160 replies to this topic

#1 Nee

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

New thread time.  original.gif

Link to last thread.

#2 Leha

Posted 06 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hi Girls

Just thought I'd pop in and update everyone on how things are going. Has been a hell of a week as DD has been really sick since Thursday and I probably only had a few hours sleep in total for about 3 nights. Anyway had my meeting with the maternity manager and unfortunaley wont be able to take my own birth pool in which is a bummer. Showed her my birth plan and seems ok with everything else (no continuous monitoring, no cannula etc). Think I will aim to stay home as long as possible and try and get there with hopefully only a few hours to go. Have requested GBS at 39 weeks instead of 37 and am probably going to try the tea tree oil or garlic thing that one of the other posters mentioned.

Baby is still head down and hopefully wont turn now. yay!!! Had my obs appointment and he seemed very confident that I had a good chance and very positive so was happy with that. I am starting to feel I have a real shot at this. Will start using my epi-no this week. Cant wait for that (not!!!).  Now I just have to practice my breathing and work on positioning and I will be ready.

Also Melissa F and I are going to try and meet up next Monday. If anyone from Sydney wishes to join us let me know.

Cheers
Leah

#3 Belly82

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

i will join this group soon....well techinically i can  wink.gif  BUT as its early days i want to make sure its sticks sooooo i will lurk and stalk a little while longer till i get my dating scan done in 2 weeks to confirm and see bubs hearbeat etc....

im hoping to achieve a VBA2C....

Edited by Belly82, 11 July 2010 - 06:11 PM.

#4 JennAN

Posted 12 July 2010 - 08:24 PM

Hope your little girl gets better soon Leha.  Being pregnant is tiring enough without being up all night with a sick child.

Thought I'd give an update too.  I had an appointment with the ob today.  I am 37 weeks on Wednesday so it is getting close.  All things are looking good for the VBAC, so it is just a matter of waiting to go into labour now and seeing how it goes.  Hopefully I won't go too far over due (if at all) as the baby is measuring on the larger side.

I'm starting to get pretty anxious and am having some pretty strange/scary dreams about being in labour.

Anyway, we will see what happens.  Hope everyone else is doing well.

#5 ackel

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:09 PM

Hi all, I thought I would introduce myself and join this group. I am 21 weeks and really hoping for a VBAC... My ob is really supportive and low interventionalist so lets hope my body can do it.

Last labour - spont @ 40+9, baby never engaged... waters broke at 4cm, fully dilated 6 hours later, never got that pushy feeling like I hear you get, baby still to high to vacuum out so c-section. I did have a epidural which I am going to try and avoid this time for a more active birth... I think I need that to birth this baby vaginally. Hopefully babys head was in a funny position, she wasnt posterior though.

So is anyone heard of things we can do to help birth vaginally? I am keeping fit (walking daily with the dog and toddler), seeing chiro, will head off to see acupunturist at about 30 weeks, looking into calm/hypno birthing (which is the Aust version?), will be bouncing on my fit ball in the last trimester. I took rasperberry leaf last time from 36 weeks, is anyone else doing the same? What do you all know about sage oil and evening primrose?

Goodluck to you all who wish to birth vaginally, I hope we all succeed... I know this time if I dint I will be really disappointed so need to make sure I have researched all I can so if it soesnt happen at least I have tried.

Will be thinking of you JennAn over the next few weeks

Edited by beingmumisgreat, 13 July 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#6 SpiltMilk

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:17 PM

Hi everyone,

It was great meeting up with you, Leah!

JennAN - Do you listen to any pregnancy relaxation CDs? I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing anxiety about labour. I've popped a link in to Julie Clarke's CDs, which I've been listening to nearly every night. In particular, CD #2 and CD#3. Very positive, relaxing, helpful for getting back to sleep if you are awake in the middle of the night.

beingmumisgreat - calmbirth is the Australian version. Either is very helpful, but if I had a choice I would do calmbirth. It's newer, and I think more real than some of the hypnobirthing course material.

Welcome belly82!

I'm getting closer to my due date now. 34 weeks today! Hooray! Only 3 more weeks until I am okay to have a waterbirth in the birth centre (i.e. you must be 37 weeks). I'm in a bit of a hurry. My belly is so uncomfortable!

