70 replies to this topic

#1 catalyst

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

New thread time ladies

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=869091

#2 KylieB

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:57 PM

Oh yea, oh yeah!
Been a long time since I've nabbed, gold, bride, Nummer eins! jawohl!
Good thing about a time difference, hey?

Thanks catalyst wink.gif

#3 *Caro*

Posted 25 February 2011 - 07:18 AM

Silver!

well done Kylie  wink.gif

God, I'm going to be so late getting these kids to school.  Well, getting one kid to school and then turning around and bringing the other kids home  rolleyes.gif

#4 SportySpice

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:57 AM

af is showing up
no more ttc
blessed with the gabster
flat atm
dh is being a dh as well with a completely unjustified outburst at me yesterday being mean and nasty.  he suffers from short man complex yet this is not an excuse for what he said to me yesterday

going to retreat for awhile

love to all

#5 Tombi

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:16 PM

Aw SS, I'm so sorry sad.gif  You sound so sad and defeated.  I hope you get a good night's sleep and feel a little more positive in the morning. A big hug from way over here mate. xxx

#6 pixiefish

Posted 26 February 2011 - 08:54 AM

Hey SS sad.gif so sorry to hear you feel like that. What a hard decision to make after such a long journey ... I hope you are feeling better today - thinking of you xx

#7 dippinsniffer

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:44 AM

Hello original.gif .

SS, I hope the decision to stop actively TTC gets a bit easier for you the coming days/weeks. And I'm sorry to hear dh is not being all he should be right now ...
Preferred websites, sounds good original.gif . We got a list of them last year which I eventually threw away, but not one this year so DD has just been playing 'dress-up' and 'colouring in' games on Nick Jnr during her computer time original.gif .

Kylie/Caro, DD's teacher this year is a bit 'old school' too and more weary then her young teacher from last year. But DD has not had a problem with her and neither have I which is good.
Caro, hmm, yes, I too (even with my strict schooling background which is much, much stricter than anything in Oz) believe that ideally, learning should be fun/playful in these early years. If it were me, I'd make sure learning was fun and un-pressured at this age at home so they like it enough to get their home-work done and learn (as I'm sure you do) and just keep an eye on things this term, see what Emmeline says about her days and mention any concerns at parent-teacher interviews.
Lots of after-school things at your school last week? Just 'starting back at school' stuff or other things? We've just had two the past month, so I was wondering how you guys get so many. One was the teacher/parents meeting and the other was a 'Movie night' which we left 15mins into the movie 'Bedtime Stories' as DD did not think it was a "kids movie" and got scared in parts. Nothing new there with dd, hey original.gif .

Kylie, yes, absolutely, you guys deserve all the holidays you'll can get as it has been years coming original.gif .

Edited by dippinsniffer, 05 April 2011 - 11:20 AM.

#8 Snagglepussed

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:00 AM

no more ttc
Oh SS....... hugs to you! When I first read I thought to myself "Wow, she was so cool and collected with that decision - kudos to her" and then I read the rest of your post! sad.gif
There is nothing worse than DHs who say things to hurt us!
If you need a chat just holler.....I have been living some crappola this last month or so and often a tad of empathy and bouncing asshat DHs off each other can be cathartic......
Stay strong and try to find that happy place again! So easy to say....so hard to do! sad.gif Thinking of you!

Dip - naughty girl! I have been ok! It's the alcohol that does me in but I "devil on my shoulder" just won't budge on that one! LOL Gawd I sound like an alco!

Have heaps of expenses at the moment and it really isn't helping the family dynamic! Down in the dumps in the $$$$ stakes....

Bec has gone up another level in swimming (that's 2 jumps this term already) and is now having a class at 8am on a Mon morning! Makes for bright and early rising! UgH! But we did it well and she was in her element! For someone who is so clumsy and unco in normal day to day things.....when it comes to swimming and skipping rope and dancing (jazz) she can get it on with the best of them! Weird! I am beginning to think that she really needed OT as a youngster! Prolly too late now but I am going to try and get out with her playing ball and what not! Hopefully netball will sort her out some!

Cheers for now! NO study done on the weekend and now I am WAAAAYYYYYY behind and it's only week 2!!!!!!!

