How often do you get your nails done?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:48 PM

Ive always been one to have white tip acrylics on my nails, but since working in retail since December 09 - My hands are nearly always in them, I go to ProfessioNail ( Mainly run by Second-Language-English people, I love them, even though their products are thought to be illegal and they have bad service.

Just before July I started to get nail art done, $60. But these last me at least a month and a half. I generally wait a week or two ( to give my natural nails air to breathe, and so its suitable $$ wise. ) Then get them done again.

I feel especially good today as Im so low on money and they did it for me for $20, because they know Im a regular happy.gif  blush.gif
SO what about you, how often do you get yours done? And what do you get done?

#2 Boombox

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

I've never had my nails done in my life. I'm a midwife so there is the obvious reason I need short nails, but I still probably wouldn't spend regular money on them anyway.

I think some nail art looks nice though- it does have a class defining hint about it, at least in my experience of it.

#3 ~~mumsie~~

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:58 PM

I used to get mine done every 3 weeks, but stopped when I moved three years ago.

I am hoping to start going back again - the white tips look hot!

#4 Onyx

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

I used to get my arcylics done every 3 -4 weeks but I don't have them on anymore, and haven't had them for almost 2 years.

I don't really need them, my natural nails grown really well and have a nice shape to them. I get a manicure every 2 -3 weeks and a pedicure every 3 -4 weeks.

#5 coopersmamma

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:31 PM

I am an on again off again nail addict. I get them done at HollyWood nails, which is similar to ProfessioNAIL, but slightly less exy in my area. I went to the local ProfessioNAIL and they were too long, too square and few snapped off plus a week later, they rushed me out of the door so the colour didn't set and I smudge some GRRRR...That time cost me $80 ohmy.gif ...Since then I have been to HollyWood Nails and I usually get black tipped acrylic (think white french tips but black) or gel white frenched nails but at the moment I had a full new set of purple powder glitter tipped gels whacked on for $64 which I thought was tops....
Infills are done every 3 weeks for $30 and under... sometimes I stretch it out for as long as I can!

Even if I am in my trackies with no makeup ( a RARE sight) my nails look great biggrin.gif

#6 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

Even if I am in my trackies with no makeup ( a RARE sight) my nails look great

Hahaha same here !

Also the nails, do add to my self esteem as post baby ( well not baby 2.6 years later, my 19yr old body aint that crash hot - think saggy boobs, saggy bum, saggy thighs, little motivation, busy lifestyle.

I usually pay 60. For nail art, today I have like a magenta pink with glitter on for $20 original.gif We dont have a HollyWood Nail, but as I was shopping a worker commented on my nails and says she does nails from home so I might check her out original.gif !

I do like white tips, they look elegant, classy, your nails always clean. Black tips sound groovy !

Oh my gosh, have you ladies seen the Louie Viton ( LV ) nail tips recently? WDYT of those?

#7 i-love-my-son

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:47 PM

How often?  Never.

I have had people ask if my nails were natural, though - is that supposed to be a compliment?

#8 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:56 PM

I have had people ask if my nails were natural, though - is that supposed to be a compliment?

Yes, yes it is original.gif I'd love it if my nails looked nice naturally, but they dont they look like s.it - But i think its because my nails have been caked on with chemicals for a really long time.

#9 Guest_Green*Sheep_*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

I have never had my nails done but I have naturally strong healthy looking nails anyway which I just manicure myself whenever I have the time or the inclination to do it.

My SIL on the other hands gets hers done all of the time - mainly the nail art.  It looks good but not something I have felt the need to spend money on.  Would probably want to though is my own nails were bad.

#10 gypsygirl

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:12 PM

My DP gets her nails done every 4-5 weeks at a nail ladies place for $70 They always look great
Me, I go for a pedicure at  Profesionail place every 4-6 weeks

#11 justaman

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:16 PM

I cut mine whenever they are getting too long - every 2 to 3 weeks maybe?

#12 smiles=)

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:10 PM

i love having nails i get acrylic over my natural nails as they are week i go every four weeks and can get coloured acrylic or white ones have them apinted or get nail art whatever i want for 30 bucks i am completley addicted couldnt live without them having been going since i was 14 so almost 7 years now.

#13 GWTW

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Never!

#14 N.N

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:23 PM

I had it done once recently, I had the acrylic put over my natural nails. Worst mistake I EVER made. They started peeling off after two weeks and when they peeled, they peeled from the base, ripping off my real nail in the process.

Now I have no nails at all  mad.gif

Just going to let them grow out again and manicure them myself in future.

Sorry, totally off topic, but I had to vent Tounge1.gif

Edited by NanNan, 29 September 2010 - 06:25 PM.

#15 Guest_maybelle_*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 06:26 PM

I got a manicure on my wedding day but never before or since (my nails are short).  I get my toenails painted red every 5 weeks or so - I can't stand my toenails naked and I have a tremor so cannot do it myself.

#16 lisacat

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

I get mine done every 2 weeks. My nails grow super quick but are really weak. I buck the trend and have round tips and get full colour and really plain but it suits me more the only part of me that is 'girly'.

#17 Bellazeus

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Havnt had them done in about 8 years i think.
I did like them but they dont suit my lifestyle and i really have things I would rather spend my money on.

#18 Gummy_Bear

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

I cant get pedicures, because Im too goddamn ticklish lol - I do just paint my toes myself, because no one really looks at my toes. LOL

#19 cinnabubble

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:09 PM

Never had them done and have no plans to.

#20 Silvergirl12

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:11 PM

Never ever!

#21 *Lib*

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (lisacat @ 29/09/2010, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I get mine done every 2 weeks. My nails grow super quick but are really weak. I buck the trend and have round tips and get full colour and really plain but it suits me more the only part of me that is 'girly'.

I get mine done 3-4 weekly. I get round tips and mostly just a colour. I think the nail art is a rip!

#22 mummyinahurry

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:17 PM

Have never had acrylic nails and don't plan on starting. Can't think of anything worse than sitting in a salon for an hour every couple of weeks!

Call me lazy but a quick file and clear polish is as good as it gets around here cool.gif

#23 dessy123

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:18 PM

I get french tips, maybe every 4 weeks?

#24 Mrs_Mystery_Guest

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

I used to get french tips put on and refills every 2 or so weeks. My nails grow quickly! That was when I lived in Perth though. I live in a mining town in kakadu national park so there is no need for nails like that out here lol. I stay home a lot so another reason not to bother. But then again I spend money on fancy cloth nappies for my son no one is gonna see but me but that's my addiction lol

#25 loropetalum

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:30 PM

Never. If I walk pass those nail places the nail person is usually wearing a mask. The smell is toxic. Actually I don't even know what you all are talking about. French tips? Acrylics? I'm clueless. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.