How often do you get your nails done?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Ive always been one to have white tip acrylics on my nails, but since working in retail since December 09 - My hands are nearly always in them, I go to ProfessioNail ( Mainly run by Second-Language-English people, I love them, even though their products are thought to be illegal and they have bad service.

Just before July I started to get nail art done, $60. But these last me at least a month and a half. I generally wait a week or two ( to give my natural nails air to breathe, and so its suitable $$ wise. ) Then get them done again.

I feel especially good today as Im so low on money and they did it for me for $20, because they know Im a regular happy.gif  blush.gif
SO what about you, how often do you get yours done? And what do you get done?

#2 Boombox

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

I've never had my nails done in my life. I'm a midwife so there is the obvious reason I need short nails, but I still probably wouldn't spend regular money on them anyway.

I think some nail art looks nice though- it does have a class defining hint about it, at least in my experience of it.

#3 ~~mumsie~~

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

I used to get mine done every 3 weeks, but stopped when I moved three years ago.

I am hoping to start going back again - the white tips look hot!

#4 Onyx

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

I used to get my arcylics done every 3 -4 weeks but I don't have them on anymore, and haven't had them for almost 2 years.

I don't really need them, my natural nails grown really well and have a nice shape to them. I get a manicure every 2 -3 weeks and a pedicure every 3 -4 weeks.

#5 coopersmamma

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

I am an on again off again nail addict. I get them done at HollyWood nails, which is similar to ProfessioNAIL, but slightly less exy in my area. I went to the local ProfessioNAIL and they were too long, too square and few snapped off plus a week later, they rushed me out of the door so the colour didn't set and I smudge some GRRRR...That time cost me $80 ohmy.gif ...Since then I have been to HollyWood Nails and I usually get black tipped acrylic (think white french tips but black) or gel white frenched nails but at the moment I had a full new set of purple powder glitter tipped gels whacked on for $64 which I thought was tops....
Infills are done every 3 weeks for $30 and under... sometimes I stretch it out for as long as I can!

Even if I am in my trackies with no makeup ( a RARE sight) my nails look great biggrin.gif

#6 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

Even if I am in my trackies with no makeup ( a RARE sight) my nails look great

Hahaha same here !

Also the nails, do add to my self esteem as post baby ( well not baby 2.6 years later, my 19yr old body aint that crash hot - think saggy boobs, saggy bum, saggy thighs, little motivation, busy lifestyle.

I usually pay 60. For nail art, today I have like a magenta pink with glitter on for $20 original.gif We dont have a HollyWood Nail, but as I was shopping a worker commented on my nails and says she does nails from home so I might check her out original.gif !

I do like white tips, they look elegant, classy, your nails always clean. Black tips sound groovy !

Oh my gosh, have you ladies seen the Louie Viton ( LV ) nail tips recently? WDYT of those?

#7 i-love-my-son

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

How often?  Never.

I have had people ask if my nails were natural, though - is that supposed to be a compliment?

#8 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

I have had people ask if my nails were natural, though - is that supposed to be a compliment?

Yes, yes it is original.gif I'd love it if my nails looked nice naturally, but they dont they look like s.it - But i think its because my nails have been caked on with chemicals for a really long time.

#9 Guest_Green*Sheep_*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

I have never had my nails done but I have naturally strong healthy looking nails anyway which I just manicure myself whenever I have the time or the inclination to do it.

My SIL on the other hands gets hers done all of the time - mainly the nail art.  It looks good but not something I have felt the need to spend money on.  Would probably want to though is my own nails were bad.

#10 gypsygirl

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

My DP gets her nails done every 4-5 weeks at a nail ladies place for $70 They always look great
Me, I go for a pedicure at  Profesionail place every 4-6 weeks

#11 justaman

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

I cut mine whenever they are getting too long - every 2 to 3 weeks maybe?

#12 smiles=)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

i love having nails i get acrylic over my natural nails as they are week i go every four weeks and can get coloured acrylic or white ones have them apinted or get nail art whatever i want for 30 bucks i am completley addicted couldnt live without them having been going since i was 14 so almost 7 years now.

#13 GWTW

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Never!

#14 N.N

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

I had it done once recently, I had the acrylic put over my natural nails. Worst mistake I EVER made. They started peeling off after two weeks and when they peeled, they peeled from the base, ripping off my real nail in the process.

