How to manage breast feeding and return to work
Share you experience

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 lucky 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:08 AM

Hi all original.gif ,

I thought I'd open a thread for members to share their experience of managing exclusive bfing and returning to work.
There can be many concerns when women look ahead to this separation, how will bub cope, how will I cope, can I express, should I use formula, what if bub wont take a bottle, on and on it goes, it can be a very stressful time for many (if not most) women.
This is so for all women irrespective of feeding method, but for the mother of an exclusively bf bub there is the added fear of "how to feed my baby" as bub has only had milk directly from the breast.
These concerns can remain even if bub has commenced solids.

If you would like to share I can pin this topic at a later date so members approaching this challenging time  will be able to read through the experiences of women who have already successfully negotiated this path.

Information you might like to include:-

Number of working days per week-

Age of baby on return to work
-

Baby's diet- ie exclusively bf
                          - bf with introduction of solids- no of meals and size of meals

Any preparation before starting work?

How was baby fed in your absence?

How did you manage your breasts at work? ie expressing or not, what type of pump, once or more a day

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work?

If you want to add extra information please do so, I may have missed some important bits of information to share.

Thanking you in advance original.gif ,

luckytwo, Moderator of this forum

I have pinned this thread, please add to it with your experiences as I'm sure it will make interesting reading for other members.

Internet resources for Breast feeding and Working-
https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bf-info/br...till-breastfeed
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bf-links-pumping.html
http://breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/return-to-work.html
http://www.tresillian.net/tresillian-tips/...ng-to-work.html
http://www.breastfeedingfriendly.com.au/

Edited by lucky 2, 25 September 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#2 IVL

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:29 AM

More than happy to reply to this as I asked these questions when returning to work with my DD.

5, very full time

Age of baby on return to work-
10 months (DH stayed at home with her for 2 months then we did a comination of daycare, grandma and a nanny).

DD was eating solids very well by this age, mostly finger foods

Tried to express and stock pile some EBM but this was difficult as I couldn't express large amounts and DD did not like to drink EBM.

Solids and water. DD would not drink from a bottle but was quite happy with a straw cup, I think the Pigeon MagMag from memory. She would drink cows milk or water as she refused EBM and formula.

How did you manage your breasts at work? ie expressing or not, what type of pump, once or more a day
First few days I was qute uncomfortable and hand expressed when it got too much. I was very ready for a feed come home time as was DD. Mondays I was also quite uncomfortable for the first weeks after allowing DD to demand feed on weekends, but after a while my breasts seemed to adjust to not only the time of day but also to what day of the week it wasand whether I was working or home with DD (aren't breasts clever!)

We carried on as usual and demand fed when I was at home on weekends, by about 12 months DD was having 3 feeds a day and whenever she woke at night. We then went to a morning and bedtime feed and I weaned her when I went away on a business trip at 18 motnhs (I had attempted to do this when she younger, about 13 months and she was fine whilst I was away but she got quite frantic when I returned so I gave in). Second time around she never asked or indicated she wanted the breast again when I returned.

#3 lucky 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

Excellent IVL, thanks!

#4 =R2=

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:39 AM

This was with DD2 nearly 3 years ago now but here goes:

Number of working days per week

Age of baby on return to work 11 months

Baby's diet Solids 3x a day, water in sippy cup and breastfed/EBM 3 times a day

Any preparation before starting work Bought a breastpump and started storing EBM from about 6 months of age.

How was baby fed in your absence? EBM in a bottle + solids + water in a sippy cup

How did you manage your breasts at work? Expressed twice per shift with my Medela Pump In Style Double Pump (only took 10 minutes at a time). I did night shifts so my breasts were full when I got home ready for the first morning feed.

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work? No. She self-weaned.

#5 papilio

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:45 AM

For those wanting information on expressing, I have a huge word doc 30+ pages, full of tips and hints on expressing.  If you'd like me to send it to you, please PM me your email address.

original.gif Candi

#6 wallofdodo

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:50 AM

Baby was 7 months when I returned.

4 days a week

He had started solids, 3 meals a day. Was almost fully Breast fed, had previously had formula top ups, but this had stopped with the introduction of solids.

