Mothers with children to different men

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 Rapunkkzel

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

I know someone who has children with different fathers. She is a good mum, no different to any other mums I know, she works, she's not on benefits, she's not tarty, in a relationship or looking for one original.gif
She doesnt tell anyone xcept close friends and family that the children have different dads, if asked directly she'll lie and say no they all have the same father. i think she shouldnt have to, but she thinks because of stigma to her and her kids she does have to.

Sooooooo i thought Id ask what people thought. Are mothers with different fathers for their kids usually judged harshly, even if theyre good mothers? do you think that say, two different fathers is understandable, but three or more indicates some character flaw of the woman?

(obviously I don't think this,, myself)

#2 Monroe

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

Each to their own I guess.
Who am I to judge a perfectly capable mum if she has several children to different men, it doesn't worry me I know a few women in this situation and I treat them the same as my friends with 3 children to the same father.

#3 Amanda_R

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

Some people THINK it reflects poorly on the mother and the children, but the reality is it is no real indication of who or what that person is.  Pre-conceived ideas and stereotypes are more often than not way off the mark.  

Unfortunately doesn't stop it from happening.  Some people choose to believe what they want, even if it has no connection to reality whatsoever.

#4 Jellyblush

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Rapunkkzel @ 31/10/2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know someone who has children with different fathers. She is a good mum, no different to any other mums I know, she works, she's not on benefits, she's not tarty, in a relationship or looking for one original.gif

Even the fact you needed to qualify this way, sadly, speaks volumes sad.gif

Personally, I wouldn't judge. My brother & I have different dads. It makes no difference, we are still 100% family.

Are they 'usually' judged? I don't know, I guess the only people that would know are mums in this situation *toddles off to ask mine*

#5 LisaMaree82

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:55 PM

My DS has a different bio dad.  It is a non issue for us. People don't know unless it comes up, I am not ashamed of it at all.  All my kids look totally different from each other so no one picks up on it.

My Dad's ex on the other hand has 5 kids, the 1 and 3 have the same dad.  2 has a different dad but thinks that 1 and 3's dad is her dad.  3 thinks that my dad is her dad.  4 and 5 are my dad's kids, they live with him.  She is now pregnant to a 4th man with #6.  She is the stereotype, on welfare and her parenting borders on neglect the majority of the time sad.gif   To quote another eb'er this week, call me judgy mcjudgy.

Lisa

Edited by LisaMaree82, 31 October 2010 - 07:56 PM.

#6 Illiterati

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

What about fathers with children to different women?

If you really don't care - then why do you care enough to ask?

#7 *soy-latte*

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:59 PM

That is what I thought.

What if there are two different fathers due to the death of the first partner? Does that make a difference?

#8 jfl

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:01 PM

Despite your carefully crafted question, what you seem to be asking is 'are they sl*ts? How many different fathers before they are or are not?'

Presumably your objective is to stir up a fight, over a meaningless 'issue'.

#9 Brolynbub

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

Huh, well if they are judged, one day I guess I will be too. I have no intention of ever letting my ex near me with a 50ft pole, so if I choose to have another child at a later stage, they will have different fathers.

#10 *Barbra*

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:03 PM

I can't even imagine where a question like that would be asked in general, if any conversation. wink.gif

#11 eleishas

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

A sh*t parent is a sh*t parent, no matter what the child to dad ratio is.

#12 Alrak

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:04 PM

well i know one, and she had her kids taken by DHS because of severe neglect.

another is a great mum to her kids..

i honesty don't think they differ from mums who kids all have the same dad.

#13 Alrak

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (SomeRandomStranger @ 31/10/2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can't even imagine where a question like that would be asked in general, if any conversation. wink.gif

i get asked by strangers all the time.

their response
"well thats rare"  blink.gif

#14 Chocolate Addict

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:10 PM

I think there would be judgement if, for example, the women had 2 or 3 kids with minimal age gaps to 2/3 different fathers. ie one night stands ending in pregnancy.

I think that is very different to someone being in long term relationships having kids with each long term partner.

I will admit I would and have judged on women that have multiple kids to multiple partners (using the first example above, not the second).

They might be the worlds best parent to the kids but not the smartest.

My opinion is the same for both male and female. I recall the famous quote from the 80's "if it's not on, it's not on". Some people need to be reminded of this I think. Tounge1.gif

#15 domestically~challenged

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

My next door neighbour on the left was gossiping that my next door neighbour on the right has kids to 3 different men. Who cares??? I stared at her blankly. Should I have raised my eyebrows in sock, horror or disgust? She also b**ched that her house was dirty. HAHA! She should see mine. Judgmental fool.

