OUA (Curtin Uni) Bachelor of Education (Primary) - Semester 1 - 2010

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
528 replies to this topic

#51 carita82

Posted 19 January 2010 - 12:52 AM

Hi,
Bron- I didn't have a problem with the Smartboard software (other than it took so long to download and took our downloads past our limit).
It would be a shame to have to uninstall and reinstall the entire thing sad.gif Did you get to to the part where you install all the files etc?? I downloaded through Firefox and had no issues. Other than that, congrats on your mark for the assignment!

Clarebear- If you have done all the first year units already (and are enrolled) I am pretty sure you would be able to do a 2nd year unit now they are available. I haven't noticed any discussion about it on the commununity forum but I will check it out for you, if you like.

Well i have just handed in my week 7 task, had a few computer issues today but finally got it finished. Hope you are all well..
Carly

#52 hiddensecrets

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:00 PM

Sheena got back to me and said I can do 2nd year units in first SP considering the 1styear ones offered I have done.  I am still enrolled in the course.  So it looks like I am coming back here ladies.

I will most likely be doing EDP130 (lol anyone want to sell their text? I sold mine when I quit hehehehe), EDP250 and the science one.  Yep I am doing 3 because then I can catch up faster.

#53 Janas

Posted 19 January 2010 - 02:08 PM

Hi Everyone,

Time to get back into it. All family holidays are finished, and I am finally feeling like I can dedicate more time and get a little more organised.

Clarebear, great to be having you back - you are always so helpful here!

Things are going pretty well for me. I have a great group for 128 assignment 2, we all seem to be getting through the work without any great clashes in opinion. Much better than my group work for last SP - terrible!

I am finding the weekly journal work a bit of a drag, but my tutor seems to like my work so I guess that's the main thing.

I have decided to do 135 on it's own next SP. The kids will be back at care ( 1 at school, the other two mornings a week at occasional care), so I really feel that I owe it to myself to enjoy that SP, and get the house back on track. We are also thinking that it's time to make the call if we want baby #3, so if that going to happen, then I want to enjoy some me time first.

Talk soon!
Sonia

#54 carita82

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hi everyone,
Clarebear pm/email if you need a textbook for 130.. Good to hear that you are coming back to join us.

Janas, looks like we will both be doing 135 next sp! I will do that unit on its on too

How is everyone going with assignment 2 in 130? I have not started the Smartboard activity yet, not sure where to start... better do some research.

Carly

#55 Donna78

Posted 19 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hi everyone,

Carly - I have just started playing around with the Smart Notebook stuff. Not really sure what i am doing yet. i had better get too it, its due next monday!!!

Good to see you back clare!!

Hope everyone else is well!

#56 bron23

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

Anotherone struggling with the smartboard. I think I know what my lesson will be BUT I dont have a clue as to how to make it happen on smartboard. Im kind of annoyed it doesnt have a better set on instructions on how to use the program or is it just me???

I really am disliking this unit. Oh well halfway over now I guess. Tell me there are better units than this? My grades are fine Im just reallllllllly not enjoying it and its not what I thought I would be doing when I enrolled in teaching.

Clare you are very brave doing 3 units!

#57 hiddensecrets

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

Bron apparently EDP130 is a bore.  There are pleanty of better units.  I loved EDP133 (now EDP120) and didnt mine EDP135 although it was full on.  Others loved EDP136 but i had a tutor personally against me so I didnt.

#58 ESL

Posted 20 January 2010 - 01:16 PM

Clare, I'll be doing EDP130 and EDP225(Science) in SP1 with you. You are very brave doing 3 units... ohmy.gif
I ended up taking this SP off because I needed a break... it was well worth it too.

Bron, I loved 136 (Maths), and 128 (Teaching, Learning & Assessment) and I actually found 135 (Intro to Curriculum) to be the easiest but not very interesting. But as Clare said, your tutor can make a BIG difference.... I've been very lucky to have great tutors in all subjects.

This is my plan for the year ahead...
SP1 EDP130 & EDP225
SP2 EDP137 & EDP140
SP3 EDP220 & EDP230
SP4 unsure yet...I may take it off again..

Looking forward to getting back into it....
Fiona

#59 hiddensecrets

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

MTMT we will have similiar study plans for the next two SP's :-)

#60 bron23

Posted 20 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

Hey Fiona long time no speak original.gif Cant believe our babies will be 1 soon!