#7 Akeyo

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Gee it's been a bit quiet in here lately! I've been a bit MIA myself as DS (19mths) has fallen into a terrible sleep hole the past 8-9 weeks and it's taken a huge toll on me as the ONLY person he will allow to settle him day or night. But I do think we may be turning a corner at long last.

Leah - Sorry to hear about your sick little one and I empathise with the lack of sleep. It’s a killer when you’re this pregnant isn’t it? That’s a shame about not being able to take your birth pool in too. I suppose at least this way you can have it set up and, more importantly filled up, in plenty of time for you to get the most out of it at home. It’s great that bubs is head down and that you are feeling so strong and positive. I’ll be interested to know how you go with the Epi-No. Are you doing it as part of that trial?

Belly82 - Welcome. Have you had your dating scan yet? Hope everything is going well.

JennAN -  Wow, you are close! I can understand some nerves might be setting in and those full on pregnancy dreams don’t help sometimes. Just remember all the preparation and work you’ve put in towards this labour and birth and that each one is different. I second Melissa’s suggestion about listening to relaxation CDs. I have a birth affirmation one by Marie Mongan (Hypnobirthing) that really helps to calm me down. I’ll be  ph34r.gif  for news...

beingmumisgreat - Sounds like you’re doing all the right things. I definitely recommend doing either the Calmbirth or Hypnobirthing course. DP and I did the latter and got SO much out of it. It really helped alleviate a lot of anxiety I had from DS’ birth and gave us fantastic tools to use in labour. Are you reading any books on natural childbirth?

Melissa F -  You’re getting pretty close too, can’t wait to hear some baby news! You've just reminded me that I need t have a chat to the MWs at my next appt about a possible waterbirth. I'm not sure if it depends on whether the MW on duty is accredited or not. I don't know yet if I will feel like birthing in water on the day but everything I have read and watched (LOTS of waterbirths on youtube!) makes it seem like such an amazing way to bring your baby into the world.

AFM: I’m 34 weeks now and my preparations have definitely kicked into a higher gear. I have been devouring everything I can get my hands on with regards to books, articles, videos, forum threads etc, to try and better prepare myself. I’ve been taking copious notes, with ideas for birth posters and affirmation cards and birth positions. Occasionally panic kicks in a little because I get the fear that there is something I’ve missed, something so obvious and huge and it’s going to affect my labour and birth terribly. Which just sends me into a whirl of yet more reading and researching! Just baggage from DS’ birth I guess. Just as well I’ve been listening to my relaxation CDs every day to balance myself out a bit!

DP and I really need to sit down and talk about things a bit more. It’s been a bit crazy because he has just started a new and pretty exciting job as well facing some big freelance writing deadlines so he has been working like a madman around the clock and I’ve been trying to support him as much as I can as well as battling it out with DS every night. I’m feeling a bit ragged to tell the truth.

Hopefully things will start to calm down a little and I will be able to focus a bit more on the baby and how we can prepare ourselves for it as a team.

I had my first acupuncture session at about 31 weeks which was so lovely and relaxing. The acupuncturist has decided to treat me weekly from 36 weeks though as everything seems to be going well otherwise so I’ll be heading back in 2 weeks.

Bubs is also head down, has been for several weeks now, and favours the left side just like DS. So far so good!

#8 SpiltMilk

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:24 AM

Hi everyone!

Wondering whether Leah has had her baby yet. I am pretty sure she was next, and weeks ahead of me. I'm 36 weeks today! ddance.gif

missemm -  I bet I've already said this, but water birth is awesome. I believe you can labour in the water without a water birth qualified midwife, but can only birth in the water if there is a qualified water birth midwife available. It's a shame to have to get out of the bath, but better than no water at all! It is so relaxing if you get in at the right time. (As in, not in early labour, but in established labour).

That's great news that your baby is head down and on the left. Mine still seems to have enough room to swivel around from left to right. It is painful when she does that though (her head grinds against my pelvis, or at least, that's what it feels like).

#9 Akeyo

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:31 AM

Yes Leah, you must be 39 weeks at least by now? Any news?? Will be  ph34r.gif

I have just bought a VBAC Preparation CD Set online - as recommended by a VBACer in the Active Birth thread. It has a fear release meditation on one CD, similar to HypnoBirthing, and a Birth Preparation meditation on the other. The Birth Prep is a guided meditation through the labour and birth in really good detail. I have just started listening to it and definitely recommend it. The voice is soft and English which makes a nice change from the American hypnobirthing CD I'm listening to.