Edited by Girolama, 28 February 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#9 SportySpice

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:48 AM

Morning

well after an apology from DH on Sat morning, it didn't seem to take him long to get back to being a complete and utter a*se and truly self absorbed.......

Dip (and everyone else!) "useful websites" from G's school:

www.starfall.com
www.eduplace.com/kids/
www.pbskids.org/lions/games
www.adrianbruce.com/reading/games
www.teacher.scholastic.com/clifford1

www.mathletics.com

Dip - with mathletics the kids have a username and p/word - which the school sets up for them.  Enjoy!

thanks girls for the love and support - one day at a time and i'll be fine! xx

#10 dippinsniffer

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:29 PM

Nev! Hi there original.gif .

SS, thanks original.gif .

Edited by dippinsniffer, 05 April 2011 - 11:21 AM.

#11 dippinsniffer

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:57 AM

#12 Snagglepussed

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:56 AM

And your BP will go through the roof! LOL You naughty thing you!
I remember eating liquorice when I was pregnant and I had woefully low BP all through pregnancies!

I was going to get up to go to the gym this morning but these last two nights I have been studying Statistics til 11.30pm and I was washed out and could not physically get out of bed....UGH!
Just as well as I had to treat Alessia's hair for bloody NITS again! ARRGGHHH! Someone at school has a parent who DOES NOT TREAT! My kids have had them on and off for about 3 months now! So frustrating!

#13 dippinsniffer

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

And one small piece of choc brownie already today as DH's rels came from England via a stop over in Melb for 4 days and for lunch, a croissant with ham and cheese. Will starve rest of day.

#14 *Caro*

Posted 02 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

I was thinking I might spend 2 days browsing shops  . Sound good, ya  ?
Sounds bloody excellent, Dip, you lucky biatch!

Am the only one drowning in school paperwork at the moment?! Every time I turn around, there seems to be a note about this, a form about that, excursion money for this kid, permission slip for that kid! wacko.gif  I think Hugo is lucky that I feel pregnant with him before Emmy started school - if I had spaced my kids out more and knew about the workload that comes with school aged kids, I may never have gone back for #4!! Tounge1.gif  

Kylie, thanks for your thoughts on Emmy's teacher.  I have hardly seen her (the teacher) all week, but Em seems happier and is talking about things at school with much enthusiasm, so it can't be all bad.  I did have a word to the teacher last week about the reader being too hard (it was a comic stri[p and all the text was in capitals, so it was just a bit confusing for her).  The notes Em is bringing home all sound good to me - the right tone of encouragement, expectation and fun, so I'll sit back and see how things pan out for a bit.

SS, I'm so sorry that the TTC is off the boil sad.gif  I misread your post initially and thought it was just for the month.  I hope you and DH can work through this together and that SG gives you lots of good cuddles to help you through the rough patch.  You gave it everything you could and you should be proud of the effort you put it in. I'm so sorry you didn't get the result you were after hhugs.gif

The exercise-more-and-eat-less-crap health kick here has been going really well.  Have hardly eaten choc at all and have been doing lots of walk-runs with the pram.  I can't run properly yet, but walking is too slow sometimes, so I do a combo of both.  It must be working - my face is bright red for about an hour afterwards!!  biggrin.gif   It was all going well till I was at the supermarket today and feeling exhausted from lack of sleep, and Cadbury's was on sale... So I am now hoeing into a block.  Woooops.   rolleyes.gif

Nic and Tombi, if you guys are around, I would love to hear how things are going with your little guys.  Hugo is still a 'little' baby.  He weighs nearly 8kg, so about middle of the range weight wise, but he isn't crawling, he has very little interest in solids (except if you give him a piece of steak to suck! wink.gif ) and he still wakes 3 times a night for a feed.  So in that regard, he seems young, IYKWIM.  He is babbling now and blowing raspberries, and loves to play peek-a-boo type games with the big kids.  Angus is still besotted with him, and calls him "My Hugo" which is lovely.  Hugo has the most adorable smile and when he sees something funny, his whole face breaks open and his eyes light up.  He mostly saves these smiles for his siblings!  