Now I have no nails at all  mad.gif

Just going to let them grow out again and manicure them myself in future.

Sorry, totally off topic, but I had to vent Tounge1.gif

Edited by NanNan, 29 September 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#15 Guest_maybelle_*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I got a manicure on my wedding day but never before or since (my nails are short).  I get my toenails painted red every 5 weeks or so - I can't stand my toenails naked and I have a tremor so cannot do it myself.

#16 lisacat

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

I get mine done every 2 weeks. My nails grow super quick but are really weak. I buck the trend and have round tips and get full colour and really plain but it suits me more the only part of me that is 'girly'.

#17 Bellazeus

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Havnt had them done in about 8 years i think.
I did like them but they dont suit my lifestyle and i really have things I would rather spend my money on.

#18 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

I cant get pedicures, because Im too goddamn ticklish lol - I do just paint my toes myself, because no one really looks at my toes. LOL

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Never had them done and have no plans to.

#20 Silvergirl12

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Never ever!

#21 *Lib*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (lisacat @ 29/09/2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get mine done every 2 weeks. My nails grow super quick but are really weak. I buck the trend and have round tips and get full colour and really plain but it suits me more the only part of me that is 'girly'.

I get mine done 3-4 weekly. I get round tips and mostly just a colour. I think the nail art is a rip!

#22 mummyinahurry

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

Have never had acrylic nails and don't plan on starting. Can't think of anything worse than sitting in a salon for an hour every couple of weeks!

Call me lazy but a quick file and clear polish is as good as it gets around here cool.gif

#23 dessy123

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

I get french tips, maybe every 4 weeks?

#24 Mrs_Mystery_Guest

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

I used to get french tips put on and refills every 2 or so weeks. My nails grow quickly! That was when I lived in Perth though. I live in a mining town in kakadu national park so there is no need for nails like that out here lol. I stay home a lot so another reason not to bother. But then again I spend money on fancy cloth nappies for my son no one is gonna see but me but that's my addiction lol

#25 loropetalum

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Never. If I walk pass those nail places the nail person is usually wearing a mask. The smell is toxic. Actually I don't even know what you all are talking about. French tips? Acrylics? I'm clueless. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win a Mountain Buggy Swift

To celebrate Essential Baby reaching half a million Facebook fans, we have a Mountain Buggy Swift to giveaway to a lucky fan.

Shopping with kids: breaking the pester-power cycle

You're out shopping with your little one and they're incessantly whining that they want a treat. It's easy to say no ... the first time, at least.

eBay jacket may hold clue to murdered girl's identity

A jacket similar to the one found with the remains of a brutally murdered little girl in South Australia has been identified on eBay.

New mum forced back to work early due to paid parental leave 'technicality'

Shelley Parker had to keep driving buses until the date her baby was due and will have to rush back to work at the end of this week after being denied paid parental leave on a "technicality".

Pregnant Amanda Palmer poses naked for book drive

It has to be the most original way ever of promoting a children's book donation day.

The conception dilemma facing many parents today

Some parents who conceived through a sperm donor will be wary of telling the child, while others prefer to deal with it early on. But recent research suggests it makes little difference either way.

The wedding photo the bridesmaid would rather forget

We've probably all seen a passed-out bridesmaid at one wedding or another, but it usually happens towards the end of the night.

Pregnant TV meteorologist takes on haters

Pregnant TV meteorologist Katie Fehlinger has hit back at haters who called her a "sausage in casing".

Honest words from first-time mums

I didn't want to say anything negative to my pregnant friend, but I wish I'd been more honest.

Adorable baby experiences rain for the first time, couldn't be happier

Harper had seen rain from the comfort of indoors before, but had never had the pleasure of being outside and experiencing it first hand.

What it's really like to start a family in your fifties

Many people suppose that it must be much more tiring to have a baby in middle age, but all the mothers in the playground look exhausted, whatever their age.

'Biggest hypocrite ever': Josh Duggar admits to Ashley Madison account

An American reality TV star has been busted with a cheating website account, according to US media.

Long recovery ahead for girl hit by car weeks after baby brother's death

A little girl is more alert and starting to talk after being hit by a car a week ago, but still faces a long recovery.

How to react when a toddler lies

Q: My almost-3-year-old is starting to figure out that he can lie when asked if he ripped the book, threw the food, hit his brother, etc. Totally normal, I know. How do we respond?

