Safer Eating In Pregnancy

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Nut

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:20 PM

Disclaimer

The information contained within this post is taken from the  NSW Food Authority Website. These are not recommendations written by EB and any  choices you make in regard to food consumption are your own. This is only here to help as a guide line. Should  you require more information, speak to your health care provider. You can view  the full PDF file HERE or look at the NSW Food Authority Website.

What is Listeria?

Listeria is a type of bacteria found in some foods which causes a serious infection called listeriosis. It can take up to six weeks for the flu-like symptoms to occur and if transmitted to your unborn baby can lead to miscarriage, infection of your newborn and stillbirth. The best way to avoid this is through hygienic preparation, storing and handling of food. Ideally, you should eat only freshly cooked food and well-washed, (freshly prepared) fruit and vegetables. Leftovers can be eaten if they are refrigerated promptly and
kept no longer than a day.

These mostly chilled, ready to eat foods should be  avoided altogether:

• Soft and semi-soft cheese (OK if cooked)

• Cold cooked chicken

• Cold processed meats

• Prepared salads

• Raw seafood

• Soft serve ice-cream

• Unpasteurised dairy products

• Paté

Salmonella

Salmonella can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps,  diarrhoea, fever and headache. Pregnant women are not at an increased risk of  contracting salmonellosis, but in rare cases it may trigger miscarriage.

So it’s advisable to avoid foods that contain raw egg and  always cook meat, chicken and eggs thoroughly.

In addition, the  NSW Food Authority recommends that pregnant women do not eat any type of sprout  (including alfalfa sprouts, broccoli sprouts, onion sprouts, sunflower sprouts,  clover sprouts, radish sprouts, snowpea sprouts, mung beans and soybeans) either  raw or lightly cooked.

Other food risks

Toxoplasmosis

Toxoplasmosis while uncommon in pregnant women can occur if  you eat the garden. It is particularly important to avoid  toxoplasmosis during pregnancy undercooked meats, or unwashed fruit and vegetables  (particularly from gardens with household cats). Most commonly, however, infection is  caused by touching cat and dog faeces when cleaning the kitty litter tray or  contaminated soil in because it can lead to brain damage or blindness in your  unborn child.

Tips for avoiding toxoplasmosis:

• Don’t eat undercooked or raw meat

• Don’t drink unpasteurised goat’s milk

• Don’t handle cat litter

• When gardening wear gloves

• Always wash your hands after

touching animals

Mercury in fish

Fish are rich in protein and minerals, low in saturated fat,  and contain Omega 3 Although it’s really  important to eat fish during pregnancy and breastfeeding, you need to be careful  about which fish you choose. That’s because some fish may contain mercury levels  that may harm an unborn baby or young child’s developing nervous system. fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are important for the  development of the central nervous system in babies, before and after they are born.

The following table will  help you safely include fish as an important part of a balanced diet.

Eat 2-3 serves per week of  small fish. Fish should be small enough to fit on a plate.

Examples: Mackerel, Silver  Warehou, Bream, Snapper, Trevally, Whiting, Flathead,

Kingfish, canned Tuna  & Salmon, Herrings, Sardines, shellfish, Lobster, Octopus

OR

1 serve per fortnight of  Shark (Flake) or Billfish (Broadbill, Swordfish and Marlin)

and no other fish that  fortnight

OR

1 serve per week of  Catfish or Orange Roughy (Deep Sea Perch)

and no other fish that  week

Also watch out for…

Alcohol

Drinking alcohol during  pregnancy can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth, premature birth

or your baby could be born  with foetal alcohol syndrome (slow growth before and

after birth, and mental  disabilities). As it is not known whether there is a safe level of

drinking during pregnancy  the National Health and Medical Research Council advises

women that it is best not  to drink during pregnancy.

Caffeine

Small amounts of caffeine  are safe during pregnancy but excessive volumes may increase

the risk of miscarriage  and premature birth. Caffeine is in coffee, tea, chocolate and

cola (and some other soft  drinks). NSW Health recommends that pregnant women limit

themselves to 200mg of  caffeine daily. That is 2 cups of ground coffee or 2 1/2 cups

instant coffee, 4 cups  medium-strength tea, 4 cups cocoa/hot chocolate or 6 cups of cola.

Smoking

Smoking is dangerous for  your baby. Smoking increases the risk of premature birth,

low birth weight,  respiratory problems and SIDS. There is no safe level of smoking.

For help to quit smoking  call the Quitline on 131848.

