Gifted & Talented High School

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Georgie Boy

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:00 AM

As per request this is a thread for those with gifted & talented kids in high school. I will pin it for the time being to see how it goes.

Louise

#2 toosenuf

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:15 AM

Thankyou Louise

Well i will start, admittedly, DDs are not gifted.  I have been 'listening in, mostly' to the G&T primary thread for a couple years, there is such a wealth of info there, i am grateful for what i have learnt.

DD1 loves to be challanged at school, average to above average intellegance, she is in an G&T type class at school, she is yr 6 this year hence my interest in HS, in prep for the next years.

DD2, yr 5 High average IQ, she was to be in DD1's class this year, but have moved her to another school which is more suited her (performing arts). She doesnt thrive in the G&T type environment, and i think may have crumbled under the pressure.

Anyways, i would love to hear from any EBers who have G&T type teens, being that HS is so different from PS etc.

#3 mum850

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

Well I am not legit either. My son is 10 and in grade 6 this year, he is grade skipped one year. He has just moved to a new small private school that has quite a different model and he is doing subjects in more of a high school way if you see what I mean. He is doing year 7 and 8 maths which is great. It kind of feels like he's in high school because it's a new school, he's going on public transport etc.
He certainly seems to be enjoying school more and they are doing heaps of interesting things.

#4 toosenuf

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:10 PM

Mum850, i didnt realise your ds was in yr6, so now i can see why this thread might have been a good thing.  There was a boy in DD1 class last yrdoing the same level maths as your ds, it always blew DD1 mind away.

DD1 strength is maths too, last yr (yr5) she completed both yr5 & 6 maths a her own pace, still waiting to see waht this year holds for her in maths. Her school doesnt seem the keep the Gifted children, shame, not sure what the school is doing about it.  Not going to ask though as DD1 (and DD2) are returning to the public system for HS.  Her class is taught slightly in the HS way.  must go i have been on EB all day, have a basketball game to watch.

#5 lishermide

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:27 PM

I'm a bit of an imposter here too, but very interested. My oldest is in year 6 this year. She's also in an extension class, though if anything I'd say she's highly able, hard working and dedicated more so than gifted original.gif

DD#2 is the officially GT one, she's in Yr 4 this year. She's recently been doing Yr 6 maths in a pull-out extension group & loving it.

We're at a fantastic school doing IB curriculum, and they'll be staying there for High School.

#6 christine30

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

My DD 15 is attending the G & T high school in Perth WA. she is in year 11

http://www.perthmodernschool.det.wa.edu.au/

Fantastic school best thing I ever did for her was get her to sit the test to get in...

#7 CafeCat

Posted 07 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

My eldest accepted a place in an selective high school this year. He sat the test last year (Yr6) and gained entry. The move from primary school to high school has been seamless. He was an an academically gifted class in Yr6 and most of his class mates moved on to the same high school.

So far so good!

#8 DebB

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:50 AM

DD1 has a very high, gifted IQ and started high school this year. She enjoys literature, and creative arts. We chose her high school because we were looking for a Catholic school that would cater for both our religious beliefs and also give her some support for her special needs - she is a highly sensitive child who finds peer relationships challenging and needs to be encouraged to work to her ability rather than 'disappear' like a chameleon.

So far, academically the school is wonderful. She is enjoying being in one of two 'cluster' classes, based on G&T and highly able students. This arrangement lets her work at her level, she needs to work to keep up with the class, and she can also see her friends socially. She participates in the Davinci Decathlon - a great program if you can find one, based on group problem solving. The school has so many opportunities for her that one problem is making sure she doesn't exhaust herself. Socially, she still struggles as her friends are not in her academic class and do not understand her. I am hoping that over time she will make more friends in her class and through her extra - curricular activities.

#9 ampersand

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hi all, I'm thinking of unpinning this as it hasn't been posted in since June and the top of this board is very cluttered. Let me know if you're keen to keep it.

A

#10 toosenuf

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

It is possible to keep it for a while longer, DD1 is starting HS next year and DD2 the year after.

Would love to hear if others would like to keep it a while longer too original.gif

Since i first posted DD1 was accepted into an accelerated class for HS, they do thier HSC in 5yrs not 6, so i just may need this thread original.gif original.gif

#11 snowsnowflying

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:05 PM

DS is a current year 6 students as well and looking forward starting his high school next year - Glad to find this group here cool.gif

I wasn't quite sure if DS should be classified as G&T or not. I always feel it is a very high standard to be classified as G&T, so, I  have never thought of having him sit an IQ test before -  he will be whatever he is now, no matter what the score is.

I was a bit surprised to find out that there are so many kids here in EB having skipped one or two years to a higher level. Now I start thinking: Did DS miss out something?

In the recent selective test, DS was doing OK. He had a full mark in Maths and had an offer from the toppest selective school. He scored HD in English, Maths, Writing & Science in recent ICAS competitions. So, I am guessing maybe he could be classified as some kind of G&T, in some areas. However, he has never been suggested to skip a year by any of the school teachers.

