Free Range Kids
Would you let your 9yo do this?

254 replies to this topic

#1 loropetalum

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:02 PM

Another rehash on the helicopter parents theme.

I caught an interview with Lenore Skenazy who caused outrage when she wrote about leaving her 9yo at a department store in NYC. She gave him some cash, a train ticket and a train map and left him, trusting him to get home safely. He'd be peskering her to give him some independence for weeks (and he did get home safely.)

She makes some interesting points about crime rates actually declining over the years, but various factors such as the media's obsession with reporting crime stories feeding into our anxiety as parents.

Personally, I'm not sure whether I could leave my 9yo child at the shops and not feel the urge to trail him home. (BTW My only child is 15mo at the moment.)

So, how free range are your kids? Would you do what Lenore did?

#2 3_for_me

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:07 PM

I'm not sure i'd do it at 9, maybe a few years older and with a friend or two, and probably only if they were familiar with the route home

My kids(nearly 4 year old included) play in the park down the end of the street with a group of neighbourhood kids(aged 4-8), I can't see them there and they are often gone for hours, every now and then one of the parents goes and checks on them.

#3 censura carnero

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:08 PM

I really struggle with this concept but I was brought up with a worry wart as a mother.  I let my kids free range over our house and the back yard but being free range all over the neighbourhood or city is another matter.  I'm undecided but I kind of feel it's very much relying on the kindness of strangers if your kids get into trouble and expecting others to pull them up if they do the wrong thing.  I think kids should be scaffolded to take on different responsibilities, gradually building them up step by step to take care of themselves.

As i said it's a concept I completely struggle with but I'm not necessarlily absolutely opposed to.

#4 censura carnero

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:12 PM

My kids(nearly 4 year old included) play in the park down the end of the street with a group of neighbourhood kids(aged 4-8), I can't see them there and they are often gone for hours, every now and then one of the parents goes and checks on them.

ohmy.gif   WoW!  I have a four year old and absolutely no way would I let him do that.  I guess you're really hoping that older kids are paying enough attention should your little one get into trouble that they would be able to race home to tell you.  I find that fairly irresponsible actually.

#5 PinkSocks

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:14 PM

I would do it but I would follow behind without her knowing I was there! (DD is only 16months aswell)

Although I know at 9 I would have been able to find my way home!

#6 eleishas

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:15 PM

Given the poor state of trains in Melb. I wouldn't catch one myself let alone have my child do it.

#7 Tofu Puff

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

Would you do what Lenore did?

No way. I am a "worry wart" too. And I make no apologies for it.

#8 Guest_tickle_*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Loulabelle Doll @ 29/09/2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ohmy.gif   WoW!  I have a four year old and absolutely no way would I let him do that.  I guess you're really hoping that older kids are paying enough attention should your little one get into trouble that they would be able to race home to tell you.  I find that fairly irresponsible actually.

I'm not a parent yet however there is so much discussion around about people being overprotective of their children. Every situation is different. I'm sure 3forme has assessed the risks and decided it's relatively safe for her children. She doesn't seem like a neglectful and irresponsible parent to me from some of her other posts.

#9 MightyMummy

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Loulabelle Doll @ 29/09/2010, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto. Not fairly, COMPLETELY irresponsible to leave an almost 4 year old in the care of a non-adult at any time (presumably the older siblings were supposed to be the safeguard, puhlease).

I think free range parenting is bollocks. Its just irresponsibility and has NOTHING to do with crime rates. Kids are just as likely to step out in front of a car, get lost or simply very very upset as they are to be crime victims. Of course Lenore doesn't give a sh*t about that.

I was parented by the ultimate helicopter parents and I'm grateful to them. I hope I do as good a job. And no I didn't resent them at the time either. And I didn't grow up to be some kind of scaredy cat incompetent who couldn't take care of herself alone in unavoidable risks either. I guess it just depends how good you are at explaining your reasons for supervision to the kids and how intelligent they are at understanding those reasons.