I got it from Natal Hypnotherapy in case anyone is interested.

36 weeks, how exciting Melissa! Do you know it's a girl or is that a hunch? Hope she settles down on the left. DS did a few switcheroos from left to right and it is more and more painful at this stage isn't it? (ETA: Oooh just realised I called bubs DS! Perhaps it's another boy in there after all!)

I agree with you about the water - I am definitely keen to at least labour in water, if not give birth. I can imagine how much it would help to keep me relaxed and calm.

I had a MW appt earlier this week and I asked to stick my head into one of the birthing suites as a refresher. Just walking into that homely space felt so good! So different to the delivery ward where I laboured last time. It was good to remind myself of what I am working towards. Bubs has even started to engage (just 4/5) which surprised me. DS didn't begin to move down till at least 38 weeks. Hopefully that is a good omen!

Edited by missemm, 29 July 2010 - 09:33 AM.

#10 Leha

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:15 PM

Hi Girls

Still pregnant sad.gif  unfortunatley. Im 38.5 weeks now and really wanting this baby to come out. Had my first accupuncture induction session on Wednesday to start ripening my cervix but nothing as yet. In the last week 3 of my friends have had their babies so you can imagine Im pretty keen. I feel like I have at least a week to go but you never know. Important thing is I have finally shaken this cold and flu and am excited and ready to go into labour and have a good birth.

Melissa F, you are almost at your target of 37 weeks which will allow you into the birth centre. Hope bubs continues to stay put for a few more days.

Missemm - how far are you now? Congrats on bub starting to engage. My bub has dropped as well but not sure if engaged. At my 37 week appointment I had a trainee midwife so she wasnt sure if bub was engaged but was definitely still head down.

Anyway wishing everyone well and here's hoping I go into labout over the weekend.

Leah

#11 Leha

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:29 AM

Hi Girls

Just wanted to let you know my baby boy "Jasper" was born on Tuesday morning. It was a very fast 6 hour natural labour with no drugs or intervention. Bub was 3.42kg and 50cm long and I didnt even tear despite having an episiotomy last time. 2nd stage was only 20minutes!!

Anyway just wanted to drop in and share. Will post full details over the next few days.

Leah

#12 Akeyo

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:59 AM

ddance.gif CONGRATULATIONS LEAH ON THE BIRTH OF JASPER!!

Wow Leah, that is such wonderful news! Such a fast labour and only a 20 minute 2nd stage! This is exactly what us VBACers need to hear. Can't wait to hear all the details. In the meantime rest up and enjoy your new little man xx

Edited by missemm, 06 August 2010 - 09:59 AM.

#13 Bluey04

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:07 AM

Congrats Leah!!! Awesome effort. I am so jealous - i hope my next VBAC only has a 20 minute second stage original.gif

Edited by Bluey04, 06 August 2010 - 01:24 PM.

#14 sparkle77

Posted 06 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

Hi ladies,

Can I join?  I am due April 2011. I had a c/s in March 2008 as DD was footling breech.  It was the most horrible thing, and I plan never to have another c/s again!

Right now, I want to surround myself with positive people who believe my body can give birth even if I had a surgical birth last time.

#15 SpiltMilk

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Congratulations, Leah! Looking forward to hearing all about it soon!

Welcome sparkle!

#16 Hannahbanana

Posted 09 August 2010 - 02:57 PM

Congratultions Leha on the arrival of your little man!!

#17 Akeyo

Posted 10 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

Hi guys,

Welcome sparkle77  original.gif

Melissa, only 2 weeks to go, how exciting! You're a bit of an old hand at this VBAC business by now aren't you? Can I ask if you were overdue for either of your VBAC babies?

I had a MW appt at the BC today and to my surprise was told I HAD to have a cannula. This is news to me as there was no mention of a cannula at my booking appt where we discussed hospital policy in depth nor at my OB appt where we did the same. I was always told I would be treated like any other labouring woman. How does a cannula fit in with that?? The MW said they didn't like to do it but they had no choice - implying neither did I - and that if it made me feel any better they would delay putting it in until as late as possible and if I arrived fully dilated then it probably wouldn't go in at all as there wouldn't be enough time.

I thought I would go away and process this and discuss it again with them next week. The implication was if I don't agree to the cannula then I can't give birth in the BC. Would this be true? Surely I can just refuse?