During the day he had two bottles of formula, and meals. BF on return home, over night and morning before work.

I had a room where I could express. I replaced the two feeds with pumping. I kept this up for 2 weeks until my boobs adjusted.

My original plan was to drop the 2 bottles for the 3 days I was home and feed, however this didn't really work. On the first day I felt he wasn't getting enough milk, then by the Monday, I was fully supplied and incredibly uncomfortable at work. So in the end I kept the 2 bottles pattern up when I was home.

My supply was fine and adjusted quite well to the pattern, we continued to feed until the week of his first birthdays. He weaned himself, slowly dropping a feed at a time.

First he wasn't interested in the evening feed, then he stopped waking overnight, then in the morning he was more interested in his wheatbix than me!

I was quite happy with how it all panned out.

#7 Fienna

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:08 AM

Number of working days per week 3 days per week, leave the house at 7am and get home around 5pm. Bub is at home with DH.

Age of baby on return to work 8 months

Baby's diet Breastfeeding 5-6 times a day (inc. 1-2 at night) and BLW. Some days he eats a lot of solids, others very little.

Any preparation before starting work? About 1 month before returning to work I started expressing a small amount (30ml) once per day and freezing it. This helped me know that I could express, and also built up a stock of milk for my first day back. I also went to an ABA Breatsfeeding and Return to Work session. We also made sure bub was able to drink water from a sippy cup

How was baby fed in your absence? Mainly on solids and water. He won't take milk from a bottle (so wouldn't have taken formula either) and so far we've had no luck with cups etc. either. A little EBM on his breakfast cereal is about all we've managed. I was very anxious about it at first, but he's been fine not having milk during the day so now I'm less worried. Although I do hope we'll get to use all the EBM I'm freezing!

How did you manage your breasts at work? ie expressing or not, what type of pump, once or more a day Expressing using a double electric pump (Ameda Purely Yours - I tried hand pumps but could barely get any milk out). I started out pumping twice a day, as that was the number of feeds bub was missing. Bub would feed at around 5-6am at home, I pumped at around 10 then around 2, then fed bub again when I got home at 5pm. But I've now found that if I pump once at work (around 11:30) I can get the same amount of milk as pumping twice. It takes me around 30 minutes to pump 400 ml (200 ml from each side) compared to 20 minutes from two sessions, but I save time in the preparation and clean-up afterwards. I use a dual-pumping bustier which holds the pump in place and also provides compression which helps to increase the milk output. I find if I pump on a higher suction level (just under discomfort level) I can get more milk.

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work? I've only been back two weeks but I've not found any issues with my supply or managing breastfeeding when not at work. Some nights bub will wake more often for a feed, other nights he's actually sleeping better! I have noticed that he spends more time comfort sucking though, but that's OK - more cuddles for me!

I'll come back and add more if I think of anything else! original.gif

ETA:
- When I get home from work bub is very keen on a feed - sucking my shoulder when I pick him up and trying to latch on through my clothes when we sit down together. My supply and storage capacity is large, so in the past he's usually only ever wanted one side per feed, but the first feed when I get home he wants both sides.
- I usually feed bub to sleep, so was a little concerned about DH getting him to sleep, but there have been no problems. DH just cuddles him for about 5 minutes in a dark room with the sleepy music playing, then puts him in his bed and he falls asleep quite quickly.
- I'd say that bub is probably starting to want 1 extra feed per day on the days when I'm home. I haven't noticed this causing engorgement problems at work yet, but I wear breast pads just in case
- To help my let down when expressing I have some pictures of bub, especially ones where he's feeding, and an item of clothing that he's worn recently so it smells like him

Edited by Susil, 25 January 2011 - 10:47 AM.

#8 lucky 2

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:58 PM

Thank you all for your responses, it shows we all manage somehow!
Keep them coming! tthumbs.gif

#9 deejie

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Good idea Luckytwo! I'm happy to share my experience because DS was tricky in several ways.....

Number of working days per week-2

Age of baby on return to work-6.5m

Baby's diet- 2 solid meals a day (baby lead weaning). Allergies to cow's milk protein,  egg, oats and mild allergies to wheat/soy diagnosed at 6m of age. Breastfed, refuses the bottle & refused prescription elemental formula (nasty, horrid smelly stuff!) Re-tested at 12m and got the all clear for wheat/soy but had developed allergy to sesame.

