80 replies to this topic

#1 Chelli

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Hi everyone,
Here is a new thread for you . original.gif

Link to last thread:
http://www.essentialbaby.com.au/forums/ind...howtopic=673355

As always:

Please note: This thread is a supportive thread for people choosing not to vaccinate. There are many other areas of EB for people with opposing opinions to discuss them, so I would ask that this thread stays a supportive one. If you have any issues about this, please PM me.

Kind regards
Chelli

#2 unicorn

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:40 PM

Gold!

I'm a newbie to this area, didn't even know there was a discussion for unvaxed kiddies.

I have 3 kids, the 14 year old and 11 year old are partially vaxed, both had reactions, DD 5 year old hasn't had any vaccinations at all.

It's actually quite timely that I have found this, the ex, who was fully supportive of no more vaxes, has shacked up with a nurse or medical receptionist or something like that, and lately they have been accusing me of neglect and so forth for not vaccinating, what can I do to prepare myself in the event that they insist, or knowing them, take it upon themselves to take DD in and get her vaccinated? Has anyone dealt with this here before? Would love for people to share what happened, because I am really expecting them to try and do something like this and I have a firm belief in my non-vaxing stance.

Off to read through the previous thread now.

#3 localyokel

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:01 PM

Could get very interesting!  Does your ex have the kids on his medicare card?  if not he wouldnt be able to get vacinnations or any other non emergency care i would think.  
I think you'd find that if you have 50/50 care that he has as much say as you in the vac decisions.  Ali

#4 upup

Posted 12 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

OMG Unicorn that is my worse fear. Your children are old enough to kick up a fight - Would they stand up for themselves in that situation? I doubt the new girlfriend wants the wrath of a couple of kids. Maybe if they are mature enough explain your decision and why you have choosen not to vaccinate. It would be fairly extreme for him to go behind your back about it. My exs family think I'm nuts for not vaccinating but know nothing about it at all but won't even discuss it!

If you are not at all informed please don't tell me my very informed decision is wrong!
Just something to say on the comment about nurses and no requirement to do any post registration study. I work in both mainstream and alternative health fields. The only difference is that i have to show what i've done to a central body for the alternative health registratin. Nurses will be required to show this to a central body as well from this year. It is not a problem tho as nurses do attend many courses and updates each year, in fact if you havent done any you will be at risk of losing your job, and if you havent done recent relevvant courses you will not get a job.

I just found that out about the new compulsary hours for nurses which is great news, they are an important job after all and need to show that they are continually updating their skills. It has been a long time coming though.

Edited by Ella31, 12 March 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#5 unicorn

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:07 PM

Ali, I never thought about the medicare card, when he left he took the second card, I have since been in and changed cards for the kids and I to take him off it, I sorta remember the lady at Medicare telling me that his card would be void, so hopefully that's the case now and he hasn't bothered to get a new one.

We have shared parental responsibility so I guess that means we both have to be in agreeance if they were going to get done.

Ella, I had to laugh re the girlfriend not wanting the kids wrath, the day after I told them I didn't want dd's ears pierced and sited the numerous reasons, yes the very next day, she took DD then 3 in and got her ears done, but yes I have drummed into the boys that they are not to be vaccinated and to make sure DD isn't done.

I had an email come through that Meryl is still up and running, she cited some interesting books to read.

#6 upup

Posted 13 March 2010 - 12:15 PM

Ella, I had to laugh re the girlfriend not wanting the kids wrath, the day after I told them I didn't want dd's ears pierced and sited the numerous reasons, yes the very next day, she took DD then 3 in and got her ears done

OMG I would be furious - surely she does not have that right! I guess I have this all to look forward to as my ex is quite easily led and his latest fling meant he dumped DD and started accusing me of crap and walked out last minute when I had tickets to go out and didn't give a sh*t.

Good on you for educating the kids - hopefully they will start up for themselves.

Edited by Ella31, 13 March 2010 - 12:16 PM.

