I need a body moisturiser without the nasties

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 jusstyce

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

I have searched and searched for a good body moitsuriser that is free of parabens, ethanols, parrafins, sodium laurel sulfates etc and I can't find one. All of them either have one or the other. With the cold dry weather my skin needs something.
What does everyone use?
TIA

#2 ecb

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

I use oil on my skin.  I purchase it online from a company called New Directions.  I usually get 1L jojoba, 1L apricot kernal, 500ml avocado and then mix them all together (equal parts jojoba and apricot + 1/2 as much avocado) in a smaller bottle with a pump dispenser (that you can also puchase from the New Directions website) along with some essential oils so it smells pretty.  Jojoba oil is closest to the skins own ph so using this as a base means it will absorb nicely.  Apricot kernal oil and avocado both have great things for your skin.  Avocado is quite sticky so that is why I use less of that.  You could explore all their oils and make your own recipe from any combination.  It's really cheap too.  Put it on straight out of the shower/bath and it absorbs really nicely without leaving you all greasy.  

For my face I purchase skincare (again online) from Beauty and the Bees.  They also sell body creams that are free of parabens and other preservatives but while I find their face cream extremely economical I don't find the same for their body creams.  Much cheaper to do the oil above.

#3 pundelina

Posted 10 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

Moogoo! It's absolutely wonderfully fantastic. We hheart.gif Moogoo

http://www.moogoo.com.au/shop/categories/M...urising-Creams/

Edited by pundelina, 10 June 2010 - 09:45 PM.

#4 *RockTot*

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

I'd recommend either Avado or Little Innoscents (made for babies, but I use it as it smells DEVINE!  It's called Massage lotion, but it's really as cream  wink.gif )  
Both these brands are free of any nasties & all the ingredients are derived from plants.

I did use MooGoo for a bit, but it has a preservative called Phenoxyethanol, which I try to avoid.  I also found it didn't do much for my super-dry skin sad.gif

Edited by *RockTot*, 10 June 2010 - 11:02 PM.

#5 ~*Amethyst*~

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:50 PM

I too say go for the MooGoo.  I've been using it for a couple of years now (I use the MSM soothing cream for my eczema prone skin) & I love it.  I use plain oatmeal in the bath water in a stocking & squeeze out all the milk, mmm lovely.

Rock Tot I find it unusual that the cream wasn't moisturising enough?  Were you using the udder cream skin milk as I don't find that as creamy as the specialty creams.

xxx Amethyst

#6 idle

Posted 10 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

I am another who cannot go past MooGoo, it is so great for so many different skin issues.

#7 localyokel

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:32 PM

I have the moogoo oil as well, but its very strong fragrance which i dont like as much.  I have some avocado oil that i got at a place on the qld border - you can buy online.  Its very fine oil, no fragrance and i like to use it once a week or so.  Oils dont suit my face all the time, and also no spf etc so i dont use it during the day.  But its great at night.  Ali

#8 ecb

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

ECB is there really a company called New Directions?
Oh dear. Better not say that too fast

Wow, never picked that up before.  That's rude!  roll2.gif

#9 Wild Strawberry

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

MooGoo didn't work with me either. I have dermatitis on my hands and used the MSM one also and it did nothing for my hands. Plus after i brought it realised it had the Phenoxyethanol in it.

I have been using rose hip oil on my hands which feels really nice but isn't cheap so might try your oil mix ecb.

New Directions....took me a moment to get that  laughing2.gif You need to wash that dirty mind fertile woman roll2.gif

#10 namie

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:54 AM

I love Avado. They have a new adult skincare range out now. I don't think it's on their website yet, but I spoke to the owner at the Good Food and Wine Show where she was showcasing the new range and she said to check out their stockists as they should all carry it.

I found MooGoo not quite moisturising enough for my dry skin.

Sukin is another range I've used and like, but my face tends to stay a little dry with the face moisturiser. The body moisturisers are lovely.

#11 LisaMaree82

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:58 AM

Coconut oil original.gif

Works a treat, I even use a coconut oil based shampoo.

I get dermatitis and excema.

Lisa

#12 hopefulmummy

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

As others have mentioned Moo Goo is not chemical free, it contains a preservative that gets quite a bad rap.

The oils sound good, I might try them.

#13 heywhatever

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:18 AM

Just buy vitamin E capsules when they are cheap and snib them open with a knife or scissors when you want to use one.  One capsule is a perfect amount for both hands.  Absolutely no nasties.  

I do this every night before I go to bed.  Of course it takes awhile to absorb because there are no chemicals to help absorbtion.

My grandmother used to rub Olive Oil in on her hands and she used to swear by it.  Pure Lanolin is a good one for the heals and places it is very very dry.

#14 localyokel

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:42 AM

Just adding the details of the 'Pure Avocado Body Oil'  which is from Tropicology.  The only ingredient listed is Pure Avocado Oil.  
www.tropicalfruitworld.com.au
They have other stuff as well as food.  Ali
Just checked the site out myself and the avocado oil is the only product that doesnt have the nasties in it - its just the oil.  Its really nice and fine too.

