Exclusive or Partial Expressing thread ~#2
For mums of babies that are unable to breastfeed

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sunshinedays

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:17 AM

i'm trying to prepare myself for the possibility of exclusively pumping once bubs is born (due June, cleft lip, unsure of palate...). I have to say that reading everyone's stories in here has made it seem a less daunting task.

I BF DS1 until he was 2 months shy of 3, so you could say breastfeeding (or at least the provision of breastmilk) is important to me.

I am still scared tho as when DS was about 3 or 4 weeks old I had to express one side for two weeks, and I got almost nothing sad.gif SO while i had good supply I just didn't seem to be able to pump (and that was with a hospital pump).

I would really appreciate hearing people's routines for pumping - how long each session took, how many sessions a day, for both the early days and once bub is a bit older. At the moment I'm nervous about being about being able to pump while looking after a newborn and a 3 yo.

#2 lucky 2

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:47 PM

Hi all,

I am starting a new thread, the link to the old thread is here, I hope you will find the emotional and practical advice you need to make the best out of your challenging situation!

All the best,

luckytwo, Moderator of the Breastfeeding forum

#3 lucky 2

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:35 PM

This is a quick response and doesn't cover all of your questions.
Have you looked at any resources rt bfing and cleft lips?, it can be done for some bubs, I haven't much experience but I see and hear about it a bit. Try and find a LC who has experience with this, perhaps check out the pinned section in the bfing forum about Resources/finding a LC.
If you will be expressing a lot I reckon you'd be best to arrange for the hire of a Hospital grade electric pump in the beginning (once milk is in) and once supply is established then getting a double electric pump, quicker to use. Is there a LC available at the hosp where bub is born?
My sister exclusively expressed for 7 months with a double pump, she has an excellent supply! I double pumped partially for an older baby for 15 months, not as intensive as exclusively for a young baby though! A smaller pump which attaches to a belt is a medela Freestyle pump (double) and it retails $500+, you can also get and extra "hands-free" bra attachment which means you can double express with both hands free. It sounds like a good look! lol.
I hope you get some more replies.

#4 CharliMarley

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:18 PM

If you don't want to spend all that money on a pump, the ABA hire out pumps and they have all the latest ones.

#5 sunshinedays

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:44 PM

bumping this back up original.gif

thanks luckytwo. Bub does have a cleft palate as well as lip so definitely preparing to express as breastfeeding very highly unlikely. I am meeting with the hospital LC next week, and my midwife is also an ABA breast pump hire coordinator which is very helpful!

would love to hear from those who were able to express exclusively how they did it - ie how often they pumped at the beginning, when they were able to pump less and still maintain supply.

I am happy to report i have begun to express ante-natally and am doing alright!

#6 sunshinedays

Posted 25 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

*bump*

my baby is now 8 days old. For some damn reason we did not prepare properly in terms of having enough bottles (well, we didn't know what sort she would be able to use due to her cleft).

Right now I want to go to bed not wash bottles and pump bits. How many of each thing (bottle, pump bits etc) did you have?

How much did you store?

My supply is good.... i am getting around 200 ml a session sometimes more, yesterday I got around 1.4L. Baby is taking less than 500ml a day. I'm overrun with milk! My boobs are engorged most of the time. I'm only pumping five times a day at the moment, for 10 minutes a side (less if the bottle fills up first). I'm scared to pump less due to engorgement, reducing my supply too much but it is crazy!

Sorry, late night ramblings (well, it's late if you have a newborn!) from someone who is just over it right now. I am seeing an ABA counsellor/friend tomorrow who hopefully sort me out a bit.

but any advice, anecdotes etc would be welcome.

#7 lucky 2

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:20 PM

Hi sunshinedays, Congratulations on the birth of your baby original.gif.
Good luck with your meeting tomorrow, I'm sure you'll get your supply sorted out in time and a good routine for expressing, its just a bit early for that at 8 days.
Check with your friend tomorrow but I'm not so sure that restricting the volumes you express is ideal at this time, ie when the milk has come in and establishing, you will probably make more milk this time round (sounds like it, 2nd preg).
? express one breast as much as possible and the other enough for comfort and then next expression swap breasts and express the other one fully, if you are careful and keep an eye out for signs of blocked ducts/mastitis you may be able to keep a bit of a lid on production.
Overall, having a supply that is over what bub needs is more ideal (for successful long term expressing) than accidentally going into undersupply (seems unlikely at the moment I can imagine).
I suppose I am more used to women expressing both breasts fully 6 or > times each 24 hours and the breasts recovering from initial engorgement. If you did this I know you will maintain an oversupply for the short term anyway.
I'd love to know what your friend thinks, she will be the best to advise you as she can see what is happening.
According to the ABA they recommend after each expression session to rinse the pump parts and store in a closed container in the fridge till next session or just put straight in to the container and fridge, but cleaning "well" once each 24 hours.
That sounds much easier than cleaning well after each expression!
I'd be cleaning the bottles and teats though after each feed.
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/pumpsug.html
I'm not the one for answers on how you manage it all but I wanted to wish you all the best.