#7 localyokel

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:55 PM

I just found that out about the new compulsary hours for nurses which is great news, they are an important job after all and need to show that they are continually updating their skills. It has been a long time coming though.

Just wanted to say that it is not new that nurses have to constantly update, just new that there is a central body to report to.  
interestingly there are a lot of nurses who love complementary therapies themselves, and there is a group known as the Holistic Nurses, who  embrace both.  Ali

#8 *chuggington*

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

tell HER to mind HER own business ohmy.gif

#9 Feral-Lausii

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:07 PM

Oh I just found this!

My youngest dd had her first lot of vaccinations and had a reaction, so no more for her. All my other children are fully immunised.

I am sick of people assuming I don't know what I'm doing, that I am putting everyone at risk blah blah blah.

My ex said he would take her himself to get done. Well that caused world war 3, if he was here to see the way she reacted he would not be saying that. After drumming it into his thick skull what he may be doing to his dd if he did try to vaccinate her, I think he gets it now. rolleyes.gif

Then my doctor rang the other day asking what the conscientious objection form was for and was I serious??? OMG. According to him her reactions were not that serious and I should continue with it. AS IF. I ended up having to tell him quite bluntly I had made up my mind and there was no point continuing this conversation. Now I don't know if he signed the bloody form. There was a bit of an english barrier there too that didn't help.

Ok well mini vent over. This is all new to me... huh.gif

#10 -river-

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:51 PM

Sonia74 if your doctor doesn't sign the form ask your child health nurse to sign it. As long as they are trained to give immunisation then they can sign the form for you. original.gif

#11 localyokel

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

Before they sign the form the person Dr or Immunisation Nurse, has to ensure that you know what the Health dept considers 'the facts'.  You dont have to agree, but you do have to be given the information, them's the rules.  After that they should sign since you have 'the facts' and still decline.  
Ali

#12 Josunshine

Posted 14 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

Hi Guys,

Just want to say i know exactly what you mean about the doctors and other parents treating you as if you were
uneducated and endangering your child.

My son had a reaction to either the hep B vaccination or vitamin K shot (or combination of both) at birth and suffered from moderate seizures for a few months afterwards.

I started to do some research and have since then not had him vaccinated again.
He is now 13 months old and is a healthy seizure free little boy who has only visited the doctor on one occasion. Thank Goodness he has not shown any lasting damage from the seizures so far and we pray to god that he will not do so in the future.

I do not take him for regular check ups anymore as I don't feel the need as he really never gets ill and i know that he is ahead in all his milestones and development.

Last time i took him for his 12 month checkup, I was abused by 2 nurses who threatened to call DOCs and report me for child neglect.

Although i know this is a completely empty threat as my husband and I could never be seen as bad parents it really upset me that they would not even listen to my point of view.

The more i research vaccinations the angrier I get and unfortunately i have no one else to vent this to but my husband (thank god he understands).

I've noticed that they've shut down almost all of the Australian Vaccination group Websites and links now that support both sides of the argument and It frustrates me to know that this information is no longer at hand for parents who really need to see it.

Jo
WA

#13 howdidyougetsosmart

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:00 AM

Hi all,

Im a nurse and I don't believe in vaccinations original.gif

My dd, now 8 was vaccinated.. it didn't sit right with me but I didn't research it at the time. Had I she would never had had them. I did delay a lot of her vaccinations though. It didnt feel right to attack a small immune sysstem with so much.

I also refuse to get any of the flu shots or swine flu shots. I am working instead on improving my health and learning more about our real natural responses to diseases and fevers... we pop way too many panadol!

[removed links]

#14 howdidyougetsosmart

Posted 17 April 2010 - 03:10 AM

conscientious objections .... Note, however, that because many doctors have (illegally) refused to cooperate and sign the form, the government is willing to accept a statutory declaration (signed only by the parent and a JP witness) in lieu of a completed conscientious objection form.'

