Going overseas for donor eggs
egg donation overseas

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Possmanda

Posted 16 May 2010 - 04:46 PM

Most of what I've read in the blogs has been on egg donation here in Australia.  What I'm curious about is if there is anyone who has gone overseas for egg donation and what were their reasons?

Our reasons were: we had no relatives here that were able or willing to donate; we wanted to choose our donor, rather than the other way around;  we didn't want to ask strangers for a donation (we were told to ask our hairdresser - do people really get donors that way?); the price was comparable to Australia for us (and we ended up with a holiday on top); and it was done quite quickly - within 3 months of the initial inquiry, we were back in Australia and I was pregnant!  I would have done it years ago rather than waste my time and money over and over with cycles that never stood a chance of working!

For those who are doing it in Australia, what are your reasons?  Are they financial?  Ethical?

#2 louisem

Posted 16 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

Hi I really feel for you and so I'm happy to share some of my own journey with you.
My doctor actually suggested overseas donation and I'm so happy I went with this - I now have beautiful triplet boys! At the time, there was a shortage of egg donors in Australia - probably even more so now, because although potential donors are now more aware of the need, the need seems to be growing.
I tried advertising for a donor here, but 2 women (illegally) asked for money and with others, they either lived too far away or it just didn't feel right. I was concerned in a couple of cases that the women might have unmet needs and/or become dependant or even a little dangerous. I know there are MANY fantastic donors out there, so please, this was just my experience with a couple of people.
I PREFERRED to go overseas as there is an arms-length separation. I did not meet the donor.
By the way, I don't agree that we need to know everything about the donor - the donor is not the mother, but rather a wonderful giver of POTENTIAL - how the baby develops inside you depends on your effort, body chemistry, nutrition, positive attidude etc. We knew that the donor was completely screened for diseases and conditions, and that she had enough generosity to donate eggs which she no longer needed from her own efforts to create a family - as empathy and generosity are now thought to have some genetic component, I was very happy with the situation.
The medical cost was similar to in Australia - the main cost is travelling to and from the overseas location and all the associated hotel costs, etc.
But all the effort, anxiety, waiting, costs were ALL worth it.
I'm happy to chat more about this, just let me know.
I wish you all the very best on your journey.

#3 bjc24

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE (louisem @ 16/05/2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi I really feel for you and so I'm happy to share some of my own journey with you.
My doctor actually suggested overseas donation and I'm so happy I went with this - I now have beautiful triplet boys! At the time, there was a shortage of egg donors in Australia - probably even more so now, because although potential donors are now more aware of the need, the need seems to be growing.
I tried advertising for a donor here, but 2 women (illegally) asked for money and with others, they either lived too far away or it just didn't feel right. I was concerned in a couple of cases that the women might have unmet needs and/or become dependant or even a little dangerous. I know there are MANY fantastic donors out there, so please, this was just my experience with a couple of people.
I PREFERRED to go overseas as there is an arms-length separation. I did not meet the donor.
By the way, I don't agree that we need to know everything about the donor - the donor is not the mother, but rather a wonderful giver of POTENTIAL - how the baby develops inside you depends on your effort, body chemistry, nutrition, positive attidude etc. We knew that the donor was completely screened for diseases and conditions, and that she had enough generosity to donate eggs which she no longer needed from her own efforts to create a family - as empathy and generosity are now thought to have some genetic component, I was very happy with the situation.
The medical cost was similar to in Australia - the main cost is travelling to and from the overseas location and all the associated hotel costs, etc.

#4 bjc24

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hi girls
I am usually not on this forum, usually on TTC over 40s but I am curious as to your posts as I am now going down the donor egg route. I am grateful for your information as there is SO MUCH OUT THERE! It is hard to know what it best. You both were successful and at the end of the day, that is all I want. THe cost is huge as you know, but worth it if you get a result. I have done a lot of research and I think we will go to US. We have short listed some donors. However, what I would like to know is success rates. It seems that the place we are looking at in La Jolla california has an 80% success rate yet others only 60 or so. I would love to hear more about your experiences. If there is anyway I can contact you please let me know. I am 44 and totally exhausted. Just want to get this happening asap but worried that we wont have success. Perhaps you could advise me how to ensure most likely positive result. All advice very welcome. Thanks girls.

QUOTE (louisem @ 16/05/2010, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#5 Possmanda

Posted 19 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

Hi bjc24, I've just turned 43 and I have spent over 20 years either doing IVF or saving up to do IVF; I felt the same as you do - exhausted!

