EB Sewing and Quilting Group Swap Calendar for 2011
Updated with themed sew-along details

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 becanne

Posted 10 January 2011 - 11:29 PM

This thread is so we can keep track of what swaps people are planning throughout the year.

If you are planning something or would like to participate in future swaps then please check the attached thread about swap rules and guidelines.

Link to Swap Rules and Guidelines

To add a swap details to the list just copy the details below into a new post and fill in the required information.

Name: x
Organiser: x
Start: x
Details: x

I will check regularly to include the information on the original post.
(Please PM me if I don’t update something or if I get it wrong!!)

Also, share your ideas, what works well, what has caused issues in the past, what you have seen or participated in on other web groups.....anything really.

Remember to join the Swap Flikr Group and share your swap sewing with everyone!

Happy swapping.

Calendar

In Progress

Name: 'Under the Sea' Sew Along (not a swap)
Organiser: Nayjay
Start: 1st June -start chatting and sewing and sharing sneak peeks
Reveal: 22nd June - Commence sharing photos of finished items. Select person to pick next theme.
Announce new theme: 25th June - Announce next monthly theme
Details: The idea is to inspire and to be inspired.
There will be a monthly theme. At the start of the month the theme will be announced and participants will sew something/anything according to their personal interpretation of the theme. The theme can be used in any way (E.g. using embroidery, appliqué, printed fabric, softy design, etc, etc.) It is open to anything that you want to make that relates to the theme.
Share photos, links and ideas as you sew and then reveal your finished item at the end of the month.
Open to all so just join in the chat thread. See post #4 below for full details
Thread:

June - Under the Sea thread 1

Date Claimers - tentative future swaps

Name: Advent Swap & Xmas Pressie 2011
Organiser: Pennywiggle
Start: July 1st 2011
Details: To make/buy 24 items to be opened each day from Dec 1 thru Dec 24 with a final personal handmade pressie to be opened xmas day by your swapee. More details at time of sign up.

Completed swaps

Name: EB Doll quilt swap #4
Organiser: AJ
Starting date : 30 Aug 2010 (Signups closed)
Posting date: 31st Oct 2010
Details: See first post of the thread for info
Thread: EB DQS4

Name: Christmas theme table-runner swap
Organiser: Yakkers
Starting date: 20 Sept 2010
Posting date: 1st Dec 2010
Details: See first post of thread for info
Thread: Christmas table runner swap

Name: Round Robin Quilting Swap
Organiser: Rose
Starting date: Sign ups close mid Oct 2010. Will run Dec 2010 to July 2011
Posting date: Organiser to send completed blocks back to participants in July 2011
Details: Participants in the Newbie Quilters thread only. Limited to 12 participants. Complete 2 blocks per month.

Name: Potholder Sew/Show/Swap
Organiser: Becanne
Starting date: Dec 2010
Posting date: last week of Feb 2011  Parcels have all been sent back to participants. Link to photos in last post of chat thread
Details: Make some potholders and share your work in the chat group. Swap is optional. Send five potholders to me and I will send you back five random ones each made by a different person. See the thread below for full details.
Thread: Potholder sew/show/swap

Name: Kids' clothing swap
Organiser: SuesZ
Sign-up open: Monday 10 January
Sign-up close: Monday 24 January
Parcels posted by: Wednesday 23 March
Opening day: Thursday 31 March
Details: Secret swap. Make an outfit for you partner's child and someone else will make an outfit for your child. Please see thread link below for full details.
Thread: Kids clothing swap
Chat thread #1
Chat thread #2
Chat thread #3
Opening - photos and chat
Outfit and pattern details thread

Name: 'No buying during April"
Organiser: Nayjay
Details: This is a challenge not a swap.
Join in the chat as everyone tries to use their stash instead of adding to it!
Thread: No buying during April chat thread

Name: Inspire Me!
Organiser: Joy (jgal)
Start: Shopping and put together pack - May 10th 2011
Sewing and sharing: Make your item, chat and share the results between 30th May and 30th June
Details: Buy a pattern, accent fabric and a couple of trimmings/notions to put together an "Inspiration Pack" for your partner, following their colour/style guidelines and what they want to make. This one is an easy one as it's just gathering supplies, but we should then make up our packs into the garment/item in the next month (eg. by June 30th) and post pics in the thread/flickr group. This give people some accountability so they actually make something (adding to the inspiration side of things) plus it will be great to see what everyone does with their pack and perhaps give us all a little more inspiration!
Thread: Inspire Me! sign up thread

Edited by becanne, 31 May 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#2 GeraniumQueen

Posted 22 January 2011 - 01:05 AM

Just adding the link to last year's swaps original.gif

#3 becanne

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:57 PM

I've just tidyed up the last two swaps and moved them into the 'Completed swaps' section.
As there is no action on the swap front at the moment I've added in the April 'no-buying' challenge.

Let me know if anyone is ready to start something new!

#4 nayjay

Posted 29 May 2011 - 03:28 PM

Hi Becanne
Here are the details of the Themed Sew-a-long:

THEMED SEW-A-LONG GUIDELINES
HOW IT WORKS:
The idea is to inspire and to be inspired.
There will be a monthly theme. At the start of the month the theme will be announced and participants will sew something/anything according to their personal interpretation of the theme. The theme can be used in any way (E.g. using embroidery, appliqué, printed fabric, softy design, etc, etc.) It is open to anything that you want to make that relates to the theme.
During the first 3 weeks participants can enter into discussion about the theme, suggest ideas, talk about sewing techniques and add sneak peeks or “show as you sew”.  Inspiration boards can be set up by way of pinterest, flickr or blogs.  In the final week there will be a reveal of the created items. Links to flickr, blogs, etc can be added to the thread. The thread will then stay open so that anyone who needs longer time can add their creation at their own pace. At the end of the month a new thread will be started with a new theme. Participants do not have to be involved in every challenge/theme. If it is a busy month of a tight budget month, etc then it is ok to skip and join in on another month or to just join in on themes that are of interest and are applicable.
NEW THEMES:
A new theme commences on the first day of each month. The new theme will be announced in week 3 of the month. Each month a participant will be chosen (using a random name generator) to choose the new theme. The theme can be chosen from the theme list or can be another theme idea altogether.  It is completely up to the person how they choose the theme. (If you are really unsure about choosing a theme then you can cut and paste the theme list into the random name generator and it will select a theme for you.)  
STARTING DATE
The start date for the first sew-a-long will be the 1st June 2011. The theme is UNDER THE SEA.
OTHER KEY DATES:
22nd of June: New theme selector announced. Reveals of finished items commence.
25th June – New theme announced.
1st May – new theme/thread begins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.