Am I considered 'single'?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Tessied

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

I'm a bit confused about my own situation.

I don't live with my partner yet, and may not during the time I am off work with the baby, as he will most likely be training for a job on a campus (near to me anyway).  He also won't be earning a wage in these few months either!

We've never lived together.

Does that mean when I claim anything from the FAO etc, I would be classed as single?  What I am worried about is that they'd then expect I try and claim chid support?

Any ideas would be helpful original.gif

#2 blackbird

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:07 AM

I think you would be classed as single, its more for people who are living together, sharing money and expenses, you could just ring and ask.

Edited by blackbird, 19 August 2010 - 11:08 AM.

#3 Kafkaesque

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:20 AM

Yes I believe if you want to claim payments as a single parent they will expect you to also get child support. That said if your childs father is unemployed then it would be a very small amount.

#4 hills mum bec

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

I realise this is probably an entriely different situation but it may help.  My Mum is on a disability pension & has a boyfriend who is also a pensioner.  They decided to move in together living in her DP's house.  She had her own house to sell so deiceded that the would live some weekend at her house, some weekend at his house (about 2 hours travel between the 2) and would stay by themselves during the week until the house was sold.  My Mum did not want to leave her house empty until she knew it was sold which probably makes sense.  Anyway, a "friend" of my Mum's dobbed her into Centrelink who then conducted an investigation.  Centrelink had all the details of holidays they had taken together, what dates she wasn't at home etc (nice "friend" huh).  Mum was told that she could no longer claim a single pension & would have to apply for a spouse pension along with her DP.  Mum thought she wasn't doing anything wrong becase they were not yet 'living together' just spending some time at each others places & was intending to cancel her single pension as soon as she sold her house.  Centrelink told her that as soon as they had made a 'committment to each other & started staying over each othrs house regularly they were deemed to be in a relationship.  She was very distraught about this & her & DP had to pay her mortgage & his rent while only earning a lot less money between them.

Edited by hills mum bec, 19 August 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#5 Tessied

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:34 PM

Oh wow ok....I guess it might be more complicated than I thought.

I don't want to claim single parent pension, I only am thinking about FTB A & B etc.

He's also seperated but not yet officially divorced, so I guess that's going to make it even weirder!

#6 JRA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

don't want to claim single parent pension, I only am thinking about FTB A & B etc

But they vary based on being single or not.

Truthfully, you can't have it both ways.

He is your partner or not. If he isn't, he should pay child support

#7 crazyandlovingit

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:58 PM

CL would consider you to be partnered in this situation.

And if you decide to go down the roadof claiming as being single then he will have to pay child support.

#8 Carmie

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

I would say you were partnered. My DH and I constantly live in different states due to work but just because we dont live together in the same house doesnt mean we aren't in a relationship, this also happened before we were married but still had children together.

#9 Tessied

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

Hmm ok.  I thought you'd have to be sharing something financially at the time or have lived together!  I don't think his wages would effect much anyway as they won't be much due to his studying.

#10 justthegirls

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:02 PM

Do you consider yourself as single?

He is the father of your child and if I've understood correctly you plan to live together at some point in the future.  To me you are in a relationship.

#11 Tessied

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:45 PM

I consider myself partnered, but as we have lived completely separately financially and will be at the time, I didn't think we'd be considered LEGALLY as anything, I thought you'd have to be defacto or married to be considered partnered.

#12 JRA

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

Well if you consider yourself single, he will need to pay child support.

#13 It's Me

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

It sounds like you are trying to find loopholes to get more money from the government.

It is really not that difficult - you are either in a relationship or you're not.  If your partner is not earning much money, then that will reflect on your FTB payments anyway.

#14 samagard

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:40 PM

It sounds like you are trying to find loopholes to get more money from the government.

How is that assumption going for you  rolleyes.gif
If she was trying to do that she would claim single pension which she has already said she isn't doing.

OP
Best to go in and see someone at Centrelink. Yes you are in a relationship, but if you do not live together, and do not share any finances, without regular nights staying over (ie every weekend or something similar) then you are classed as single.

#15 Tessied

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (YouAre! @ 19/08/2010, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is really not that difficult - you are either in a relationship or you're not.  If your partner is not earning much money, then that will reflect on your FTB payments anyway.

It sounds like you shouldn't be so rude and assume things about people based on, well...nothing.

I don't think it's simple AT ALL, hence questions.  I don't think it's really 'out there' to wonder if single parenting is based on FINANCES, and not 'oh well we love each other and hold hands'.