Safer Eating In Pregnancy

Red = Don't Eat

Orange  = Eat with caution

Green = OK

Meat,  Poultry and Seafood

Processed Meats - Ham, salami, luncheon, chicken  meat etc. - Do not eat unless fully cooked.

Raw meat - Any raw  meat, raw chicken or other poultry, beef, pork etc. - Don’t eat

Poultry - Cold  chicken or turkey e.g. used in sandwich bars - Don’t eat

Hot take-away chicken - Purchase freshly cooked,  use immediately, store leftovers in fridge and use within a day of cooking

Home cooked Chicken - Ensure chicken is cooked thoroughly, use immediately  �" store any leftovers in fridge and use within a day of cooking.

Paté-  Refrigerated  paté or meat spreads - Don’t eat

Seafood - Raw seafood  Don’t eat

Ready-to-eat chilled peeled prawns - Don’t eat

Cooked fish and seafood - Cook until steaming hot, eat while hot, store  leftovers in the fridge and use within a day of cooking

Sushi Store-bought - Don’t eat

Home-made - Don’t use raw meat or seafood, eat immediately

Cooked meats - Beef,  pork, chicken, mince - Cook thoroughly,  eat while hot

Dairy  and Eggs

Cheese Soft and semi-soft cheese - brie,  camembert, ricotta, fetta, blue etc. - Don’t eat unless in a fully  cooked dish e.g. spinach and ricotta canneloni

Processed cheese - cheese spreads, cottage  cheese, cream cheese etc. - Store in the fridge, eat within two days of opening  pack

Hard cheese-  e.g. cheddar, tasty cheese - Store in the fridge

Ice cream Soft serve - Don’t eat

Packaged  frozen ice cream - Keep and eat frozen

Unpasturised  Milk - Don’t drink or use

Pasteurised Milk- Keep  refrigerated, drink within ‘use by’ date

Other dairy - Cream,  yoghurt - Check ‘best before’ or ‘use by’ date, keep refrigerated

Custard - Don’t eat unless heated until steaming hot

Eggs - Cook  thoroughly

Vegetable & fruit  Salads

Pre-prepared or pre-packaged  - salads, including fruit salad e.g. from salad bars, smorgasboards  - Don’t eat

Home-made - Wash and dry salad ingredients well just before making  and eating salads, store any leftover salads in fridge and use within a day of  preparation

Fruit - Whole  fresh fruits Wash and dry well before eating

Vegetables and herbs

Fresh vegetables and herbs  - Wash and dry  well just before eating raw or wash before cooking

Frozen vegetables - Cook; don’t eat uncooked

Bean  sprouts - Alfalfa sprouts, broccoli sprouts, onion sprouts, sunflower sprouts,  clover sprouts, radish sprouts, snowpea sprouts, mung beans and soybeans - Don’t  eat raw or lightly cooked

Other foods

Leftovers  - Cooked foods Store leftovers covered in the fridge, eat within a  day and always reheat until steaming hot

Canned  foods - Tinned fruit, vegetables, fish etc. - Store unused portions in  the fridge in clean, sealed containers and use within a day

Stuffing  - Stuffing from chicken or poultry - Don’t eat unless cooked  separately and eat hot

Hummus - Store-bought  or home-made Store in fridge, eat within 2 days of opening/making

Note: Listerosis is killed by heat. You can eat pretty much anything as long as it's cooked thoroughly right through. If you have any concerns about something you have eaten or if you think you may have listeriosis, please contact your doctor.

#2 *mylittleprince*

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for posting. Hopefully the members bragging about the wrong foods they ate during pregnancy will read this.

#3 ChantelM

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:37 AM

Thanks for the list. There were a couple of things on there that I thought were ok to eat.

I have heard conflicting stories about prawns. The last I heard was that a cooked prawn was ok to eat. Now I feel guilty. I did only eat a couple though. I think I will stay clear unless they are hot now. Is that ok?

And Custard. I haven't had any yet but wouldn't have even thought about that being bad.

#4 Nut

Posted 12 November 2010 - 07:18 AM

Might be referring to egg custard. I think if you make it fresh using a packet mix or buy the premade ones they should be OK, much like mayonaise. I am not sure on that one though so perhaps it's worth asking about for those who really want custard.

Seafood - Raw seafood Don’t eat

Ready-to-eat chilled peeled prawns - Don’t eat

Cooked fish and seafood - Cook until steaming hot, eat while hot, store leftovers in the fridge and use within a day of cooking

I would say this means that chilled prawns (raw or cooked) should not be eaten but hot cooked prawns are OK.