#8 Littleboysblue

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:37 AM

congrats sunshinedays, sounds like bub is going to getting plenty, and so will your freezer.

im just going down this path atm- DS is 4months old abd since the start every feed has been a battle sad.gif attatchment issues, breast refusal and no weight gain are just a few of our issues. So i have decided to express for days and bf overnight

i have a hired electric pump atm but have a medla swing coming- can i buy a second atatchment to make a double?

It seems as though my supply is fairly low as it is so im hoping to increase this. yesterday i expressed around 500mls and ds only drank about 400mls of this plus 2 feeds overnight? is this enough for a 4 month old who is only 6kgs? he just wouldnt take any more.
im taking fenugreek and pumping every 2.5-3hrs.

gah! i fed ds1 until 16months, so this a bit daunting and stressful for me- mother guilt is a b**ch!

i only have 2 bottles, and just wash them when its done- i dont stealise after each use- just hot soapy water wash then one a week i pop them through the dishwashr.

#9 lucky 2

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

i have a hired electric pump atm but have a medla swing coming- can i buy a second atatchment to make a double?

It seems as though my supply is fairly low as it is so im hoping to increase this. yesterday i expressed around 500mls and ds only drank about 400mls of this plus 2 feeds overnight? is this enough for a 4 month old who is only 6kgs? he just wouldnt take any more.
im taking fenugreek and pumping every 2.5-3hrs.

Hi, I don't think you can double pump with a Swing.
In regards to volume of intake and is it enough?, perhaps keep monitoring for pale wee, poo, growth and general behaviour (settling after most feeds) and growing out of clothes.
Good luck with your feeding issues Littleboysblue, I've known bubs to refuse to feed and go back at 6 months of age! Fickle little people original.gif.

#10 sunshinedays

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hi littleboysblue - i am pretty sure luckytwo is right, you can't double pump with the swing. i was told that the average consumption for a baby 1-6 months of age is 750 to 800 ml a day... hard to know how much your litle one is having given you are breastfeeding as well! I would go with what luckytwo said re monitoring nappies etc.

gah! i fed ds1 until 16months, so this a bit daunting and stressful for me- mother guilt is a b**ch!

i know! i am always having attacks of the guilts sad.gif it is hard! especially after one successful breastfeeding relationship.

i don't know how you are surviving with only two bottles! ihave heaps now, and we still run out. I don't think i could handle washing after each feed. but then, there wouldn't be much to wash. How do you dry them? I find they take aaages to drip dry??

*chicka* i am hoping you will pop in here to keep this thread going original.gif

how are  you coping expressing 7 times a day? I have already dropped down to 6. I hope it doesn't stuff with my supply... but i just couldn't handle doing any more than that. even now i struggle.

Brings me to a question: when does everyone express?

I am currently aiming for 2am, 6am, 9am, 2pm, 7pm, 10pm. But bubs has slept thru midnight to five a few times (lucky me!!) so i've been missing out on the 2am. I like the big gap during the day as it makes me feel like i still have a life. My DH is going back to work tomorrow and I am struggling to work out how i will fit in everything as well as give my 3yo some attention! tips gratefully received!

ok... speaking of fitting everything in, i should go and be productive.

#11 sunshinedays

Posted 06 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

*bump*

still going at 11 weeks.  some days good, some days a lot harder. getting better at pumping in front of others, at mothers gp and at aba. finding it hard to carry everythung i need lol  & so far i've only been away from home for one session at a time.   would like tips on this... and also on dealing with milk now its warming up, was so much easier when i could just keep it at room temp.

any one else want to share their story? tips? vents?