That's better, I wrote all the good things about him, rather than the fact that he will only go to sleep after I have fed him for an hour, on my bed in the dark.  I didn't focus on the fact that he wakes 3 times a night and takes up to an hour to get to sleep. I didn't worry about the fact that I've had to completely abandon getting him to sleep at home during the day because he.just.won't.  And I won't tell you that the sleep deprivation is slowly driving me mad.  No no, coz he is cute and that is all that matters.

#15 manhattan

Posted 02 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

Kim, that sucks about the nits. One of J's favorite friends got sent home with them 2 weeks ago and I was sooo afraid I was going to find them in his hair as well but touch wood, we've never had them here. One of the good bits about having all boys, I guess. I was interested in seeing you have swimming at 8AM as I've been thinking we should look into classes before school as we can't seem to make it happen after. Are they just for half an hour and then you head to school? That must be a nice way to start the day once you get used to getting out the door a little earlier. I always much preferred morning exercise myself.

Caro,
I think Hugo is lucky that I feel pregnant with him before Emmy started school - if I had spaced my kids out more and knew about the workload that comes with school aged kids, I may never have gone back for #4!!
I am equally shocked by how much goes into parenting a schoolkid. I feel like people always talk about life getting easier when the children grow up a bit and start school, but I honestly never sit these days and no sooner walk in the door than it's time to head out again. wacko.gif

As for my baby, he has been dragging himself all over the house for a couple months now but only properly crawls on all-fours when it strikes his fancy. He pulls to a stand everywhere and after a week of crashing left, right and center, he is pretty adept at it now and only falls when he gets knocked over (which is, unfortunately, often sad.gif ). He can cruise a little bit. Physically, he is not as advanced as P was but more than J or L were at this age. He doesn't eat as such. After my last 2 not wanting solids until they were toddlers, I haven't really made much effort to feed him and just sort of throw raw vegetables and chunks of bread and slices of fruit his way when I think of it. I believe this is officially called Baby-Led Solids but truth be told, in my case it's Motherly Laziness. biggrin.gif He has no nap schedule whatsoever during the day and just randomly snoozes when and as we manage to fit it in. I usually BF him to sleep around 7PM and then we play this little game where he wakes every half hour or so and I nurse him back to sleep in front of the TV and then eventually give up trying to transfer him back to his portacot and just cuddle him until DH and I go to bed, at which point he conks out right smack in between us and happily sleeps for however many hours. I think I usually feed him again around 3 or something like that, and then he usually starts snacking around 5 and keeps going on and off until he eventually decides he's keen to start the day. As this is usually just after 6, I then punch DH in the shoulder to wake him and he takes M downstairs so I can sleep until 7. So, in some ways, he is very much a baby, and in others, he seems fairly grown-up. I will say he doesn't think he's a baby and just wants to be wherever the big kids are doing whatever they're doing. He knows how to bang hammer toys, and flip through books, and knock down towers and stuff like that, which all seems very advanced, but as soon as he gets tired and hungry he crawls around the house calling "mummummum..." wub.gif Ah, I could have babies forever...

Toilet stuff: Since we were just discussing this, I thought I'd share that J has suddenly started doing this annoying thing where he'll do a poo and then just jump off and flush without wiping, and then when you call him on it, he says that he actually didn't do a poo but rather just tried and tried and nothing came out.  blink.gif He really sends me spare sometimes. And I went to the shops with L this morning and didn't take him to the toilet while we were there and he unexpectedly fell asleep in the pram an hour and a half earlier than he usually naps...and peed ALL over himself. I was actually paying for something at the supermarket when he woke fussing and I suddenly spied an enormous yellow puddle under the pram.  rolleyes.gif

'night, all. waves.gif

#16 dippinsniffer

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:36 AM

Hi there original.gif ,
Love seeing two long posts from you guys, obviously when I asked about all these babies about 2 months ago it was the wrong time as I think only Caro answered and I've been longing to hear more original.gif so I'm glad you asked again Caro as coincidentally just yesterday I was thinking about how much I wanted to hear how these babies are going but hadn't asked as I was sure no one would answer smile1.gif  .

