How much to pay a friend to house sit and dog sit?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JHC

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

We are going on a holiday for 10 nights and wanted to ask a friend(about 25 years old) to house sit and dog sit our 3 dogs. The friend will have full use of the house - heating, cooling, washing machine, everything , she will also need to feed and give TLC to 3 small dogs. She won't need to walk them. She will need to buy most of her own food as only the basics will be available.

We have looked at a dog resort and they seem to be quoting $31 per day per dog, hence me looking at other alternatives. We have 2 cats that we will be sending to the cat resort to have their own holiday away from the dogs original.gif

So how much would you pay her?

#2 The-Missus

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Um, nothing.

Everyone that I've known who has been asked to house sit has been provided with all the things you've listed ... they are effectively getting free rent and in some cases food.

I just assume that house sitting was a win/win situation for both parties.

So, I personally wouldn't offer any money but certainly a small gift when you return wouldn't go astray.

Edited by The-Missus, 19 January 2011 - 03:54 PM.

#3 PurpleNess

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I paid my live in house sitter $15 a day, which was darn cheap if you ask me. I'd say 20-25 a day would be a fair price, she gets a holiday too!

#4 Pinkk_Sprinkkles

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:53 PM

Does she have her own place or does she live at home?

If at home I wouldn't pay her any thing, she'd probably be happy to hae a break!

If she had her own place, maybe $20 a day?

#5 fr0g

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

We had a friend stay for 10 days.  It was like a holiday for him; we didn't pay him anything but we stocked the fridge with Coopers Pale Ale and the freezer with frozen pizzas.

We bought him a gift and he was stoked.  He has subsequently sit for us since, so no dramas from his perspective.

We asked him to feed our menagerie and exercise our dog daily, which he did.  

He's awesome!

#6 ZombieFerretOfDoom

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (The-Missus @ 19/01/2011, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, nothing.

Everyone that I've know who has been asked to house sit has been provided with all the things you've listed ... they are effectively getting free rent and in some cases food.

I just assume that house sitting was a win/win situation for both parties.

So, I personally wouldn't offer any money but certainly a small gift when you return wouldn't go astray.

This - I've never paid a friend to house/pet sit.

The people I've asked have always been ones that I know would benefit - ones who were living with parents and would enjoy having a place to themselves, or who worked near my house and would have a drastically reduced commute, etc. They benefit from living in my home, I benefit from having someone in my home and (when I had them) looking after my pets.

I do always bring them a gift when I come back from holidays, but that's it. Everyone that I've asked to housesit has leapt at the chance to do it again, so they don't seem to feel hard done by.

#7 ~cake~

Posted 19 January 2011 - 03:58 PM

I had a friend and her little family housesit for us for 4 nights recently. They had to feed our dog and cat for us. We paid them nothing, but I did leave out chocolate, glossy mags, and some beer for them as a thank you. I also gave them free reign on anything they could find in the pantry etc.  

They are currently living with her parents and it's a but cramped and difficult, so they were thrilled with the break.

#8 miinii

I would think nothing! I wouldnt accept any money if a friend asked me to do this

#9 RichardParker

I've done a fair bit of house-sitting and I used to charge between $10-20 per day depending on how much there was to do.

Even though there are benefits, it is actually quite an inconvenience to house-sit for someone, particularly for a short period of 10 days or so - there's quite a bit of disruption involved.

Paying money also removes any 'favour' aspect to the arrangement, so you don't owe them anything in return.

#10 emmej

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (may-b-baby @ 19/01/2011, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If at home I wouldn't pay her any thing, she'd probably be happy to have a break!

If she had her own place, maybe $20 a day?

This!  I always ask people who are living with parents or share housing as I know they appreciate the break!

#11 jfl

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

It depends on the situation.  If she is paying rent or a mortgage, and you are not providing food, and your house is not like a holiday (eg on the beach or in the country), then I think $25 -30 a day is reasonable, especially as it is for 10 days. A weekend - maybe a nice gift would be fine.

Also, it is worth sorting out things like whether she is going to use your phone and internet, and if you have any objection to her having friends around.

#12 JHC

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

She lives with her parents, who just got back together after seperating early last year. Her home life is a little stressful atm and she jumped at the chance to house sit when it was mentioned.