When a doctor reports a vaccination they receive $6 from the state and federal governments,  
plus $18.50 for the vaccination itself, on top of their Medicare payment for a consultation.

#15 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

I don't know about incentives for Doctors, I wouldn't doubt anything mind you.  I don't agree with Rosiebird's opinions in the other WWYD thread, but I'll play devil's advocate and say she in this thread she was just putting her opinion in and didn't write anything "canning" non vaxers  ...  Don't go on to prove me wrong tho plz Rosiebird!

It'd be interesting to know what the doctors receive, however I don't know if it'd make much difference either way because most Drs, nurses etc advocating vaccinations strongly believe in what they have been told by the pharmaceutical companies / government info etc.

Just for the record my both my GP and MCH nurse (before we moved) supported my choice not to vax both saying not enough is known about vaccinations.  The doctor actually said her sister was a gynaecologist who would not vaccinate her own children because she didn't believe it was safe.

In the end, each to their own.  Be good if more "two way" info were available for the general public though, not just those willing to go do their own research!

#16 mollybot

Posted 19 April 2010 - 01:43 PM

My new GP is a much older bloke - late 60s perhaps ? Just the sort you would expect to be really close-minded & old-fashioned, but he's really been round the traps and has very strong opinions on all sorts of issues - including vaccination, to my surprise. All the older doctors/nurses I've come across have been of the "I've nursed children through diptheria/polio/whooping cough and you have no idea what its like" school of thought, but he's seen enough horror reactions to be very anti....

I told him that I would begin to vaccinate #2 now that he was a year old (as I did  with #1) and he was dead-set against it AND advised me against the flu jab.

Still have my Mum in my ear about it & have offered to PAY for he to go and see him and discuss it with him, 'cos she's not listening to me... She has refused, of course.

#1 had to have a rapid series of jabs to get into daycare ( or so I thought at the time, I know better now) and he has very strong food intolerances. I have since found out that they two are linked & don't know if I can ever forgive myself for this. sad.gif

#17 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

#1 had to have a rapid series of jabs to get into daycare ( or so I thought at the time, I know better now) and he has very strong food intolerances. I have since found out that they two are linked & don't know if I can ever forgive myself for this. sad.gif

You just have to do what you feel is right at the time and then move on.  You can't change it and it may not even necessarily be the vax that caused the food intolerances.  My nearly 3 yo DD has HEAPS of food intolerances and a full blown nut allergy and the only medication she's ever had is the Vit K shot at birth and one half dose of panadol at age 2. shrug.gif

In the end you can't worry too much about things you can't change, just educate yourself for the choices you have to face in the future!

By the way, your GP sounds amazing! Anywhere near Melbourne by any chance?! Apparently there's a lady GP in Sunbury (VIC) who doesn't prescribe any drugs or surgeries .... and she bulk bills!! cclap.gif

#18 chookymumma

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Hi all

I've only just become aware of this thread so I'm going to introduce myself.... my DD (2) is partially vaxed - none until 8 months old but had two rounds of 'catch ups' after I questioned my intuition about vaxing. She hasn't had any since as she developed severe tonsilitis - not sure if it had anything to do with the vax but I felt it was a pretty strong coincidence.

I have no 2 due in a week and we don't plan to vax him.

I have done lots of reading, tried to make sure it was from balanced perspectives but still find myself a little lost at times.

#19 Delillah1

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:01 PM

Can anyone help with experiences and information? My DD aged 3 has been exposed to whooping cough at creche. She is unvaccinated. Does anyone know what sort of odds she faces of catching it? Also I am thinking of going to the doctor tomorrow and getting a course of antibiotics for her so that at least if she does have it she won't be infectious in 5 days. Also I have read that it may lessen coughing paroxysms. Anyone's 3 year old had pertussis? I am dreading the doctor's attitude tomorrow when I have to justify, again, why she is not vaccinated.

