Talk to me about breast pumps people!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 cira

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

I used a Ameda Purely Yours for about 9 months for my first child, expressing multiple times every day. It held up very well. I found that it ate batteries if I wasn't plugging it in but I'm guessing most pumps would. I chose this pump because the milk gets sucked straight into bottles without going through the tubing or through the actual pump. Suction and speed settings were good for me. And double pumping was definitely more efficient even if my breast only expressed one at a time.

#27 kamlio

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

I hired the Medela Symphony from the local chemist.  It was great.  After a bit (a lot) of practice I could have both going and could get around 1.3litres a day in three sessions of 30-40 minutes each.  Since I was expressing exclusively the time saving was totally worth the rental.  I used it for four and a half months and the rental cost came to about a third of buying it new.  I wouldn't buy one though because they are expensive, you might not want to use it for a long time and if there was a problem you can't just take in back to the pharmacy to have them replace it immediately.

#28 WaitForIt

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

I have the Ameda lactaline. I read the reviews on amazon and although the Medela gets good ratings, some had issues with milk getting in the tubes. The Ameda, the design means that this is impossible. It has a diaphragm between the pump and extraction container section.

#29 BearBait

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

For my first DD in 2010 I used a Medela Pump in Style Advanced for approx 1 year until it wore out. I was back at work so pumped 4x per day for 15-20min per session. It was an excellent, strong pump.

Medela in their wisdom no longer sell the PISA so this year with DD2 & my return to work I forked out serious cash with NursingAngel to buy the Freestyle. Freestyle is small but useless. Suction is weak. While Medela Customer Service fix or replace my Freestyle I needed a pump so I bought an Ameda Purely Yours. Good pump, strong & good clean system.

I consider the PISA the best pump by far. The Ameda Purely Yours/Lactina a close second. Freestyle is underpowered junk. I think I'm doubly annoyed with the Freestyle bc it was so expensive I expected more.

#30 lucky 2

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

If you are expressing a lot and wanting to express optimal volumes then a double electric pump would be ideal.
It is quicker to double pump (I used one for 15 months, using it 2-4 times a day).
My personal favourite if you are full time expressing is the Medela Freestyle but it isn't terribly portable. I like the Medela swing otherwise.

I'm a bit confused stbg, the freestyle is a pretty small personal pump, very easy to transport.
Perhaps you thinking of the Symphony pump which is the big hospital grade one?

Lots of people use a single pump very effectively, if you've never used a double you wouldn't know how much quicker it can be.
I had an Ameda Pump in style and thought it did a great job.
All the best.

#31 lozzylots

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Also using and love my Medela Swing - I express exclusively for my 6 week old and have since she was 3 days old, about 6 times a day. A double pump would probably be quicker but I get enough milk in about 15 mins of pumping. It's very portable and can be battery operated, it's quiet and effective and as PP pointed out, very easy to use and clean. So far no issues. HTH.

STBG - nope, saw 2 LC's and never taught to hand express, but a friend who went to a different hospital (both public if that makes any difference?) earlier this year was shown how to.

#32 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:24 PM

Medela. Nuff said.

#33 lucky 2

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

STBG - nope, saw 2 LC's and never taught to hand express, but a friend who went to a different hospital (both public if that makes any difference?) earlier this year was shown how to.

Every woman should be taught to hand express, you never know when you might need the skill.

If a woman has a bfing problem that requires expressing then the allocated MW should have taught the hand expression technique as a part of the plan to manage the problem, along with arranging for you to see a LC.
A LC might revise the technique but it would be unusual for a MW not to have already taught such a basic skill. It only takes a minute or two to do so.

#34 CallMeFeral

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (soontobegran @ 12/02/2011, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just a question if you don't mind me hijacking OP----Was anyone taught to hand express in hospital when you had your babies?

I was. It only ever worked when I was engorged, but it certainly helped then. I had a cheap electric and a cheap handheld breastpump and they didn't even work on me - I couldn't express till I tried a friend's Medela.

#35 1200

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (laridae @ 11/02/2011, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the Medela Swing - it works really well, doesn't hurt, gets out a lot of milk and doesn't take too long - but if I had to pump every day I'd consider getting the double pump instead - a Medela Freestyle.  As it is - I'm only pumping occasionally so don't need a double.

i currently bought a kits to switch a Swing to double pumps, it works fine.

