24 replies to this topic

#1 catalyst

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:26 AM

New thread time ladies

http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=866597

#2 lactasticmama

Posted 21 February 2011 - 10:34 AM

Just a quickie (Mila has just woken)...

We are getting the 2 month vaccinations at 6 weeks. They brought them forward due to the Whooping Cough break-out, as someone just mentioned.

I'll try to get back later to do a better post. Hope you're all well! original.gif

#3 chocymoose

Posted 21 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

Hi,

I found this free downloadable information package on the beyond blue website about peri and post natal depression that some may find useful. It contains fact sheets on depression and anxiety.

https://www.beyondblue.printmanagement.com....p;category_id=0

Also this about taking care of yourself. Haven't read it yet myself but try will when I get the chance.

https://www.beyondblue.printmanagement.com....p;category_id=0

#4 sunnymonkey

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:34 PM

Hello everyone
Im joining this group a little late hope you dont mind biggrin.gif
I have used this site for lots of information and have just realised there is a parent group.

Our DS (#1) was due on the 14th of Jan and arrived on the 16th of Jan after a 18 hour natural birth. My waters broke at 1.30am after just getting into bed and soon after contractions started and at 7am were 4mins apart so hospital said to come in and all contractions stopped. Had to spend the next 8 hours on the maternity ward trying to get my contractions to increase but they stayed around 4 mins and same intensity so i was exhausted and frustrated. At 3pm the gave me the drip to induce me which i was so ready for and little Harper Chase arrived with a full head of dark dark hair at 8.30pm weighing 6 pund 11 and 51cm long. I got to see his head crown with the mirror and stool and my DF got to help catch him and cut the cord (which he swore he never wanted to do) and it was amazing! Although it was the worst undiscirbable pain ever it was also a experience that overwelmed me and i really treasure.

Harper is 5 weeks and 2 days today and we are loving every moment of it. Although it is a lot more demanding and time consuming and tiredsome than i imagined. At first he was so chilled and slept and feed nicely. My DF had to go back to work after 1 week and Harper is not very good at sleeping. He catnaps through the day with 10-20 minute naps and nothing seems to help. At night he wakes every hour and half to two hours then at 4 or 5 ish wakes crying and uncofortable with lots of wind and gas and doesnt settle till about 11am when he finally does a poo. Although the last 3 days he has had a massive sleep from about 6pm he will sleep in his rocker swing till 10pm then feed and is wide awake for 2 hours when we can finally settle him. My favourite time is when he smiles which he does alot and also loves bath and showers.

Looking forward to reading and posting and getting to know everyone. Hope everyone and there bubs are doing lovely today.

#5 Crazy.Whimsy

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:06 AM

Blahhh, just did a long post and I accidentally closed it grrr... I'm off to have brekky now and will come back to retype it all again.

#6 Crazy.Whimsy

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:31 PM

Take 2

Hi to everyone, sorry if I miss anybody.

peeka:
I would only restrict your in-laws ift hey show any signs of a cough or flu. I cant understand why they wouldn't get the shot to protect their grandchild though. I get its their body etc, but I would be a bit angry considering what the consequences of whooping cough can be.
I have use Infants friend and it did wonders for Jacks tummy pains.

Misia: Welcome original.gif just a question, how do you pronounce you DD's name? She is very cute.

satanskitti: Oh sorry to hear your scar is causing you so much pain. Hopefully they will find an answer for you and get you some relief. It must cause you so much extra stress  bbighug.gif

Felicity: Welcome original.gif

Sunnymonkey: Welcome original.gif Harpers days sound a lot like some of Jacks, it can be so hard when they have wind. Hate seeing him all scrunchy.

AFM: Jack is doing good, he isn't having as much wind as before. He is still sleeping between 2-3hrs. Wish it was a bit longer sometimes.
His new swing just arrived and he's currently swinging away happily original.gif Great buy at $80.
Well I'm going to post this before I accidentally  close it again original.gif

#7 BabeBlossom

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:53 PM

~peeka~ Did your ILs say why they wont be getting the whopping cough vaccine? I did find it hard asking especially as my parents are both remarried/partnered so I was also asking their partners to get it but I was lucky that they were all more than happy too. Can you and DP explain that their decision means they will have to be extra vigilant and not visit if they are feeling unwell or have been around people who are unwell? Its a diffuclt situation they have put you in.

satanskitti Thats awful your experiecing so much discomfort from your csection, I cant imagine any of that is typical. Hope you get some answers and relief once you have your OB checkup

koiles Sorry to hear you had a bad outcome at the neurologist. If something is wrong I guess it is better you know about it but hopefully it turns out to be nothing

perthfirstone2011 Unless she is 100% awake I have no chance of a feed, I really can't imagine how a dreamfeed would work or is it something they get better at with age?

sunnymonkey We had such a similar labour! Only difference was I was induced at 1pm and gave birth at 6pm. Sounds like yours ended a lot more smoothly though, how wonderful you got to watch the head crown and DF cut the cord  original.gif

jjandu I love your signature, very cute!  

