Miele Front Loader - Anyone got one?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jadesmum2

Posted 22 February 2010 - 11:26 AM

Hi

Another person with a dead washing machine. I rang up Harvey Norman and they suggest this one. Its about $1900 so I am a bit hesitant. I have never had a front loader before either, but since we want to save on power and water I am thinking this is the way to go.

Would love any opinions
Thanks

#2 CafeCat

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

We have a front loader - not a Miele. I was going to buy a Samsung but ended up changing my mind at the last minute and got an 8kg electrolux for $800.

Our previous front loader recently stopped working after 13 or so years.

#3 MegsW

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:50 PM

I am going through a front loader hunt as well at the moment.  My uncle works at an appliance sales rooms so he is going to do some investigation for me over the next few days about the best ones (we are only looking at spending about $1000 though) in our price range.  I always feel that when I go into the shop and talk to salespeople that they might be telling me that x brand is the best because that is the one they have been told to sell more of.  I thought at least if my uncle can look into it a bit he can give me a more unbiased opinion because he would rather we got the best deal even if it means not buying at his work, but the best value for money and the best model we can afford in our price range.

I will be watching this thread with interest!

#4 Simply Me

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:52 PM

biggrin.gif
I absolutly love my front loader.  I grew up with a top loader and we got a front loader off my parents when we got married.  I wouldn't go back to a top loader.  The brand I have is Asko.  I think most of the European brands are simmilar.  Why don't you check out what choice magazine has to say on the subject.  It is a lot of money that you need to fork out, so do your research before hand.  It might take you a bit longer, but it may be worth it.  Don't take what the sales person says.  They have their own favourites.  And shop around.  You might find that the Good Guys can do much better deals for you.

#5 lea-kristina

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:58 PM

Yes, I have a Miele front loader. I have no idea whether it is the same one you are looking at buying, as I can't find a link in your original post, but I am very happy with mine. Had it for about 3 years, no complaints. It's gentle on your clothes, and (at least I think so) everything is a lot cleaner. The cycles for cottons takes quite a while, about 2 hours, but I mainly wash overnight, using the timer function, so it doesn't bother me. And if things aren't that dirty, there's an express wash button, too!

I would never buy a top loader again.

Hope this is helpful

L

#6 PackedToTheRafters

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:22 PM

I love my Ariston front loader, had it 2 years now and it has been great. I nearly brought the Bosh at the time, but couldn't wait a few days for the stock to come in.  
I really hope I am still happy with it in a few years from now! original.gif

#7 jadesmum2

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

Hi

Thanks for your replies. Ahh the world of washing machines.
Packedtotherafters - They had a special on for the ariston at the moment. How do the cloths wash? Any dramas with lint/ whites going grey, and how long are the cycles. I have to say I am a bit worried about he long cycles of the front loader, they are so much longer, I will have to be extra organised to do two loads a day when the washs are at least 2 hours long!

L, I think I am looking at eh w1712 model. I heard that this model can leave your towels like cardboard??  Have you had a problem with that? Oh I like the idea of clean clothes lol.

CNP, I rang the goodguys but they don't sell the miele, but they do sell the bosh. I have looked a bit at choice but still going threw the site. WE have a asko dishwasher which is good but the only thing I hate about it is that if it blocks up, you can't just fix it yourself but unclogging it, you have to get the technician out to put a special code in the machine, does the washers have anything like that as a pitfall?

MegsW, any news from your uncle? WOuld be interested tos ee what he recommends.

mum2five, how is the electrolux?

Thanks

#8 ELKO

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:40 PM

I don't have one but I do know that Miele have a 30day happiness guarantee if you don't like it within 30 days you can call Miele direct and they will come and pick it up and refund you.

#9 marvy

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:07 PM

I think Miele is overrated. I bought the Miele oven and it cost $3500, but I was told it was the best, it self-cleans, it cooks beautifully etc and it has been a huge disapointment. It definately doesn't "self-clean".
Considering Miele like to think their appliances are superior they don't offer a great warranty. I got 1 year on my oven, and because I bought it in the box to install in the house when we finished building, the warranty was out 6 months after we moved in, right when the whole door fell off!
I have heard great things about Asko though. My 9kg front-loader is an LG and I have been reasonably happy with it, it gets a flogging, I do at least two loads a day.
Sorry to have a vent about Miele, but my experience has not been a positive one.

#10 LoT

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

I don't have one, but my friend does, and she loves it. She said its gentle on clothes and they come out of the machine almost dry!

#11 Seventh Heaven

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

My mum has a miele FL and she loves it.  

I have an LG FL - was about $800 and I LOVE it!  Had it almost 8 years now and it is still going strong.  I have only had to replaced the rubber seal once.

#12 joeyn

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:23 PM

I have a Meile Front loader.  My old Maytag FL was unfixable, so l asked the people where l had taken it to be fixed what they would recommend.  Meile was the only one they came up with, and they don't sell white goods, only fix them.

I'm really happy with it, do most things on a fast wash of 40 mins with 40c water.   Its in the room next to ours, kinda behind our bed on the other side of a wall, and l have it on most nights and its not noisy.

#13 pumpkin-pie

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:33 PM

I have this exact model Miele 1712 (have had for 18 months) and I am very happy with it! I also wash a lot on sort wash of 40C for 40  minutes, and also express for 30 minutes. It produces a far superior clean to my old top loader!