Maybe this was because he is in a public system? DS is in an OC class currently, but overall, it seems there is not much big difference with a normal class, except there are more smarts kids in the class now.

Next year, DS will transfer to a private high school.  I have heard from some other friends that acceleration is not permitted in this school either. (So, obviously, it seems that public system wasn't the reason why DS was not accelerated. ) I know there are even more smart kids there, so, I hope DS will not feel bored there any more...
- Actually, that's why I felt a bit embarrassed today when I found out that there were so many kids here in EB actually have been accelerated. I was ignoring DS' complaining for all these years: Mum, I am so bored at school...

What I have been thinking is:  DS is not the toppest student in NSW, since other smarter kids are still in year 6, I didn't see any reason that DS should skip one year.  But maybe I have been thinking wrongly?

Edited by snowsnowflying, 23 November 2011 - 07:02 AM.

#12 ~ky~

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:36 AM

QUOTE (christine30 @ 07/03/2011, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My DD 15 is attending the G & T high school in Perth WA. she is in year 11

http://www.perthmodernschool.det.wa.edu.au/

Fantastic school best thing I ever did for her was get her to sit the test to get in...

My 10yo DD is in grade 6 this year and will be sitting the test in May. Her number one pick is Perth Modern with the second being Comet Bay. We're heading to the information evening at Perth Modern on this coming Tuesday night.

I really, really hope that she achieves a place there ...

Edited by ~ky~, 20 February 2012 - 03:36 AM.

#13 Michaelmichelle

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Have you ever wonder how long the iq test score will outlast for our children?
Will they ever score lower/higher as they grow older?

Does a child still have to sit for a gifted entrance test even with the assessment result?Or does it serve as a supporting document?

#14 ~ky~

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Michaelmichelle @ 17/04/2012, 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you ever wonder how long the iq test score will outlast for our children?
Will they ever score lower/higher as they grow older?

Does a child still have to sit for a gifted entrance test even with the assessment result?Or does it serve as a supporting document?

As far as I know, there are no "free passes" into the GATE program and all children have to sit the same exams on the same day at the same time - very few exceptions available. It is not entirely based on IQ either and previous testing is not taken into account at all.

Also, I have been told that there are many children who were identified as "gifted" in primary school and were a part of the primary school extension programs who will not qualify for a placement in the GATE program and there are many whom did not wualify in primary school who will breeze into the GATE program.

This has made me a little happier about my DD sitting the exams. She did not qualify for the primary school programs but has been identified by her teachers as being suited and having the academic ability to attain a place in the GATE program.

eta ... I have no clue as to my DD or DS' IQ scores nor do I wish to know. As far as I know, they are both very bright, they learn quickly and thoroughly and are happy children.

Edited by ~ky~, 26 April 2012 - 12:11 AM.

#15 ~ky~

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:11 AM

Woohoo!

DD has been offered a place at her second choice school in the GATE program.so, although she won't be going to Perth Modern, she will be attending Comet Bay College which is only a 10 minute drive for us rather than an hour of public transport each way.

She is over the top excited!

eexcite.gif

Edited by ~ky~, 17 August 2012 - 01:11 AM.

#16 LiveLife

Posted 20 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

congrats on your DD getting into Comet Bay.  It is such a hard decision to make with gifted kids in perth since the establishment of Perth Modern as purely select entry only.  From what I'm hearing the other GATE schools have shifted focus somewhat now their cohorts have changed.  I'd love to hear what you have learned about the difference between Comet Bay GATE and Perth Modern and any tips for best placement of children into either program.  It also seems that many of the smaller/mid range private schools have really upped the anti of establishing gifted programs--> have you looked into any of those and how did you decide on Comet v Mid range Private gifted program.  I've still got a few years up my sleeve until we sit the testing.

#17 ~ky~

Posted 21 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

It was purely a financial decision for us as there was no way we could afford private at the time of testing and leading up to it. Our circumstances have changed since and we may look at private for our son as he doesn't test well due to his aspergers but I would hazard a guess that he is even brighter than our DD.

We've decided to put a hold on the offer of placement in the hopes that she is offered a place at Perth Modern in the second round of offers. If she isn't, then she still has the place at Comet Bay should she wish.

The thing I was most concerned about at the Comet Bay info evening, was the students they chose to speak on behalf of the program. One had not prepared anything and gave a very garbled, arrogant, "off the cuff" speech. The other had won an oratory contest but had the worst spoken grammar I have heard in a long time! She "said" her speech, referred to those gathered as "youse" and "done" her maths. It didn't really fill me with confidence in the program there.

Mind you, I am of the opinion that a child can thrive in most school environments with good raw material and home support, if they have the motivation to do so.