What a great idea to bring forwad the vaccines for whopping cough, they arent doing that in Vic or at least not down my way. Every time I leave the house I have that worry in the back of my mind, will be so releived once she has the first round done.

AFM Eloise had been in a great routine of 4 hours sleeps overnight & 2 hours during the day with a mega long screaming session in the evening but it all seems to have gone out the window now. She is a lot calmer at night but not sleeping as long oh well hoping she has a longer sleep tonight. She hasnt slept all afternoon and is now so over tired I think Im in for a nice long screaming session to tire her out.
She has had milk spots for the past 2 weeks and they dont seem to be going away just yet, anyone elses baby have them?
Loving the smiles Ive been getting wub.gif and she has also been giggling and gurgling away during nappy changes and cuddles, it already feels like she is getting so old!

#8 sunnymonkey

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hello everyone

I love all your sigs they are so cute.

Quick question for Peeka (or anyone else who knows) with Jack is the infants friend helping with the wind? Im not sure which one to try, someone suggested Bruers or Infants friend. Do you give it to them with every feed?

And another 1st time mum question sorry...
I put Harper in his cot at 6.30 tonight when he was almost asleep then he woke up and lied there for an hour and 20 minutes (happy) till he put him self back to sleep. Is it ok to leave them that long to go to sleep? cause now its been 4 hours since he fed and his only just gone to sleep??? I didnt want to disturb him cause its the first time his settled himself to sleep without me walking him around or putting him in his swing chair.

#9 nictobe mum

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hi All,

News to report, after a week trying the save our sleep, it didnt work for us, it actually made things worse and B started cat napping or actually no napping. Arrggghhh he would go 6 hours without sleep during the day, it got really bad.

I had a clinic visit last week and the nurse picked up on his tiredness and my soon to be out of control PND, she was amazing. By that afternoon i had been to my GP got some meds to help with the PND and also had a place booked in at Karitane residential sleep school.

So this monday we went off to sleep school with lots of trepedation, as he is still so young i was feeling very low and unsure of myself. Four days later has made a huge difference, he now has a sleep routine during the day and is responding so well and i feel heaps better.

Anyone considering Karitane, i would really recommend them they are so supportive, like having your own personal cheer squad.

Will be back for personals later...

#10 Roobear

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Nictobemum- Glad the nurse you saw was so great. Sleep deprivation can be so debilitating so I am glad he is sleeping better for you.

Sunnymonkey - Welcome original.gif I didn't end up using Infant's friend, I got some Gripe Water which seems to be doing the trick at the moment. The infacol worked for a few days but then we had a day of just screaming and no sleep so we ended up at the pharmacy who recommended the Gripe Water which worked wonders and we can both sleep again. I know quite a few ladies have had success with Infant's friend though. I presume it is ok to leave Harper to self settle but first time mum too so maybe a more experienced mummy can help you!

Lisaloo - Smiles are just the best! Hope Eloise sleeps well for you tonight.

JJ and U - Hope you can get a few 4 hour stretches out of Jack! Glad he is enjoying his swing original.gif

Thanks for the comments re my question about the vaccine. My inlaws are a little funny - they have a rather deep mistrust of medical professionals so my MIL attitude is well no one she knows has got whopping cough so it can't be as widespread as DP was saying. When DP explained a baby died of it she dismissed it saying that no baby she knows has died and that vaccines do more harm than good *sigh*.
Anyway I think I will just stay away if anyone in gets sick.

AFM - Had a good nights sleep last night! Couldn't believe it when after a 2am feed she woke at 5.30am and then slept again til 9.30am. Tried to change her into a 0000 suit today and it didn't fit.. can't believe how fast she is growing!

#11 Misia_AuLait

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the compliments on A's smiley pic hehe. I also love everyones signatures that have a picture, ur babies are simply adorable! I love taking heaps of pics of A everyday... i think its cos my phones a camera so its just constantly available.

Koiles - how did your brain scans go? i honestly hope they turn out to be nothing serious! xx

Eirinn- yeah DH got a month & a half of paid paternity leave he works as a government scientist so they have good policies on things like that. That, plus he also had alot of holidays saved up so he decided to take some of those during this time - i've been very lucky to have him help out with bubs.

Sunnymonkey- isn't it funny how you always hear labour stories starting at night or early morning? Mine was like that too - just when your exhausted and the last thing you need is to go into labour!
OH and i also would love to kno what others would do re ur feeding/nap question - its tricky, i assume though he wouldnt sleep very long n an empty stomach, maybe you should try the dream feed?

