Dead headless birds in my backyard.
What would killing them?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Bkrsdzn+1

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

Over the last month we have found around 10 dead birds in our backyard, they are usually decapitated and occasionally missing a wing. We have a dog, I'm sure it's not him and his presence keeps any cats away. I think the birds are maybe blackbirds or similar. We do occasionally get butcher birds and have some currawongs around. I know they both rob nests, but I would have thought that they would eat more than the head, and also the dead birds don't appear to be young.  I remember reading about currawongs hanging dead birds around their nests for the young to eat but mr google on my phone won't find that info for me now.

Does anyone know if the currawong thing is true? Any other ideas?

#2 xenabonjovi

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:47 AM

could b quals as that is exactly what they do. Kill birds in such a fashion and leave the body behind.

#3 !!!

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

Do you have any small carnivorous mammals/marsupials living in your yard?

eta: besides your dog.

It doesn't sound like something another bird would do to me.

ZOMG that sentence was bad.

Edited by *Mangosteen, 24 October 2010 - 09:55 AM.

#4 BetteBoop

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:54 AM

I wouldn't rule puppy out as a suspect either. I know it doesn't seem possible but most dogs are instinctive hunters.

#5 Guest_Excentrique_*

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:55 AM

eww. i would like to know what left under my clothesline

-3 mice skins
-and what looked like a chicken neck.  sick.gif

#6 Bkrsdzn+1

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (xenabonjovi @ 24/10/2010, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
could b quals as that is exactly what they do. Kill birds in such a fashion and leave the body behind.

Thanks, just did a search though, and no not likely quolls, we are in Melbourne and from what I found they are in QLD.

#7 Bkrsdzn+1

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (BetteBoop @ 24/10/2010, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I wouldn't rule puppy out as a suspect either. I know it doesn't seem possible but most dogs are instinctive hunters.

I know it's not the dog. He's 11 years old and while I'm sure he would dream about bird catching, he's not capable of it.

Edited by Shell14, 24 October 2010 - 10:04 AM.

#8 Theophobic

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:07 AM

Neighbourhood cat/s.

#9 Kay1

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

Cats don't eat the head. unsure.gif

#10 Kim

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

My first thought is an owl, they will kill other birds.. as do hawks and eagles (just owls are more common in the burbs)

Perhaps you have one nesting near by and they are losing their prey mid flight into your yard, then not game to collect the rest because of your dog.

#11 Littlegreenfrog

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:53 AM

I'm thinking cats..

My cats kill rabits and only eat their heads and leaves the body in my laundry...

yuck

-Trudie

#12 whydoibother

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

I know at school I used to see crows that would rip pigeon heads off on  the class room roof sick.gif
I know starlings would kill my mums birds in their cages pecked them through the bars sad.gif

I would say cat, or some other scavenger???

#13 Maple Leaf

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:01 AM

Set up a vid camera?
No other ideas! With a dog in the yard, I don't see cats bothering with going in there to get their prey or leave the remains there.

#14 Siouxie

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:58 AM

Do you have any raptor species in your area?  We do, and they decapitate any bird unlucky enough to cross flight paths with them sad.gif  I've seen a 28 parrot decapitated in flight by a small kestral.  Clean off.

#15 Erma Gerd

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

When I was a kid and kept an aviary full of budgies, we had rats get in and eat the heads off many roosting birds.

#16 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:53 PM

I really think you should call the RSPCA or Wildlife Helpline.

It does not seem like a domesticated animal is doing it. But if they are it needs to be reported anyway.  
A bird is not likely to leave it's pray with a body intact as they go  for the soft areas first. Snakes will swallow the whole carcass. Dingos  and devils are obviously out, and I can't think of any other meat eating  mammal here. So actually I think it is quite suspicious and very unpleasant.

What's behind the property?

eta: mjk, that is so sad! Were they bush rats?

Edited by ForsakenTruth, 24 October 2010 - 12:55 PM.

#17 eleishas

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:46 PM

Completely unhelpful but eeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww sick.gif

#18 WittyKitty

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

Butcher Birds will rip the heads off caged birds. Maybe they do that to wild ones, too?

It's unlikely to be cats, IMHO, as when they present a headless body it's usually to their own household through their instinct to provide.

PP, the rabbit is gross but kitty is thinking of you  wink.gif

#19 Bkrsdzn+1

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:30 PM

Well it seems we have a currawong nest up high in our neighbors tree hanging over our fence, so I'm pretty sure that they are the culprits. My dad says that they kill birds and hang them in forks of branches around their nest; none of the dead birds we have found have been particularly fresh, and there has been a lot of wind over the last month or so which may have dislodged them. I'll watch more closely now, and see if I can prove my theory!

#20 goldimouse

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:35 PM

It couldn't be bored and cruel teenagers could it?

#21 countrymel

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Kay1 @ 24/10/2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My old cat used to do just that - then he would lovingly present them to me - sometimes in a neat row next to my bed!! Ah.. the joy of standing on a headless corpse first thing in the morning in your bare feet!

OP I've seen a currawong/crow (I'm in Tas and we use different words for different birds than Victoria) decapitate a budgie through the bars of a cage.

#22 Bkrsdzn+1

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Robbie @ 25/10/2010, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It couldn't be bored and cruel teenagers could it?

I'll assume that you are not implying that my teens would do anything so barbaric a assume you mean some random teen that gained access to my backyard. No, there is no way that some random bored cruel teen could have gained access to my backyard to dispose of dead headless birds.

#23 Bkrsdzn+1

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

Ok, for all those who couldn't believe a bird would do it, I just rang the RSPCA and as soon as I mentioned that we had currawongs nesting nearby she was certain that they were our culprit, she said that they are very aggressive at this time if year and that decapitation is their method of choice.   Have to say, that even though I thought it was the case, I'm relieved to be told so by an expert!

Edited by Shell14, 25 October 2010 - 01:05 PM.

#24 KristyMum-

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

our dog used to catch birds... that came in to eat her biscuits and were otherwise slow/sick or just not on their toes.  but she never did that to them so...

eta looks like you've found an answer... good stuff Shell.

Edited by KristyMum-, 25 October 2010 - 01:13 PM.

#25 GWTW

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:18 PM

What an intersting thread OP. Very educating. I was going to suggest reptiles but the currawongs seem likely suspects here.

QUOTE (Kay1 @ 24/10/2010, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah they do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.