Toothpaste
When did you start using?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 andrea79

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:06 PM

Hi all,

Just wondering, when did you start using toothpaste? DS is 10 months and has got 6 teeth so far and has had those for some time. I brush his teeth twice a day but just with brush and water. The clinic nurse said to find a "no" fluoride  toothpaste but I could only find a "low" fluoride one. Now I'm wondering if I misheard her?

I don't want him to have a mouth full of toothpaste and not know what to do with it! Unless I give him his sippy cup to wash it down?

Your thoughts and experiences would be great.

#2 Chockybits

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I haven't seen a no fluoride toothpaste either. From what I have read they reccommend only starting with toothpaste when your child is able to spit it out. Apparently too much fluoride can cause streaking in their adult teeth. We use the Colgate kids toothpaste for DS and I think that says from age 2, but we definatley started way before then, but I can't remember when. I think he was over 1. We only started using it because he was refusing to let us clean his teeth and we basically dipped a couple of bristles in to get a bit of a minty taste so that he would let us. I asked our GP and he said that was fine. I wouldn't have introuced it otherwise.

I would say just to continue with water if he happily lets you because it'll be a long time before he can spit. Maybe dentists have no fluoride toothpaste?

HTH original.gif

#3 just-bubs

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

We found no fluoride toothpaste at health shop. But it is for adult, not particular one for Kids. My husband uses no fluoride toothpaste.

DD1 is 2.6 old, still brushing teeth using water only and we clean her teeth as we don't think she can clean them properly. Her teeth are shinning and sharp. We may let her use toothpaste when she turns to 4 or 5. Again no fluoride toothpaste.

#4 Inthepast

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:22 PM

We had this one

Organic flouride free toothpaste

#5 judy_

Posted 10 June 2010 - 10:40 PM

we've used the low flouride kiddy toothpaste since DS1 and DS2 got teeth.  the amount they use is miniscule!
Ie. pinhead amount.
just enough to give them the flavour of it.
My DS2 would clean his teeth 100 times a day if I let him.  but I can't afford a new toothbrush every week.

#6 JustSmileAndNod

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

My husband asked his dentist today about our kids teeth - she recommended no toothpaste at all until they can rinse and spit, as the toothpaste can cause white calcification stains to their teeth. We had just started using baby toothpaste on my 18 month old but she said to just use plain water until he can rinse / spit.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:48 PM

Its not recommended until 2 years of age. A good brush with just water at this age is fine original.gif

Edited by lozoodle, 12 June 2010 - 10:49 PM.

#8 tick

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

Just yesterday I spoke to my dentist about this.  She recommends wiping baby's teeth with a washcloth, or even just letting baby chew on one in the bath.  Introducing a toothbrush is ok for fun and to get in the habit of brushing, but isn't necessary until they start eating sweet and sticky foods.  

When they're a bit older (at least 2) you can introduce a children's (low fluoride) toothpaste.  If it's hard to get your child to brush properly that's ok - by chewing on the toothbrush with toothpaste they'll still end up with some fluoride on their teeth which is the important bit for preventing cavities.

Your MCHN probably said low-fluoride toothpaste, but like PPs have suggested you can get fluoride free toothpaste in the health-food shop (also in the health food section of the supermarket).  

I used fluoride-free toothpaste for years because I was convinced that I got enough of it in drinking water, but many trips to the dentist recently suggest that perhaps I should have just gone with the regular toothpaste.... oh well.

#9 ladybeetle1

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:47 PM

I am still not using toothpaste on my 21 month old.  I will introduce it at 2.

#10 andrea79

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:43 PM

Thanks to you all for your responses. Looks like I'll just keep going with the water then until he's older. DS is very good at letting me brush his teeth and I let him play with the toothbrush to get used to it so it looks like I'm doing enough for now  biggrin.gif

#11 ecb

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:21 PM

Just yesterday I spoke to my dentist about this. She recommends wiping baby's teeth with a washcloth, or even just letting baby chew on one in the bath. Introducing a toothbrush is ok for fun and to get in the habit of brushing, but isn't necessary until they start eating sweet and sticky foods.

I'd been told something similar to this with the only addition being that you can use gauze to wipe their little teeth too and that toothbrushes are only necessary once they've molars (which is probably a similar time to the sweet and sticky eating onset).  My girls LOVE chewing on washers in the bath but I also do a run around their teeth with some gauze on my finger too.

#12 QueenOfTheDesert

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

We started using low fluride toothpaste at 18 months.
I washed DS teeth with a washcloth at first.
At about 12 months we introduced a toothbrush with just water. We would (and still do) clean DS teeth, then let him have a go to practise. We always included rinsing and spitting in the routine. I only introduced the toothpaste when DS could consistently rinse and spit (as opposed to drinking the water).
He now tells me "spit spit" if I don't get his cup of water fast enough!
He loves cleaning his teeth and would do it a dozen times a day if allowed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.