Any preparation before starting work? I started expressing 3 times a day for a month in advance to build up an enormous freezer stash of EBM. Tried in desperation for him to take the bottle, every trick in the book. Fail fail fail. I had a preparation chat with the centre co-ordinator about how to handle a baby who required feeding through the day with EBM only who refused a bottle which was very reassuring.

How was baby fed in your absence? I would BF DS when I dropped him off at 8am. I provided childcare with EBM in 50mL lots which they stored in their freezer. They would spoon feed, use an open cup or syringe it in to DS outside of solid meal times. I was happy for them to mix EBM through purees and forgo the BLW at childcare, because this was the best way to ensure he had large volumes of milk. Eating with a spoon at child care had no effect on our BLW at home. I would BF him when I picked him up at 5pm.

How did you manage your breasts at work?
I expressed at my normal feed times with an Avent electric pump (single sided), which was quick for me because DS refused my left side from about 5m of age so by the time I started work there was nothing on the left to pump anyway! I've always been a terrible expresser volume wise. By 11m of age I was expressing 20-30mL a session and my freezer stash was gone, so from then on he went to child care just with solids and water.

Because I was a terrible expresser, I always felt "full" on work days. DS would often want an extra feed overnight on work days as well. Overall, I noticed no decrease in supply and he is still feeding happily 2-3 times a day at 19m.

#10 louise3now4

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

2.5, 2 one week, 3 the next alternating.
-
11.5 months until 19 months

bf with limited solids, but breast milk was the primary food source for her, feeding at least 6-8 times during the day and night. She was not having any cows milk at that stage, as she didn't like it.

Nothing. I could get 240ml from one breast without even trying.  

Given two - three expressed bottles of milk during the day by my mother. Fed by me just before departing in the morning, and then practically as I was walking back through the door at night.
I took a pump and freezer bag to work. They provided me with a quiet room with a lock on the door and a computer to surf on whilst I was pumping and I left my milk in the fridge at work without any comments or jokes being made. The expressed milk I took home and froze for the next day or week.

None whatsoever. She continued feeding after I left work when she was 19 months and actually still fed until she was 4 years and 11 months.

#11 Leha

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:38 PM

Thank you for creeating this topic. I am returning to work in a few weeks and a little worried. DS is 6mths and fully bf but on 3 solid meals a day. He is not great with the bottle but I have been getting DP to give him a bottle every few days so he is getting better.

I really want to BF for another 6 mths so hoping I can make it work.

Anyway will be reading with interest.

Leah

#12 ShoshieRu

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

I went back to work when DD was 2 months old; DH was at home.

4-5 days, from about 9am to 4pm.

2 months old.

For first four months after returning to work, still exclusively b/f. Started solids with gusto at 6 months.

No. I did know that I had a good supply though.

I would feed her before leaving, and then DH who was SAHP would give her 2-3 bottles of EBM during the day. Would give her a feed as soon as I came home.

I expressed at night; I could get enough for two full feeds in one sitting using a Medela electric double pump.

I didn't bother trying to express at work. I worked at a university which loudly and proudly proclaimed that it was 'Employer of Choice for Women' but didn't offer anywhere in the way of facilities. The fridge at work was always in a shocking state and I just felt uncomfortable about leaving bottles of EBM in there - the so-called enlightened boys' club wouldn't have coped.

I do recall at least one lecture, thinking that all the students were being super attentive and then looking down and seeing that I was leaking! I wore breastpads after that! And on the bus home after work I would cop a few good looks from guys on the bus; my boobs would be huge!

No impact at all. DD would happily feed with me when I returned home, and would feed exclusively from me on the weekends, and would then resume her routine of EBM in bottles on weekdays.

I did stop breastfeeding at 12 months though, and now that I am still happily feeding DS at 18 months I know that I stopped b/f DD so early because of work. But hey ... 12 months is still great!

I'm looking for part time work at the moment but already feeling a little nervous about how DS will go - he loves his mama and our breastfeeding times - we'll see!