The good news was that I can have a water birth there, regardless of which MW is on duty. They are all accredited. 30% of all births in the BC are in water apparently. I still don't know if that's what I will want on the day (though I know I will definitely want to labour in water) but it's nice to know it can happen if I so desire.

I had another session with our doula on the weekend. This time DP was able to be there which was great as he hasn't really had a chance to get to know her that well yet. We covered a lot of ground and I felt so READY afterwards, like we are doing everything we can to prepare for this birth. It was a great feeling. We're going to meet one more time in 2 weeks to do a Fear Release meditation together. I am so glad we decided to get a doula this time, and am even happier with the choice of doula I made. It was such an instinctive thing really. Initially I was focused on finding someone who was experienced with VBACs but in the end, she and I just clicked so well and I felt instantly calmer and more relaxed in her presence and I thought, well that has to be a good thing!

Leah Hope everything is going well with Jasper and you're all settling in beautifully together.

#18 SpiltMilk

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

Hello!

Still waiting.

Missemm - I haven't gone over yet. Boys both born at 38.1 and 37.5. Hoping very
much that this little one will follow suit, but hope is starting to wane to acceptance that there is not much to do but wait. My midwife has been very reassuring that she doesn't think I'll go anywhere near 40 weeks, but how she knows, I have no idea.

With my first, I turned up to hospital practically crownng, and inserting a cannula was never an issue. For second VBAC, midwife's attitude was that if she needed to get one in, she would. So basically it didn't happen. Hasn't even been mentioned this time, but I'm actually not all that fussed about cannulas anyway. No big deal as long as the most competent person available is doing it. No way someone who is unsure of themselves. The competence makes a big difference to the pain on insertion. Anyway, it sounds like the midwife you spoke to is sympathetic, and willing to delay sound promising.

Great news about waterbirth option for you! I'd better try to get more sleep. I had a go with the Epi No a couple of nights ago, just in case that was what my subconscious needed to get started, but I think I am just waiting for baby to be ready.

Edited by Melissa F, 11 August 2010 - 12:42 AM.

#19 Guest_lizzylou82_*

Posted 11 August 2010 - 01:30 PM

COngratulations to those how have given birth:)

I don't pop in here often but couldn't help but comment on the cannulation issue.

I passionatley researched cannulation as part of my research on vbacs being allowed in a birth centre. The one thing that pops up is there is no research to say it improves outcomes. CANA actually researched for me as well and their opinion is that it is unnessesary, not evidence based and can hinder a birth which needs to be left unhindered original.gif Yes some women find them okay, but for others it can deaden your whole arm. Especially if you have been in hands and kneesfor 4 hours wink.gif

Also, I know an ER nurse who flat out told me it is a load of bollocks that they *need* it in in the case of a bleed out. She said people who are bleeding out being rushed into emergency can be cannulated. She also told me they can get a line into your neck if need be, since your julgular is as round as a 10 cent piece.

Anyway. If I were you, I would sign a conscientious objection form and take this to the Research Midwife or your local maternity coaltion rep if they try to boot you out. It's not okay for them to omit the truth about their requirements and threaten to dumpyou if you don't comply.

As a consumer of a product its important to stand up for what you want original.gif

Change in policy never comes from the inside, becuase it's often harder on them. It comes from consumers demanding better care of their births and their bodies original.gif

Blah. Rant over! lol

#20 Akeyo

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:40 PM

lizzylou - this is my issue as well. I don't like that they have just sprung this on me at almost 37 weeks and the offer to delay it doesn't impress me either as I'm not going to want anyone trying to stick it in while I'm in transition or pushing. I don't have an issue with needles in general, it's having the thing in my hand while I'm in labour. I don't want it to affect my choice of position - ie I can't go on my hands and knees because the cannula is in the way.

On the grand scale of things it's not a deal-breaker by any stretch - I was far more concerned about continuous monitoring - but it's a bit frustrating nonetheless to be thrown a curve ball at this late stage. Makes me wonder what else they're going to pull out of their policy hat between now and the birth.

I'll bring it up at my next appt - as I will most likely have a different MW - and discuss it more in depth.

Melissa, did you have your babies at the same hospital? Any niggles yet? With your other little ones who came early, did you get a sign/feeling that labour was imminent or did it just start out of the blue?

Any news from JennAN? I know she was overdue a week ago, poor love. Hope she has had some positive developments since then.