#12 eskimoo

Posted 06 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hi Sunshine

Just wanted to say congrats on expressing original.gif
I have been expressing for my 5month old DD since birth as she was/is very weak. I was planning on stopping expressing shortly as I have enough in the freezer to last at least a month but we found out 2 weeks ago that she has a milk protein allergy and HATES the elecare formula so now I might have to amp up production again...
With regards to pumping on the run, I got a little square bottle bag that has its own ice pack with my medela pump.  It fits 4 bottles and keeps the bottles cool all day (also great for travelling and feeding when out).

Keep up the good work! biggrin.gif

#13 spring_rain

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

Well done on the expressing everyone!

I saw this thread and wished it was around during DD's first weeks. I expressed exclusively for DD till she was 1, and spent the early days muddling through with help from a lovely MCHN,  our GP,  and lots of support from DH, and my parents. Well done to the PP who has been out and about expressing: I expressed a few times when out during the first few months.

I also used a Medela pump, which came with the little square bag to cool milk. DH bought a little esky which we used too when we were going to be out for a while, it stored more than the square bag, and was great for taking feeds with us and storing newly expressed milk.

Keep up the good work!

#14 little lion

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'm a month into my expressing journey. It'd be great to chat to fellow 'pumpers'. original.gif

#15 -river-

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi everyone!

I am exclusively expressing for my newborn and still attempting to brèastfeed but I don't think it's going to happen. Anyway thought I'd join in.

I also exclusively expressed for my DS1 for 16 months and my DS2 for 15 months. This is our last baby so It's going to strange when I am finished with pumping.

#16 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

I am doing exclusive pumping in hope to increase my supply.  Doing it 8 times 20-30 mins a day. Am taking motilium and fenugreek intermittently. Did power pumping at least once last few days. Bubs is not very good at building my supply due to giving of bottle since day 4 after being fed via NG (sp) tubing in special care nursery due to hypoglycaemia.

I also latch bub on and use the SNS in hope of increasing my supply besides pumping round the clock.

Anyone with more advice on how to increase supply?

#17 little lion

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:20 PM

Wow river that's a big achievement! How long does it take you per session? I find it takes me around 30 minutes, which adds up! Do your breasts become more efficient at pumping as time goes by? What brand of pump do you use? I have the avent single electric but have been contemplating hiring a better one, any advice?

Mum2Two my midwife said taking fenugreek is a bit of a commitment, as it takes up to a month to work, and I believe you need to wean yourself off it (not go cold turkey) when you wish to stop it. Other than that, how's your diet? I find it a bit of a struggle to eat heartily and healthily at times, but I push myself so my milk production is at its best.

#18 Mum2TwoDSs

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Little lion, I was on fenugreek since day one of giving birth to DS2. Yes it takes commitment to stick to it. I do forget to take some days. Am on motilium too. I am struggling to sit down and eat a proper meal. And my liquid intake wasn't so good until last week where I forced myself to drink more water. Make a point to put a huge water tumbler and mug next to me.

I am using the medela pump in style advanced...great motor...great suction and double pump..but it's only last week I started using double, before that I used the single function which is time consuming but give me one hand free. I have since used my cotton nursing bra to help hold the breast shields in place, it works, so I still have one hand free to be typing this! It's o boring sitting at the pump for up to half an hour.  biggrin.gif I have got restless legs!

I reckon it is better to use a double pump.

Cluckybeez, I haven't tried expressing on the plane but I did hand expressing in the toilet of he gp's clinic few days ago while waiting a long time for my 7yo to see the dr. Never knew I would resort to that cos I had no pump with me and it was way past pumping time...had to remove as much milk as possible to keep the supply coming...haha I was worried until it suddenly dawned upon me that I could hand express to remove the milk! My 7yo was wondering why I had spent such long time in the toilet.

Edited by Mum2TwoDSs, 20 November 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#19 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

I'm also a full time expresser for my 2 wk old. I have borrowed a Medela Lactina Select from my local maternity unit to use. I can have it as long as I want. I currently express every 3 hours and am currently trying to build up my supply with herbs and Motilium. I have noticed an increase already.

DS has 2 bottles of formula overnight until my supply can meet his demand.

I was devastated when I failed at bf (due to DS not being unable to latch properly, and for my mental health) but am a lot happier now that I am expressing.

#20 lucky 2

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:42 AM

Bumped, there may be members who have currently found themselves in this situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Why I don't breastfeed

The truth was, when it came to feeding my baby son, I didn't want to see milk coming from anywhere but the shops.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.