#13 JupitersMoon

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:09 PM

Number of working days per week-5 days, gone 6 hours a day.

-7 months. She stays home with DP.

Baby's diet- bf with 2 solid meals a day, increased to 3 meals (more like 2 meals and a snack really) when starting work

Any preparation before starting work? tried to build up a supply of EBM for about 2 months prior, but i could never get much so i ended up with only about a week's worth for 1 feed a day. Also had a couple of days of DP trying to give DD a bottle of EBM but she didnt drink much.

How was baby fed in your absence? mainly solids as she won't drink much from the bottle, after a few weeks she is drinking anywhere from 20-90ml of ebm in my absence, but doesn't seem as upset about it as i thought she would be. we are using pigeon bottle which is now the only one she will take.

How did you manage your breasts at work? express once a day in my break, using avent electric pump. i can still only get 60-90ml when pumping, but since she doesnt drink much it doesnt matter.  I have a carspace at work so i pump sitting in my car!! its comfy and more private than anywhere else at my workplace.

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work? so far (3 weeks in), no, none at all. I bf on demand when home, have not had a supply problems and she still loves her boobie tongue.gif

Also i keep milk in avent storage containers, in the fridge in one of those lunch box cooler bags with icepacks in it (i have a long drive home so i need the icepacks to keep it cool on the way home).

#14 squirt80

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:18 PM

More than happy to share
Number of working days per week-5

Age of baby on return to work-3 months

Baby's diet- When I first returned to work DS was on only breast milk and I was expressing 80ml per feed genrally in the period I was away he had two feeds and I feed him prior to leaving him and immediatly after picking him up, At six months we introduced soilds and DS had two feeds of 120ml a feed.
at 9 months he was having one bottle of 180 mls, at this point I decided to mix feed and he had one bottle of formula during the day when I was away and breast milk in morning and night and on weekends. I am still feeding DS is now 18 months and he has BF at night and in morning

I did stock up on extra milk and kept it frozen and read the Australian Breastfeeding Associations guides on expressing and how much.

He was fed with a bottle

I expressed at lunch in my supervisors office, my advice is to talk to your employer and ask then for a and comfortable place to breast feed. I took a little esky with me with an ice brick to keep my breast milk in for the day and refridgerator as soon as I arrived home.
I orginally used a manual pump which was fine for the first 3 months as I had ample milk, after three months of expressing I used a double eletric pump, in additon to pumping at work I also pumped at 9.30 at night to gain enough milk for feeds.

Expressing did no effect my supply or cause me any problems with my breasts as a result of working and breast feeding in fact I have continued breast feeding longer than my friends who were stay at home mums.

It did get tiring and there was moments when I felt like I should just give him the bottle but I am so glad that I continued. He and I have a lovley bond and I felt like feeding him at the end of the day was such a nice way to reconnect.

Edited by squirt80, 26 January 2011 - 06:38 PM.

#15 nen-c

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

Number of working days per week-2 days, gone 8ish hours a day.

Age of baby on return to work-7 months. He is either at home with MIL or at my cousin's house.

Baby's diet- bf with 3 solid meals a day

Any preparation before starting work? I expressed and froze milk and tried to encourage more consistent bottle feeding from DS. Prior to starting work he was very hit and miss, would refuse or drink up to 50ml in one sitting.

How was baby fed in your absence? I would give him a bf and solid brekky before I left for work and then leave 2 bottles of 100ml EBM each. In the first week or 2 he only took about 1/4th of the milk I left, (and was starving when I returned) but he then gradually started taking more until he was drinking about 80ml of each botttle. He was also having a solid meal at lunchtime.

How did you manage your breasts at work? express once a day, using avent manual pump. I was offered the use of a sick bay (when vacant) or a shower cubicle, I took the latter as it is closer to my office and is a relatively large and private room. I generally express about 200-250 ml in 10-15 mins. My DS always has a big BF when I get home, otherwise I would need to express a 2nd time as well (and I think if I was working a more than 2 days I would probably get an electric pump and express 2x per day). The milk goes in a freezer at work and I take it home in an esky with freezer blocks.

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work? No, so far so good.

