ergo baby carrier

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bearynice

Posted 03 September 2010 - 08:54 AM

Hi ladies! I am trying to find a solution to help me get the boys from the car into the supermarket twin trolley- and into childcare. im wondering if anyone has ergo carriers they have used?? did you find it great?? is it comfy with heavy bub? [boys are already over 10kgs]
my hubby is over 6ft1 and is a big guy... do you think he would be comfy too?? [im thinking if they are fab we get 2 for travelling... so when we check pram in we dont have to carry bubs on hips and keep shuffling them around!]
im wondering if you carried bubs in the front/hip more than as backpack?? i'm a little worried what the boys will get up to back there!!! [will i end up with vomit on my back instead of my front!!!!! and will my ponytail get a good yank all the time!!!]
do you know a cheap spot to buy them online? or 2nd hand???
looking forward to hearing everyones answers!you provide the answers to all my rediculous questions!

#2 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:43 AM

I've got one and I've loved it for my twins.  I prefer to use the back carry position, as it leave me totally hands-free (also means I can carry the other twin in my arms if needed - I've spent many many hours walking the hospital floors like this during admissions when neither will let me put them down).  I can still carry them in it now (well, not comfortably atm seeing as I'm 30 weeks pregnant) and they're both around or over 14kg.  I have another sling too, which I used when they were smaller and I still sue now for the hip carry position because it's easier to get on and off, but the Ergo is definately kinder on my back and shoulders.

#3 Daisy Goat

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I can't help you with the ergo info. But for the supermarket if you go to the same on each time  you can call them up before you leve home to ask them to put the twin trolley aside and tehn call them from the carpark to bring it out to you. If they say no get another supermarket. I have two supermarkets that will do this for me and one that wont ( the one closest to home) wink.gif

#4 pinkballerina

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

I absolutely love my Ergo carrier and use it all the time for my 13 month old who weighs 10kg.  My husband also loves it.  We haven't yet tried using in our back yet though, so can't provide any feedback on that.

We live in Hong Kong where it's not easy to get around with a stroller so a lot of people who live here use baby carriers and Ergos are definitely the most popular.  I have seen some people carrying very large toddlers in them with no problem at all.  We also travel a lot, so I highly recommend them for travelling too.  If I had twins, I'd definitely own two Ergos.  You honestly won't regret making the purchase, I promise  wink.gif

#5 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:56 AM

Oh, I just wanted to add I can still carry my 4yo in the Ergo too (well, I could before my belly got huge again wink.gif).  I'm only about 5'6", so not big (or strong) but it's quite comfy for shortish trips.  I've only ever had him in the back position though....

#6 domestically~challenged

Posted 03 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

Hi ladies! I am trying to find a solution to help me get the boys from the car into the supermarket twin trolley

Are they sitting? Sometimes we would grab a single trolley from the closest bay and sit one in the seat and one the cargo area or both in the cargo area and transfer to a twin trolley once inside. Is the pram no good for childcare? How close can you park? Can you grab one, throw them at staff and go straight back for the other?

#7 Blessed to the MAX

Posted 03 September 2010 - 01:31 PM

We use the Boba Baby Carrier and love it. My twins are 11kg and 15kg and the carrier takes from 7kg-20kg. Less pricey than the Ergo and we have been really pleased with it.

#8 kabailz13

Posted 03 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

We haven't used the ergo with twins - not due till January

However, we have used it extensively with DS and DD2. I'm 5'7 and my hubby is 6'4 and neither of us have a problem with it. In fact, I'd say he finds it more comfortable than I do. original.gif

I'll definitely be using it again once the twins are here. If not for one of them, DD2 can get on my back when needed original.gif

#9 ecb

Posted 03 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

Are they sitting? Sometimes we would grab a single trolley from the closest bay and sit one in the seat and one the cargo area or both in the cargo area and transfer to a twin trolley once inside.

This is exactly what I do.  I never used the trolleys until they were able to sit up so I could do this because the logistics were beyond me.  

I pram it into daycare.  They could both easily do the walk now but I can't keep both of them safe in the carpark getting them in and out of the car if they are not strapped into something.  

I do have ergos but don't feel safe getting one onto my back while holding them over the hard ground of the carpark so I wouldn't do it that way.  And I think you would need to get one on your back and carry the other one if you are planning to get in to use a trolley.  Oh, the other option is that the shop may mind your pram for you.  I never bothered to take them up on this as I felt like it was a massive PITA to go in with the pram, swap to the trolley, take everything back to the car, then go back in for the pram.  That being said, I used to sometimes do multiple trips to the car to offload the pram anyway (e.g. get fruit and veg, dump that in the car then go back in to the grocery store) so in hindsight it wouldn't be any less work.  Silly me!  laughing2.gif

Re the ergos again, up until earlier this year I had quite long hair.  Never got tugged by the baby on my back.  They sit quite low on your back so it's not really obviously in their reach.  They pulled it all the time when they were not in the ergos, though, and I got sick of feeling cross with them for my hair being pulled (you know that instant rage you feel when someone pulls your hair and it hurts).  Didn't seem fair when they are babies who didn't know they were do anything wrong and half the time it was my hair dangling into their hand and not their hand seeking out my hair so I had it cut to my shoulders.  Umm, and they are big heavy girls and I find ergos REALLY comfortable.  Heaps more so than a baby bjorn (which you can't use now anyway with the weight of yours and that was our problem too - they grew out of them by about 10 months).  My DH is tall and broad across his shoulders and he finds it comfortable too.  We have used them in the airport and they were fantastic.