BTW Mr 6 could definitely get himself home from most places he's ever likely to be at this age (school, shops, grandma's) and Mr 4 probably could too, and yes I teach them how to do this while I am with them and I am confident if they had to they could. I am not as insecure as Lenore, I don't need to "test" them by putting them at risk for no reason.

Edited by MightyMummy, 29 September 2010 - 10:25 PM.

#10 Fabulous

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

If they lived in NYC and the 9yo was familiar with the subway and everything then I think it may be okay to do such a thing. When I visited NYC I felt really safe, even when walking alone at 10pm at night. That's when I used to visit the grocery shop. I have never felt like that elsewhere.

#11 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:25 PM

Where are these lowering crime rates? Certainly not on Melbourns trains.

#12 censura carnero

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

I'm not a parent yet however there is so much discussion around about people being overprotective of their children

As you said you're not a parent yet.  Leaving three year olds completely unsupervised outside of your property is incredible.

Although I would be interested to hear what the surrounds are like.

#13 3_for_me

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:28 PM

WoW! I have a four year old and absolutely no way would I let him do that. I guess you're really hoping that older kids are paying enough attention should your little one get into trouble that they would be able to race home to tell you. I find that fairly irresponsible actually.

We live in a very quite street(long court) and the park is at the end of the street, it's a group of about 8 children and the park is two doors down from one of their parents who generallyy keeps half an eye on them.  As a PP said, i've assessed the rsiks involved and I'm happy with the situation.  And as far as injuries, DS1(6) did come off his bike recently down there and the first thing they did was race up and get someone to help while the other kids were with him, they are a great group of kids original.gif

#14 Guest_Buy Me A Pony!_*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

I'm a proud freeranger!

At 9yo I was all over the suburb I grew in, including the adjacent bushland and I was the same age as Samantha Knight. I think it's important that children now how to catch public transport and read timetables from around 10yo. Even if it's only to get themselves to school - it takes so much pressure off us to avoid the drop off and pick up. Also to know how to seek out assistance if they need it.

Safety houses have vanished which seems a shame but we've taught methods for seeking out assistance from adults or other children. It's important that children be allowed to trust their instincts within a safe environment. So of course we don't put them in situations of high risk, and always advise that if something feels dodgy to stay right away.

#15 Mrs_Mystery_Guest

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:29 PM

No I would never ever let my kids do that!  ohmy.gif I won't be letting my sons out on their own with a bit of cash till at least 13, but then again I'm strict.

#16 Banana Pancakes

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

I have a 9 year old and I would never let him catch public transport on his own in the city. No way! I trust him (within reason) but I do not trust most of the general population.

I dont want to take the risk that my child might be one of the unlucky ones.

#17 censura carnero

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:34 PM

We live in a very quite street(long court) and the park is at the end of the street, it's a group of about 8 children and the park is two doors down from one of their parents who generallyy keeps half an eye on them. As a PP said, i've assessed the rsiks involved and I'm happy with the situation. And as far as injuries, DS1(6) did come off his bike recently down there and the first thing they did was race up and get someone to help while the other kids were with him, they are a great group of kids

Yep I live in one of those streets too.  I would never ask another person to keep a half eye on a child.  And a three year old is completely and utterly outrageous.  A kid falling off a bike is obvious and easy for another kid to notice.  There are lots of other incidences where things happen to kids that aren't that noticeable.  You are seriously running the gauntlet with knowing what your kids get up to and how safe they are.  Do you have an illness or a sick child?  Not taking the p*ss just wondering if there are reasons why you would be so irresponsible with your kids.

#18 3_for_me

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:39 PM

That's fine, you can be as judgemental as you like but I have no concerns about their safety while they are there, infact they get up to more mischief in our backyard than they do down there where there is safe, age appropriate play equipment and a few trees to play hide and seek behind.  He is what you would call mature for his age I guess, I wouldn't have had my oldest there at that age but he is a different person to his brother.