#16 tntisme

Posted 25 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

6 days a week... own business when bub 8 weeks old...

i expressed... handed him to clients... they fed him

was fed until 12 mths old.

hand expressed with avent breast pump.

all went well.

now have a very confident outspoken 5 yr old,

#17 madles

Posted 26 January 2011 - 06:56 AM

Edited by madles, 03 November 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#18 lucky 2

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:37 PM

I'm bumping this thread to give members a chance to respond, with the intention on making this a pinned thread.
Thanks for the responses so far original.gif.

#19 meljb

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

im heading back to work on Monday so it's interesting to read other's experiences. DD started child care 2 weeks ago. So far for us:

Number of working days per week-2

Age of baby on return to work- 9mths

Baby's diet- BLW 3 meals a day plus snacks when needed. bf on demand, usually 5 times a day, sometimes 6 (incl o'night)

Any preparation before starting work? As I know expressing is not practical at work I have spent the last 6 weeks trying to find a formula that DD will drink and slowly re-introducing her to the bottle (she went off it for several months after initally being happy to drink from it) during the day.

How was baby fed in your absence? She eats solids at morning and afternoon tea and lunch time and is offered 2 bottles of formula. To date at day care the most she has drunk from a bottle was 100mls over the course of a day.

Im hoping my breasts have adjusted suffcicently now so that i'll be able to manage the separation from 7:45am until 5pmish without an issue. Should create some interesting moments in my last period yr 9 classes if they haven't adjusted  tongue.gif

So far no impact on supply. DD feeds at about 5am and then I bf her anytime from 4pm onwards. She feeds again before bed and then at least once overnight (the last couple of nights it's been 2 or 3 times). Im hoping to keep feeding her morning and night (without the overnight feeds soon please  hands.gif ) until at least 14mths

#20 liveworkplay

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

Ive done this 3 times so here goes:

Number of working days per week- 3, 2 and 2 respectively. I however, work shift work and aon call so I ddi have occasions when I had the potential to be away from my baby from Friday morning until monday evening.

Age of baby on return to work- 12 mths, 10.5 mths 8 mths.

Baby's diet-
- bf with introduction of solids-

Any preparation before starting work? no

expressed milk from sippy cups for DD1 and DD2 and bottle for DD3.
How did you manage your breasts at work?  I expressed before work and at lunch times. With DD3 I also expressed in the begining in the mornings as well. DD1 I used an Advent hand pump, DD2 a pigeon elctric pump that I got second hand and DD3 a Medulla swing which was fabulous for frequent expressing and the most successful of the three.

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work? None. DD2 dropped to 2 feeds quite quickly (she was on 3 when she started) DD3 is still bf at 20 mths and when not working she can have up to a dozen bf in a 24hr peroiod, when working she now is on cows milk from a cup.

#21 lucky 2

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Hi folks,

One more bump to see if anyone would like to share their experiences before I pin this thread.

Thank-you to all who have shared their personal experience of combining breast feeding and working outside of the home.

#22 First and excited

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:58 PM

3 days a week

3 months old

Baby's diet- ie exclusively bf - bf with introduction of solids- no of meals and size of meals
Initially exclusively bf until 4 months.
Then slowly built up solids - started with amount equivalent to 1/4 banana and now at 7 months - 3 meals of solids equivalent 2/4 banana.

Expressed for about a month to build up stock of EBM as baby would be in daycare for two feeds during the day. Also put baby on a routine so that I could have breastfeeding breaks during the work day at certain times and for baby to know when to expect a feed. I started the routine at 6 weeks.

Gave EBM to be fed from a bottle.

I only expressed for one day, expressed at 11am and 3pm when baby usually had his feed and it took up to 30 minutes to drain both breasts using the Medela Swing.
After that first day, went into daycare to feed him as it was taking 30 min to feed him anyway so there was no difference in expressing or going to feed him.

No impact at all initially but I was careful to ensure I always continued to breastfeed him regularly and at the same times every day. Now at 7 months, my supply seems to be dropping but I don't think that working and breastfeeding is the cause for this.

Edited by First and excited, 02 February 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#23 Love_Evie

Posted 14 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hi Everybody,

My baby is 12 weeks old and my boss has is in desperate need of staff and would love for me to come back one day a week for 6 hours for 200...im a hairdresser, this is v good money!