We went to South Africa - it was considerably cheaper than the US, we could still pick our donor and saw both baby pictures and adult pictures of our donor (we dealt with a company that was actually based in California, so could show the adult photos; agencies that are based in South Africa aren't allowed to).  We chose to go to Johannesburg, as there were direct flights there for us.  The experience was wonderful in comparison to Australia.  Our nurse was contactable 24/7; she even rang on her day off to let us know the numbers of embryos still developing.  The lab was modern, clean and quiet and there were no blaring lights or half a dozen students in the same room.  We chose to have 2 embryos replaced rather than 1, because, let's face it, I was no spring chicken!  My problem relates to endometriosis tying back my tubes - the sperm wasn't getting to the eggs.  By the time I could afford the IVF treatment though, I was going through perimenopause and my eggs were hard boiled!

My donor was willing to donate for altruisic purposes, but also because there was a reasonable fee to compensate her for her time and energy.  I don't care for the Australian policy of not paying donors reasonable fees for their time and energy.  I find that it deters many potential donors, and some of the donors that are still willing to donate seem to be unduly interested beyond the donation - they want pictures and yearly updates, they want to chose  who the donation goes to (which would be unacceptable for other body parts), etc.  I think that for some donors, its more of a case of lending an egg, rather than donating!  That said, there are many who are generous in their spirit anyway, but I think giving a reasonable fee would actually help put it into perspective for some donors.

Even with the fee, our costs were comparable with Australia - we paid about $15,000 all up, of which $5000 was flights and accommodation, and the rest was towards the donor, the treatment, all the medications, etc.  Now that the Australian dollars is so good against the greenback, it would probably be even cheaper.  We even got to go to Zambia to see the Victoria Falls and went on a safari for 3 days.  So even if treatment wasn't successful, we figured that we had had a wonderful holiday (and it helped stop me from obsessing over every little twinge or buying up loads of hpts!).  As it happens, we ended up with stowaways...

But you want to know success rates - our clinic said between 75 to 80%.  We took into account my age and the many, many years of failure at IVF and the distance we were travelling, and asked for them to replace 2 of embryos.  Both grew, developed and we have 2 healthy, perky kids who look a great deal like ours would probably have looked, had we been successful with my eggs.  Our donor was 30 when she donated, had already had her 2 children and didn't want any more, so was a proven donor if you like. She produced 9 eggs, of which 7 became embryos, and 5 went on to blastocyts, so very high quality!  We have 3 frozen in case we want to expand our family, and I think we probably might in a few more years.

My problem was with the tubes being held down by the endo, not with my uterus.  I imagine that if you have problems with the uterus, then that would bring down the success rate anyway.  If, on the other hand, your problem is with hormones, age or blocked tubes, then your chances of success are very much higher.  Again, my husband was fine - any issues with the sperm would also bring down your chances.

Finally, I love these kids, full stop.  I am their biological mother; I grew them, gave birth to them, nurtured them - it may be to a plan that someone else has written with my husband, but I'm the brickie who built them up - without me, those plans would just be a pipe dream.

#6 bjc24

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:57 PM

Hi Possmanda
Thankyou so much for all that information! If there is any possiblity of seeing photos (adult photos), we would definitely have considered South Africa. We couldn't find a donor agency that did. I wonder if you could email me or post in the PM section for me, what the donor company name was. We estimate around $40 000 to go to the US and we are still struggling to come to terms with this. The SA option is cheaper, it was just the concern with not being able to see adult pictures.
I have no uterus issues, but my partner has low sperm count. Not terribly low, and nothing that ICSI can't bypass. I have children from previous marriage in my 20s, just have old eggs now! Thankyou again for all your help. As soon as I can access donor site I will be madly researching further.

QUOTE (Possmanda @ 19/05/2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi bjc24, I've just turned 43 and I have spent over 20 years either doing IVF or saving up to do IVF; I felt the same as you do - exhausted!