#5 Podlettte

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

with the mayonaise in jars form the supermarket question...

does that include whole egg mayo and the japanese Kewpie mayo (in the teardrop shaped squeezey bottle)?

I'm avoiding them anyway, but my favourite dish is Okonomiyaki and it requires the kewpie mayo on top, if it's not ok and whole egg mayo in a jar is ok, then yay! original.gif

oh and Ham off the bone cooked pre or post slicing?

Edited by Podlettte, 15 November 2010 - 09:41 PM.

#6 Nut

Posted 16 November 2010 - 10:00 PM

I believe (and note I am no expert on the subject so I am not in any way suggesting anything is OK, just my own interpretation) that jars of mayo are OK because they are pasturised and go through processes to kill off pathogens and so forth. It's more fresh mayo made with raw eggs that they recommend you avoid.

Same with meat. Needs to be hot when you're eating it. If you cook it before slicing it but eat it immediately the bacteria will be killed off. If you cook it and stick it in the fridge, heat it up before you eat it.

#7 Podlettte

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

Thanks Nut, appreciate your comments and of course understand you're not an expert etc.  I'll double check with my Dr when I speak with her next, or the ante natal clinic when I book in.

I've printed off the food authority thing for my DH and will laminate to stick on the fridge and also for my parents (who are doing chrissy lunch this year).

#8 sam_gamgee

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:10 PM

My understanding re meats etc - a temperature of 70C kills listeria.  So meat that has been cooked to that temp doesn't have to be eaten hot, but should be eaten within 24 hours of cooking.  (Obviously should also be refrigerated properly.)  I can't see any problem with (say) a sandwich for lunch made with cold roast beef straight from the fridge, that was cooked the night before.

Edited by sam_gamgee, 23 November 2010 - 09:13 PM.

#9 missmama

Posted 15 December 2010 - 11:43 AM

This is soooo interesting.. thanks for the info original.gif

#10 Tilly77

Posted 27 December 2010 - 08:16 PM

great info, thank you

does anyone know the concern about Hommus?

#11 MBMK

Posted 05 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Just a quick one - I'm newly pregnant (5 weeks) and stupidly ate roast chicken from the supermarket today and yesterday in my sandwich. It was quite cool and I had it with mayo  oomg2.gif

At the time I avoided ham due to the risks and assumed the chicken was ok because it had been 'cooked' now I'm worried of the damage I may have caused...

What do you think??

#12 Nut

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

MBMK - Try not to freak out. The mayo is not a likely concern if it was in a jar from the supermarket (and eggs are only a risk of food poisoning, not listeria so they are not as great a concern).

The chances of getting listeria are very very low. The guidelines are there not because you HAVE to follow them, but they are the foods recommended be avoided because of everything, they carry the highest chances. But you can eat 500 wheels of brie and not get anything.

I am not saying everyone should go out and gorge on all these things, just that chances are you're fine and should not get too stressed about making a mistake.

I ate a mcflurry, I had brie and a few other things you shouldn't have in pregnancy. Plus at least at this stage the placenta is not functional so the baby is not getting anything directly from you. If you did by chance contract listeria it's probably not as likely to cause harm now, but later in pregnancy can be very nasty.

This is just my general opinion though. I am not trained in medicine and this certainly can't be taken as gospel. But try not to stress about this. The risk is marginal. It exists, but it's marginal.

#13 TwinMumNat

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:27 PM

Hi everyone

I work outside the home and am concerned about what to eat for lunch.

I am wondering whether it is safe to eat salad from a bag if I wash it and dry it again myself.
What about a salad Ive prepared for lunch the night before?

Is it risky to eat a salad sandwich prepared for you from a very clean canteen?

With my two previous pregnancies I gained 30 kg (granted one was a twin pregnancy) and I dont want to gain that amount again! But I am terrified of listeria....Any advice?

#14 Teeny Bopper

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hi all,

I'm not pregnant yet, but have read that while TTC you should behave as though you ARE already pregnant... especially during the 2WW. Generally my diet is pretty good and since we started TTC i have given up coffee, soft drinks, sandwich meats, diet yoghurts, and nurofen. I don't drink or smoke so that's an added bonus. I have a few questions regarding the following during pregnancy....

Soy milk??  - i have read so many conflicting reports. Some say it's fine others say that the phytoestrogens (?) it contains may negatively effect the baby. I don't like regular cows milk and am concerned about my calcium intake. I've switched to full-fat yoghurt but only eat a small amount per day.

