Caesarstone benchtops
are they all they are cracked up to be?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mulafamily

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:59 PM

Help! We are renovating our kitchen and looking at putting in a caesarstone top in 'Linen'. Gloss white doors. I have come across a few forums on the web, mostly american, that give caesarstone really bad reviews. We thought it was going to be a really good product - hard wearing and good looking. What are your thoughts?

Second question is what 'edge profile' to go for? We have little kids so I don't want a real straight finish but not real rounded either? Photos would be great if you have any wink.gif

Thanks everyone!!

#2 Keddie

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

No idea how to upload photos sorry...

We have caesarstone and it IS lovely but I wouldn't rave about it.  It's good - DH put a very hot dish on it and it cracked (as it would) and the crack disappeared by the next day.  It's been 3years and I still can't find where it cracked.  However, it has also chipped in several places.  Due to the colour you cant see them AT ALL but you can feel them.  Only about 6 chips in the entire bench (about 3m worth) and they are tiny.
Overall, depending on the quotes you get I would say the look is great and the care is easy - but it can get pricey so I wouldn't go nuts on big bux.  Ours cost around $1800 I think and I wouldn't pay anymore than that!

As for corners I don't know what it's called - but the edge is shaved off so it's not round but not sharp.  eg. look at the top edge and shave it off in a straight cut.  It's nice - I think rounded is a little dated and the cleaner lines a bit more modern - but without the sharp edge that could take an eye out!  i have a 12mth old and expecting number 2 so bit early for me to advise how well my forward planning has gone  wink.gif

#3 Luckyseven

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

The only thing I find is it is hard to keep clean, maybe its the light colour we have but a friend of mine has the black and has the same problem. To clean you have to wipe and then dry it so it doesnt leave streaks, its the vain of my existence right now and annoys me so much!

The edges are quite straight and my 2.5 yr old is just at that height where its at head level and he has hit it a few times unfortunately but the older 2 are fine.

#4 tothebeach

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

Ours were fine till our 1 year old started to poke his fork repeatedly into the benchtop.  It now has little pitts.  They are not really noticable though even though ours is plain white.

I wipe it all the time but it takes an effort for it to look really clean.  Again, maybe because it is white.

#5 Frau Farbissina

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

We just got it installed in our new kitchen a few weeks ago... So far so good. We were told definitely don't place anything hot straight off the stove or out of the oven directly onto it, and to clean it with windex. I haven't used windex as ours is practically all White and I haven't noticed any streaking. But it might be worth a go luckyseven.

#6 Luckyseven

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

45TR1D: Thanks for the tip, I do use the Windex surface and glass, its the only thing I have found to work, although I have to make sure I wipe it till its dry with the paper towel. I wish someone had told me that when I built my house lol, it took me about 6 months to figure it out  biggrin.gif

#7 tothebeach

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:29 PM

clean it with windex

Thank you for that.  I will have to give it a try as I was sick of the white surface looking slightly grotty and streaky even though I had already wiped it 57 times that day.

#8 Amanda_R

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

It's pretty good, definitely has its positives.  Not porous, repairable, wide range of colours, etc.  But it is pricey, and generally more so than granite.  I also think that it works better in lighter colours, the darker colours really lack the depth of natural stone.   One thing you have to be careful with with the light colours is staining, obviously a common sense approach is needed.

As for edging, I'd go with a bevelled edge (what ChaCHING! is talking about) or a small pencil round, definitely not bullnose.  Bevelled has a slightly higher chance of chipping, bullnose is dated, a small pencil round is probably the best.  It's only a really small rounded edge and tends to hide joins better.  I think it's probably the least likely to date also.

Overall I think it has it's place.  I tend to prefer it for lighter colours, but darker I'm more a fan of granite.  I also prefer the higher gloss on a granite than what can be achieved with CS (although some don't like high gloss at all), and I think granite has more of a variety with finish (polished/glossy, honed and the other one I can't think of lol).

#9 babatjie

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:32 PM

We have Essa stone bench tops.  http://www.essastone.com.au/#/home They are great and I would recommend them.  I'm not sure if they're different to Caesar stone.

We have straight edges.  It's the only thing I would change.  I still like the look of it, but I guess that it would be a super sharp corner to hit your head against. I would probably have to put something on it to protect DSs head.

#10 mulafamily

Posted 09 November 2010 - 12:55 PM

thanks everyone! now to pick a colour...

#11 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:46 PM

We have had Essa Stone as well - similar to Caesar Stone.  with a 40mm pencil edge.  3 years on, it's going great, no chips and still shiny.

We're building next year and will be going for a stone benchtop again (composite, like Essa or Caesar)

#12 Sal D

Posted 09 November 2010 - 02:05 PM

Just thought I would put it out there...Enjo is fantastic for keeping your benchtop clean. No streaking & no chemicals.

Green Glove, followed by the green kitchen miracle.  Easy.

Sal

#13 Tildababy

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:04 PM

My brother makes kitchens and he used bella stone recently and said it is fantastic!! You can mould it to a sink and route in drain lines...any marks can be fixed. I will have to ask my friend who had it installed how it is handling day to day life but only heard positives so far...and bonus is cheaper than caesar stone

#14 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:09 PM

For a cheaper alternative than Enjo, I find my Chux glass and windows microfibre cloth does a great job on our caesarstone bench. It's also fantastic for a non-streaky finish on my stainless fridge, oven and stove. It's about $5. I got two of them so I always have one clean and dry.

#15 TheGreenSheep

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:18 PM

Was coming in to say Ive found that microfibre is a great cleaner with the CS. Also if its really stubborn I use magic erasers, those microfibre pads to really get the marks off, brings back that feeling of stone under your fingers. Also you can use a little bleach on them for stubborn marks and stains like red wine and citrus and carrots.

#16 unicorn

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:22 PM

I had terazzo, I think it was called, for my bench tops and the stuff is virtually indestructible, I used to always pull stuff out of the oven and put it straight on the bench, the kids where always cutting things on it, it was tough. When I remodelled my kitchen I actually kept a piece of it that I put on little stoppers beside the hot plate to use for putting hot stuff on. it wasn't very thick, 10mm and the edges were straight with the sharp edges filed so it was only very slightly rounded, Ex picked it up from Grays auctions in Sydney. The whole kitchen was only around $3000 so the benches wouldn't be that expensive.

#17 sunshinedays

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:56 PM

my parents renovated their kitchen recently and put caeserstone benches in. They had trouble when it came to fit their gas cook-top - it was too close to the benchtops/splash back. As caeserstone is highly flammable they had to forgo the gas cooktop.

I would be worried about having a highly flammable surface in my kitchen of all places. I would also be worried about all the glue etc used to bond it, if their ever was a housefire i'd be concerned that the fumes would be really toxic.

that said... it looks nice enough.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.