#18 LiveLife

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:48 PM

ky thats seems to be the opinion I'm hearing about the other outer GATE programs (with all the birghtest kids pulled to Perth Modern they just arent that inspiring anymore and more a "drawcard" so the local public highschools dont lose all bright kids in their catchment area.).  I believe you can find out where you are on the Perth Modern second round list (with many not taking places as they chose to go to the gifted programs in private schools which are just as well equipped in some cases) I too would be hanging out for an offer there.  Have you listed her for offers at more reputable GATE programs? Has she sat exams for scholarship entry to the private schools? Just some other thoughts for you.  Have you had her IQ tested--> some private schools see that as very attractive for scholarship entry and we already have had grade skip/sub acc discussions with one private school 3 yrs ahead of entry based on >99% IQ.

Edited by LiveLife, 24 August 2012 - 08:50 PM.

#19 christine30

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

My now 17 year old is in her last year at Perth Modern...Year 12

Exams are coming and its a high stress time but the one thing I really love is the school and Every teacher is supporting each child to do there best.

Sadly I have seen many kids lost in the system and under achieve for lack of support  

I hope that where ever you sent you child she is happy and has support to achieve her dream original.gif

#20 ~ky~

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

We let Bella choose her schools for the GATE program. She chose Perth Modern as her first choice due to having searched for high schools in the area a few years ago and falling in love with it through it's website. She loves the uniforms, opportunities, the fact that it will require discipline and hard work so I am really hoping that her dream comes true and she is offered a place there. Comet Bay was her second choice as her best friend from primary school is going there whether he gets into the GATE program or not. He has yet to hear anything so it appears he didn't make it into the first round of offers. Comet Bay is also a short bus ride for her rather than over an hours travel time to Perth Modern, which I am sure she could cope with.

We have never had her IQ tested. I guess we should think about it as it could be an option to move her to a private school should she not be challenged enough at Comet Bay if that is where she ends up. I don't know how DS would go with IQ testing ... I guess there is only one way to find out!

We have been aware for years that Bella is a bright girl. Her preschool in NSW actually approached our primary school of choice asking whether they would take her for FYOS (Kinder) at 3, turning 4 as she was already reading, writing and had a great general knowledge and grasp of maths and scientific concepts. At the time, DH and I thought they were exaggerating the issue as she was our first child and we thought that little kids were just bright little sparks who absorbed everything that interested them and these things seemed to be what she wanted to learn about! Needless to say, she was unable to start until 4, turning 5 which was fine by me as I loved having her home with me. Also, DS, although non verbal until 2 ½ had already started showing some of the same "bright" traits so again, we just thought she was a pretty normal kid.

Her school results over the years have never been particularly outstanding - she has always been near the top of her grade, but there have always been kids working at about the same level so we thought nothing of it. She is a "not quite typical" 11yo girl as she has no interest in fashion/boys/pop music etc. She is more likely to be found discussing quantum physics with her friend, general trivia with her music teacher, reading or learning the period table of elements (she knows it all now, including which element comes where). She is also a lovely, kind, caring big sister who is protective and adoring of her little brother and sister and still likes to hang out with Mum and Dad. These last few things are what I value about her the most - she is a daughter to be proud of. And I am!

Anyway, summing up what I have tried to say in that lengthy diatribe ... No, we have no idea of her IQ and honestly think it may be above average but probably not spectacular. Thank you for informing us of the other options with regard to private school programs. I'll have to speak with DH next time he is home and see what he thinks about getting both of the older children tested.

How would we go about that, exactly? I have no clue ...

#21 LiveLife

Posted 29 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

head to GATCA WA for advice and attend a parent info evening and blatantly ask people about Comet Bay and other schools (people in those sorts of environments are happy to share, whereas locally people only ever say nice things)

#22 ~ky~

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

Thanks ... I'll check it out!

#23 ~ky~

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:13 AM

Second round of offers are out and she has missed out on a place at Perth Modern so she will be going to Comet Bay.

Rather than being disappointed that she didn't get into her first choice of school, she has been running around super excited! Her best friend is going to Comet Bay whether he makes it into the GATE program or not.

In a few weeks when we have some money again (DH has just gone back to work after a period stood down between contracts) we will look into testing for both of the kids through GATCA WA. It should be interesting ...

#24 shine

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Hi,

Poppng in for some advice. DD was clearly gifted from a young age and I ended up getting her tested at 2y11m. She had an IQ of 140 and an age of 4y7m, ACT government agreed to early entry and she started full time preschool at 3y7m. She has just finished Year 2 and we are moving to NSW where she will be in Year 3 and technically due to her June birthday is back with her correct year group. I've not been impressed with her last school that have let her coast for 3 years as she is well behaved and is in the top 30% of the class depsite her early entry. She shows classic gifted signs still, perfectionist and no tenacity to name a few, but with many girls it isnow less obvious as she is fitting in socially.

My question is around her new school. How do I get them to start addressing the tenacity and get her to start working to her true level, rather than coasting? I dont want to push her hard and have let her go the first years of school, but I think this is an opportunity to move things along a bit.

On a slightly different note, I cant wait to see what happens with DS who starts kindergarten this year as the eldest in the year. I reckon he is bright, not gifted, and has been acting a little less developed to get his sister to read for him original.gif

Thanks in advance

#25 shine

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Sorry realised I posted in High school... I have moved to the other thread.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.