Safer Eating In Pregnancy

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#76 sophiajhon

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:46 PM

thank you so much to share this list with us.
It is very helpful to me.

#77 PandoBox

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:07 PM

I don't know if this thread is still active...I'm TTC...but one thing that is on my mind is what to take to work as lunch while pregnant...or what to buy while at work to consume...

Anyone willing to share what they ate at work?

#78 Wonderstruck

Posted 07 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Left overs from dinner usually. You can make your own salads and sandwiches. So long as you store and heat things well there isn't too much of an issue with things brought from home.

Also lots of snacks. I'm nearing the end of my first trimester and need lots of things handy as with the morning sickness its hard to know what I can stomach.

#79 AlmondButter

Posted 07 August 2016 - 04:40 PM

My pregnancy go to lunch meals at work have been:
- salad with tinned beans & tuna (bought week's supplies & took in to work to assemble in work kitchen
- homemade frozen soups defrosted in work microwave
- toasted sandwich (bring in supermarket supplies such as bread, cheese & melt in work's breville)
- carefully selected takeaway options that are high turnover & cooked to order
- my midwife also said bbq chicken is ok from Coles or woollies if recently cooked. The woollies near my work only does chooks at 11am & 4pm so didn't work with my lunch hour timing but might work for you!

#80 BrettAnderson

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:12 PM

View PostNut, on 10 November 2010 - 02:20 PM, said:

Disclaimer

The information contained within this post is taken from the  NSW Food Authority Website. These are not recommendations written by EB and any  choices you make in regard to food consumption are your own. This is only here to help as a guide line. Should  you require more information, speak to your health care provider. You can view  the full PDF file HERE or look at the NSW Food Authority Website.

What is Listeria?

Listeria is a type of bacteria found in some foods which causes a serious infection called listeriosis. It can take up to six weeks for the flu-like symptoms to occur and if transmitted to your unborn baby can lead to miscarriage, infection of your newborn and stillbirth. The best way to avoid this is through hygienic preparation, storing and handling of food. Ideally, you should eat only freshly cooked food and well-washed, (freshly prepared) fruit and vegetables. Leftovers can be eaten if they are refrigerated promptly and
kept no longer than a day.

These mostly chilled, ready to eat foods should be  avoided altogether:

• Soft and semi-soft cheese (OK if cooked)

• Cold cooked chicken

• Cold processed meats

• Prepared salads

• Raw seafood

• Soft serve ice-cream

• Unpasteurised dairy products

• Paté

Salmonella

Salmonella can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps,  diarrhoea, fever and headache. Pregnant women are not at an increased risk of  contracting salmonellosis, but in rare cases it may trigger miscarriage.

So it’s advisable to avoid foods that contain raw egg and  always cook meat, chicken and eggs thoroughly.

In addition, the  NSW Food Authority recommends that pregnant women do not eat any type of sprout  (including alfalfa sprouts, broccoli sprouts, onion sprouts, sunflower sprouts,  clover sprouts, radish sprouts, snowpea sprouts, mung beans and soybeans) either  raw or lightly cooked.

Other food risks

Toxoplasmosis

Toxoplasmosis while uncommon in pregnant women can occur if  you eat the garden. It is particularly important to avoid  toxoplasmosis during pregnancy undercooked meats, or unwashed fruit and vegetables  (particularly from gardens with household cats). Most commonly, however, infection is  caused by touching cat and dog faeces when cleaning the kitty litter tray or  contaminated soil in because it can lead to brain damage or blindness in your  unborn child.

Tips for avoiding toxoplasmosis:

• Don’t eat undercooked or raw meat

• Don’t drink unpasteurised goat’s milk

• Don’t handle cat litter

• When gardening wear gloves

• Always wash your hands after

touching animals

Mercury in fish

Fish are rich in protein and minerals, low in saturated fat,  and contain Omega 3 Although it’s really  important to eat fish during pregnancy and breastfeeding, you need to be careful  about which fish you choose. That’s because some fish may contain mercury levels  that may harm an unborn baby or young child’s developing nervous system. fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are important for the  development of the central nervous system in babies, before and after they are born.