We went to South Africa - it was considerably cheaper than the US, we could still pick our donor and saw both baby pictures and adult pictures of our donor (we dealt with a company that was actually based in California, so could show the adult photos; agencies that are based in South Africa aren't allowed to). We chose to go to Johannesburg, as there were direct flights there for us. The experience was wonderful in comparison to Australia. Our nurse was contactable 24/7; she even rang on her day off to let us know the numbers of embryos still developing. The lab was modern, clean and quiet and there were no blaring lights or half a dozen students in the same room. We chose to have 2 embryos replaced rather than 1, because, let's face it, I was no spring chicken! My problem relates to endometriosis tying back my tubes - the sperm wasn't getting to the eggs. By the time I could afford the IVF treatment though, I was going through perimenopause and my eggs were hard boiled!

My donor was willing to donate for altruisic purposes, but also because there was a reasonable fee to compensate her for her time and energy. I don't care for the Australian policy of not paying donors reasonable fees for their time and energy. I find that it deters many potential donors, and some of the donors that are still willing to donate seem to be unduly interested beyond the donation - they want pictures and yearly updates, they want to chose who the donation goes to (which would be unacceptable for other body parts), etc. I think that for some donors, its more of a case of lending an egg, rather than donating! That said, there are many who are generous in their spirit anyway, but I think giving a reasonable fee would actually help put it into perspective for some donors.

Even with the fee, our costs were comparable with Australia - we paid about $15,000 all up, of which $5000 was flights and accommodation, and the rest was towards the donor, the treatment, all the medications, etc. Now that the Australian dollars is so good against the greenback, it would probably be even cheaper. We even got to go to Zambia to see the Victoria Falls and went on a safari for 3 days. So even if treatment wasn't successful, we figured that we had had a wonderful holiday (and it helped stop me from obsessing over every little twinge or buying up loads of hpts!). As it happens, we ended up with stowaways...

But you want to know success rates - our clinic said between 75 to 80%. We took into account my age and the many, many years of failure at IVF and the distance we were travelling, and asked for them to replace 2 of embryos. Both grew, developed and we have 2 healthy, perky kids who look a great deal like ours would probably have looked, had we been successful with my eggs. Our donor was 30 when she donated, had already had her 2 children and didn't want any more, so was a proven donor if you like. She produced 9 eggs, of which 7 became embryos, and 5 went on to blastocyts, so very high quality! We have 3 frozen in case we want to expand our family, and I think we probably might in a few more years.

My problem was with the tubes being held down by the endo, not with my uterus. I imagine that if you have problems with the uterus, then that would bring down the success rate anyway. If, on the other hand, your problem is with hormones, age or blocked tubes, then your chances of success are very much higher. Again, my husband was fine - any issues with the sperm would also bring down your chances.

Finally, I love these kids, full stop. I am their biological mother; I grew them, gave birth to them, nurtured them - it may be to a plan that someone else has written with my husband, but I'm the brickie who built them up - without me, those plans would just be a pipe dream.

#7 smika

Posted 19 May 2010 - 11:18 PM

Hi Possmada,
Wow 20 years of IVF how did you ever do it.  We are in the middle of arranging a donor in Cape Town.  
So why are we going overseas?
We were discouraged from donation here in Australia by nearly everyone who mentioned it (medical professionals - not people who had done it).  Getting an anonymous donor is apparently next to impossible and then there are lots of hurdles to cross.
I was not very comfortable having a friend donate.  I don't want the circumstances of their conception to be the defining thing about my child.  And I think it would be hard not to do that with the donor-mother being present in their lives.  If we are lucky enough to be successful the child will know the way they were conceived but I don’t want it to be a big deal.  Our agency keeps contact details ( like they do here) so one day maybe they can manage contact.  The donors are mostly younger and looking to fund study.  Like me I am sure if they didn't have to go down this road they would not but I am so grateful that it can be done with so much dignity.
We chose Cape Town because I have friends there and have been before and the price is manageable.  It has been really simple so far choosing a donor.  Our agency is Cape Town based and so we have childhood photos only although the donor we have chosen does look about 12-14 in the photo we have seen. We at the commitment stage now so it is a bit daunting.  
Cape Fertility would have facilities comparable to here so I am not worried about the actual procedures.

Really nice to hear your story it has given me a lot of hope, original.gif

#8 Polly Ramos

Posted 20 May 2010 - 12:58 AM

Hello my name is Polly, I live in the USA. I found your website and I am very curious about it all:)

Edited by Polly Ramos, 20 May 2010 - 01:03 AM.

