have loved our Fisher price swing original.gif  

worst-a jolly jumper, both hated it

#8 Accidental

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:28 AM

Best: baby bjorn
Worst: the sling, DD hated it, she was too long to be comfy

Lots of toys I bought for DD1 as a baby she wasn't interested in, but as a toddler she has more use out of.

#9 Avogadro

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

One of the best things I bought was one of those play centres (kind of like a walker but without the wheels).

I could put DS in it while I was in the shower and he'd happily play/chat to me.  Better than having a bubs crawling around the bathroom!

Like this one http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/safety-1st...ctivity-centre/ but without wheels.

Edited by Avogadro, 27 March 2011 - 08:33 AM.

#10 FeralSingleMum

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:44 AM

Best Jolly Jumper. Both my kids loved it. Angel care moniter, it saved my sanity when I was a new mum and worried about breathing.

Worst Tiny clothes. I just couldn't resist but they just grew out of the cutest outfits. Cheap bottles (for newborns). I have learnt my lesson if we have another one, only Avent for mine.

#11 dorkalicious

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

Best: babasling, mcns, fisher price cradle swing
Worst: Phil & Ted carrier (uncomfortable), size 0000 clothes (he went straight into 000), avent food steamer/blender (makes only small amounts should have bought larger adult one by different brand)

#12 rokate

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:53 AM

Best:

Newborn: Terry cloth nappies.
6month: Fisher price jumperoo and Sophie the giraffe.
12month: fold out sofa, perfect for him to lay and have his bottles.

Also Ergo carrier and Unity Capsule.
Worst:
Play mat, he used my Minimink throw on the ground instead.

#13 Charmzy

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:06 AM

Best:
Fisherprice Jumperoo
Swing or bouncer depending on the baby in question as some preferred one to the other, none really liked both.
Baby capsule
Close baby carrier for 0 - 9 months
Ergo Baby carrier for 6+ months
Baba sling for quick trips using hip carry
Strider Plus

Worst:
Tummy Tub was too awkward for a tiny baby so I gave up as she just floated in it rather than 'sitting'on the bottom
baby bjorn sooo uncomfortable and didn't last long
cheap prams (kmart and target cheapies and a love n care pram.. waste of money, nightmares to push, bulky etc)

#14 amicrazy

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

best: Jolly Jumper, Babyhawk carrier, fisher price swing, Phil and Teds portable high chair.

worst: bumbo as my kids were crawling at 6 months so would get out of it.

#15 Cat's Pyjamas

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:31 AM

Best purchase was the activity centre like this one  We have used it HEAPS with both kids.

Love the Ergo as well - saved my back during the reflux stage

Wrap Me Up was awesome in the early days

We had far too many small muslin wraps... the big ones are great, but the small ones are quite useless...

fancy highchair - looks all nice and comfy, but such a pain to clean! If I had my time again I would just get an Ikea one.

DD hated the swing.

#16 M'sMum46

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:42 AM

What brand are these crib books?? They look like such a good idea!

My best was the Fisher Price Grand Piano when DS was pulling himself up on things.

http://www.productreview.com.au/item/image...l?item_id=18869

They are really hard to find thought otherwise I would buy it as a present for everyone...

#17 Guest_starbellied_*

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Cat's Pyjamas @ 27/03/2011, 09:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best purchase was the activity centre like this one  We have used it HEAPS with both kids.

fancy highchair - looks all nice and comfy, but such a pain to clean! If I had my time again I would just get an Ikea one.

We had the exact same activity centre, but we didn't really use it because our townhouse is really small and it took up half the lounge, but if we had available space it would have been much more used (we bought it because out daughter loved it at day care).

With the high chair, I 100% agree.  We bought a multi-height, reclining, padded do everything high chair... I wish we had just bought the simple ikea one also.  Cleaning padded high chairs is awful.

#18 lozoodle

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:51 AM

Best buys: Amby Baby Hammock and bouncinette (just the cheapo brand bouncer, nothing fancy). They got me through the newborn unsettledness. Strider plus pram so my two year old could sit in the bottom seat and my newborn could be in the top section in her car capsule. Made life so easy getting out and about in the early weeks.

Worst buys: Peanut shell sling and baby bjorn carrier. Some babies / people love them. I have a friend who used her peanut shell heaps and really found it fantastic, but I just can't stand baby wearing so for me it was a huge waste.

#19 krissy28

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Best Purchases:

Grobag for 3-6mths
Pack of old style cloth nappies for catching spews
Fisher Price Booster seat for table-DS is still in it at 3yrs!

