Talk to me about breast pumps people!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 monkeybaby

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:42 PM

I'm looking for a breast pump . . . as with most things, there are too many choices!

I'll be expressing everyday and have worked out that I'll need an electric pump, I've checked out www.nursingangel.com.au but I'm still not sure which is best.

The Medela Swing seems good (I like that it has 2 phase expression), but there isn't much info on the Avent Isis electric.

Anyone with any experience with either of these?  Or the Ameda Purely Yours?

Please help!!!

MB

Edited by lucky 2, 13 December 2012 - 07:13 PM.
r/o direct link to website

#2 Angelina Ballerina

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:56 PM

I've got an Avent Isis electric. It does the job but I think it would be better with more suction.

I also had the cheapest Medela electric pump. It had great suction but was incredibly noisy (to the extent it started to interfere with let down. The motor burnt out too.

I've heard good things about the Medela swing but haven't tried it

#3 ~lizzles~

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:08 PM

I actually hired a medela one from the local pharmacy.  It worked wonderfully.  I'm not too up-to-date with the types of pumps but this one was huge with a big blue box attached.. so not at all portable, but was awesome for my purpose.

#4 laridae

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:25 PM

I have the Medela Swing - it works really well, doesn't hurt, gets out a lot of milk and doesn't take too long - but if I had to pump every day I'd consider getting the double pump instead - a Medela Freestyle.  As it is - I'm only pumping occasionally so don't need a double.

#5 osgirl

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:33 PM

I researched a lot on this issue before buying a Medela Swing. Medela are leaders in this area, as are Ameda. I actually bought mine from ebay. It was hardly used and in excellent condition. I bought it after I stopped using a hospital grade Ameda at home which I had hired from the chemist. The Ameda was great too. It was a double pump but not portable. I had also used the hospital grade Medela during a breastfeeding day stay and that's what got me to buy the Swing with it's two phase expression. That worked really well for me. The Ameda hospital grade one had settings in which you could make it faster/slower and the sucking (is that the right term?) could be adjusted too. I'm now only expressing occasionally so the Medela Swing is perfect for me. However, if you will be using everyday several times you may want to look at a double to save time, as a PP said.

Hope that helps!

#6 =R2=

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:41 PM

Sorry to be a nosy parker but I'm wondering why you would need to express everyday and how long for?

My recommendation for a breast pump would be different for occasional use as opposed to everyday use.

#7 applepie2

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:44 PM

I used the Avent Isis Electric for DS, (4 yrs), also it had a battery pack.  I always found it very good, although only had a Pigeon? to compare it to, which was no comparison at all.  I liked it had a battery pack, so I could express on long country car trips (when DH driving).

#8 CappucinoGirl

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:45 PM

I rented a Medela electric pump from a chemist and LOVED it.
I found it very easy to use and once I got the hang of it could express decent amounts quickly and one handed - oh yeah  tthumbs.gif

They are a bit pricey to buy new but you can resell them later, or perhaps rent one or buy off ebay.

I actually hired a medela one from the local pharmacy. It worked wonderfully. I'm not too up-to-date with the types of pumps but this one was huge with a big blue box attached.. so not at all portable, but was awesome for my purpose.

That's the one I mean the Medela Lactina, you can also use it as a hand held.

#9 JHSN

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

I brought my medela swing in 2007 after I had my son I had a problem with the motor six weeks later and it was replaced straight away.  I used it 1-2 a day for 11 months with DS and probably every other day for 15months with DD.  It still works brilliantly.  Best money I ever spent.

#10 -river-

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:51 PM

I hire the Medela Symphony, I exclusively express.

#11 Atwood

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

I used the Medela Swing with both DD1 and DS and loved it.   For both babies, it took me a few weeks to get breastfeeding established due to attachment issues, so I would pump several times a day and it never failed me.   Once breastfeeding was established, I would pump as needed, and used it for a duration of 2 years.    

Now that DD2 is here, I have not had the opportunity to sit for hours to establish breastfeeding, so am exclusively pumping.   I decided that since this is how things will be for the next year or so to treat myself to a double pump, and bought the Ameda Purely Yours.   I chose it because I liked the idea that it had the airlock prevention feature, and it was a lot cheaper than the Medela double pump.    Once my milk supply had been established, I have found that I am able to pump 3 times a day and produce enough milk to feed DD  and have some left over to freeze (about 1250ml a day in total), so am more than happy with this pump.     Given that it was a lot cheaper than the Medela, I am pleased I went with this pump.  

I bought my pump through Nursing Angels and find them fantastic!

#12 allforkids

Posted 12 February 2011 - 02:12 AM

Having twins I started off hiring the Medela Symphony from the chemist as it was the one our hospital used so I was familiar with it whilst my bubs had their stay in hospital as it had the capacity to pump both breasts at once, whereas many of the smaller pumps on the market you could only express from one breast at a time, given every moment of sleep was precious I wanted to spend less time up pumping milk and more time in bed rather than being stuck attached to a pump.  After a few months I switched over and bought a Medela Swing as it was small, compact and could travel anywhere with you, it took longer given it only has a single pump but saved money in the long run as we were no longer paying hire fees on the bigger breast pump.  

#13 halcyondays

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

I bought the Ameda Purely Yours- double pump and easily portable. At first I hired the Ameda hospital strength one from the pharmacy as I was expressing just for a few weeks ( I hoped) to boost supply, but then I needed to express when at work. I like it a lot. It is slightly noisier than the hospital strength pumps (which cost about $1,700), and doesn't have as smooth a suction, but it does the job of expressing for the occasional feed brilliantly.
Don't know how it would work if you were expressing all feeds, as haven't done that before.