JJ- Hi tthumbs.gif & thanku ur lil one is gorgeous too - Aniela is pronounced Ann-yeah-lah (like daniela w/out the d)

Edited by Misia_AuLait, 25 February 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#12 satanskitti

Posted 27 February 2011 - 08:43 AM

Little check in, all is well here.  Bub will be two months on Tuesday, where does time go.  About to venture out shopping, alone.  DH watching kids so I can grocery shop and window shop in peace.  I will probably spend the hour or two missing my kids and feeling guilty at being out alone.  We will see.  

Bubs smiling heaps which makes us all very happy, big sister continues to be the doting sister and like a second mum.  I swear if she could bfeed him she would lol.  They are glued together and she is still very possessive over who gives the most cuddles and nurses the most.

#13 koiles

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:56 AM

I thought it'd been quiet in here, then worked out I didn't realise the other thread had closed that's why I wasn't getting notifications! Doh ddoh.gif.

My brain scans and other tests came back all clear, phew! I was told on the day that they were looking for seizure activity...reaaallllyyy wish they had've told me that in the first place before I stressed myself out thinking I had a tumour the size of a tennis ball in there rolleyes.gif. Anyhoo, all good thank goodness, the blackouts were just put down to a pregnancy-related thing with the weight of the uterus blocking one of the major arteries every now and then. No more babies for me so I won't have to worry about it ever again!

N has started sleeping longer stretches at night, he's now only doing 1 wake-up overnight which is heaven. He goes to bed at 9pm, feeds at 3am then straight back to sleep, then up for the day and another feed between 6-7am. He's such a chilled baby, totally loving it. He started going through a clingy phase during the day the last week or so where he just wanted me to hold him for his day naps...not entirely possible with a 16m old who's just learnt to walk around, so I've borrowed an electric swing from a friend. First day using it today so hopefully he likes it and I can get a bit more hands-free time. He's smiling loads and is trying to laugh his little sqwarky laugh, waiting for a good giggle to come soon, don't think it's far off hheart.gif.

Hope everyone is well biggrin.gif

#14 lactasticmama

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi ladies! Very quiet in here! But you must all be like me and indulging in your newborns wub.gif

Not much happening here as such. Mila is going really well! Had her needles today, good to have that over with. She's sleeping well most nights and just an absolute delight! Such a beautiful & easy baby wub.gif

koiles, oh that's wonderful news the scans came back clear, you must be so relieved! Great to hear your little one is sleeping longer stretches, we get that here every couple of nights.

satanskitti, how did your shopping go by yourself?

nictobemum, how are you feeling now? Glad to know the nurse was right onto your PND & your little one's sleeping has been sorted. My mum went to Karitane 16 years ago with my youngest sister, and they helped heaps!

Better run, it's getting late and I still need to do an online grocery shop, oops! Hope you're all well.

#15 envs

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:07 AM

Hi Ladies

I've been coming into this forum intermittently since bubs was born, and have finally had a chance to write!

I was in the late Jan DIG. Bubs came bang on time on 19 Jan - but that's b/c it was an elective c-sar (not allowed to have natural given it was my 3rd). biggrin.gif   (Hi Tess, Lisa B and Jus!)

She came in at 3.4kg, and 50 cm. Ob had predicted under 3 kg at full term, as i carry relatively small. So given the decent birth size, no one's surprised she's thriving and now moved up to 95th percetile height and 90th weight.

She smiles quite often and holds her head very high. I think she's the strongest of all 3, even though she was the earliest delivery....given my other 2 crawled @ 5 & 4.5 months, I'm guessing this one will grow up even faster  sad.gif

I can't remember who it was who asked, but my LO also has some sort of milk rash on her face also....tho CHN said it could also be baby acne.

Just did baby's hand/foot prints for her baby record book - why does it always end up smudged, out of the designated area and all over the other pages?! Grrrr

Anyways, looking firward to all your posts, and sharing more info with you all. I notice there are some really old parent groups dating years back which are still going...I really hope this one will be the same!!

Catch you soon

#16 lactasticmama

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

waves.gif How's everyone & their babies doing? Hope you're all well original.gif

envs, ooh that's a good idea about the hand & footprints, might give this a go maybe.

#17 sunnymonkey

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:21 PM

Misia_AuLait - yes its funny how labours tend to start at the wee hours of the morning and then we dont get to catch up for soooo many months later

tess - Harper and I are doing great and finally settling into some sort of routinearoundf 3 hourly feeds . Not a good sleeper at day (max 4 hours usually 2) then bed at 8 and wakes at 2am and 5am and up at 7.30am. Loving the smiles and the goos and gaas

waves.gif Not much action going on in here so I hope everyone is having a wonderful time with their new bubs and things are coming together nicely for you all.
biggrin.gif

#18 heres hoping

Posted 30 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

Hi mums laugh.gif

Well this is the first time ever that I have had the opportunity to write in this group, actually first time I have been back at Essential Baby (except for on my phone) since my little girl was born so I should introduce myself.....

