Brazillian Waxing when pregnant
who's had it done?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 bubba ship

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

Sorry for the TMI, but needed some advice!

I had the last brazillian done at 20 weeks and it was more painful than usual. I'm due for another one soon (28 weeks), then again at about 36 weeks.

I've heard the 36 weeks one is not a good idea - but I don't know why...
but i prefer it not to be so hairydown there, especially if there will be tearing/stiches.

any thoughts on what i should do?

blink.gif

#2 cansei de ser sexy

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

I bruised like nothing else so stopped getting it done in the third trimester. I kept everything tidy with clippers instead.

The first wax after baby is the easiest one of your life - it's not just the hair on your head that falls out original.gif

#3 Glitterz

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:53 PM

I had a g string wax (Im a woos and cant get the courage to do a brazillian...) at 37 weeks to be ready for labour for the same reasons as yourself.
'It was fine!  No bruising... a little painful, but I dont think it was any worse than any other time... I just sucked it up.

In saying that though.... I have regrowth already... doh!  (39 weeks today).... so not sure how Im going to go about preparing for labour again..... shave I guess.. double doh!

Good luck with everything!

#4 MrsNorthman

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:55 PM

I had mine done with no drama's at all...and had a touch up at 39 weeks...lol...

#5 peace.love.respect

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:59 PM

glad u asked tthis OP .. im almost 28w. thinking about just getting the g string wax though while pregnant. my hair grows soooo fast though with these hormones! so im unsure of when to get it done. dont want to leave it too late but dont want to get it done too soon because as PP has said about regrowth. mmmmm. would like to know what others have done  original.gif

#6 lynneyours

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:08 PM

DD1 I was au-naturel as I couldn't be bothered as I couldn't see it.   biggrin.gif   But I was quite embarrassed in labour and then dealing with the stitches and bleeding with hair too was nit that nice.

For DD2, I got a full Brazilian at 39 weeks and 5 days.  I went into labour the next day.  It was much nicer dealing with the bleeding and stitches with no hair to bother about.  And I wasn't self conscious in labour either.  

I felt more sensitive than usual, but the waxing lady was gentle and it didn't hurt more than usual.

#7 credence

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for this thread. I've never had a Brazilian and am considering getting one tomorrow at 39 weeks. I need some courage!

#8 Glitterz

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

credence:  do it do it do it!!!!

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:16 PM

I had my first Brazilian at 32wks PG and then a follow up at 36wks PG (bubs decided to make an entrance at 36w3d wink.gif )

Yes it was  ohmy.gif  the first time (and spots of blood), but fine the 2nd time.

#10 Vicotira

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:21 PM

i had a g-string at 32 weeks and i felt it hurt way less than it ever has before. i'm definitely getting one again before my due date. totally worth it IMO!

#11 bubba ship

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Thanks guys! I'm already grateful I don't have to do it so often and can leave it 8-10 weeks between waxes, so I'll just suck it up and get it done original.gif

when I'm bruised and waddle out of the salon, at least peple will think it's coz of my belly!

Have a lovely evening ladies!
X

#12 Kitteh

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Warning - I had a brazilian at 39 weeks and it was the most painful one I've EVER had.... I was even bleeding afterwards. My beautician commented on how deep the roots were - I guess it is probably because of the extra blood flow in the area?

Anyway - I reckon you should do it anyway OP - I had a c-section and it meant that I didnt have to be shaved / clipped by the nurses before hand.

#13 BabyChloe

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:09 PM

For me I found the pain decreased during pregnancy.

There is an old thread about this in the archives, To Bush or Brazil.. I think that was it.  Quite a good read original.gif.

I have a question!  Can anyone recommend a cream for ingrown hairs?  I get a few of these and someone on here once said there is a little tube of something that is like a miracle cure.  Any advice?

#14 STB4

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:31 PM

I had a g string wax at about 30 weeks and plan to get a Brazilian next week. hopefully missy will not come late as I don't want to have to get it done again before she arrives! I'm mostly doing it to make maintenance a bit easier after the birth and I just have this feeling that she might come early (I know, I'm deluded) so I want to get it done sooner rather than later.