#14 Lucygoosey1

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

I have avent electric and was really happy with it.  Saying that I would use it maybe 2-3 times a week, and the motor broke down after a few months ( it was replaced under warranty and no problems at all with this).  I don't think it would be the best one for daily use. Definitely would get a double pump if using daily.

#15 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:16 PM

I had an avent electric and I was exclusively pumping. First one broke down after 5 days and the second one after 1 month. I expected better for the amount is cost and don't recommend it.

#16 shortnfat

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

I've tried the Avent (lent to me for a short while) then bought the Medela swing. I went on to buy the Medela Freestyle (a double pump). The Medela pumps are great - they got the milk off as quickly as the Avent but I found them much more comfortable.

The Freestyle has been used pretty much continuously for the last 2 years (I lent it to a friend between using it for my 1st and 2nd babies) and has been great.

There's a great website in the UK which you can order pumps and replacement components from much more cheaply than in Aus:
expressyourselfmums.co.uk

#17 ez21

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

I have the Medela Swing.  It's a great pump with good suction and very easy to use and clean.  It's also very quiet.  Comes with the standard size breast shield which doesn't suit everyone so, make sure you have the correct size to ensure you are expressing efficiently without doing damage to yourself. You can purchase the different sizes at nursingangel.com.au .

I found this pump very useful and was glad I had it when my bub was sick and wouldn't feed (to relieve the pressure!)  This pump will suit everyday use.

#18 2 Gorgeous Girls

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

My sister used the Medela Swing to exclusively pump for 4 months. I use it for occasional pumping. We both found it great for each purpose. I just had order some spare parts for it and I was impressed out how reasonably priced they were.

#19 Soontobegran

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

I think it does depend on what you want to use it for?
I am surprised with the number of women who buy one just in case as they really do not have to be used if your baby is breast feeding well and you are not returning to work.
If you just want one for the occasional pump to store then you do not need to spend an awful lot of money and the Avent Isis or just the Avent hand pump is a good option.
My personal favourite if you are full time expressing is the Medela Freestyle but it isn't terribly portable. I like the Medela swing otherwise.

Just a question if you don't mind me hijacking OP----Was anyone taught to hand express in hospital when you had your babies?

#20 bailee

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:04 PM

I've got an Ameda and its great. I've used both the Ameda and Medela hospital grade pumps and home pumps and prefer the Ameda as it has a stronger suction, which I need after having a breast reduction.  I have had to exclusively express for both my babies for a few months, so have got my money's worth out of my pump. I have broken my pump now - after a huge smash on the ground (one too many - its survived quite a number) and I'm going back to buy the same one. I also like the Ameda cause its small and light weight and I was able to take it to work with me.

If you are going to do a lot of pumping, then you need an Ameda or Medela as other pumps are made for occasional use, so their motors give out if you use the more than once a day for an extended period of time.  

#21 starsailor

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hi my 2c worth! I have an Ameda Purely Yours and I love it. We had numerous difficulties with BF but I really wanted baby to have BM. I have expressed for her since she was a few days old, going on 9 months now!
The pump has never missed a beat, is comfortable to use, easy to clean and when I have needed spare parts (the tiny white duck valves) they were cheap and easy to find.  I tore a few of the valves in the early days (exhausted and  cleaning wildly w brush and soap in the middle of the night when sleep deprived. ) The valves do not tend to tear with normal use.

#22 allthiseffortpaidoff

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I have the Medela swing and it's great.

I used it with DD1 and am planning on using it with this bub.

Initially I would express after every feed and freeze the milk for 'just in case' times (creche, grandparents visit, leave bub with hubby).

Once my milk supply was established, I only pumped once in the mornings and had enough for one feed.

When DD weaned, I ended up throwing out 5L of liquid gold as the milk banks won't take breast milk after your bub is 6 months of age.

Broke my heart!

#23 FeralSed

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

I used and loved the medela swing. DS was 33 +3, so hindsight would have bought the double, but he still ended up breastfed (took a few months). Depending on why your pumping, would look at the double.

#24 noi'mnot

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:29 PM

It really depends on what you're using it for. Take a look at this link from the ABA, which gives you an idea of what type you should be using. I would also recommend that you give their retail store a call, Mothers Direct. They sell some of the best quality breast pumps and will be able to give you advice which isn't so much as a sales pitch - more based on evidence and practicality and such - like some other retail outlets.

If you are needing a pump in the early weeks to build and maintain supply, then it might be worth your while hiring a hospital grade pump (medela symphony for eg). But, if it's for when you go back to work and your supply is established, then maybe the medela swing will be enough. It's hard to say, it really depends on your circumstances.

STBG - on your off topic, no I was never taught to hand express by anybody in hospital, despite seeing one of the hospital LCs at least once a week for six weeks post birth and being rehospitalised due to complications and such. I was taught over the phone by an ABA counsellor! It would have been a hell of a lot easier if hand expressing hadn't been passed off as "too hard and not efficient" in those first couple of weeks!

Edited by noi'mnot, 13 December 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#25 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:42 PM

I have a medella swing - it works really  well for me.  I express for comfort and in tthe hope that soon DD will take a bottle if I want to go out.

I had to hand express in hospital and found it very painful and truamatic - using a pump is much easier.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.