36 weeks - Bub is posterior, is this bad?
What can i do to help him turn?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 neaka

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:40 PM

Hi Ladies,

Just wondering, I had a scan today and the OB has said bubs is posterior. He didn't seem at all concerned and said they can turn at any time and sometimes it doesn't happen till you are in labour and its just a case of wait and see.
He said they would check the position when i get to the hospital and monitor labour to see if he turns. If no action then they would look at a caesar.

Im really worried because in my birthing classes there were a few horror labour stories from women with posterior babies so I'm a little scared!

I know there are exercises you can do and postures to help them turn, any suggestions?

TIA original.gif

Edited by neaka, 31 May 2010 - 04:48 PM.

#2 GusandMe

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

Hi, I had a posterior baby at 36 weeks and he came out anterior.
What I did was:

- Get on all fours twice a day and arch my back like a cat 15 times, holding it for about 3 seconds each time.
- Lean forward when sitting on couch instead of reclining back (can get uncomfy)
- Sat backwards on a dining chair so forced to lean upper body forward
- Sat on an excercise ball rolling back and forth (very comfy)

I was still posterior at my final check up (42 weeks) but come birth, the baby at turned so don't stress out if it doesn't seem to be working, there is plenty of time.

Don't listen to horror stories, it seems everyone is so quick to tell 'bad' labour stories, pregnant women miss out on all the beautiful stories of which there is a vast majority.
You can birth a posterior baby just fine, no horror - or caesarean for that matter - required. Believe in your own body's ability to birth your baby!

Good luck!

#3 Seventh Heaven

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:57 PM

FFS - I can't stand OB's who use any excuse to cut a baby out!

I laboured and delivered a posterior baby.  It just means a little longer and more backpain - this is because back of babies head is pushing on your tailbone and not on the front of your pubic bone.  When a baby comes anterior, he/she pushes back of head on front of cervix which helps with dilation.

No horror story though - just different experience.  

Bubs can turn at the very last second (like during pushing stage), so it in no means says you will have to have a c/s.

Agree with PP on ways to try and turn baby (and then keep there) wink.gif

Edited by Seventh Heaven, 31 May 2010 - 04:59 PM.

#4 Pompol

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Hi Neaka, my baby was posterior - right up until he came rushing out into the world ! It meant I felt contractions primarily in my back but other than that, no one was terribly concerned. And for a first baby I didn't know any different !! And it was 9 months ago and I'm already clucky as a mad hen so can't have been too bad. If you need/want it, there'll be pain relief, otherwise as GusandMe said, trust in your body's ability to birth your baby original.gif All the very best, I know how frightening it is, especially when the doctors throw around all of these terms and the antenatal classes are full of colourful stories - your birth will be your birth and it wont be like anyone elses original.gif

#5 neaka

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:59 PM

Thank you ladies, that is exactly what i needed to hear! I will get started on those exercises tonight and stop stressing! Apparently my OB has a pretty high C section rate so im not overly surprised by the comment. I will just have to stand my ground on the day as i am determined to do this without being cut open. I was feeling really confident till today and the OB just kind of squashed me down.

Thanks again!

Edited by neaka, 01 June 2010 - 02:04 AM.

#6 MJGold

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:10 PM

I'm currently 37+4 and got the same diagnosis a few days ago.  Doctor said sitting backwards on a dining chair and sitting on the fitball would help.  So far it's giving me sore groin muscles but is doing wonders for my sore hips of a night!  Whenever I get up from either of those positions baby goes crazy kicking me - don't know if that's a good sign or not.  Off to see the midwives on Wednesday, hopefully it will all have had an effect.

Another thing my doctor mentioned was to get down on hands and knees and scrub the floors.  Waiting for a nesting urge to try that one!

#7 rubesmummy

Posted 31 May 2010 - 06:27 PM

Definately do what Gusandme has suggested. These were also suggested to me as i found out DD was posterior at 36 weeks. I had really bad swelling so it was tough for me not to sit back and put my legs up, but sitting back is the worst so definately follow the above steps.

Unfortunately my DD didnt turn, even in labour after i was fully dilated i was left for and hour to see if she would turn, she didnt and i ended up with a forceps delivery in theatre.

The labour is worse apparently as far as pain goes but dd was my first so i have no comparison, but my labour was excruciatingly painful and still managed to get to 8cm without drugs!

Hopefully ur bubba turns, but they dont always, good luck!