I'm sure that people on here who know me in real life would agree that my kids are well looked after and sensible boys.

Do you have an illness or a sick child?

Of course I don't, I just recognise that I have active boys who are best occupied by not being kept in the loungeroom or the backyard alone all day wacko.gif

Edited by 3_for_me, 29 September 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#19 ~*Ness~*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:40 PM

No way. My oldest is only 4 but there's no way I'll be letting her go anywhere unsupervised at 9. It's not just about the Childs ability to handle a situation, it's about all the idiots and threats some people pose to a child. It may be a rare thing in reality but I'm not willing to risk their safety.

#20 cira

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (ceres @ 29/09/2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If they lived in NYC and the 9yo was familiar with the subway and everything then I think it may be okay to do such a thing. When I visited NYC I felt really safe, even when walking alone at 10pm at night. That's when I used to visit the grocery shop. I have never felt like that elsewhere.

I half-agree. I think the kid would be safe. But NYC is big and busy and they might get disoriented and lost.
Or a crazy homeless person might frighten them. I'm an adult and both these things happened to me in NYC.

#21 hellokatty

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

My 12 year old catches public transport to and from school and will sometimes stop in at Camberwell Junction to wander around and then get back on the tram. I have no problem with that during daylight hours.
He also uses the train on the way to and from school with no problem. Not sure why people are bagging the Melbourne trains, unless your children are on them at night of course.

No way in the world would I let a 4 year old go to the park in the care of 8 year olds, never.

#22 Guest_tickle_*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:43 PM

That's fine, you can be as judgemental as you like but I have no concerns about their safety while they are there, infact they get up to more mischief in our backyard than they do down there where there is safe, age appropriate play equipment and a few trees to play hide and seek behind. He is what you would call mature for his age I guess, I wouldn't have had my oldest there at that age but he is a different person to his brother.

I would have thought being exposed to this type of relatively safe situation (as assessed by their mother) is how children learn how to problem solve, negotiate, and get on with one another

Edited by tickle, 29 September 2010 - 10:44 PM.

#23 lucky 2

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

Do you have an illness or a sick child? Not taking the p*ss just wondering if there are reasons why you would be so irresponsible with your kids

laughing2.gif You're pushing the button aren't you. I wouldn't let my dd 6 do it but it really is just your judgement call as to whether pp is irresponsible or not, it sounds like you are completely sure it is definitely irresponsible, good for you but all situations are different. But don't hold back on my behalf...

As to OP, I'm wondering if it is different for boys and girls, is it different to leave a 9 yo boy in NYC vs leaving a 9 yo girl. As a mother of a girl I'd worry for her safety from sexual predators (even though I know statistically they are more at risk inside a home with a known male adult), would the mothers of boys be as worried about this aspect? Would she let her girl do the same thing? No offence intended, I'm just a bit thick about boys! I come from an all girl family and have one girl.

#24 ~*Ness~*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:45 PM

Of course I don't, I just recognise that I have active boys who are best occupied by not being kept in the loungeroom or the backyard alone all day

My kids are never kept alone in the lounge room or backyard a day. I take them to the park most days, or a friends house, the shops etc. They do something every day and are very active, but they wont be doing it alone anytime in the next 10 or so years.

#25 3_for_me

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

but they wont be doing it alone anytime in the next 10 or so years

You wouldn't allow your 11 year old to play in the street with the neighbourhood kids?

I would have thought being exposed to this type of relatively safe situation (as assessed by their mother) is how children learn how to problem solve, negotiate, and get on with one another

This is my feelings too, they spend time in the park, they go to one of the kids places and jump on the trampoline and sometimes they come in here and play with toys for a while.  But there is a limit to how many kids I'll have in my house for an extended period laughing2.gif

I take them to the park most days, or a friends house, the shops etc

We do these things too, but they spend the whole time asking to go home so they can go down the street and play with their friends, I think fostering a good, healthy friendship revolving around healthy, active outdoor fun is a good thing

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.