#10 elwila5

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:36 PM

We have an ergo and baby bjorns. DH prefered the baby bjorn, he didnt like the whole 'hugging tight to your chest' with the boys as he would get too hot and sweaty.

I used the ergo to take all 3 kids into daycare. I would put 1 on the front in the ergo, load the bags up on my shoulder, get DD out, then at the last minute grab the 2nd twin and just carry him on my hip. Heaps easier and quicker then getting the pram out, which didnt fit through the corridor at child care anyway. Usually I would see a staff member walking in and they would grab twin 2 off me.

We also still caryy DD (3.5) in the ergo on our backs if we need to.

I couldnt master putting DD on my back till she was about 2, so I havent tried with the boys.

Wasnt there someone who managed to use 2 ergos at once?

#11 Surprise#4

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:46 AM

Oh, I just wanted to add I can still carry my 4yo in the Ergo too

I still carry my 4yo in the Ergo.  She is almost at the top of the weight limit though - and I am very sad!! sad.gif She loves it!!  It does say on the website:

ERGObaby recommends a weight limit of 40 pounds (18 Kilograms) for its carrier; however, the carrier has been tested up to 90 pounds (41 Kilograms). Our carrier will accommodate you as long as you and your baby are happy using it.

Would you be happy carrying a child over 18kg?  Just wanting some advice whether I should keep carrying her in it, or get a different carrier that is made for heavier children? Or maybe I should make her walk! roll2.gif

Edited by ~*Rach*~, 05 September 2010 - 07:49 AM.

#12 Sal78

Posted 05 September 2010 - 05:04 PM

ergos are worth every cent. So good that I bought another 1 before they were even born (already had one). We used them from very early on and no you don't need a $30 infants head insert.

We went hiking when they were 2 mths old, interstate and a few overseas trips. It's great for traveling.

My sil bought 2 recently too and her only regret is not buying it much earlier as she could have gotten so much more use out of it.

How old are your babies? once they are sitting up, you can just find any trolley close by and sit them inside until you get inside then transfer them to a twin trolley.

The other way is to put one baby in trolley (anyone close by), one baby in ergo...get inside and transfer both babies into the twin trolley. If they are old enough u can get an upright target twin stroller. It's brilliant....it folds so small that if I want to, I can transfer both babies to a twin trolley and fold up the pram and put in the trolley too.

For childcare runs, you can request for the director to come out to car park and take your child in. Usually in the morn but in afternoon I will take the twins in so I can do the paperwork.

#13 Bearynice

Posted 09 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Thanks.. these are the exact reviews/comments i was after! answered all my questions!!! i have been getting groceries delivered.. this way i dont forget things while being distracted by my little beauties! i just spend 10mins and bingo a nice man delivers them to my dining table. so i have eliminated the ergo for the twin trolley thing for the time.
its mainly childcare and thinking of travelling-- and last time we checked the dbl pram we struggled to hang onto the kids for the hour or so with hand luggage etc. childcare is a nightmare--- the hallway/entrance is really not pram friendly. the baby room is up and around a corridor- but you have to make it through a kids dining room first. its like a maze. always checking that i havent collected a couple of 3 yr olds on the front of my pram when i get to the room!!!!!
thinking they sound like a winner...... might have to go try on in the shop and see if we are both comfy. thanks for the tips. and yes... think the hair needs a chop anyway..... just gotta find the time!that would avoid the ponytail in the face drama.
thanks for your answers. i'd be lost without you all!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How to tell if your child has a speech or language problem

Left untreated, children who start school with speech and language difficulties face an increased risk of reading and writing difficulties, more bullying, poorer peer relationships and less enjoyment of school. So, what should parents expect of children at different ages?

Finding your tribe as a new mum

How was my renegade mother's group different from my first? They were my kind of people. My tribe.

Following your child's emotional roadmap

Psychologist Angharad Candlin will guide parents through their child's emotional development during her seminar at the Essential Baby and Toddler Show in Sydney this weekend.

Delivery room surprises: when gender predictions are wrong

Out of all the questions asked of mums-to-be, “Do you know what you're having?” would be right up there in popularity. Sometimes,

The fertility battle we don't talk about

“You’re nowhere near menopausal,” my doctor cheerily informed me, and my heart sank. I don’t want to live with worry about pregnancy anymore.

'My morning sickness was so bad I'm not having any more kids'

“All the horrible stuff was totally worth it to have my son. But there is absolutely no way I could go through it all again.”

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Does this baby say 'I love you'?

She's only 10 weeks old, but this baby is already dividing people around the world.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

My Wellbeing

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.