Would you get a milkshake maker?
IF so which one?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 MightyMummy

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

The boys are mad about milkshakes at the moment. DS1 still drinks loads of milk anyway but DS2 has gone off it unless its flavoured. I can't blame him, I was the same as a kid. But whenever we're out they want a milkshake.

I wondered about getting a milkshake maker.

Are they hard to clean? Do they last very long? What do you suggest? DS2's birthday is coming up, or I could get it for Christmas.

#2 Blueblue

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

I would get a blender instead.

#3 ComradeBob

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:27 AM

TBH, I'd just use a hand blender - it's a lot more versatile and takes up less space in the kitchen.

#4 vanessa71

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

No, I woudn't buy one. I make smoothies and use the blender, the blender is the more versatile appliance to have.

#5 MightyMummy

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hmm I used to have a blender when DS1 was born (overseas so wrong voltage for here). I hated it. It was so messy to clean and kept popping its lid and spraying the kitchen with sweet potato soup.

I don't use a blender, so I thought the novelty of the milkshake maker might help DS2 drink more milk. Oh and I love milkshakes too :-)

#6 4littlemonkeys

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

I also use a blender.  I have a combo food processor / blender and its fantastic. I use it nearly every day! wink.gif

ETA - After reading your post perhaps one of those kids milkshake makers (like the cow one I think it is?), would be good for you?? They do seem quite cute. I know my kids would love one but since we have a blender it does the job! wink.gif

Edited by ~*Rach*~, 12 October 2010 - 10:35 AM.

#7 ♥pinkprincess♥

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

No dont get one, I had one and NEVER USED IT... and i love milkshakes!!!

You're better of getting a blender if you dont already have one as they can be used for other things as well.

#8 MightyMummy

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:39 AM

OK so what blender then?

The kitchenmaid one I used to have was bollocks.

#9 lozoodle

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

I will go against the grain and say yes!

I have a breville one, cost about $20 and we use it all the time. Very easy to clean and i love the metal milkshake cups that come with it, so much nicer to drink shakes out of than a regular glass  original.gif

I find washing the blender a PITA just for a milkshake when its far easier to clean the milkshake maker.

#10 vanessa71

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:44 AM

There are plenty of good blenders on the market, I have a Krups one that is probably about 8 years old now. I don't think you should experience the difficulty you have previously, they are fairly simple to use.

We did have a milk shake maker when I was growing up, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly and it was rarely used.

#11 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

DD has her own, in the form of a Mooing Cow from Target / Kmart. They are in the toy section and I think they are around $20. It's great, it's fun for her and it is very easy to clean.

#12 A.K.A

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

DS drinks milkshakes every day, and while we have a blender it is so incredibly hard to get out and use.

#13 3spunkymonkeys

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

One more gadget you probably don't need.

We use the tupperware type thingy.  It's just the plastic container with the spin thing so when you shake it, it comes out frothy.

#14 sillysausage

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

We have a milshake maker and use it quite often.  I would however go against the suggestion of the novelty type and go for a Breville or similar - they are proably still less than $40.  From what I remember, the spinner/blender part is plastic so may break easily and I don't imagine it would froth the milk too much, or get through ice cream if you decide to use it.

They are easy to clean - I keep a tall plastic cup with water on the bench and give the milkshake maker a whizz in between flavours.  And to clean it, I use clean water with the tiniest squirt of detergent and wizz it up and a good wipe over.

Unless you have a dishwasher that you don't mind putting the blender attachments in, I would honestly think the milkshake maker would be easier and more convenient to clean.

#15 Loveoneson

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:51 AM

We love our Breville milkshake maker!  DS uses it each afternoon to make himself a milo milkshake.  Very easy to clean and not too big and bulky to handle for the kids.  He makes a milkshake then sits down at the table ready to do his homework grid lol lol lol...love it! biggrin.gif

#16 Guest_lssr_*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

I reckon you can kind them cheaply and they come with "milkshake" style cups that would make it part of the fun.  Get one - mum had one and when I lived at home (even in my 20s) they were fun to make and easy to clean - easier to clean than a blender but if you are limited for cupboard space then maybe use a stick blender or jug blender if you already have one.

#17 Daisy Chain

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:05 AM

We have the Cow one, whilst it is good just for making milk frothy and mixing a flavor through, it is no good for making a smoothy with fruit and ice-cream. I use the blender for that which I find very easy to clean.

#18 jojonbeanie

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:41 AM

We use the Kitchen Aid blender - It's on the bench all the time anyway. DS like to blend some fruit and then make fruit flavored milkshakes. I have a stainless steel beaker, which is easy to rinse and clean.

#19 mountains_girl

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

Would a stick blender do the trick? I think we have a breville one which has four different types of attachments - one which is just a plain blender and a large cup (type thing) I use it all the time, for baby food, drinks, dips, anything and everything. The best part is you just snap the end attachment off and wash and its all done. its soo slim I just slide it in next to my breadboards.  

You can get different strength ones which are strong enough to crush Ice as well, mine doesn't do that though. I think you can get a standard stick blender really cheap - for like $15 at coles. but we got ours for about $100 at retravision because of all the extras - the cup that comes with it is fabulous because this don't splash everywhere and make a mess..

#20 Blondiebear

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

No I wouldn't. Depending on the type of smoothie/shake I'm making I either use the Bamix (stick blender) or regular blender. I use the Bamix to make Claudia a banana milkshake almost every day.

#21 Mrs Claus

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

i just use a stick blender

#22 hills mum bec

Posted 12 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

We use the tupperware type thingy. It's just the plastic container with the spin thing so when you shake it, it comes out frothy.

This is what we use.  I wouldn't buy a milkshake maker, just one more appliance you need to find room to store.

#23 ~TSC~

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

We have one and use it nearly daily.  The $30 I paid for it was well worth it.  It's a Sunbeam or Breville Crazy Shakes.

#24 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

Mine's a Sunbeam. It gets a right workout during summer. Banana smoothies being a family favourite.... wink.gif

#25 CandZ

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Yum! I want a milkshake now!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.