Could have done without purchases:

Bumbo-mimimal use (heaps of these available second hand to buy)

Kindercot-Bought instead of a porta cot-used a few times hopefully more with second bub as can be used up to 4yrs old

Fair amount of clothing-lots bought for my baby shower that was hardly used. cry1.gif

Baby Bjorn carrier: I bought second hand which Im glad I did. Used a couple of times but them DS hated it. Hopefully the second bubs will be more happier in it.

Worst Purchase:

High Chair-the fancy pancy reclining padded seat ones. PITA! Should have bought the IKEA One!

#20 ~Peaches~

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:59 AM

Best:

Peanut Shell sling, DD LOVED it and would settle immediately in it. We used it for months.
FP playmat, she loved that.
And FP bouncer, she also loved being in that.
And books with 'noisy' buttons rolleyes.gif She is completely obsessed with them and they keep her entertained for ages.
And yes we got a 'Childcare' brand high chair from Target, so basic and so easy to keep clean, and only $39 (we don't have IKEA here, so the next best thing!)

Worst:

A baby monitor. We have never ever used it.
Too many 0000 clothes ddoh.gif
A floaty seat for the pool/beach. DD grew out of it so quickly and preferred to just be held and splashing in the water anyway.

We found the bumbo pretty handy, especially when going to other people's houses so she had somewhere to sit and eat, and to take outside while I was hanging the clothes on the lines etc. DD only fit in it till 9 months though so I was glad we'd used it since she was 3 months old, not sure if it would've been worth it from 5 months, especially as she could sit unassisted by 6 months? But I'm glad we have it for future children too original.gif

#21 Holidayromp

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

Best

Baby Bjorn carrier - didn't have it with DD1 but DD2 loved it and virtually lived in it for a couple of years (she was tiny!) DS hated it!!!
Cloth nappies - for spew catching
Mothers Choice Hi-Lo highchair - adjustable and easy to clean - bought it new - it is now 9 years old and still going strong and still looks good too!

Worst

Fisher price mobiles - they don't last - waste of money
Snugli branded baby carrier - tried it with DD1 and DD2 before I bought the Baby Bjorn and it didn't feel secure - I had to clutch baby as it felt as though she was going to fall out
Baby Sling - uncomfortable
Small wraps - best to go straight into the large ones

#22 NightRain

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:07 AM

Best: Sling, Baby bjorn( snergy), F&P electric swing, F&P rainforest baby gym, unity capsule( fitted into my P&T pram, Bumbo ( in the shower or bath), F&P booster/feeding chairs, Bonds wondersuits ( EB fashion police will disagree LOL), Square cloth nappies ( to clean up mess/vomit etc)

Worst: Jolly jumper,Steelcraft highchair ( some big bulky thing that reclined etc.Prick to clean and took up heaps of room),baby shoes, baby girls head bands( DD hated them),

I never used a baby monitor.I thought about it but I could hear every noise even when downstairs hanging out the washing.

#23 Chubub

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

Best: Jolly Jumper, Bouncer, angel care monitor, bonds wondersuits & singlet all in ones.

Worst: Elmo swing!! & shoes (presents from others)

#24 Mille-Mille

Posted 27 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

BEST.

Tripp Trapp high chair - looks good as well as being comfy and easy to clean.  Also can be adjusted for a growing baby.
Emmaljunga pram - Awesome.
Little fold out couch from Kmart - DD loves relaxing in it.
FP laugh and Learn dog - we have one in English and one in Norwegian (DD's second language).
Medela swing breast pump - Without it DD would have got a lot less time with BM.
Baby Bjørn - Great for settling in younger months and handy for travelling.

WORST.

Crib mobiles - Made DD cry.
Too many small outfits that barely got worn.
Too small muslins.

#25 Cazzamattaz

Posted 27 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

Best:
Close Baby Carrier - still use it & DD is nearly 10 months old
Ergo Cocoon swaddles - loved that I could either have her arms in or out. Only stopped using these about a month ago.
A $3 plastic mirror from a dollar discount shop - DD loves looking at herself & laughing so gives her endless joy!
Rubber ducks of all sizes - she's obsessed...
A CD of playschool "50 best nursery rhymes" - If DD is getting cranky in the car or before nap time etc she hears the first song and is instantly smiley & bops along (I now have copies in both cars, downstairs CD player, upstairs CD player, grandparents house etc just in case!)

Worst:
Dresses in sizes 0000 & 000 - so many never get worn, bodysuits were our thing.
One of those Tommee Tippee mesh feeder thingys that you put fruit in. DD didn't like it at all, and much preferred just sucking/chewing on the fruit.
Baby Bandz sunglasses - DD hates the band around her head & pulls them off instantly. I've since bought a $4.50 pair of little (normal) sunnies which she loves wearing  cool.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.