#9 ruby-ruby

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

QUOTE (Possmanda @ 19/05/2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We went to South Africa - it was considerably cheaper than the US, we could still pick our donor and saw both baby pictures and adult pictures of our donor (we dealt with a company that was actually based in California, so could show the adult photos; agencies that are based in South Africa aren't allowed to).  We chose to go to Johannesburg, as there were direct flights there for us.  The experience was wonderful in comparison to Australia.  Our nurse was contactable 24/7; she even rang on her day off to let us know the numbers of embryos still developing.  The lab was modern, clean and quiet and there were no blaring lights or half a dozen students in the same room.  We chose to have 2 embryos replaced rather than 1, because, let's face it, I was no spring chicken!  My problem relates to endometriosis tying back my tubes - the sperm wasn't getting to the eggs.  By the time I could afford the IVF treatment though, I was going through perimenopause and my eggs were hard boiled!

My donor was willing to donate for altruisic purposes, but also because there was a reasonable fee to compensate her for her time and energy.  I don't care for the Australian policy of not paying donors reasonable fees for their time and energy.  I find that it deters many potential donors, and some of the donors that are still willing to donate seem to be unduly interested beyond the donation - they want pictures and yearly updates, they want to chose  who the donation goes to (which would be unacceptable for other body parts), etc.  I think that for some donors, its more of a case of lending an egg, rather than donating!  That said, there are many who are generous in their spirit anyway, but I think giving a reasonable fee would actually help put it into perspective for some donors.

Even with the fee, our costs were comparable with Australia - we paid about $15,000 all up, of which $5000 was flights and accommodation, and the rest was towards the donor, the treatment, all the medications, etc.  Now that the Australian dollars is so good against the greenback, it would probably be even cheaper.  We even got to go to Zambia to see the Victoria Falls and went on a safari for 3 days.  So even if treatment wasn't successful, we figured that we had had a wonderful holiday (and it helped stop me from obsessing over every little twinge or buying up loads of hpts!).  As it happens, we ended up with stowaways...

But you want to know success rates - our clinic said between 75 to 80%.  We took into account my age and the many, many years of failure at IVF and the distance we were travelling, and asked for them to replace 2 of embryos.  Both grew, developed and we have 2 healthy, perky kids who look a great deal like ours would probably have looked, had we been successful with my eggs.  Our donor was 30 when she donated, had already had her 2 children and didn't want any more, so was a proven donor if you like. She produced 9 eggs, of which 7 became embryos, and 5 went on to blastocyts, so very high quality!  We have 3 frozen in case we want to expand our family, and I think we probably might in a few more years.

My problem was with the tubes being held down by the endo, not with my uterus.  I imagine that if you have problems with the uterus, then that would bring down the success rate anyway.  If, on the other hand, your problem is with hormones, age or blocked tubes, then your chances of success are very much higher.  Again, my husband was fine - any issues with the sperm would also bring down your chances.

Finally, I love these kids, full stop.  I am their biological mother; I grew them, gave birth to them, nurtured them - it may be to a plan that someone else has written with my husband, but I'm the brickie who built them up - without me, those plans would just be a pipe dream.

Im 42 and had 5 ivf cycles, one egg,,$15 later no baby..I was considering going o/s to south africa,,How long did you have to stay there ? I so so so want to be a mum...

#10 louisem

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:58 AM

Hi again everyone
I posted some comments about my overseas donor some time ago and I'd now like to add that I went to a clinic in Athens with whom my doctor in Sydney has personal contacts. I understand that he now also sends people to Barcelona in Spain. I would recommend that you work with a doctor in Australia (or whereever your home country is, for those from the US or elsewhere) as you need to coordinate before and after.
Ican't tell you how happy I am not to have anything to do with the donor - they gave me a beautiful potential but what happened after that is between me and the eggs.... All the best to all

Edited by louisem, 09 July 2010 - 06:59 AM.

#11 pisces00

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

as i have reached the quota of families that a donor can create in Aust, i flew to India and donated there successfully. It was an easier process to do as there wasnt any councelling appointments and all instructions were via email and all results were emailed over. My recipinets , whom i had chatted to extensivly over the net met me at the airport and drove me to the hotel.  I had been injecting in australia and only had to inject for 2 days in india then we had egg pick up.  not sure if i would go to india again as the conditions were not as i had investigated.
Just thought i would give a donors perspective on this subject as i know alot of you out there must be feeling so down at trying to find someone to help you.

hope this helps.

#12 laudie

Posted 12 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Hi Ladies,

I am hoping you can offer me some advice.

