Despondent ...
will recover tho, I'm sure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 07 July 2010 - 12:59 PM

After a few months of to-ing and fro-ing, DH and I made the decision not to try for #3.  

I was definitely more keen, it was something I immediately wanted virtually as soon as #2 was born, as soon as I laid eyes on her, which was a little strange because I'd never had any desire to have more than 2 kids.  Even now, looking at my two children playing, I sometimes think the picture is not complete.

But, DH was surprised with the idea (and so he should be, we'd always said two kids would be plenty for us). And after a few months of getting him to think about it, we did lots of talking.  And I never wanted him to feel pressured into agreeing - it needed to be something that we both wanted, not simply that one of us wanted and the other just went along with it to keep the peace.  And I didn't want him to be guilted into it, that would be awful.

So, the upshot is that DH doesn't feel the need or urge to have a third child.  And while I accept that (and all his reasons are very reasonable and logical), I feel so sad about it, so empty.  I will get over this eventually - we are so lucky to have the children we have, it's more than I ever hoped for.  But I still wanted 3 children.

Just needed to get it off my mind.  Chin up now, back to life ....

#2 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

i feel EXACTLY the same way. dh and i always agreed on just 2 children and the possibility of a 3rd, but after the twins were born i felt the need for one more, dh however is in the same place as your dh, he doesn't have the desire for another and i could never guilt or pressure him into bringing a child into the world knowing it isnt what he really wants.

my dh has said that he would think about it more when my twins are in school, but i wont be holding my breath lol.

#3 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (mad madam mim @ 07/07/2010, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i feel EXACTLY the same way. dh and i always agreed on just 2 children and the possibility of a 3rd, but after the twins were born i felt the need for one more, dh however is in the same place as your dh, he doesn't have the desire for another and i could never guilt or pressure him into bringing a child into the world knowing it isnt what he really wants.

my dh has said that he would think about it more when my twins are in school, but i wont be holding my breath lol.

Ah, you have time on your side.  It's either now or never for us - I am getting close to 40 and DH goes over that line in a couple of months.  So, we either bite the bullet and go for it now or we miss that boat forever.

Wish we had the luxury of time but we didn't meet until later in life, took a while to hook up, fall pregnant the first time, etc, etc.

I think DH would be more receptive to the idea if we were 5-10 years younger, but not so now ...

#4 Julie3Girls

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:49 PM

So, the upshot is that DH doesn't feel the need or urge to have a third child

I guess for me, if I felt strongly about wanting a 3rd, and he didn't feel a "need" for a 3rd, I'd be looking at does he feel strongly about NOT wanting a child.

To me there is a difference between not actually wanting a 3rd, and just not feeling an urge for a 3rd, if you know what I mean.

I agree about not wanting to force my husband to have a 3rd child, but I would hope there would be some feelings the other way, my husband not wanting to force me to settle, when he didn't feel strongly one way or the other.

So hard to make a decision like that ....

#5 marylouise

Posted 07 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

This might sound silly, but I feel like I'm going through a mourning period realising that I'm not having anymore children.  I have a 4 month old (my third) & would love more, but its just not practical & DH doesn't want any more.  I've just (reluctantly) given away my 0000 clothes & my maternity clothes whereas in the past they have always gone in the cupboard "for next time".  sad.gif  I'm really sad.  I love being pregnant.  I love having a newborn..but there will be no more...

PMF I hope that you can reconcile with your feelings over this very soon & don't live with a feeling of regret.  Good luck.

#6 ms flib

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

I really understand what the PP wrote about mourning the loss of a future child. It's not silly at all. I spent a couple of years after my third was born in disbelief that I would never be pregnant again or have another baby. I am resolved with it now - three is more than enough. There's another side to it - this baby hunger.

Anyway now I have a mirena (so no accidents) and we're getting on with things as our kids grow up.

These are very real feelings that we need to acknowledge.

Best wishes

#7 Bami

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

After I had my DS2 I also felt that the picture wasn't complete and wanted to have one more child. DH wasn't very keen and I figured I had been blessed with two healthy boys and was grateful for that fact. I got rid of all my baby stuff. Then DH said 'okay - shall we have one more?'. So we had another one.

Although I love him to bits (DS3) and wouldn't change things now, I would have been okay with two. Life certainly would have been a lot easier. Even now I find myself thinking about how I could be doing this or that if DS3 wasn't around, like when the older two go to bed at 7.30pm every night however DS3 is still demanding attention until 9pm and then I have to sleep in his bed with him to get him to go to sleep, when I should be getting my uni work done!

I think the common phrase around EB 'You never regret the children you have, but you may regret the children you don't have' is misleading.

I think all women should think very carefully before having more kids. Yes they are adorable, and lovely and babies are just wonderful but now I just think about babies/pregnancy and think how I will have no time to do anything for myself, even sleep.

Perhaps I am getting selfish in my old age though... or perhaps I just know that my family is well and truly complete (no cluckiness here whatsoever!), or maybe I am a mum that is totally over school holidays only days into them!!!!

All the best on whatever you decide.

#8 goldimouse

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Like a PP, I'd talk together and weigh up how badly you DO want another against how badly he DOESN'T want another.

#9 2plusoops

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

I fully understand where you're at.  Although I always wanted lots of kids, we also didn't meet til later in life and agreed 2 children was enough - DD now 4 and DS now 2.5.  But we had an 'accident', another DD now 9 months old.   Although I was happy with our decision to stop after two children, since DD2's birth I have found myself wanting another very much but DH doesn't.  I fully understand his reasoning - our ages, finances etc, all very logical and reasonable ........ but understanding that doesn't help.  

I should be happy with the three happy healthy kids we have - and I am, don't get me wrong.  I'd never force him or deliberately get pregnant without his agrement, but everyday a part of me hopes that he'll come home from work and say 'lets have another'.   I know this feeling will pass eventually, at least I hope it will.

Hmm .... sorry OP nothing here to help you, you just a like minded soul  wink.gif

#10 marylouise

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

oops - wrong posting...

Edited by marylouise, 07 July 2010 - 04:34 PM.

#11 harrison~at~last

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:49 PM

We had only ever planned 2 children about 3 years apart.  I think we both would have been satisfied with this, complete even.  Someone upstairs had different plans for us though LOL we're both happy about it, but it is pretty overwhelming, and I know DH worries a lot about providing for a larger family than we'd 'agreed' on.

#12 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thank you for all the responses.  I think it's been hard because over the past few months, DH has been flipping back and forth.  It's only been in the last month or so that he has stayed on the "no more" side and I think that is largely to do with the fact that we have just got a mortgage again.  A 3rd child would mean a bigger car (no question), a bigger house (eventually), etc.  Plus, he's getting older.  And he doesn't want to 'jinx' us.  I thought I was going to be able to swing him over to my side but I also don't want to make a big issue about it as he might just start feeling forced and then it's all over red rover.  I would feel so frustrated if in 3 months he brings it up again and says yes he does, and there is 3 months gone (which is critical when you are hitting up to 40, trust me!)

Yes, I am very thankful for the two happy and healthy girls that we have now.  In many ways, I can't imgaine it could get any better (then, on other days, I wonder how much worse it could possibly get!  biggrin.gif )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.