#20 SemiRuralGirl

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

Delillah, maybe you could give her vitamin c (sodium ascorbate form) concentrated "high dose" (check safe doses for her age) and olive leaf extract, garlic etc to begin with - really boost her immune system, rather than antis before any symptoms even appear.  Apparently the homeopathic drug "drosera" is very good for treating whooping cough, so if she did get symptoms you could try that too.

It's up to you about giving her antibiotics, I've not yet had to face the prospect of my kids getting whooping cough, but personally I would try everything else before hitting my kids system's with antis.

Good luck with your decision, hope she doesn't get sick!

#21 Josunshine

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

http://www.news.com.au/national/flu-jab-fe...0-1225857716233

Why am i not suprised by this news? The only thing that does suprise me is that the media actually reported on it.

#22 Feral-Lausii

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Deliliah- There was diagnosed cases of whooping cough at our school last term. Its only a very small school so the chances of catching it would have been quite high. None of my children came down with it. My eldest 4 children are vacc, my youngest had the 8 week shots and nothing since. original.gif

Josunshine- What amazes me about the flu vaccine scare is people are still considering getting it done, once the government clears it as safe of course.. wink.gif Very scary, I would not be allowing any flu jab near my children. Come to think of it, none of the eldest 4 have ever had a flu vaccine. No serious cases of flu etc..

#23 upup

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

Also I am thinking of going to the doctor tomorrow and getting a course of antibiotics for her so that at least if she does have it she won't be infectious in 5 days.

The antibiotics do not work for whooping cough other than to reduce the contagious stage. Several studies have shown that the use of antibiotics actually increases the length of the symptoms. Try a natural approach, you can get a homeopathic remedy for the cough.

#24 Delillah1

Posted 24 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I was having a bit of a panic episode imagining that she would already be infected. The doctor was actually very reassuring and surprisingly nonjudgmental. She said as long as no symptoms appear she is not infectious. She also said that she is not likely to get severe symptoms anyway. They can do a swab to test if she has it but only if she starts showing cold symptoms.

#25 Josunshine

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

Hi Delilah,

I totally feel your stress. So far my 13 month old boy has been exposed to Whooping cough twice already and both times i found out afterwards and panicked like a crazy woman. He has never had the pertussis vaccine or any other past the hep B at birth.

The mothers of the children didn't know their children had whooping cough until almost 2 weeks after my little boy had been playing with them.

I watched him like a hawk but very luckily for me he never developed any symptoms and didn't get sick at all.

Don't stress too much. Although i know firsthand as a mum thats impossible but i feel your anguish and i hope your daughter will be as strong and healthy (and maybe lucky) as my little boy was.

Sonia-
I know its so frustrating that a close friend of mine is still planning to give her 12 month old the flu shots next week. She is so terrified of her little girl getting the flu she feels that the shots are still the safest option.
I feel like the only sane person i know sometimes...... or perhaps i am just a crackpot like they say (lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'My parenting style is Survivalist'

A helicopter or tiger mum, I am not.

8 mums reveal their favourite nappy bags

We asked a bunch of mums which nappy bags they love the most.

Why you shouldn't bother throwing a big first birthday party

If you're feeling the pressure to host an all-out, over-the-top shindig for your baby's birthday, I hereby grant you permission to throw the rules out the window.

The 24 baby names on the verge of extinction this year

If you're on the hunt for the perfect baby name and don't want a chart-topper like Oliver or Olivia, then do we have the list for you.

'My mum doesn't seem that interested in my baby'

Q: My mother and I have always been close, but now that I have a baby, she has not helped out as much as I thought she would.

New guidelines: "Bottle-feeding mums need support too"

Breast is best, but mums who can't, or choose not to breastfeed need support too.

Dads also struggle to 'have it all', study finds

Men and women both experience work-family conflict.

Language development may start in the womb

Study found babies can recognise foreign languages before birth.

Meet the baby born from an embryo frozen for 24 years

Experts say little Emma is a record breaking baby.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.