I am heres hoping (was preggie mummy for a while) and I was in the expecting group 16 - 31st Jan DIG so hi everyone from that DIG xxx

My daughter, Amelie was born on 21st Jan by CSector under a GA and she was 6pounds 14oz (a lot smaller than my son who was 9pounds!) and she is a blessing after a 15 and a half year age gap from my son and I feel very fortunate to be blessed with a little girl as I cannot have anymore children now so its lovely to get a boy and a girl and to finally give my son a sibling.

I haven't been on the computer hardly at all due to not having a free hand!! But things are improving both in my health and Amelie starting to sleep in her bed so I think we have finally turned a corner......

Spoke to soon, she has woken up, I better go so I look forward to getting to know the rest of you better and hearing all about your experiences

xxx

PS - Why is there 2 Jan groups by the way? Am I in the right one? tongue.gif

#19 satanskitti

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:09 PM

heres hoping Congrats on your little girl, beautiful name by the way.  And what a blessing to have one of each.  I have an eight year old DD, and now a three month old baby boy as well.  We will be TTC for number 2 from August.

#20 BakerGirl

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:22 AM

Hi Ladies,

I've been meaning to join this group for ages. I've been lurking but just never got round to saying hi.

My little guy, Finn was born on the 14th January.  It was a fairly straightforward birth, he was born naturally after 21 hours of labour.  Born 2.9kg so a bit of a small guy but he's thriving now.  The most exciting thing was probably that he was born on my 30th birthday! Out of all the days I was hoping he would miss this day only cause I'm a twin and already share my b'day but all is well and we're all kind of excited about it now.

I hope to post as often as I can and like reading about everyone's stories here as our bubs grown original.gif

#21 satanskitti

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:12 PM

bakergirl  Congrats on your little man.  Not much posting happens in here at the moment but hopefully that will change.  I think sharing a birthday with your little man is very special.  And congrats on hitting 30.  I have a little boy, Christopher Kelvin (better known now as CK) and he was born via c-sect on 4th January.  Look forward to chatting to you.

#22 bean1977

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

Hi,
I have just found this thread and thought I would say hi original.gif

I had a little girl called EE on the 2nd of Jan (her due date was the 24th Dec so she kept us waiting over Christmas and New Year).  She weighed in at 3.99 kg (or 8 lb 13 oz) and just seems to keep growing!!!  

Looking forward to chatting with you all in the future!

Edited by bean1977, 25 May 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#23 koiles

Posted 02 June 2011 - 05:33 PM

Hi all,

It has been so long since I've had a chance to stop in and post here blush.gif. N is going really well, we stopped BFing and switched to formula about a month ago now as my supply dropped off and he had turned from a happy smiley boy, to completely miserable during the day, and had gone from 1 night feed to about 4. Since he's been on the formula he's been so settled and is just the happiest little thing, always smiling and he's sleeping through the night now too. I ummed and ahhed for weeks about whether to make the change and I'm so so glad I did now. He is putting on weight very slowly but steadily. He was sick with a cold and didn't drink much at all for about 3 days and lost 200g but he's now put that back on again. He weighed in at 6.1kg at 5 months 1 week.

We haven't started solids yet, he doesn't seem quite ready yet, but I do try him from time to time when feeding his brother and he's just shut his mouth and turned away so far, but no rush there I'm happy to wait as long as he wants.

Busy busy busy trying to juggle a 19mo, 5mo and a little home business sewing baby & kids clothes, so I'm not getting much time out at the moment, but coping ok. Going on holidays to see my fam in WA next week, can't wait, exactly the break I need!

Welcome to all the newbies original.gif Hope everyone is well xx

#24 Starposs

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

Hi ladies

I'm new to this group (been a member of eb for ages but haven't posted or come on since early 2010).'is it ok if I join this group? Our son Lucas Kevin was born on 13/01/11 at 18.32. I was induced on the 11th ( i was 39 weeks) with the tape but he wasn't born until the 13th after my waters were broken and I was out on a drip. After 8 hours of 'active' labour he was born.

We are hoping to start TTC # 2 around Oct, depending on my health.

Anyway off to read the posts in this group original.gif

#25 Starposs

Posted 11 August 2012 - 12:51 AM

Hi ladies

I'm new to this group (been a member of eb for ages but haven't posted or come on since early 2010).'is it ok if I join this group? Our son Lucas Kevin was born on 13/01/11 at 18.32. I was induced on the 11th ( i was 39 weeks) with the tape but he wasn't born until the 13th after my waters were broken and I was out on a drip. After 8 hours of 'active' labour he was born.

We are hoping to start TTC # 2 around Oct, depending on my health.

Anyway off to read the posts in this group original.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.