#15 beigegirl

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

I had one last time a month before I was due, I remember it was OK.

Would love to do it again but I think I probably shouldn't as I have "labial variscosities" - yuck yuck yuck I can't subject any therapist to have to deal with the horror of what that must look like by now!

#16 ecb

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:17 AM

Once I hit about 28 weeks I couldn't see it anymore or reach it to do anything about it and shaving my legs was becoming super tricky.  I normally stick to the g-string wax but at this point I went to the beautician and told her that if I can't see it to groom it then I want it gone.  Had it done again at around 34 weeks and then had the babies at 38 weeks.  I wasn't so fussed about it being completely hairfree so long as it was not messy and long.  It was definitely easier dealing with the gunk after birth and feeling much cleaner with just a little spikey regrowth.

I've never had a full brazillian whilst not pregnant so can't compare the pain.  It definitely hurts but if you have a good quick beautician then at least it doesn't last too long. My beautician told me that when you are in late pregnancy, the adrenalin rush you get due to the pain of a brazillian can cause labour.  Don't know how true this is but she was pretty convinced and said she has a friend who went into labour mere hours after she gave her a brazillian at 40 weeks (imagine having your friend do your brazillian - no thanks!).

#17 Guest_Covert_*

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:11 AM

I've been getting the brazilian done every 4 weeks for 10 years, including all through my pregnancy and I haven't found it has made any difference whatsoever.

#18 *jennywren*

Posted 23 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Same as Covert.... I've been having it done every 4-5 weeks for years and found it no different during pregnancy. I timed my last one to be at around 39 weeks, and DD came two days later so it was perfect! No mess, nothing to clean up after giving birth, and I had another 4 weeks or so to recover before the next one.

I did briefly wonder what my OB thought... but he said nothing, I said nothing so the topic never came up. I guess he would see all sorts of variations and probably didn't even notice... at least, that's what I tell myself original.gif

#19 mojo76

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

I have always been an epilator girl, and just trimmed otherwise. But I had a g-string wax done at 28 weeks and was due for a Brazilian this week but have a cold -- I've rescheduled to next week.

I plan to have one more done before this bub arrives in mid-September.

I don't know whether it's because I'm used to the 'sting' of the Emjoi or what, but I didn't find the pain of waxing too bad at 28 weeks. We'll see whether next week is a different story. laugh.gif

#20 KeepTheFaith

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:16 PM

I've been having them done for nearly 10 years. I'm 36 weeks, and had one yesterday (have been having them every 4 weeks). I'd say it hurt a little more than usual, but that was because I was more 'sensitive' to the heat, rather than the pain. But in the grand scheme of things, it was fine. I have another 'touch up' booked for 39 weeks wink.gif

With regards to cream for in-grown hairs, I have found that regular gentle use of a loofah glove (got one from the Body Shop) has helped with stopping them from happening. And using a body wash with a gentle anti-bacterial agent is also good on the glove.

Go for it!

#21 LeTigre

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:18 PM

Great topic! Been wondering about this myself

I've been a religious brazillion girl for years but stopped altogether during pregnancy - as a money-saving exercise, rather than anything else. I've trimmed now and then with clippers. But now I can't see down there anymore so its getting a little unkempt.

Sounds like a lot of people have had ok experiences with it, so I'm going to book one in!

#22 credence

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

Just thought I'd let you know that I just came back from getting my first ever Brazilian at 39 weeks pregnant. Oh the pain! The girl was very sympathetic. She said, "I can't believe you chose a week before you give birth to have your first brazilan wax!"

That said, I feel strangely satisfied now. Now time to surprise DH!

#23 GONE

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (BabyChloe @ 22/07/2010, 07:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a question!  Can anyone recommend a cream for ingrown hairs?  I get a few of these and someone on here once said there is a little tube of something that is like a miracle cure.  Any advice?

