FIFO Buddy Group #4

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#76 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

No idea if DH will be home for Xmas, we're hoping he may have some time off but we'll see original.gif

He doesn't have a set roster being a contractor and it will depend on whether the job they are doing at that time is finished.

Currently he's been away 3 weeks and they're having to extend the job another week or so.

Luckily there's wifi so we use FaceTime most nights.

Tracieleigh, I'm surprised so many people FIFO from interstate. Loosing the 2 days traveling was something we took into consideration, and gave us the push to move to WA.

#77 Tracieleigh

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

We have spoken about moving to WA. However, I have all my family in NSW and we are not planning on doing this forever, so it seems unfair to the kids to change schools etc.

Extra time with him home would be a bonus though original.gif

#78 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

We have a teenage daughters as well as a toddler and the idea of moving from QLD horrified my eldest DD but even she likes it better here original.gif

We didn't have family in QLD though, but I really do like Perth and with my DH always away it's easier to be here so we can see him when he is home!

Plus there's the bonus of cheap airfares to Asia etc original.gif

#79 *dingo*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

DH has been home for nearly 8 weeks since his job finished up over in Karratha...  blink.gif He NEEDS another job... NOW  hands.gif  He is driving me nuts... LOL... After 5 years of only having him here for a week or two & now he 'lives' here... Bloody hell! What a re-adjustment!

#80 Tracieleigh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

Bit of a shock to the system lol?
Mine irritates me so much the first couple of days he's home, but I miss him like crazy when he's gone.
I don't know how I will go readjusting if he comes back to work in a "normal" job.

#81 Lavendyr

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:04 AM

I just joined this group..hoping it's active. I have searched high and low for a support type group for Mom's w/ husbands who work away! I am in Canada and my husband works on other side of country for 6-8 weeks away at a time then usually home 1-2 weeks. I have 2 kids (1 month old and 2.5 year old). Is this group active, are there any other ones??

#82 *dingo*

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

Hi Lavendyr.... It is a slow moving group but its active... LOL I'm Jaki & my DH was over in Western Australia which is the other side of the country to me. We have 3 kids, a 9yr old & twin 7yr olds. He has just finished on a project & is busy applying for more FIFO work. He is driving me nuts!!! I am not used to him being here cramping my style I tell you! LOL

Tracieleigh - Its a huge shock to the system! LOL. Its getting a bit desperate now as I don't work & we don't recieve FTB-A or B... The money/savings is slowly depleting with nothing coming in. Along with DH, I have started to reapply for work to try & get some money coming in. Its hard when I have been out of the workforce since I was pregnant with our 9yr old... My resume isn't looking spectacular.. LOL

#83 Lavendyr

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (*dingo* @ 20/01/2013, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Lavendyr.... It is a slow moving group but its active... LOL I'm Jaki & my DH was over in Western Australia which is the other side of the country to me. We have 3 kids, a 9yr old & twin 7yr olds. He has just finished on a project & is busy applying for more FIFO work. He is driving me nuts!!! I am not used to him being here cramping my style I tell you! LOL

Tracieleigh - Its a huge shock to the system! LOL. Its getting a bit desperate now as I don't work & we don't recieve FTB-A or B... The money/savings is slowly depleting with nothing coming in. Along with DH, I have started to reapply for work to try & get some money coming in. Its hard when I have been out of the workforce since I was pregnant with our 9yr old... My resume isn't looking spectacular.. LOL

I am not being notified by email when someone posts and I forgot to check..is there a way I can be notified if someone posts on this thread? Would like to be connected w/ some others in similar situations! My husband just told me today he will be home probably 2 months or so in the spring (means no work) which is stressful as of course it will be nice to have him home but $$$ is tight if none coming in for couple months!!

#84 *dingo*

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:03 PM

I can't help you with email notifications Lavendyr... I'm useless with the computer..LOL But, yes, when they stop work it is a stress... It was ok for the past 3 months as when DH left he got a great payout as he had been there so long. It seems he may have got work up on Curtis Island, off Gladstone QLD. When he starts is another question... Waiting, waiting, waiting....

#85 ~ky~

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:17 AM

Does anyone know anything about Renison Bell in Tasmania? DH has been asked to apply for a position there which would mean we would relocate from WA ...

#86 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

Wow Ky, that would be a big move!

Sorry can't help you with that mine original.gif

Hopefully someone else knows.

#87 ~ky~

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:07 AM

The move is off ... DH has decided to stay on the exploration side with the diamond drilling rather than go back to nippering/service crew etc, so, we're staying here.

We have just got a lease on a tiny little falling down fibro cottage another half an hour south of Perth from where we are now - it means we will be saving $250 a week in rent which means we will be able to build our house in around 4 years with a minimal mortgage rather than try to do it now and be up to our eyeballs in debt! We're all feeling really positive about the move as it is the first step towards our first exciting goal and the first step towards DH eventually being able to get a job based back in Perth and stopping fifo work.

So, all big changes for us coming up!

#88 mumofsugarandspice

Posted 23 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Hi everyone, I am glad I found this group. My partner and I have been together for 1 year and he works fifo. Currently he is on a 4/1 roster as a pipe welder and looks like this is the way it will be at least for a couple of years. We are a blended family, I have 2 daughters, he has 2 sons and we have just started trying to conceive one together. I am so excited but so nervous because I know it may be tricky given his roster!