#36 findingada

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:16 PM

Sorry OP but I can't help with experience with the pumps you listed. I hired the Medela Symphony to help build supply and maintain it when my twins were born prem. I agree with others that you should think about what you want to use the pump for before you spend your money. You might also want to consider that some boobs are also less pump friendly than others even though supply is huge. I could get no love from a manual pump but the hospital grade pumps were good. I used and Symphony almost exclusively for 5 weeks and had ample supply for my twins. Once my twins were feeding reliably every feed, I stopped pumping. Unless your bub/s are born prem or sick or you think you will be separated from them for long periods in the first month, you will probably want to focus on getting supply established for at least the first 4 weeks. Getting supply established is best done with a bub attached to you on their demand.

STBG - My midwife taught me to hand express. I had a c-section with the twins and she told me to hand express for the first 3 days and suck up the colostrum with a syringe. She said that would give me the best start to building a big supply. For 2 days she helped with just verbal instruction. One night I was so upset when my hand was sore and I couldn't get enough colostrum to meet what the docs said my bubs could manage and she asked if she could hand express for me. I didn't care about the appropriateness or otherwise of it - I just wanted as much colostrum out as possible and gave my permission for her to do it. She was waaaayy rougher than what I had been doing but after that my milk came in and my supply was huge. I didn't actually use hand expressing much after those 3 days, and, although it probably did give me a good supply, I had pins and needles in my right hand for 6 months afterwards. Perhaps there was something about the way I was doing it that made me get pins and needles or if I had known to be a bit rougher then perhaps I would not have had to do it as often as I was doing it (every 2 to 3 hours). I did hand express occasionally in a hot shower to shift some tough lumps (after massaging the lumps while my supersucker twin had a good go at it) but I primarily used it to take the edge off engorgement while they were sleeping through the night and when they finally weaned. So I think it is still valuable to know how to do it for other reasons too.

Edited by motherwrites, 20 December 2012 - 01:19 PM.

#37 runnybabbit

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

I pumped occasionally (worked one morning a week from four months post partum) but switched from a Medela Swing to an Ameda Purely Yours and never looked back -- so much quicker with a double pump!

The Medela Swing was good but having a double just saved so much time and the Medela Freestyle was just so much pricier than the Ameda.

#38 Feralishous

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:27 AM

I used my medela swing every 2 hours for 6 months. It was fantastic. Id consider trying an Ameda next time though, as Ive heard great stories and would love to compare.

#39 Leafprincess

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:52 AM

Ameda's purely yours double electric pump is what I use.

Portable, three power source types (PowerPoint, car adaptor or batteries)
Removable parts to keep things hygienic
Single or double pump
Adjustable speed & suction

I not sure if I'm allowed to say but I'm selling one (accidentally ended up with two, was on my gift list and i bought one. in laws opened an sterilized both sets while I was having an emergency c-section so can't return it)

#40 zingy

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:31 AM

QUOTE (CallMeAliG @ 18/12/2012, 12:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Medela. Nuff said.

Agree. Used one for prem bub 1 and then twin prems too. Love Medela.

#41 elmo_mum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

i bought the medela swing - and used the hospi one when visiting my prem bub

was great cos the swing is portable so could go out and still express

if u r expressing at work - get the swing

#42 ubermum

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:22 AM

I expressed full time for almost a year. I had the Medela pump in style, that came built into a back pack with a cold pack area and ice brick for bottle storage. It was $495 in 2006, but is still going strong. It was used full time by me, for almost a year by a micro-premmie mum, weekly use by my sister and incidental use by me with subsequent babies.

If you are expressing full time, a good pump with double pumping kit (to do two boobs at a time) is a lifesaver. The Medela was portable, ran off mains, battery or car adapter, and expression bottles work directly with standard narrow bottles and teats.

If I had to buy again, I would probably buy Medela from the US, where it is the leading brand. I would just use a power adapter in my wall outlet. Much cheaper from there.

#43 asiltheangel

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:05 PM

I have the medela Freestyle (double) and its unreal! i purchased it from Nursing Angel and they were great too....

dont forget you can claim it back through your private health insurance too, just check it out

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.