#15 hermeandsoon2b

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

The most 'natural' and delicious products I have found are called Synthesis 345, I think they are made in the Northern Rivers (NSW) area.  They aren't a cheap fix but well worth the money as you really only need to use them sparingly.

MooGoo... love the smell, but as pp have said, they are not enough for my skin and also they do have a couple of questionable ingredients unfortunately.

For those who use coconut/oil products, who do you purchase through?

I am also a big fan of rubbing olive oil (mixed with raw sugar) on my 'rough' bits for a great moisturiser.

#16 mlee

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

I'm using Gaia products at the moment and seems really good. http://www.gaiaskinnaturals.com/

Hopefully that helps.

#17 blissfulqueenb

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

I use Loving Earth organic raw coconut butter.

Just be careful with Avado - when their sunscreen first came out, I was excited to think that Australia might finally be offering a safe sunscreen. I emailed the company and spoke with the owner who just wouldn't be forthcoming with full answers to my questions over several emails.  Finally, I just asked her to please answer my question!  She was extremely rude and I discovered that the zinc was the questionable Nano.  I don't trust any of their products, now.  sad.gif

#18 Guest_MamaCass67_*

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:17 PM

I use a brand called Natural Instincts, it is Australian made very well priced and uses organic products. I have found it readily available at most chemists.  They do have a webpage to check for stockists near you original.gif I also like to use good old olive oil, works wonders straight out of the shower and rubbed in, makes skin super soft.

#19 Guest_cathode_*

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

Heya OP, I only use SUKIN products. They feel great on and really make a difference to my skin.
http://sukinorganics.com.au/about.asp

Paraben free.

When I can't find their range, I use Natural Instinct http://www.naturalinstinct.com.au/aboutUs.php
(I usually used the NI range for shampoo and conditioner anyway as I find it hard to source my preferred shap/cond which is Envirocare http://www.envirocare.biz/Envirocare_aus/personal.htm nb: they have a good moisturiser as well)

#20 SnowQueen

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Another recc for Sukin - it's really well-priced and smells beautiful. It's available at some chemists and priceline  biggrin.gif

#21 Maple Leaf

Posted 19 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

MooGoo... love the smell, but as pp have said, they are not enough for my skin and also they do have a couple of questionable ingredients unfortunately

NOOO!!!! sad.gif
I thought I finally found something I liked that was decent. Sigh.

#22 BabyChloe

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

The Belli skincare range have a moisturiser that is tetragenic free, hypoallergenic etc, but not sure if it still has some of the nasties that you can't tolerate.

Billie Goat Soap do some lotions too.. but again, not sure of full list of ingredients.

#23 *RockTot*

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (blissfulqueenb @ 16/06/2010, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I discovered that the zinc was the questionable Nano.

You're kidding!  That's so disappointing, I never even thought to check what TYPE of zinc was is it sad.gif
I was so happy to find what I thought was a "Safe" sunscreen to use on my DS too sad.gif

#24 michaidy

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:58 AM

Please do not use the Natural Instinct brand if you are wanting anything that is remotely natural. This company is under investigation from the ACCC due to its intentional misleading and false ingredient listings on its products. Google 'Natural Instinct ACCC' and you will get the full story. This company is a disgrace and should be banned for life of ever being able to trade or produce anything, ever again!!

Moo Goo contains phenoxyethanol, a nasty nasty preservative, google it, you will be shocked that these 'natural'  companiess insist that it is 'safe'!!

Billy Goat soap contains titanium dioxide in its soap, which is hazardous to ones health (I dont know about their other products, I refuse to use a brand that has included at least 1 nasty in any 1 of their products!!)

From memory Avado and Gaia contain phenoxyethanol and these 'natural' companies tend to include coco betaine as their suffactants in their shampoos/body washes etc. This is a known carciagen, not very healthy in my opinion!!

I have done much research in this area, and even used most of these brands along the way, even the well known Alchemy & Akin contains phenoxyethanol, it is most frustrating and troublesome!! 2 years ago after 6 mths of research I finally found miessence this is an aussie company (started by a mum who was also frustrated at not being able to find any REAL natural products) who not only are certified organic, but are also carbon neutral, they put their money where their mouth is!! Yes I am a rep (only because I truly believe in their products) but there are many many reps, just google 'miessence'.

To be sure what you are actually putting on yours and your familys skin, you need to read every ingredient, and google the names. If you cant pronounce it, then chances are, its a chemical. You cannot trust when they say it is derived from a plant, as many many nasty toxic chemicals are derived from plants!! The process they are put through, devoids all of their 'natural' aspects, and they end up being highly toxic. To be 100% sure that what you use is safe, you need to buy a product that is certified organic (just saying it is organic does NOT mean that it is, the product must show the certification symbol and the no.)

I hope that this helps and sorry if it came across a little ranting sad.gif I am very passionate about organics and get so very frustrated at all these companies that promote their amazing 'natural' products, whilst pulling the wool over innocent eyes, especially of mums who are just trying to do the best for their families!!

original.gif

#25 somethingstupid

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:42 PM

oops

Edited by somethingstupid, 06 November 2010 - 09:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.