#21 Akeyo

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

ph34r.gif for news MelissaF....

#22 Belly82

Posted 17 August 2010 - 11:27 AM

Hi girls...i think i might officially join the group but i am still very early...10wks... booking into the Royal Womens in Sydney where they will let me vba2c! under Dr Andrew Bisits when he joins as the head of the Birthing Unit in October!

Meeting my independant midwife on tuesday so things are moving along....still hesitant to tell everyone till the magic 12wks passes... not long now....

Good luck to all the girls that are ready to pop!

LK

#23 SpiltMilk

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:25 AM

Hi everyone!

My lovely new baby girl arrived on Sunday, at 1:36am. I had a waterbirth at the Royal Hospital for Women in Sydney. A few quick details. I was just short of 39 weeks. Regular contractions started at 9:30pm, about 10 minutes apart and 1 min long. I called my midwife (Midwifery Group Practice) around 11pm (lucky she was on nights this week!), when they were getting closer, to see if she thought I should try to go to bed, or keep upright and try to keep it going. She said go to bed. I had a shower and went to bed, but it was no use in the end. Called her again at about 12:30am to go to hospital. DH and I were there 10 minutes later, and a lovely delivery suite midwife let us into the birth centre and started running the bath. Got in the bath. More labour... and then DD born at 1:36am. Very short 2nd stage (pushing) of 6 minutes. So in the end, it was pretty quick, and all the painful prelabour paid off. No vaginal examinations at any point. Went with my instincts this time.

I had a minor scrape (first degree only), but my midwife used the opportunity to tidy up the damage from the last couple of births, and my vagina looks better than it has since DS1! (Midwife this time around is a dab hand with patchwork.) I have a little bit of vaginal wall prolapse, so will have to get stuck into pelvic floor exercises straight away. It's not serious, only cosmetic.

missemm - you asked about prelabour. Each time I have had drawn out prelabour (i.e. painful Braxton Hicks) of a couple of weeks before labour really kicked in. This time, I also had awful indigestion in the afternoon and after dinner. On the other hand, I have been longing for labour to start, and had no idea when it would be this time. I was VERY uncomfortable since hitting 37 weeks. DH said that when I was in established labour, I looked happy for the first time in ages. happy.gif

I've had all 3 VBACs at the Royal, in the Birth Centre. Anyone who wants to know who my midwife was, just PM. Can't recommend her highly enough.

Belly82 - awesome news about your VBA2C book in. There are some wonderful midwives at the Royal, if you choose to have midwifery care. The Midwifery Group Practice (midwives in teams of 4 or 5) VBAC success rate is over 70 or 80%. (My midwife told me the exact figure, but I was getting a few stitches at the time...)

ETA: Good luck everyone. I will monitor this thread for news, but may not be checking in every day anymore :-( PM if you need to ask me anything.

ETA #2: The last few contractions before transition - I started to doubt my ability to give birth. I thought I'd just share, to help anyone having their first VBAC. I kind of knew it was transition. I said to my midwife, "A caesar would not be better, right?" and "An epidural wouldn't help, would it?" She told me I'd have the baby before the anaesthetist turned up. And then it was time to push. Transition...

Edited by Melissa78, 19 August 2010 - 12:34 AM.

#24 Puggle

Posted 19 August 2010 - 12:37 AM

Oh, congratulations Melissa! What a lovely birth you had, thank you for sharing.

QUOTE (Melissa78 @ 19/08/2010, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ETA: Good luck everyone. I will monitor this thread for news, but may not be checking in every day anymore :-( PM if you need to ask me anything.

laughing2.gif you edited this while I was in the process of replying, I was going to say I wasn't surprised you had a busy week, it is August after all wink.gif :

DD1 - August 2004 (c/s at 35wks with placenta previa grade IV)
DS1 - August 2006 (VBAC ~ natural birth)
DS2 - August 2008 (VBAC ~ water birth)
DD2 - August 2010 (VBAC ~ water birth)

That is some amazing pattern you have there!

Congratulations again, and welcome to the world little girl.

#25 SpiltMilk

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:04 PM

Thanks, Puggle!

I've got one more thing I have to share with my VBAC buddies. My waters didn't break before DD was born, and I never had a show. DD was born in the caul, as they say.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

New mum Megan goes topless

Megan Gale has posed topless for magazine's 'sexiest people' issue, five months after welcoming her son.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.