Would love any tips. I have a v good milk supply, do I have to express at work to maintain it since it is one day a week? Being a hairdresser I only just have time to eat and drink at work!

I feel like it would be a great daddy daughter day, good for DH to get more hands on experience feeding settling etc.

Is it too soon? I dont NEED to go back, but it is a good offer... too much to think about.

I have tried expressing multiple time with the Avent manual and I have struggled to get much every time..any tips on expressing?

I wasnt planning on going back until she was 6 months and weaned to formula/solids.

Number of working days per week- 1

- about 4 months

Baby's diet- only breastfed

Any preparation before starting work? na

How was baby fed in your absence? EBM

How did you manage your breasts at work? ??

#24 SuezS

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Number of working days per week- 2

Age of baby on return to work- about 6 months

Baby's diet - baby led weaning breastfed

- had some ebm in the freezer

EBM by DH

How did you manage your breasts at work - Expressed twice per day at about 11am and 3pm using a double electric pump, took 15 minutes

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work? - no

#25 tntisme

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:37 PM

Number of working days per week- 6 days fulltime. 50 hours per week.

Age of baby on return to work- 8 weeks (but bub on site with me)

Baby's diet- exclusively breastfed

Any preparation before starting work? no i found out on the sunday that i had to start work on the monday... bought a breast pump (avent isis manual pump)  & went to work LOL

How was baby fed in your absence? hand bottle & baby to someone & they would feed it for me!

How did you manage your breasts at work? at approx feed times i had expressing breaks of 15 minutes.  I was a good cow LOL.  I would express a double feed in a sitting... he would be fed one & i would freeze the other.... gave me a great store of milk for adding to food when introducing solids & also kept my supply up in a highly stressful period of my life!

Any impact on bfing, supply and managing bfing when not at work?  we had some dramas with attachment from bottle to breast.  we solved this by making sure the avent teat went far back into his mouth & he was actually attaching to the wider part of the teat, not just sucking on the end... if let just suck on the end he would mash my nipple at the next feed!  continued to feed whenever i was not working.

I successfully continued to breastfeed for 12 months when he self weaned.

hope this helps inspire someone!!! it can be done with a positive attitude & commitment.

The only thing that would have been handy was a second pump as when i had to express twice in a shift i had to ask staff to wash & steralise the pump before the next pumping session... lucky i am the boss & i had great supportive staff!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recall: Another cot deemed unsafe

Parents are being warned to check their baby's cot is not one of those which have been recalled in recent weeks due to safety concerns.

The truth about breastfeeding and weightloss

Celebrities often state that their post-baby weight loss is down to breastfeeding, and breastfeeding alone. But that's not the reality for all women.

10 weird things little kids do

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. It's usually nothing to worry about, but every now and again you might find yourself scratching your head and asking, ?Really? Is that really a thing??

The app that helps detect signs of autism

Parents can assess their children's progress at critical developmental stages, thanks to this new app.

Long battle to learn the truth about Ariana's birth

Cerise and Tim Lawn spent two years fighting to find out how a healthy pregnancy turned into a nightmare birth, and why their daughter now suffers from disabilities she shouldn't have.

Christina Aguilera announces daughter's name

Christina Aguilera and her fiance, Matt Rutler, have welcomed their daughter into the world.

Couple caught in surrogacy crackdown

An Australian couple caught up in Thailand's surrogacy crackdown have said many parents are distraught and facing dire financial difficulties as are they are unable to bring their surrogate-born babies home.

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

5 co-sleeping myths busted

In case you are co-sleeping with your baby, and all the ?helpful? advice from others is sending you down the slippery slope of self-doubt, let?s bust a few myths on the topic.

When pregnancy takes you down memory lane

One mum-to-be discovers pregnancy hormones can give rise to some surprising emotions.

What?s your love language?

The secret to making your partner feel special is to know which language of love they favour ? and it?s the same for your kids, too.

Returning to exercise after a caesarean

I had my daughter four months ago via caesarean, and I want to get back into exercise. What are some good first steps I can take?

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Whether they're out of favour traditional names, or the parents were a little creative, here are the least popular names of 2013.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.