As far as warranty issues go, I have a Miele electric cooktop which had one burner wich stopped working 6 months out of warranty. Miele were excellent, came out fixed under warranty and also fixed a small piece of my dishwasher tat I had broken free of charge. My neighbour has a Miele washer that was playing up when it was over 10 years old and they still fixed it under warranty!

#14 MegsW

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:08 AM

Okay, had my uncle have a look and his recommendations were a couple of LG models.  Keeping in mind we don't really want to spend much over $1000 and he was looking at ones that qualify for the water saver rebate in SA so they have to be 4.5 water rating now to claim the rebate.

He feels (and I don't know how much this is just his opinion or because he works in the industry) but he feels that the more expensive brands are quite overpriced as most of the components are made in the same place (eg asia).  I think also he has had a LG front loader for a while and never had issues so I guess he feels that he can recommend that brand to us due to their experience.  He has given me prices on what he can sell a couple of the LG models for but told me to ring around because I may be able to get better sales or cash prices elsewhere so it isn't just him wanting the sale at his work.  

Our current top loader is a LG and we haven't had any issues with it up until the last few months where it is leaking a bit of water occassionally which no doubt is the hoses at the back but we haven't done anything to fix it and I want the FL for water saving, space saving (so we can get wall cupboards above it) and energy savings.  The ones he recommended were only 7.5kg though and I might want to look and see if they do a 8kg - but they do have a 10 year warranty on their drive motor which I guess is a good thing too!

It is so hard isn't it to make a decision.  I am still not sure what to do but will probably go and visit places such as The Good Guys etc next week after DH is home from army training and see what else I can find out!

I just want a new washing machine and one that doesn't die on me in the first couple of years!

#15 MamaMoi

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:24 PM

We have a Miele washer and also the condenser dryer and I LOVE them. We also have an Asko front loader at the farm and to be honest, the Asko is good but the Miele is brilliant. I highly recommend them.
Go for the highest rpm spin cycle you can afford. My clothes come out almost dry and take very little time to dry in the dryer or on the line.

#16 JaneMcG

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:30 PM

We also have a Miele front loader. We've had it about 3 years and I love it! I love it because; once it's started it doesn't matter how many little fingers touch the buttons, it just keeps going; it's completely scratch resistant (I didn't think that was important until it got bashed into a few times original.gif ); everything comes out clean and with heaps less moisture than my old machine; and I got the smallest, cheapest model and it still fits 7 large towels, 2 bathmats and 2 hand towels in 1 wash.
Also worth noting that shops don't buy the stock and then onsell it, they act as agents for Miele, so Miele sales are independent of what the shop might be trying to flog off. Other manufacturers sell their stock to the shop.
It was the Choice recommended front loader at the time I was buying.
Good luck with your decision. It's a lot of money to spend on a washer, but for us, it is so worth it. original.gif

#17 jadesmum2

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

Thank you thank you for all your replies. I had to make a decision (something I am not so good at at the moment) and i ordered the miele! It will be here early next week, I can't wait, I hope I won't be dissapointed.

Thanks!

#18 LittleDCJ

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:02 AM

You'll love the Miele.  We bought one 4 months ago and had previously only used a Top loader.  The clothes come out so much cleaner and I agree that they take hardly any time to line dry.  Just drop the spin speed back when you are doing towels or they will come out like cardboard.  The thing that sold me on Miele was that they suggest that their washing machines will last 20-30 years whereas most others will only last 8-10y. So if you have the money to invest in a Miele now it will hopefully save you money over the years when a cheaper model would have broken down and needed to be replaced.

#19 Guest_Cat©_*

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:41 AM

Avoid LG at all costs! lol (just incase anyone is thinking of gettign one!) Ours lasted 3 years then the seals all went, $600 to replace! mum got one and they have been out already to repair it after three weeks, the daycare lady got one and it was repiared after two months, a friend got the new one (like mums with a dryer) and hers jsut died after 6 months.....cant believe how long they (dont) last!!

Ariston - not sure if they have improved but thiers were on serious complaint sites a year back from being a total failure with high break down rates, same as thier oven as well (which we have grrrr).

Asko, we have the dryer and washer and couldnt be happier, it does around 5 loads a day without an issue, it is only around 1 yr old though.

Miele, Harvey normal always push these things, I think they get better commision on them or something.
We prefered the functions on the Asko.

Edited by Cat©, 27 February 2010 - 11:44 AM.

#20 LittleBT

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have an LG front loader and hate it. sad.gif

#21 MegsW

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:09 PM

Little BT can I ask why you hate your LG front loader and which model etc it is?

I am finding this all so confusing!!  AARRRGGGHHH!

I wouldn't mind a Miele but 6.5kg just seems way too small considering we have a 7.5kg top loader and I could handle one that was bigger (I do at least a load a day and once baby arrives will have cloth nappies so it will be more likely 2 a day).

The Bosch ones come in 8kg but they aren't as water efficient and now as the SA Govt give rebates on the 4.5 star ones - the Bosch ones don't qualify as they are only a 4 star water rating.

My uncle recommended LG but they are getting mixed reviews on here!

Feeling very confused!

#22 lotsofbots

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

I have a Maytay FL, top of the line very exy.. It has been fixed under warranty, again under extended warranty, and now needs repairing again.

I am going back to a large industrial top loader, I am over the FL.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Band

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.