Ive used Nads i think it is ingrown hair solution... its really good!!! its in a green bottle and baout $10... but FYI, DO NOT! put it on directly after shaving or waxing.... i didn read the bottle properly and did this and OMG the burn was unbelievable LOL. Also, exfoliate the area first and apply aloe vera cream/gel afterwards... works a charm for me and hardly any razor rash and ingrowns.

As for the titled topic... i have always been too scared to wax... I was considering it when preg with DD, but just stuck to shaving the lot off :|

#24 bubba ship

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:38 PM

credence, congratulations on your first ever FULL wax. it takes a lot of courage to get it done for the first time!

ingrown hair - exfoliating glove with detol or sapoderm soap, then moisturise...seems to make the hairs come our more easily. if i do get one, tea-tree oil does the trick.

whoever suggested the previous thread about this "bush or brazil"... thanks, as it made for some hilarious reading!!! laughing2.gif

xx bubba ship

#25 MilliMooi

Posted 23 July 2010 - 01:52 PM

Great Topic!

I've been doing IPL for a couple of years and was just planning a top up session when I found out I was pregnant.
I've now been shaving a bit to keep things at bay but now I have no visibility of the area things are getting untidy.

I can't devide whether the brave the brazillian of shave everything off just before the bith and book in for IPL after.

Thanks to PP who recommended NADS for ingrowns!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'Tired' mum dies of undiagnosed diabetes

New mum Nicky Rigby thought her exhaustion was due to the demands of looking after her baby. But the 26-year-old was seriously ill with diabetes, and died due to her condition not being diagnosed.

20 signs of a great relationship

The secret to a perfect relationship is admitting you are wrong after an argument, five kisses a day and sex twice a week, a new survey suggests.

Video: emotional 60-second Robin Williams tribute

Take a minute to remember some of the greatest films of your childhood ... and have a few tissues close at hand.

The realities of escaping domestic violence

?Why doesn?t she just leave?? is the common question people ask when trying to understand domestic violence. For many, leaving the relationship is far from straightforward.

Home truths: the DIY dos and don'ts

A professional renovator gives advice on which jobs you should do yourself, and which you should outsource.

Parenting lessons I?ve yet to learn

Instead of writing about the stuff I do know since becoming a mum, I thought I'd share some of the things I don't. These are the lessons that motherhood hasn't taught me.

Will I be wrecked 'down there' after birth?

Did you worry about how you would look "down there" after giving birth? This mum-to-be found plenty of women willing to share their knowledge.

The new weekend playgroup for working mums

Playgroups are great for kids and parents alike - but the downside is that they often meet during the week, leaving working mums out of the loop.

Letting your toddler be the boss at bedtime

Sick of spending hours trying to get your toddler to sleep? These experts say giving your child more of a say at bedtime might be the answer.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

Consulting 'Dr Google' when you're pregnant

We're all guilty of turning to the internet for a quick answer when we need medical advice, but Dr Google should be approached with caution - especially when you're pregnant.

16 ways to tie a scarf

Scarfs are the perfect winter accessory. Whether you're freezing at soccer training or wanting to add a splash of colour to a monochrome top, the right scarf will sort you out in no time. Just ask Nina Proudman.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

The simple way to support other parents

We may be raising children of different ages and sexes, with different personalities, but we, as parents, aren't that different - we all have similar struggles, fears, doubts, responsibilities.

Seeing the big picture when it comes to parenting

Sometimes it feels like hundreds of tiny cracks are spreading across the surface of our lives, creeping slowly into the foundations and threatening to make them crumble. How do we hold it all together?

How to spot a lactaboobiephobia sufferer

Lactation consultant Meg Nagle refused to stay silent when Facebook removed two photos of her breastfeeding. Instead, she coined a term to describe those who don't recognise breastfeeding for the natural and non-sexual act that it is.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Smiggle is painting the town red!

We have 3 Red Smiggle prize packs to give away! Enter by posting a photo of something red to your Instagram.

Mum gives birth at school

Most kids have their own personal brand of oddity. Others, like these 10 weird habits, crop up again and again.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.