#8 mumofjake&max

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:06 PM

Both my babies were anterior until my waters broke, then turned posterior as they dropped into my pelvis. DS1 (41+wks) couldn't turn and I had a c/s (big baby + 24hr+ labour), but DS2 (36wks) turned back to anterior between 4cm and 10cm (30mins) and I birthed beautfully.
Babies turn all the time, this way then that way, even in the last stage of labour. Do everything you can to turn the bub now, but don't opt for a c/s just because bub is posterior.
Good Luck

#9 Guest_**KM**_*

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:10 PM

This website is great for optimal positioning  original.gif

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

My birth story of my posterior baby born at home, no pain relief and only 6 hours of (very active) labour .... (please note that my PPH was nothing to do with the posterior position - it's my 2nd PPH in a row, I just seem to bleed after birth for some reason - working on how I change that for next time  wink.gif )

http://princessmillymc.blogspot.com/

#10 tazcan

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:13 PM

My first baby was posterior right up until about 30 mins before I pushed her out. My labour was only 4 hours all up and was very straight forward. I only had gas and did experience "double contractions", but once I got into the bath things got better, and then my waters broke and I pushed her out about 20-30min later, so I'm assuming she only turned anterior just as my waters broke. Maybe I was just lucky with an easy labour though.

#11 new~mum~reenie

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:18 PM

Optimal Foetal Positioning is aimed at getting baby into the best position for birth - which include the suggestions that Gusandme made.

http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm

http://www.betterbirthpartners.com/Optimal...ositioning.html

http://www.spinningbabies.com/

or search for optimal foetal positioning in youtube
heres one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQp421jhIw4

Like PP's said, babies can turn at any time - even in labour (after all, it is the most comfy way for baby too!)

Best of luck.

Edited by new~mum~reenie, 31 May 2010 - 07:19 PM.

#12 Tetinks

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi

Both of my labours have been posterior. DD was born sunny side up and DS turned as he descended.

They were both very good experiences with only gas and heat bags/shower for pain relief. DD was 8 hours, DS was 90 mins.

I really urge you to buy or borrow the book 'Birth Skills' by Juju Sundin. There's a great section on the best position to labour in if your baby is posterior. It also explains why posterior labours can be longer/more painful.

A posterior labour is not a complication, it is a variation of normal!

Good luck.

#13 tricky's mum

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:42 PM

I too had a posterior labour with my DS. I didn't know he was in that position until I came into the hospital at 9cm dilated and they told me. I experienced the back pain etc and irregular contractions so it was a very long labour but I did it all without drugs including the episiotomy.

I was happy though as he was breech for so long and only turned in the last week or so. I would do it again.

#14 neaka

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:09 AM

Thanks so much everyone, its so nice to hear positive stories! KM thanks for sharing your story as well.
It seems very common for the little buggers to turn at the last minute, i guess im a control freak who likes to know how its going to turn out, haha i need to let that one go!!!

Clairabell - I actually did Jujus classes and have her book and was feeling very confident till today! But i am going to go back through the book and reconnect myself with her methods so i dont lose focus!

Thanks again xx

Edited by neaka, 01 June 2010 - 02:13 AM.

#15 TwistedIvy

Posted 01 June 2010 - 02:31 AM

Another one with a posterior baby until about 2/3 of the way through labour.

Your post sends out alarm bells for me though. If your Ob. doesn't realise that babies can actually be born in the poterior position, then I'm wondering what else he's going to try and cut you open for.

Also, how long does he intend on 'waiting to see if the baby turns'? The length of a real labour, or the length of a 'textbook' labour?

Make sure you don't let the Ob break your waters before your baby turns, and if I were you I'd be arming myself with a good doula.

#16 CallMeFeral

Posted 01 June 2010 - 03:04 AM

Ditto about the ob - very concerning. DD was posterior and did not turn/descent, and my very fantastic public ob went in and manually turned her and down she came soon after. Had to use forceps later on as there was some foetal distress from the syntocin (I also didn't dilate), but not a ceasar... there's a lot one can do before it gets to the ceasar point, I'd have thought!

#17 Sally256

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:04 AM

neaka all I know about posterior births is that they cause more discomfort and back pain, but I know a few people who have birthed this way, though not without pain relief. My physio told me that myofascial releases can help turn a posterior baby. But I don't know if all physios do them. She has been doing them for me these days just to relieve tension as i'm now 39 wks pregnant and they help, as well as the massage. I'm in Sydney, not sure where you are. Good luck!
Sal.

