Forget "bogans" - now it's all about the "Faux-gan"
Who do you think belongs in this new category?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Babybear

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I couldn't resist this - seeing as how EBland is so into the "bogan" phenomena.

There was an article in last Sunday's paper suggesting there is a new sub-category and it is the rise of the "Faux-gan" as apposed to the original "bogan".

Apparently this next generation are educated, rich and famous and according to the author of this article our newest Prime Minister has faux-ganism down to a fine art. As do the actors Sam Worthington and Russel Crowe to name a few.

I'd say Bob Hawke was the original "faux-gan" - can't think of anyone else ATM though.

Supposedly anyone who dumbs down their vocabularly in particular but also ways of doing things in order not to stand out (and ingratiate themselves) in certain crowds is guilty of this.

So WDYT - who else belongs in this category?

#2 Theophobic

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:43 PM

Vanilla Ice

#3 Guest_Descentia_*

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:45 PM

Oh FFS Theo, now I have that in my ****ing head.

#4 Helena Handbasket

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (Descentia @ 06/08/2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh FFS Theo, now I have that in my ****ing head.

me too....

...."alright stop, collaborate and listen......"

So faux-ganism is like lamb dressed up as mutton????

Is faux-gan more desirable than bogan? What is the'-ogan' heirachy???

#5 Guest_She-Ra_*

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:53 PM

Lara Bingle

#6 Theophobic

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:30 PM

LOL le_petit_poisson is it creepy that I was in the shower before thinking the exact same thing. "Hang on, Lara IS a bogan".

Edited by Theophobic, 06 August 2010 - 10:40 PM.

#7 Octopus

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (She-Ra @ 06/08/2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lara Bingle

I thought the idea of a faux-gan was that they were NOT actually a bogan but pretended to be in order to ingratiate themselves with the bogue?

In which case, Lara Bingle is just a bogan. Tounge1.gif

#8 Octopus

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (She-Ra @ 06/08/2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lara Bingle

I thought the idea of a faux-gan was that they were NOT actually a bogan but pretended to be in order to ingratiate themselves with the bogue?

#9 Havachat2

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:29 PM

Kyle Sandilands?  ph34r.gif

#10 RichardParker

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (le_petit_poisson @ 06/08/2010, 10:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree, Lara Bingle is nouveau-bogan-riche (I've just coined the term, so please credit me in all subsequent references), but a genuine bogan nonetheless.

#11 WonkieTonkie

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:45 PM

Agree, Lara Bingle is nouveau-bogan-riche (I've just coined the term, so please credit me in all subsequent references), but a genuine bogan nonetheless.

I think the term is 'CUB'?  Cashed up bogan Tounge1.gif

#12 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (Babybear @ 06/08/2010, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As do the actors Sam Worthington

He is from Rockingham ... so he is probably just plain ol Bogan.
Top 10 Bogan suburbs in Australia
laughing2.gif

#13 RichardParker

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE (WonkieTonkie @ 06/08/2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the term is 'CUB'?  Cashed up bogan Tounge1.gif

I disagree.  A CUB is merely one step up from a bogan - able to afford a McMansion, hotted-up super-car, and plasma tv - but all on finance.

A nouveau-riche bogan is a 'step up' (financially speaking) again.  Lara Bingle probably leased her Aston Martin, but the engagement ring would've been purchased outright (albeit by whatisname).

Posh Spice and David Beckham are another example of the nouveau-riche bogan.

#14 Helena Handbasket

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:55 PM

QUOTE (cathode @ 06/08/2010, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He is from Rockingham ... so he is probably just plain ol Bogan.
Top 10 Bogan suburbs in Australia
laughing2.gif

that list is clearly flawed.... Mount Druitt in NSW wasn't there.... That is THE bogan capital of the world (highest concentration of furniture on front 'lawn' per capita)

#15 Helena Handbasket

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:01 AM

Bec Cartwright/Hewitt.....

From the uber-bogan suburb of Riverstone (affectionately known as 'Rivo')

#16 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:06 AM

Bingle's Aston Martin wasn't leased, it was bought for her by Michael Clarke.

CUB isn't just McMansion and plasma TV, it's been used to describe Bingle and Bec and Lleyton.

#17 Sweet like a lemon

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:59 AM

Kyle Sandlilands is pondscum not bogan.

And don't any of you dare say a word about Sammy.

#18 Velociraptor

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

We're about to move to Ipswich... Go the Bogan Top 10! Guess I'll have to turn bogan. Yes, turn bogan.  wwhistle.gif

Edited by Diamantinasaurus, 07 August 2010 - 09:21 AM.

#19 Posh_Girl

Posted 07 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

Bec and Lleyton, Lara, Kyle et al are not fauxgans. They are CUBs.

Russell Crowe is the perfect example of a fauxgan. Grew up in Vaucluse, educated in top schools - certainly not a true bogan.

But his love of VB, rugby league, those hideous Shane Warne style wrap around sunglasses, Winnie Blues, and hideous polyester tracksuits scream bogan. Therefore he is a fauxgan

#20 writestuff

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:37 AM

What about Eric Bana - real or faux?

#21 Madam_Mummy

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (FITIMI @ 06/08/2010, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
that list is clearly flawed.... Mount Druitt in NSW wasn't there.... That is THE bogan capital of the world (highest concentration of furniture on front 'lawn' per capita)

OI!!! I grew up in Mt Druitt and still live not too far from there... Proud to be a Westie blush.gif But, its true about the whole furniture thing, over grown grass, rusted out old cars, kids running around in winter with just nappies on, you get my drift, depends on where you go though... Glad my parents had a tad more class and I grew up in areas that DIDNT do this.

But with all that said I would say that Eric Banner and Russell Crowe for sure!!!! But I love these guys

#22 Madam_Mummy

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (Diamantinasaurus @ 07/08/2010, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We're about to move to Ipswich... Go the Bogan Top 10! Guess I'll have to turn bogan. Yes, turn bogan.  wwhistle.gif

I got a friend who lives there, apparently every one walks around with no shoes on

#23 76 others

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:06 PM

I Think people are missing the point and are just stating bogans.

Mine is k rudd. Trying to make himself sound "every man" in interviews and when he was on rove. Fair suck of the sauce bottle. He just sounded like a wank.

Edited by Gloriosa, 07 August 2010 - 02:08 PM.

#24 niggles

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:11 PM

Eric Bana can be whatever he wants...mmm...

#25 ~Nodnol~

Posted 07 August 2010 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (writestuff @ 07/08/2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What about Eric Bana - real or faux?

No, he is just hot.  cool.gif

Russell Crowe fits the criteria perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.