Caro, yes, you getting only 5-6hrs sleep every night would suck big time. It WILL improve yyes.gif .

No, not much paper-work here actually, I got a note about 'Clean up Australia Day' just yesterday asking to bring a bag and gloves and that's it for this week. But the newsletter is online so that helps. Not that I've even logged in to see it, not cause I'm busy (cause obviously I'm not) but because I forget.

Nic, this was almost exactly what we did when ds was a toddler, till he was almost 4 actually (except he wasn't bf till 4 and didn't sleep for "hours"): "I usually BF him to sleep around 7PM and then ... he wakes every half hour or so and I nurse him back to sleep in front of the TV and then eventually give up trying to transfer him back to his portacot and just cuddle him until DH and I go to bed, at which point he conks out right smack in between us and happily sleeps for however many hours"
Nic, what I was wondering yesterday, do you feed L too?

Edited by dippinsniffer, 05 April 2011 - 11:23 AM.

#17 manhattan

Posted 03 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

Wed - Fri when both kids are in school and I have more than 5hrs before pick-up to do whatever.

See, I only have 3.5 hours between school runs, so it goes fast by the time I cram in a couple things. And yes, I'm still feeding L -- before nap and bedtime. He occasionally asks at other times but I tend not to oblige unless it's really convenient for me.

Edited by manhattan, 03 March 2011 - 07:48 AM.

#18 SportySpice

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:27 AM

Morning

reading along about our school kids - and the littlies as well  wink.gif

we've had a bit of a struggle with sgee's behaviour about 4 weeks ago and since i have revoked her sleep over with her 2 best buddies she's behaved better and has been "rewarded" accordingly.  This has also taken into account her routine of "home reader', spelling and flute prac as well as ballet and LTS which has improved 100%!

I have found - and I know I just have the one to contend with - after school

activity
then she may be straight into the shower while I start dinner
while i'm still doing dinner she will sit at the dining table and do her home writing words and spelling words.  She'll then do her "home reader' to herself asking me any words she doesn't know.
dinner bath blah blah routine
we'll then sit together and she will read her book to me, she has a bit of tv time, then off to bed with another book from me

in the a.m.
she will do a bit of flute prac and go over her spelling words
while i drive her up to school she does her spelling in the car to me or reads her book again to me.

I've just found the whole car thing now a great way to revise all sorts of things, no matter where we go i keep a list of her spelling words - which I try and learn off by heart too! - and just ask her about it and I also ask her about what her book was about as well - get the comprehensive skills going too! wink.gif

on the w'ends we'll usually go to her websites and have a go at some of the activities.

that's generally how we manage it but of course some days are just a nightmare! wink.gif  ohmy.gif

better get back to work - very busy with 26 march looming! happy.gif

#19 Snagglepussed

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

That must be a nice way to start the day once you get used to getting out the door a little earlier.

Oh yes NIc very noice - especially when she has a buff brazilian swimming instructor called Carlos! LOL Who (I might add) I get to perve on again in teh afternoon when I take A back for her class as he is still there slogging away at it (poor thing) Ha! wwhistle.gif

I find life pretty busy with 2 school kids but I think it is the drop off/pick up conundrum that takes away from the day! It breaks it into three separate times whereas when they were babies the days were long and one stretch.....albeit busy in a different way!

Not many notes here - got the Clean up one too and now (DANG) I have to go and buy gloves for them as we don't have any! Ugh!
Newsletter is via email and that's about it really!

Want to do something nice with hubby and need suggestions for a nice FUN night out! Went to The Basement the other week but it just isn't doing it for us anymore! Overkill maybe....
I was thinking The Retro for a dance as it's been YEARS since I went out dancing and with JLo's new song out I want to boogie! LOL.... Peter Pan syndrome maybe!
So seriuosly......we need to reconnect and we need FUN so give us your advice ladies!
I'd love to take him to Mardi Gras but I think we've missed the boat with that one........too hard to organise the kids for an allnighter as you have to stay out late for that one!
So this weekend is off (also because hubby is out Fri night for a farewell for one of the guys at his work)....