#16 noone special

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

legally yes, morally no

#17 Tessied

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (somebody_new @ 19/08/2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is that assumption going for you  rolleyes.gif
If she was trying to do that she would claim single pension which she has already said she isn't doing.

OP
Best to go in and see someone at Centrelink. Yes you are in a relationship, but if you do not live together, and do not share any finances, without regular nights staying over (ie every weekend or something similar) then you are classed as single.

Thank you (on both counts).  Because I'm unsure of where'll we be come Dec/Jan (ie, if his course finishes early, this won't be an issue most likely), I don't want to rush into centrelink about it, and I still have months before I'm even off work.

The 'problem' I had is if I declare myself as single, I'd then have to go officially for child support, which considering our circumstances feels a bit silly, but OTOH, might just be the drawback.

#18 Green Fairy

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

C/L will consider you partnered.

#19 samagard

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:00 PM

Tessied
I think just wait and see how the situation pans out.
Then go see Centrelink. Unless someone on Eb has written the current centrelink policies on partnered/single parenting payment, no one is going to know how they will view you.

Perhaps by the end of the year the situation may have changed.

Edited by somebody_new, 19 August 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#20 It's Me

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:37 PM

How is that assumption going for you

It's not an assumption, it's how it appears to me.  She is in a relationship, yet she doesn't know whether to declare she's in a relationship incase it causes her payments to decrease.....am I wrong??   shrug.gif

The FTB takes into consideration what your combined income is, so if your partner is not earning very much, then you should still get the max rate anyway.

This may be of some use to you: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...03_0907en_p.pdf

ETA - Do you think he intends to not contribute to anything whilst you are living apart?  Even if he is on little income I highly doubt that he won't contribute financially somewhere along the line.  That is why you'd be considered partnered.

Edited by YouAre!, 19 August 2010 - 09:51 PM.

#21 Tessied

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (YouAre! @ 19/08/2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not an assumption, it's how it appears to me.  She is in a relationship, yet she doesn't know whether to declare she's in a relationship incase it causes her payments to decrease.....am I wrong??   shrug.gif

The FTB takes into consideration what your combined income is, so if your partner is not earning very much, then you should still get the max rate anyway.

This may be of some use to you: http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/inte...03_0907en_p.pdf

Again, it's because we SHARE NOTHING financially!  NOTHING!  He could earn $1 or $100 and it doesn't help or hinder me.

There are always legal aspects to 'relationships' aren't there?  There's a difference between a married couple, a defacto couple, a dating couple, a same sex couple?  It's not as simple as 'we're going out, yay'.

So yeah, if they are going to take what he's earning right now into consideration of what I can earn while I am not working, I would prefer to avoid that, considering I have no access to his money and so do not benefit from it.

Not everyone knows about centrelink stuff - I have worked full time for years and never claimed a thing, so instead of assuming I'm trying to rip the government off, how about you assume I just don't find it clear what makes someone LEGALLY bound to another.

#22 blackbird

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

Does that mean every boyfriend you get you have to now say you are partnered even though you are in separate households etc.? i think a lot of men will run far away from anyone one center-link if thats the case!

I was harassed by center-link when I was a teen because they believed that one of the men I was living with must be my partner, even though we all had separate bedrooms and separate finances.

If he is still technically married then does that make him still in a 'partnership' with the ex too? they ARE legally joined till divorce

#23 justthegirls

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

You are LEGALLY bound together by the child that you SHARE.

#24 It's Me

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:55 PM

Not everyone knows about centrelink stuff - I have worked full time for years and never claimed a thing, so instead of assuming I'm trying to rip the government off, how about you assume I just don't find it clear what makes someone LEGALLY bound to another.

Ease up!  I never bloody assumed anything - I said it was how it appeared to me.  

Well, just because you have shared nothing in the past, doesn't mean you won't share anything once the baby is here (which is when you will get the FTB anyway - you won't get it before it is born).

Like I said, he is bound to contribute financially somewhat once the baby is here, so if you don't want to claim child support then yes I do think you'll be considered as partnered....because you are.

Edited by YouAre!, 19 August 2010 - 09:57 PM.

#25 blackbird

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (bcbk @ 19/08/2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You are LEGALLY bound together by the child that you SHARE.

no it just makes you both bound to the child, not each other.

if you go for single, you will have to through the child support stuff, it would probably be 'easier' just to claim that he is a partner, if he actually agrees to it! he needs to be happy with that too

Edited by blackbird, 19 August 2010 - 10:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.