The following table will  help you safely include fish as an important part of a balanced diet.

Eat 2-3 serves per week of  small fish. Fish should be small enough to fit on a plate.

Examples: Mackerel, Silver  Warehou, Bream, Snapper, Trevally, Whiting, Flathead,

Kingfish, canned Tuna  & Salmon, Herrings, Sardines, shellfish, Lobster, Octopus

OR

1 serve per fortnight of  Shark (Flake) or Billfish (Broadbill, Swordfish and Marlin)

and no other fish that  fortnight

OR

1 serve per week of  Catfish or Orange Roughy (Deep Sea Perch)

and no other fish that  week

Also watch out for…

Alcohol

Drinking alcohol during  pregnancy can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, premature birth

or your baby could be born  with foetal alcohol syndrome (slow growth before and

after birth, and mental  disabilities). As it is not known whether there is a safe level of

drinking during pregnancy  the National Health and Medical Research Council advises

women that it is best not  to drink during pregnancy.

Caffeine

Small amounts of caffeine  are safe during pregnancy but excessive volumes may increase

the risk of miscarriage  and premature birth. Caffeine is in coffee, tea, chocolate and

cola (and some other soft  drinks). NSW Health recommends that pregnant women limit

themselves to 200mg of  caffeine daily. That is 2 cups of ground coffee or 2 1/2 cups

instant coffee, 4 cups  medium-strength tea, 4 cups cocoa/hot chocolate or 6 cups of cola.

Smoking

Smoking is dangerous for  your baby. Smoking increases the risk of premature birth,

low birth weight,  respiratory problems and SIDS. There is no safe level of smoking.

For help to quit smoking  call the Quitline on 131848.

Safer Eating In Pregnancy

Red = Don't Eat

Orange  = Eat with caution

Green = OK

Meat,  Poultry and Seafood

Processed Meats - Ham, salami, luncheon, chicken  meat etc. - Do not eat unless fully cooked.

Raw meat - Any raw  meat, raw chicken or other poultry, beef, pork etc. - Don’t eat

Poultry - Cold  chicken or turkey e.g. used in sandwich bars - Don’t eat

Hot take-away chicken - Purchase freshly cooked,  use immediately, store leftovers in fridge and use within a day of cooking

Home cooked Chicken - Ensure chicken is cooked thoroughly, use immediately  �" store any leftovers in fridge and use within a day of cooking.

Paté-  Refrigerated  paté or meat spreads - Don’t eat

Seafood - Raw seafood  Don’t eat

Ready-to-eat chilled peeled prawns - Don’t eat

Cooked fish and seafood - Cook until steaming hot, eat while hot, store  leftovers in the fridge and use within a day of cooking

Sushi Store-bought - Don’t eat

Home-made - Don’t use raw meat or seafood, eat immediately

Cooked meats - Beef,  pork, chicken, mince - Cook thoroughly,  eat while hot

Dairy  and Eggs

Cheese Soft and semi-soft cheese - brie,  camembert, ricotta, fetta, blue etc. - Don’t eat unless in a fully  cooked dish e.g. spinach and ricotta canneloni

Processed cheese - cheese spreads, cottage  cheese, cream cheese etc. - Store in the fridge, eat within two days of opening  pack

Hard cheese-  e.g. cheddar, tasty cheese - Store in the fridge

Ice cream Soft serve - Don’t eat

Packaged  frozen ice cream - Keep and eat frozen

Unpasturised  Milk - Don’t drink or use

Pasteurised Milk- Keep  refrigerated, drink within ‘use by’ date

Other dairy - Cream,  yoghurt - Check ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ date, keep refrigerated

Custard - Don’t eat unless heated until steaming hot

Eggs - Cook  thoroughly

Vegetable & fruit  Salads

Pre-prepared or pre-packaged  - salads, including fruit salad e.g. from salad bars, smorgasboards  - Don’t eat

Home-made - Wash and dry salad ingredients well just before making  and eating salads, store any leftover salads in fridge and use within a day of  preparation