Dip - you are such a sweet tooth! Stop it woman! And as for your tactless mate ----- ouch! That bites.....
See I can pretty much do without the sweets and chocolate etc.....but I love nuts and cheese and crackers and what not .... sigh!

At work and should get to it! I am wearing a dress today for the first time in ages (usually wear jeans) and I am waiting for the JOb Interview questions! Ha! My Boss just said "Nice haircut" - which I had two weeks ago so the dress has done something! LOL

Byeeeeeeee

#20 SportySpice

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:37 AM

Kim - i love luna park ... nothing like the slides and dodgem cars and there is a bar/restuarant thingy there now.... few "ferals" here and there but go at say 6pm-ish followed by dinner say at Aqua at 9pm! wink.gif

And I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvve Retro!  Another bar/pub is the Argyle down at the Rocks - huge and great for people watching while sitting back on the comfy lounges and always nice to have a stroll by the water... and there is Quay for dinner!

#21 pixiefish

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

"I then punch DH in the shoulder to wake him and he takes M downstairs so I can sleep until 7."

Nic, so aggressive wink.gif I love it lol

Yay for lots of posts -

update from peanut bedwetting - we did not put nappies back on and we continue to take him to toilet at midnight and DH gets up early - around 6am - so takes him then and so far it has worked. I did mention the issue to my GP and she absolutely dismissed the idea there were be any issues other than just getting used to it, and assured me it will happen 'when it happens' which I suspected anyway. She also didn't think he was that 'late' with the bed wetting at night either.... so for now, we just help him out. Pinky is cruising and no further wetting issues too.

I detest mornings in this house to be honest - even though I pack lunches the night before and even set up breakfast ready to go when they get down there AND lay out uniforms - we still manage to be rushed and irritable sad.gif not a nice way to start the day at all. I can't think of any other thing to do to help the process, other than getting them to SLEEP IN THEIR UNIFORMS or something! I am also getting to bed early and they are all up at around 7am anyway.... maybe we should sleep at the school or something  rolleyes.gif

I also find as the kids get older that life is so much busier! I have set up pin boards in their rooms with their school schedules so they remember the following (all different days mind you just to keep everyone on their toes)

library
computer
crunch n sip
clean up day
news day
sports day
fitness day
assembly day
party invitations
parent reading

DIP - does your DD do the same things during school?)

This does not even count the after school and weekend activities which are:

Monday - Kung Fu x 3
Tuesday - Swimming lessons x 3
Wednesday - Peanut AFL Training
Thursday - Pinky dancing and boys tennis lessons
Friday morning - Spanish berfore school but after school FREEEEEEEE pizza and tv night where no one really talks to each other at all LOL
Saturday:  Peanut AFL game morning, Dash tennis matches afternoon

And Dash has requested that he start some Maths tutoring after school as he wants to be better at it and get closer to the top of the class - spare day anyone?? All this activity and THEN fitting homework, reading and projects in, oh and spanish homework ... whilst carrying another bump around  laugh.gif someone drug me! Can't wait for this baby to come out so I can just think about babies again and DH can deal with the rest - for a little while anyway wink.gif babies are so much more eeeeeeasier  original.gif

I shudder to think trying to juggle 3 of them next year with alternate days for everything ohmy.gif  I am thanking the 4 year age gap between no 3 and 4 now reading this, just for pure sanity LOL

I now have to go grocery shopping - considering doing it online again now that I only have 8 weeks to go - yes you read right!

CS scheduled for 9th May  bbaby.gif

#22 *Caro*

Posted 03 March 2011 - 04:43 PM

Gawd Pix I thought I was tired, and then I read your post ! laughing2.gif

#23 dippinsniffer

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Nic, yeah, it certainly takes alot out of a day if the journey takes up precious time.

SS, yeah, similar here on almost all our after-school days: home, 30mins tv or comp with fruit, book by me, play, dinner, play, bed. The only different one being Thursday when she goes for her swimming lesson 3:30-4 and then the above.
And yes, the car is a great place to chat about school-work and life in general ... if I can tear my ears away from riveting discussions on the radio original.gif .

Pix, sounds like the plan is going well with Peanut. Good luck!

Edited by dippinsniffer, 05 April 2011 - 11:25 AM.