The circular experience of a Centrelink client

A mum-to-be experiences the frustration of dealing with Centrelink, myGov and everything in between.

Kelly Clarkson announces live on stage: 'I'm pregnant!'

Singer Kelly Clarkson has announced she is pregnant with her second child during a concert in Los Angeles.

Hack

How to search the leaked Ashley Madison data

At least three sites are republishing Ashley Madison's user data on the public-facing internet.

Mum dances her way through labour

There are a fair few ways to distract yourself and beat pains while in labour, but it's probably a rare woman who chooses her dance her way through it.

'Rest in peace, my little lion': premmie baby Jacob passes away

Baby Jacob, whose photo of him born at just 27 weeks was deemed 'too graphic' for a fundraising site, has died.

Mum killed three young sons 'to help her daughter', prosecutor says

Niall Pilkington's death last summer apparently raised little alarm in Bellefontaine, Ohio. Tragic accidents happen, after all.

Shorter women have shorter pregnancies: study

When a group of researchers studied nearly 3500 mothers and their babies, they noticed a curious pattern.

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Show ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Sydney Essential Baby & Toddler Show for September 25-27 - register online now.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

The worst 20 minutes of my life

Thirty seconds was all it took to turn a shopping trip into my worst nightmare.

Top baby names for England and Wales in 2014

George has overtaken William in the official rankings of most popular British baby names - and Game of Thrones is still having an impact on parents.

Baseball or baby? Dad's tough choice

What's more important, a baby or a baseball? That's a question this dad seems to struggle with.

Childbirth choices: five star or free?

It's not often you hear the words labour and luxury in the same sentence but for some, a 5-star start to parenthood is exactly what they seek. And with a number of private hospitals now offering packages which include a post-birth stay at a sumptuous first class resort, many mums are choosing to recover in style.

'Where did your boobies go, Mummy?' and other soul-destroying comments from kids

Most women carry a smidge of baby weight after giving birth. If you're lucky enough to have an older child in the house, they can keep you on track with your weight loss goals.

Do you read me, baby?

Is it too soon to be reading to my two-month-old son? If not, what should I read?

Minimising sibling rivalry when you've got a baby

Sibling rivalry is an act of competition, but if your children feel involved and special, this type of jealousy will be minimised.

Will studying on maternity leave take you away from your most important job?

I remember when I was trying to decide if I could combine motherhood and furthering my university education.

Win a Pacapod this Father's Day

To celebrate dads and families, we are giving away a Picos Pack from Pacapod Australia filled with a few extra goodies ENTER NOW

Preschooler hit by car shortly after baby brother's death

A mother has had a frantic race to the hospital after her daughter was hit by a car, just four weeks after her infant son died.

Gay couple and Thai surrogate in custody tug-of-war

A six-month-old baby girl is trapped in the Thai capital in a bitter custody wrangle between her Thai surrogate mother and her biological father.

Couple denied IVF over parenting concerns

A mother of six has been denied access to IVF treatment in order to have another child over concerns about her parenting skills.

The book that promises to put your children to sleep

Exhausted parents from around the world are singing the praises of a "miracle" book which promises to put even the most restless child to sleep in just minutes.

5 things every parent who feels guilty needs to know

Parenthood can make you feel bad, but you're not alone.

Royals criticise 'dangerous' attempts to photograph Prince George

The British royal family criticized paparazzi on Friday for what it called their increasingly dangerous attempts to photograph young Prince George.

'No jab, no play' rule to cover Victorian kindergartens and childcare centres

"Anti-vaxxers" face not being able to send their children to childcare centres or kindergarten if they refuse to have them immunised.

15,000 birthing kits on their way to developing countries

Giving birth in a hospital surrounded by medical experts is tough enough, but some women deliver babies without a clean sheet to lie on.

Photo of premmie 'too graphic', fundraising site says

When their son Jacob was born at just 27 weeks, Christina and Jeff Hinks were thrown into an uncertain world.

The latest Bugaboo collections: cool chevron and runner prams

Bugaboo sure likes to keep things fresh, and with the Australian spring/summer season coming up, there are two new Bugaboo pram releases.

Making room for two in the bed

Mum's room or their own room? Cot or bassinets? Deciding where twins will sleep can be tricky.

FREE TICKET

See Hi-5 LIVE in Sydney!

Get your free ticket to The Essential Baby & Toddler Show and save $20 - register online now!

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.