Can lifting heavy objects cause miscarriage?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mimmibecca

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

I am 3 months pragnant and had a run in with the lady at the post office today. I live in a small country town and went to pick up a parcel. The lady at the post office almost refused to let me take the parcel (it was a box full of summer clothes for 2 children) because she said I would "kill my baby if I took it and carried it home". I live 2 streets away, and had to pick it up today as I wouldn't be able to any other day for 2 weeks (My DH has the car). I took the parcel anyway, it was heavy, but not too heavy I struggled to carry it. I only ended up carrying it about 50m when a neighbour was driving by and offered to drop it off at my house for me.

The post office lady said a few other things along the same line, and I just feel really stressed that I may have caused a miscarriage. DH is furious at the post office lady and assures me I would know sraight away if I had caused a miscarriage at this stage. We have had our NT scan and baby is growing perfectly, but I am just SO scared!

Does anyone know if I really could have killed my baby by carrying the heavy parcel?

#2 lafonda

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:38 AM

I was told no. Carrying something heavy will not cause a miscarriage. Something wrong on the inside causes miscarriage

#3 bonnybabe

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:49 AM

you will be fine.  They tell you not to lift very heavy things because your ligaments are soft so its easier to hurt yourself or strain your back etc.  Lifting things doesn't twinge your insides and dislodge the baby  biggrin.gif

That post office lady needs a good talking to, fancy telling someone they will kill their baby!!!

#4 Mimmibecca

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

She said that and more and in front of my 2 other young children too.

DH wants to make a big deal about it and complain, but in a small town it can be very difficult if you get a key town person like the post office lady off-side!

Thanks for your answers. I am anxious already about this pregnancy (no real reason, it has just all seemed too easy), and with pregnancy hormones, she has really stressed me out!

#5 Cluckster

Posted 24 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

At 10 weeks pg with #1, I heaved a 20kg box of tomatoes from a stall at the F&V market to my car. The next day I had a substantial bleed. Natually paranoia took over and I linked the two. With the passage of time, however, I realise it was just that: paranoia.

#6 tomnickshay

Posted 24 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

I was 10 weeks pg when we went to Disneyland and I went to the Dr to ask if it was safe to go on rollercoasters and rides. She basically said there is nothing you can do that will cause a miscarriage. A miscarriage will happen if its going to happen regardless of what you do.

Of course thats assuming you have a normal low risk pg

#7 Penguin78

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:25 PM

I am with your DH - i would complain. that is really not on for a person to say such awful things like that

you don't have to make a fuss, but just a calm, reasoned letter, cc'd to her boss, that you appreciated her concern, but that the hurtful way in which she gave her opinion really offended you and worried you, and that you have since followed up and found out its safe. she should firstly get her facts straight, and secondly watch what she says to a pregnant woman with two children... you could get a letter from your GP that says 'carrying up to * kilos is considered safe in pregnancy'.. to attach along with it..

she has some ISSUES!!

#8 Seuss

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Penguin78 @ 24/08/2010, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am with your DH - i would complain. that is really not on for a person to say such awful things like that

you don't have to make a fuss, but just a calm, reasoned letter, cc'd to her boss, that you appreciated her concern, but that the hurtful way in which she gave her opinion really offended you and worried you, and that you have since followed up and found out its safe. she should firstly get her facts straight, and secondly watch what she says to a pregnant woman with two children... you could get a letter from your GP that says 'carrying up to * kilos is considered safe in pregnancy'.. to attach along with it..

she has some ISSUES!!

This sounds like good advice - how aweful she has made you feel this way

#9 Alina0210

Posted 24 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

I lifted both my kids alltheoughout my pregnancy... You will know I it's too heavy for you to lift.

#10 bikingbubs

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:04 PM

In my line of work I do lots of lifting/bending etc and was advised the only reason to swap to lighter duties was because I do it all day long.

I asked if I was not meant to lift anything heavy at all, and they said that it is fine to do so if you feel okay (ie, your body will tell you if it is not ok!).

#11 cabbagepatch

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

I wouldn't complain - I know how hard life in a small town is...biggrin.gif

I wouldn't worry about people who are uneducated - dumb people say dumb stuff!

I would of carried the parcel too and probably just waved my neighbour on to prove a point to the old PO bag - but I'm just stubborn...Tounge1.gif

#12 katiered

Posted 24 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

i'm sure you will be fine but I wouldn't do it again. Heavy lifting can cause the placenta to tear away from the womb.
If you are worried go to the doctor to check. But you should be fine rolleyes.gif try not to stress.
I use to stress all the time about things when I was preggo too. it's normal.

#13 Kayti

Posted 25 August 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hi Mimm,

Oh my goodness! I also live in a smalltown area, where you don't want to upset some of the shop-keepers, but this lady was WAAAAAAY out of line, and I do think you should complain to Aus Post head office.

I can't beleive another woman could say things like that, especially in front of your children! What a horrible way to try to put a guilt trip on a mother!

As part of my home business making soaps etc, I always need to lift and carry heavy wholesale orders from the factory to car then from the carpark to the post office - they are normally 15 kg each, but I've started splitting them down into more managable 7-8kg boxes.

I can't halve the 25kg drums of oils I store in my factory though, so that's where hubby comes in *smile* My muscle man!

I hope you can have a somewhat restful and calm evening, as others have said, if a misscarriage is going to happen, it will, no stopping it - I know from past experience..

Rest well!
Kathy original.gif

#14 gfgirl

Posted 25 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (katiered @ 24/08/2010, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heavy lifting can cause the placenta to tear away from the womb.

This above - that is what was told and never lifted anything heavy even at shopping.  I know my friend lifts her 20 kilo 14 month old but i wouldn't do it when i was pregnant as i had tear issues with my previous pregnancy.  I was too scared to do the same thing just in case.

FYI  - i would not complain - if she made any other remark i would have a quiet word with her but i would leave it for now, esp in a country town - i am sure she was meaning well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.