Our house is probably the same distance to her work just in the other direction to where her family home is.

#13 fairymagic

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

I would probably offer at least $20 per day - after all you're saving a fortune by not kennelling your pets. We paid a family member once $30 for a weekend but that was all they would take because we are family. She does it as a job with regular clients and Im guessing she is paid more than $20 per day to do it when she does it.

Yes they are getting free reign of the house but like PP have stated, if she is normally living at home and is expected to still pay board there plus she is obviously going to be paying for her food at your house, I think some compensation is warranted. She may refuse any money anyway but I think it would be nice to offer. Perhaps if she does refuse you could stock up on some "luxury" food items in the pantry or perhaps either give her a voucher for your local DVD rental place?

#14 sassymummy

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

Nothing. lol.

It'd be like a vacation for me to go stay in someone elses home... and getting to snuggle their pets would be an added bonus!

With your extra details about her living with her parents and life being stressful, and again with the distance from her work... I'd say nothing is more than satisfactory.

However, if you want to be sweet, maybe you could give her a bulk lot of money... like, hand over a sum of money as a thank-you, or get her a thank you gift.

Or maybe load the pantry with some yummy treats and let her know she's welcome to them - like lollies, chips, soft drink, etc.

Or get her a voucher to be massaged?

I dunno, I think it'd be nice to get her something as a thank you, but not so much officially paying her... kwim?

#15 CZ1

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:15 PM

At minimum I would suggest a gift but I think it would be kind of rude to just expect that they'll do everything you ask and not be compensated for her time and effort.

I doubt she would expect the $900 you would have to pay elsewhere but I'm sure you are just looking for a more economical alternative - not to expect a freebie from a friend. Perhaps $15-$20 per day?

#16 ~elle~

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:23 PM

I've done house sitting a few times - while at Uni and beyond living with mum & dad.
I was glad of the change and several times I got a gift which was lovely.
I think I would have been very embarrassed to get given cash - so I'd go with a lovely gift.
Maybe a giftcard to itunes or something with a long expiry.
Recently there was a thread about gift cards to local beauty salons for facials etc that only had a 6 month used by date - so check first!!

#17 Stained

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have never heard of anyone being paid to house sit...
I recently rang a local business that come to your house and feed/walk your dogs and it was $20 a day, just to give you an idea of what that is worth...

#18 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:46 PM

We paid our house/dogs/cat/parrots/finches sitter $500 for the week that we were on holiday last year.

Well worth the money in my opinion especially when she had to feed the finches their daily intake of termites.  biggrin.gif

#19 QuisbySchmoo

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

cclap.gif Silentmoose.

We pay a house sitter (which is really a menagerie sitter in our case) for the job.  I also do not understand why anyone should feel grateful for having the opportunity to look after your house or animals.  How bizarre to have that thought.

#20 jfl

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:25 PM

I agree, Silentmoose.  As I said in my PP, unless your house is the equivalent of a holiday destination, spending 10 days in someone else's house looking after 3 dogs is hardly being done a favour.  Especially when you still have to buy food. I do think that is stingy when the homeowners are being saved hundreds of dollars in boarding fees.

10 days means you can't just pop a few things in an overnight bag, especially if you are working as she apparently is. And, in someone else's house it takes a few days just to work out where everything is and how everything works - I once minded a friend's place where I never did figure out where some of the light switches were, and it took a few days to work out the heating/cooling system. These things are not a big deal, but it is not the comforts of home either.

It may be that this friend is not having a good time at home just now because of her parents - but taking advantage of that to get out of paying her (bearing in mind the savings) would be pretty stingy.

#21 tanny76

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:27 PM

Ive never paid a housesitter/dogsitter..  we just make sure the fridge is fully stocked and let them eat and drink whatever is in the house biggrin.gif

#22 **Kaz**

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:32 PM

My ex husband's Aunty use to come and house/dog sit for us while we went away I paid her nothing.  However I always bought her a gift back.  Plus made up meals for her, slices, cakes, and stocked the fridge up with soft drink, vegetables, fruit, meat etc.

#23 JHC

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:34 PM

eeeek I don't know what to do now happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.