#18 cassyn

Posted 01 June 2010 - 06:48 AM

I knew that my first was posterior, cause of all the time I had in labour, they kept telling me. So with my second being 1/4 of the time and didnt seem to be as painful I thought she must of been anterior, but I checked it out at my last appointment and they said she was posterior too. So that doesnt mean that just cause they are posterior you will have a longer harder labour, like pp's have mentioned also. And definitely does not mean that you have to miss out on a natural birth.
Apparently if you are bigger or have had children before so looser muscles you are more likely to be posterior.
I am 37 weeks and bub still seems to be rotating round the place back I think it is still mostly posterior as I havent had a bottom sticking directly out front for a little while. MW said they are not concerned cause with the last one being soo quick and still big bubs that I shouldnt have any problem delivering another posterior baby. Both my bubs so far have been 9lb 5 with 37 and 37.5cm heads.
Am definitely spending as much time leaning over the fit ball as possible though, and will be trying other suggestions that you have been given too.
Hope all goes well for you.

#19 Percy

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

My Dd2 was posterior at 40 weeks - she was born at 41 weeks without any intervention in an hour and a half. She had flipped around to anterior position in the week between my 40 week appointment and being born.

I did do lots of OFP - sitting my hands and knees, loads of walking up hills and sitting backwards on a chair.

#20 lozoodle

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:50 AM

Its not bad, but its not ideal.

Not sure what you can do to turn, but rest assured you can still birth a posterior baby without problems.

I still got my drug free birth and it was still pretty quick with DD being posterior, the only difference (so I have been told) was that I felt all the pain in my back so staying upright and havign heat from the shower on my back really helped.

#21 neaka

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

Your post sends out alarm bells for me though. If your Ob. doesn't realise that babies can actually be born in the poterior position, then I'm wondering what else he's going to try and cut you open for.
this is a big concern for me too, especially as i have been told he has a pretty high CS rate. I live on the central coast and there are only 2 practicing OBs here (can you believe that?) being an IVF pregnancy i really felt i needed the extra support from an OB but i am now regretting that decision.

I'd be arming myself with a good doula.
I would have loved to have done this but with the OB fees i dont thing our funds will stretch that far, but thanks for the suggestion, i will look into it.
Oh well, all i can do is voice my opinion and go in as knowledgeable as possible i suppose.

My physio told me that myofascial releases can help turn a posterior baby
Sally, I have just moved back to NSW so i dont have a physio/chiro i have been looking for one on the Central Coast but may have to go to Sydney to find someone who does pregnancy. I am very interested in physio for pregnancy, but am wary about going somewhere new this late in. Where in Sydney is your Physio?
Am definitely spending as much time leaning over the fit ball as possible though, and will be trying other suggestions that you have been given too.
me too! I haven't sat on our couch for 24 hours, its so hard but worth it.
Thanks everyone for the reassurance, im off to crawl around the floor, shame our whole house is floorboards!

#22 CallMeFeral

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

QUOTE (neaka @ 01/06/2010, 07:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
this is a big concern for me too, especially as i have been told he has a pretty high CS rate. I live on the central coast and there are only 2 practicing OBs here (can you believe that?) being an IVF pregnancy i really felt i needed the extra support from an OB but i am now regretting that decision.

Can you change back to public? NOT SAYING you should, that's your call - just that if you are regretting your decision, maybe they'll let you - my hospital was really good and although I chose private-in-public I think they would have let me just go public right up until the time I called my ob.

Or come to Hornsby!  wink.gif

That fantastic ob I had first time around was actually a registrar and worked in central coast - but he's now in royal north shore so that doesn't help you much sad.gif

#23 neaka

Posted 01 June 2010 - 09:55 AM

Callmeal - Funny you should say that because i am actually going private-in-public anyway so I'm sure it would be a possibility.

I have heard good things about Hornsby since its revamp, Gosford certainly needs some love! I might call the midwives at Gosford and see what they can suggest.

Thanks!!

#24 smudgiekiss

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:08 AM

First baby anterior, drug free natural birth.

Second baby posterior, drug free natural birth.

I won't lie - the posterior does hurt more.  Enough to ask someone to slice me open? - no.

Good luck.  Tell yourself you can do it.  Confidence is the key.

#25 samanthan

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

Fabulous suggestions here already neaka and please if you don't trust your ob now and can change to something you are more comfortable with do! I really wish I had listened to my instincts with my first. If a doula is out of the question, what about a midwifery student? There might be a few in your area....
Anyway, good luck, you sound very informed!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.