Fruit - Whole  fresh fruits Wash and dry well before eating

Vegetables and herbs

Fresh vegetables and herbs  - Wash and dry  well just before eating raw or wash before cooking

Frozen vegetables - Cook; don’t eat uncooked

Bean  sprouts - Alfalfa sprouts, broccoli sprouts, onion sprouts, sunflower sprouts,  clover sprouts, radish sprouts, snowpea sprouts, mung beans and soybeans - Don’t  eat raw or lightly cooked

Other foods

Leftovers  - Cooked foods Store leftovers covered in the fridge, eat within a  day and always reheat until steaming hot

Canned  foods - Tinned fruit, vegetables, fish etc. - Store unused portions in  the fridge in clean, sealed containers and use within a day

Stuffing  - Stuffing from chicken or poultry - Don’t eat unless cooked  separately and eat hot

Hummus - Store-bought  or home-made Store in fridge, eat within 2 days of opening/making

Note: Listerosis is killed by heat. You can eat pretty much anything as long as it's cooked thoroughly right through. If you have any concerns about something you have eaten or if you think you may have listeriosis, please contact your doctor.

Hi, Thank you for diet information.

#81 zonnewigham

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:58 PM

does anyone know what the go is with protein powders? i usually use a small amount in a smoothie after a gym workout. its a whey protein powder if that helps

#82 fayJ

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hi! New Here -

I've found this really helpful and wanted to say thanks.

There's so much misleading information regarding what to eat and not eat anymore...

I've found that maintaining an overall vegetarian diet with some meals including fish has made me feel tons better. I get worried about mercury and all that but I find it hard to say no to Tuna/Salmon.

I cook a lot in big batches however and wondered what people's opinions are on freezing/refridgerating food? How long up to?

#83 nikitaa

Posted 17 February 2017 - 06:49 AM

You and your up coming baby need extra nutrients, vitamins and the best way to get them is to eat a wide variety food which contains nutrition and be as healthy as early possible in your pregnancy period.

#84 33&1stTimer

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

Hi All. I can't seem to find any information about Rice salads. My MIL makes an awesome brown rice salad that we have with dinner occasionally just wondering if that is ok. I thinks she either makes it the day before or morning of and it is served cold. I'm pretty sure rice is a high risk food particularly when served cold as it tends to absorb bacteria.

#85 happymezzie

Posted 19 March 2017 - 12:34 AM

Custard - cold from the fridge (store bought) is that okay?

I will miss my soft serve ice creams/yoghurts the most.

I also learned a few things from this post.

It's going to be hard remembering to wash my hands everytime i cuddle my cats. I will not miss cleaning the kitty litter but my husband refuses to clean it.. so either he does or the cats go outside.

#86 Margi8

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:12 PM

Does anyone know if it's safe to buy nuts and dried fruit from farmers markets? I'm making my own protein balls and bars and I'm just wondering if its safe to buy the nuts and fruit when sold loose and not in packets?

#87 Jenflea

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:19 PM

I've never heard of dried fruits and nuts being an issue.

#88 McBumcheeks

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

My sushi cravings have been off the scale the last few days, and I'm only six and a bit weeks in! I almost can't comprehend another 7.5  months without it.

I'm wondering if I can phone ahead find out when the rice and cooked fillings are prepared and go and buy some rolls then to be as safe as possible.

I'm also thinking that sashimi *should* be okay if I buy it fresh from the fish markets (Paddy's) and freeze it straight away for a few days. The NHS seems to think that fresh frozen sashimi-grade salmon is very low-risk for pregnant women. Their guidelines are so much more generous than ours!

I was at a hotel the other day with family after a funeral and my options were salads, deep fried foods or sandwiches. I ended up getting a salad with cold vegetables in it. I thought, if the alternatives are deep-fried foods, that's really not good enough. I know it's a bit iffy, but I refuse to be forced to eat overly bready or oily foods in the effort to try to stay "safe". At the end of the day, everything carries a certain amount of risk, and you have to weigh  that up with the risk of having a diet that is very narrow and doesn't contain a broad spectrum of nutrients. Everything is a trade-off.

Edited by McBumcheeks, 27 September 2017 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.