I am 37 years old and have been doing IVF for the past 5 years. I have low ovarian reserve and have also suffered from Endo.

I have done 10 IVF cycles (two using known donors).  Sadly our latest donor cycle resulted in no eggs.

We are now thinking about looking overseas for a final push for eggs but have no idea where to start. I have been reading your posts and notice you all have some experience in this department! I have done some searching online but would very much appreciate any recommendations of clinics to look into. I have heard mention of one in San Dieago.

Anything pointers you can give me would be appreciated.

LL

#13 pisces00

Posted 13 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

check your mailbox for my message

#14 Cheetar

Posted 15 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (laudie @ 12/07/2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Ladies,

I am hoping you can offer me some advice.

I am 37 years old and have been doing IVF for the past 5 years. I have low ovarian reserve and have also suffered from Endo.

I have done 10 IVF cycles (two using known donors).  Sadly our latest donor cycle resulted in no eggs.

We are now thinking about looking overseas for a final push for eggs but have no idea where to start. I have been reading your posts and notice you all have some experience in this department! I have done some searching online but would very much appreciate any recommendations of clinics to look into. I have heard mention of one in San Dieago.

Anything pointers you can give me would be appreciated.

LL

#15 Cheetar

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:42 PM

Hi  lady,

I had experience about egg donate oversea also. The clinic based in Bangkok ,not so far from Aus. Before that
started to do IVF 5 times. Not success . The problem in ovary. So Dr.Suggested to used egg donate and waiting
list long time. Until contact to clinic in Bkk , The clinic provide the ED. We have to chose from the profile. After
that Dr.preparation  for the schedule between  recipient and ED. for us , we start to have the progesterone to prepare our uterus. For ED ,Dr. did acupuncture 2 times and stimulate her. We got 10 eggs ,7 embrioes.
We flew to Bkk before ET 6 days. Because need our fresh sperm. ( sperm freezing can do also ). For recipient ,Dr.did acupuncture 3 times before ET. And transfer2 embi on day 5 of blastocyst. We freezing 5 embi. After that 3 days ,fly back home. We did the blood test after ET 10 days. Wow !!!! we got twin.

Every step by step before start the procedure, contact via email. The team take time to answer our Q. And Dr.
very very good consultant.  we comfortable and impressed so much.

Next  3 years, we plan to FET also.We need the big family.
For pricing very reasonable. Spent  $15000 . For flight and accomodation $ 4000, the rest including ED,IVF procedure,medicine,doctor fee,operating theater,lab,scan.

Hope can help for you.

Cheetar

#16 kimh297

Posted 15 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

There is a clinic in South Africa that is now organising for their donor to come to Australia to donate eggs.  You pay the donors fares and then presumably it at your own clinic.  Something else to consider however as internationals there would be no refund on medicare

#17 laudie

Posted 16 July 2010 - 02:11 PM

Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate it. Does anyone have any experience with a clinic in La Jolla, San Dieago?

Many thanks
LL

#18 Clare3

Posted 06 August 2010 - 12:36 PM

Pisces00, I have just joined this site as a potential recipient and this is my first day looking through posts - just wanted to say how nice it is to your commitment to donatiing, even reaching your quota in Australia!

Always nice for recipients to see the generosity out there. Thanks!

Clare

#19 pisces00

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:12 PM

if you pm me your email address i will drop you a line biggrin.gif

#20 tropichusband

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:15 PM

Did anyone who travelled overseas for any IF treatment (IVF/ICSI/DE) get special medical treatment visas?

#21 bengal

Posted 04 September 2010 - 07:38 AM

Hi

Kimh297, do you know the name of the clinic that brings the Ed here to AU ?

Possmaner  - what is the agency name - that organised your egg donation procedure through Johannesburg ?

#22 wantone2

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

Hi ladies

My sister very kindly donated to me which resulted in my beautiful son.  The last embryo was transferred nearlt 2 weeks ago unfortunately I have tested & it is a neg - blood test is Fri.  My sister is now pregnant & I couldnt ask her again as we are so grateful for what she has already done.  I would love another baby as I have just loved the whole experience of motherhood.

I would love to know a little more about how you got started.  I would imagine that there would have been a lot of red tape to get through or does the agency look after this for you?  Do they stim like in the US - I know of someone who came back preg with twins & has 16 embryos on ice.

Is anyone able to PM me with some contact details please.