Protein Powder??  Not the meal replacement stuff formulated for weight loss, I mean the full on protein powder that body-builders use. I have a massive tub of it left over from my training days and have it with soy milk a few times a week as a quick and easy lunch. Are there any particular ingredients i should check for that need to be avoided??

TIA original.gif

#15 silverbubble

Posted 15 February 2011 - 03:46 PM

hi,
just wondering if salami is ok to eat on pizza?
Thanks... i love pepperoni pizza!

#16 glowlight

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:11 AM

QUOTE (Princess Teeny @ 03/02/2011, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi all,

I'm not pregnant yet, but have read that while TTC you should behave as though you ARE already pregnant... especially during the 2WW. Generally my diet is pretty good and since we started TTC i have given up coffee, soft drinks, sandwich meats, diet yoghurts, and nurofen. I don't drink or smoke so that's an added bonus. I have a few questions regarding the following during pregnancy....

Soy milk??  - i have read so many conflicting reports. Some say it's fine others say that the phytoestrogens (?) it contains may negatively effect the baby. I don't like regular cows milk and am concerned about my calcium intake. I've switched to full-fat yoghurt but only eat a small amount per day.

Protein Powder??  Not the meal replacement stuff formulated for weight loss, I mean the full on protein powder that body-builders use. I have a massive tub of it left over from my training days and have it with soy milk a few times a week as a quick and easy lunch. Are there any particular ingredients i should check for that need to be avoided??

TIA original.gif

I don't drink Cow's milk or soy but I drink rice milk and it's fortified with calcium. Sesame seeds also have calcium in them as lots of other foods. I've read that soy can impact on fertility so I avoided it when TTC.

#17 aphraell

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:41 AM

There are mixed reports about soy, but from personal experience i have not found that a little bit causes problems. I am dairy intolerant so any milk I have (usually a decaf coffee and a couple of cups of tea) is soy milk. I also have a bit of tofu and eat she eps yoghurt(for extra calcium source). I fell pregnant first cycle both times.

#18 Duck-o-lah

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

does anyone know the concern about Hommus?
I can't see why hommus would be a problem. I think they key is to eat while fresh, much like everything during pregnancy. I wouldn't think twice about using hommus that has been in the fridge a week after opening, but while pregnant I would be more strict on how long after opening I would eat anything.

#19 Becky86

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (sam_gamgee @ 23/11/2010, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My understanding re meats etc - a temperature of 70C kills listeria. So meat that has been cooked to that temp doesn't have to be eaten hot, but should be eaten within 24 hours of cooking. (Obviously should also be refrigerated properly.) I can't see any problem with (say) a sandwich for lunch made with cold roast beef straight from the fridge, that was cooked the night before.

I agree, i will think twice about a couple things eg. cheese's n dairy, but eating left over cold meat from the night before?? if its cooked properly to begin with & stored in fridge properly i dont see the problem. Totally agree with sam_gamgee on this one!

#20 illia

Posted 03 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

What is the risk with bean sprouts, mung beans, etc?

#21 Nut

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

Meats - Listeria is one of the only bacteria that thrives in the fridge and will grow faster in acold environment. The recommendation is to only eat meat HOT. Suggests that home cooked cold meats is not a go. You can cook it, cool it quickly in the fridge for a few minutes and then eat it, but should not eat it after it's been sitting for a while, refrigerated or not.

Soy - There are suggestions that soy is not a good option for anyone. It supposedly has a property that is close to oestrogen and can have negative hormonal effects.

Have you tried Zymil? It's sweeter than normal cows milk. Otherwise there is rice milk or goats milk. Maybe try some of the other options if you wish to avoid soy.

Beans/sprouts etc - I am not 100% sure but I was told by a nutritonist to avoid packaged salad products, even just bags of loose lettuce. I expect it's for the same reason.

#22 Miss Kitty-Cat

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:11 PM

Interesting article:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/home-cook-fined-...0502-1e57p.html

Shows you do have to be careful.

#23 Mom135

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:54 PM

Excellent info, thanks

#24 porkchop's mama

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:08 AM

My first decaf skim cauppucino with only 1 tsp of raw sugar is not going down well.

It's only been weeks but I miss sushi so much.....

#25 .MrsM.

Posted 11 August 2011 - 01:33 AM

im a bit confused about whether what you eat or drink in the 2ww will affect your chances of a successful cycle? i read somewhere that it does not take any nutrients from the mother for a few weeks? shrug.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

6 things I didn't expect as a parent

From weird smells to dangerous opinions, painful body parts to numbness, here are a few things new mums and dads can expect.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.