#89 arac4

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

Hi, newbie here, both to the site and FIFO. DH has started the process and looks like all will be a go and on site in the next 4 weeks.
We have two children 4 & 8 and I work full time. At this stage I'm looking forward to it all, have done something similar a little while back. Nice to have found this site and read others experiences original.gif

#90 ~ky~

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:03 AM

DH is on his third swing back Nippering - now at Agnew. He's really happy. He has a bunch of mates from all areas of the mine, is going to the gym daily for circuits and kick boxing and enjoying the work.

The company has put off 130 workers this week, including some really experienced guys and there are more to come. I'm glad that with the current uncertainty that we are living frugally.

Hearing him so happy every day when we talk makes me happy too. Makes up for the drop in pay he took for the transfer.

#91 BooMooo

Posted 12 August 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hi, newbie here

My DP is working in Melb and I'm in Qld. We treat it as our own FIFO but he only comes home about one weekend each month.

I'm thinking of moving down to be with him, as I miss him so much and it makes TTC a bit hard.  My concern now though is mat leave.  I don't want to throw away my mat leave where I am, but I don't want to put my life on hold either.  Argh. Hard enough as it is right?

#92 Fi1974

Posted 23 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

Hi guys...

I'm an old old user, and come back after a few years.

My hubby started FIFO this week. 3/1 at Roma.

I have an 11 year old and a 9 year old....They are testing the boundaries.

I don't have much/any family help, but we'll be ok...DH hasn't had a job like this ever....it will be nice to be able to get in front financially.

#93 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

How is everyone going?

Hi Fi1974, how are you finding it?

My Dh has just taken on a new role in QLD 4/1. Yikes!

Project is meant to run for 2 years. Unfortunately we had to postpone our xmas holiday, so we're staying home and celebrating whenever he's home. We're not sure yet if the site shuts down over xmas or not.

#94 *little-rach*

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:09 PM

Hi all,

Love to join here too!

We have been living in kalgoorlie for the past 4 years as my husband is a geologist. (We are from melb originally)

At the start of this month we relocated to Adelaide as we have family here and it's so much closer to melb and the rest of our family. In doing this, my DH is now working FIFO still in Kalgoorlie at his same job. His roster is 9/5 for 2 swings then 6/8 each third swing so that break will be great.

We have 3 DD aged 20 months, 4 & 5.

Today is the 3rd day he's been gone on his first swing so it's all very new! We are coping well so far, he used to leave home at 4.30am and not get home until 5.30pm on a good day but more often 7.30. So things don't feel much different yet.

How do you all cope with FIFO? Any tips or tricks for me? Haha!

Our daughters are enjoying being near family again and I'm loving bring back in a city!

The only thing I don't like about FIFO is being at home at night without my DH but that's only because I'm a bit of a scardy cat! Haha
Anyone else like me?

#95 mumofsugarandspice

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi Rach and welcome. You must have your hands full with 3 little girls! That roster sounds like a nice family friendly one :) MY DP is on Barrow Island doing 4 on 1 off! It sux! Hopefully next year he can find a better roster. I havn't posted in here since Feb, but we are now doing IVF because we have had alot of trouble conceiving. Thought it was due to roster but turns out the high heat work environment is to blame so be wary ladies!

We got 2 frozen embies from our cycle of IVF, and in about 1 week we are able to transfer one, so excited and hoping it sticks!

#96 BooMooo

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi ladies

Feel like I'm an old hand already at this FIFO type thing.

I see DP for one weekend a month on average. For me, I miss him most of an evening, as my day is winding down and I feel like just chatting about nothing while watching TV or a movie. We skype and call on the phone and such but it's not the same.  

Weekends can be hard too when I don't have much on. The worst has been ovulating and not having him home till well after, sucks when TTC!

All the guys in my family FIFO so I'm not alone, you gotta go where the work is right?

Fx for you mumofsugarandsapice!

I hope you settle into the new swing little-rach, sounds like you will :)

#97 ashleerose

Posted 28 October 2013 - 10:45 AM

Hi another newbie here, I've only just become engaged to my man. I have two children girl 12, and boy 11.
He works in WA two weeks on, one off and is in the process of moving to NSW once we get a house organised. I wanted to move to WA but my daughter did not want to relocate and will be starting high school next year.

#98 ~Jodama_Feral~

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hi all.

We will be starting FIFO in Dec. Up until now we have lived in a small mining town but we have decided I will move closer to family for support and DH will go FIFO.

We have a 9yo DD, 7yo DS and an almost 3yo DD.

DH will be flying in and out of Tas for a while until he can secure a job in Qld.

We will muddle through somehow. Looks like you all do a great job at coping with it.

Ky - I know a bit about Renison Bell and surrounding areas if you still need info.

#99 FIFO connections

Posted 12 November 2013 - 09:12 PM

Hello,

I am a SAHM to our 18 month old son and have been a FIFO wife for nearly 2 1/2 years.  I have started a not for profit organisation call FIFO connections https://www.facebook...ups/FIFOmeetups, we currently run a private Facebook group for spouses of FIFO workers and are looking into next year beginning a series of seminars aimed at empowering, uplifting, and even treating the FIFO spouse.
We also have FIFO wives from all over Australia on our group connecting and supporting each other and currently run regular meet ups, mainly in Brisbane but these are growing simply by members meeting on our group then catching up together over coffee or a park date, hehe sometimes maybe a wine or two ;-)
If you are interested please pop over and join our group, we are a very friendly and supportive group :-)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.