#24 SportySpice

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:52 AM

Dip - yes I think we must have something before Pix has #4!

I'm still leaning towards a Sunday arvo in the park so everyone can come along.... KIM.....!!!

boss here gotta go!

bbl

#25 Snagglepussed

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

sh*te - 8 weeks???? That will fly!

Speaking of library book we forgot that today!

I got to school this morning and then realised that there was a local HS open day on so I took Bec with me to have a look along with another Mum and her daughter (Bec's friend).....it is not a school I was really looking at although local and the ONLY one that offers italian but after going I have to say I am more impressed!

Have only studied a little bit today as I was at the open day and now I have to chuff off to a mole check appointment! Then school pick, take Bec to get her netball uniform, buy a present and then get her to a party at 5pm..... hubby is out tonight so then I'll pick her up at 7 and then come home to have a girly night! Hoping to get the kids in bed relatively early though so I can study some more and catch up on Rafters and Glee that I have recorded! LOL

Keep the ideas rolling in girls for date night for Kimmy!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Special nappies made with love for angel babies

Angel Baby Nappies make and provide tiny bereavement cloth nappies for pre-term stillborn babies and premature babies who pass away in the NICU.

Inside the brain of a tantruming toddler

What's going on in your child's mind in the lead-up to a tantrum? And what?s the best way to respond?

5 secrets to a long-lasting relationship

When it comes to keeping your relationship strong, it?s what you do - and not what you want - that really matters.

When 'furbabies' meet real babies

I am obsessed with my dogs, and can't imagine loving them any less once my baby arrives. But that doesn't stop everyone from telling me I will.

The least popular baby names of 2013

Looking for a baby name that?s nowhere near the top 10 ? or even the top 1000? Try the bottom five.

'I was so sleep deprived I crashed my car'

There are no laws regulating driving while tired, but statistics show that driver fatigue is one of the top three contributors to the road toll.

Why are there so few sexy maternity bras?

Rather than feeling ashamed of their post-baby bodies, women should be free to buy lingerie that makes them look attractive and pretty - no matter what stage of life they're in.

Toddler Alliyah one step closer to first trip home

She has lived the first 14 months of her life in a hospital intensive care unit, but Alliyah Broadby's parents hope to finally take their little girl home with them.

'Put people before IVF profits': IVF pioneer Alan Trounson

IVF could be done for hundreds of dollars in Australia instead of $8500 if clinics stopped charging what ''the market will handle'', a pioneer of the technology says.

Expectant parents urged to swap the pub for bub

Nearly one in five women drink while pregnant, but a current campaign is trying to drive down that unhealthy statistic.

Nutella supplies threatened by bad weather

There's bad news for fans of Nutella, the gooey, chocolatey hazelnut spread.

The cost of growing your own vegies

Does it make financial sense to grow your own veggies, or are you better off ordering produce from the local food co-op?

Breastfeeding mums less likely to suffer from PND, but all need support

A new study has shown the a complex relationship between a mother?s intention to breastfeed, her ability to do so, and postnatal depression.

The #loveyourlines Instagram account taking on body issues

A new Instagram account, LoveYourLines, has put the call out for to change the way we view stretch marks.

Mum gets diploma 51 years after being thrown out of school over pregnancy

Sandra Lantz was about six months pregnant and four months from graduation when she was forced to leave high school. Now, more than half a century later, she has finally graduated.

The lowdown on male midwives

How would you feel about having a male midwife assist your baby's birth? For a growing number of mums, the idea is a reality - and the experts all agree that it's something that should be encouraged.

Bomb threat at daycare centre

Worried parents took to social media yesterday after their children's daycare was evacuated due to a bomb threat.

Unusual celebrity baby names

Celebrities love to use their imaginations when it comes to naming their kids! Here's a gallery of some of the most memorable monikers in show biz families.

5 fears I've overcome since becoming a mum

Motherhood has a way of putting any phobias you had pre-parenthood into perspective: you either realise they?re a pointless waste of energy or they simply vanish in a sleep-deprived haze.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Going viral

Mum gives birth at school

A video of a three-year-old taking the ice bucket challenge has gone viral, but many aren't impressed.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.