#16 Rapunkkzel

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (Sybilla @ 31/10/2010, 08:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just thinkng about it today, because she thinks if she tells people they will stigmatise her. I didnt think they would. Im not in that situation so I dont know the reality of what she deals with or even if people in general do judge her. There's nothing whatsover wrong with her as a person or a mother. I love her, shes a remarkably cool person original.gif

#17 MightyMummy

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (Rapunkkzel @ 31/10/2010, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sooooooo i thought Id ask what people thought. Are mothers with different fathers for their kids usually judged harshly, even if theyre good mothers? do you think that say, two different fathers is understandable, but three or more indicates some character flaw of the woman?

1. I think yes they probably are judged, whether that's harsh or not depends on whether you subscribe to it!
2. I think most people don't know if someone's a good mother or not so that part is hardly relevant. You can spot someone not being obviously a bad mother (running around with different men, having them
3. I think at some point it is indicative of a character flaw. I don't make a blanket call on how many but the fewer the better and if you have kids very close in age to different fathers that looks much worse imho. I know a woman who has 2 kids barely 15 months apart to 2 different men and a3rd child to a 3rd man only 2 years younger.. Basically she slept around a lot.

#18 TEN!

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

People have children to more than one father for all sorts of reasons.  I don't think it is anything to be ashamed of per se, but the fact that she lies about it speaks volumes about her own comfort with her situation.

I find women who lurch from relationship to relationship a bit sad to be honest.  What is wrong with them that they can't function without a man in their lives?

One of my closest friends has kids to two fathers.  The first guy was just a dipsh*t.  Her DH is a great guy.  There's no reason to think ill of her for one bad decision.

#19 Surprise#4

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

I have someone close to me who has 3 kids to 3 different fathers. She was married to her first child's father and they divorced. Second child she had a holiday romance and fell pregnant (and he didn't want anything to do with her or the baby - ETA - she had IVF for her first child and took her many attempts to have her, so she didn't think she was fertile - but she was on the pill..). She just remarried and her and her new DH have a baby. So 3 kids / 3 dads - but it isn't like she was selling herself on the street. I have to admit a few people close to her (and me) do make smart a*se comments about it, but I just remind them of males we know who have fathered quite a few different kids to different mothers, but they don't see the kids and whinge about the huge amount of child support they pay rolleyes.gif .

My opinion is the same for both male and female. I recall the famous quote from the 80's "if it's not on, it's not on". Some people need to be reminded of this I think.

I agree!! original.gif

ETA - My kids superglued several letters on my keyboard together - so apologies for the errors!

Edited by ~*Rach*~, 31 October 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#20 Gangnam Style

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (LisaMaree82 @ 31/10/2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... has 5 kids, the 1 and 3 have the same dad.  2 has a different dad but thinks that 1 and 3's dad is her dad.  3 thinks that my dad is her dad.  4 and 5 are my dad's kids, they live with him.  She is now pregnant to a 4th man with #6.

Lisa

I think it says a lot about you that you only focus on the mother in this equation, and make little reference to the father(s).

#21 Keddie

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

FWIW, my SIL has 3 children to 3 different fathers.  There are reasons for it to which it's none of my business to share. I don't think she has a problem with telling people or that anyone else cares.  She hasn't felt judged from what I can tell so perhaps your friend has had a bad experience with someone being rude?
Perhaps it helps that the fathers are active participants in financially and emotionally supporting their child.  If she'd been left in the lurch it might be different - meaning I can imagine she would end up being the one who's hard on herself, as opposed to society.

#22 idle

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

ETA - My kids superglued several letters on my keyboard together - so apologies for the errors!

laughing2.gif

Welll..My eldest 2 are to my highschool love who i was with from 14-24. My middle 3 are to my ex husband and my last 2 are to my exp.

Am I judged? Probably although most people are surprised to find that I am a single parent so very few really think further than that.
Do I care if I am judged? Nope. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Other people's societal standards mean squat to me original.gif

Edited by idle, 31 October 2010 - 08:26 PM.

#23 sad small umbrella

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

Damn my DH is a s*ut then.

#24 PurpleWitch

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

LOL.
I was asked this question today. Not what I think of women with children to different men but if my eldest is my husbands.

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed of in regards to re-partnering and having more children. I do think it's a bit icky the women who go from man to man having kid to kid, whether it be one night stands of short relationships.

#25 Jupiter

Posted 31 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

Evening all, I've removed an unnecessary comment relating to another member and another thread. Posts of that nature are against forum rules. Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.