Thanks

#23 bjc24

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:28 AM

Hi there
I have been hanging on TTC over 40 forum but thought I should probably put my head in here now and again. Regarding the clinic in South Africa JB I am not sure but I have just got back from Cape town fertility Clinic in Cape Town SA and I am pregnant....just, only 5 weeks. We used a fabulous egg donation clinic in the US Global Egg donors who have set up their business there, yet they have donors living in SA. If we went to a SA donor clinic, by law, you cannot see adult photos so by going through the US based clinic you can get around that. I am 44 DP 42. I have children from previous relationship never dreamed I would be doing this again! Anyway, eggs too old, 4 icsi cycles later we decided to just get on with it. Our donor produced 8 eggs, 7 fertilised and 3 a grade blasts. We transfered 2 and froze the other. We were so impressed with the FS, the clinic and the care - world class standard all the way. Back home in Sydney after a lovely 2 week holiday in a beautiful city and I am still in shock that the result is positive!...fingers crossed HCG keeps rising as is still early days - I just wanted to share this story incase anyone was wondering.....like we were about the whole donor egg process.
cheers

#24 twistedmama

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Congratulations!!! biggrin.gif   That's wonderful news and it's nice to hear that you were looked after so well.

#25 janineO

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

Egg Donor cycles overseas- if you don't need her photo but are happy just to have her details, my favourite clinic in Cyprus has currently a 70% success rate with ED IVF Cycles. They charge 4500 Euro or you can do a package with airport pickups and accommodation.
If you prefer to choose your donor from photos, with detailed family information, Georgia clinic has an online database you can search and a 50-60% success rate. They charge 8,500 USD. They also allow you to meet your donor and send their donors O/S.
India is probably most affordable- from 4000 USD. There are 2 excellent clinics there that I would recommend as their facilities are modern (usually not the case in India) and their success rates are 50-60%.
I don't recommend Ukraine at the moment as they just don't produce results- research the experience/CV of the Doctor and Embryologist carefully.
If anyone would like the clinics contacts or their pricelists, feel free to message me and I'll forward.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reaction to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Empowering bikini photo of 46-year-old mum goes viral

When a group of teenagers made rude remarks about her body as she walked past them in a bikini at the local beach, Julie Cross refused to cover up.

Devastated widow discovers she's pregnant the day before husband's funeral

They had been trying to conceive a baby for seven years. Tragically Kristy Kirchner found out she was pregnant the day before her husband Royce's funeral.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Gabriella Goat sues Peppa Pig

Every toddler's favourite television pig is being sued by an Italian woman who shares a name with a Peppa Pig character.

Meet the Mpregs, the male pregnancy enthusiasts

"Men can't have babies - that's something only women can do! But our community is full of like-minded people who wish otherwise."

Your new motherhood survival kit

Forget about the bright, pretty baby things - while you're in survival mode, all you'll need are the essentials.

More than 100,000 cars recalled globally after death of pregnant woman

The announcement of a mass recall comes as Malaysian police investigate the death of pregnant woman in July.

I had a 'good baby' but still suffered from postnatal depression

I had a much wanted precious baby girl, a 'good baby' who slept well, self settled and was mostly content. It just seemed implausible to think I could succumb to depression.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Eating ice may give mental boost to the iron deficient: study

A new study proposes that, like a strong cup of coffee, ice may give those with insufficient iron a much-needed mental boost.

Tiny lives in caring hands: Thank U NICU Day

Each year in Australia, over 40,000 newborns need the help of a special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit. One day a year, the staff are honoured by the parents they help through those dark days.

I paid $50,000 to have a girl

This time my husband and I hadn't taken any chances. We had paid $50,000 and travelled 13,000 kilometres to make sure the baby growing inside me was female.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Dear firstborn, I'm sorry

Being a first-time mum is tough for so many reasons – particularly because you really have no idea what you're doing.

A trace of sesame could kill my son

Helen Richardson son's had two anaphylactic reactions in a month. It's traumatic for everyone.

When you know before the test says yes

It wasn't a pregnancy test or missed period that told me I was pregnant with my second baby; it was too early for those things. A doner kebab told me I was going to be a mum again.

What not to do when your partner is in labour

Robbie Williams stole the show during his wife Ayda's labour, pretty much demonstrating everything on the "what not to do when your partner is in labour" list.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Dad breastfeeds his babies

Trevor Macdonald has now been pregnant twice, and is successfully breastfeeding his newest family member.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.