THnaks everyone for letting me know 130 is just a crappy unit. I like my literacy unit. Just worked out today that I was freaking out about the wrong bits of assignment 2 for 130 so hopefully I will be OK with it now

#61 Donna78

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

I too am struggling with this interactive lesson. I have an idea of what i want to do but i just dont know how to do it. There isnt much direction at all. Do we have to do a lesson the same as the example (geography lesson)? How much detail does it have to have? Do we have to somehow link it to the website or resource?

I just have no idea!!!

Bron - I feel the same as you, i am getting good grades but not liking the unit at all!!!

#62 bron23

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Donna congrats on the BFP.gif

I sat down with my parents today (both teachers) and went through the rubric with them and they really think that the lesson itself is not as important as much as the attempt to use as many features as you can from smartboard. My website is the dinosphere and I have analysed a webquest offered at the site. The webquest is about who owns the bone but my smartboard lesson is on classification of bones and what distinguishes bipeds from quadrapeds. So although they are similar they are not the same. As good as my tutor is (and she is really quite good) I hate that when I go into our tutorial group and ask for clarification to make sure Im on the right track the response I get it check the rubric. It makes it hard when you cant bounce ideas off anyone

#63 robba

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

Hi ladies,
I too am having trouble with the interactive lesson! I just can't seem to think of any great ideas. My website is wiggle into health and is about health and safety for students in around kindy, so I think I may go with safety around the home? This may seem like a silly question but is the smartboard designed so that the students may put their responses in (on the slide) and then the teacher and class discusses if and why/ why not the chosen student response was correct? This is the only way I can get mine to work! I don't know how and if you can tell the computer what the correct response/ answer is, so that it will move itself onto the next slide.
Does anyone know how to link the 'well done' picture and sound to the correct answer, and the same for the 'try again' picture and sound.
Sorry guys it's late, I hope my ramblings make sense to someone! sad.gif
Cheers,
Robyn

#64 sanjasem

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:58 PM

Hi Everyone

I'm suprised to hear some people find 130 boring. This was my favourite unit.
I've completed 128- found it easy but frustrating with the group work.
133 (now 120) to me was a little boring.
136 Math - didn't like it at all, but some how managed a HD. Needed a glass of wine to even think about writing the weekly PLR.
Now I'm doing 137 literacy and enjoying it.

It's interesting to know others have totally different experiences with the units. I think a lot comes down to the tutors input.

#65 ESL

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:13 AM

Hi Bron  original.gif How is Imogen going? Yes it's hard to believe it was almost 12 months ago, that we were all waiting...waiting...
Liam is going great. He is such a placid baby. He is crawling like mad and walking along holding the furniture. He's stood up alone twice but no steps yet...won't be long though. He sleeps brilliantly during the day but at night I'm still feeding him 3-4 times. He wakes alot.

Clare Have you found out what book is needed for Science? It wasn't listed when I last looked..

Fiona

#66 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2010 - 11:13 AM

Fi its listed under unibooks now original.gif

#67 ESL

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (clarebear1983 @ 21/01/2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fi its listed under unibooks now original.gif

Thanks Clare, I just ordered it from book depository....seemed to be the cheapest option.

#68 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:41 PM

Fi I was thinking about that but I also need the diversity book and I cant get that from there I dont think so I am going with unibooks *sigh* because I dont really like em!

#69 brizmum

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:45 PM

hi girls...

hope its ok for me to join in with you....I have just enrolled in the course to start SP1 doing 120 and 135.

I have been putting this off for years and was set to enroll in a regular uni this year until my dh decided it was the perfect time to apply for the army...so this was the best option for us!  I have 3 boys...ds1 starts prep next week, ds2 is 2 and ds3 will be 1 in march.

Does anyone know where i can get cheap textbooks?  I have been going through the forums on OUA but there seems to be lots of people looking and not many around....

#70 hiddensecrets

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

Welcome brizmum

Have you tried www.textbookexchange.com.au?  what books do you need? (sorry I am not up with the current book list)

#71 brizmum

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:41 PM

clarebear1983 - yep i have requested a couple of books through there but no response so far....I am looking for:
* Professional Practice in primary
* Curriculm Construction 3E
* Becoming a Teacher 4E Knowledge, skills and issues

#72 bron23

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

Welcome Brizmum We are doing the same units in SP1 original.gif

Fiona Imogen is great. I love her to bits. Shes still a very small little girl I weighed her this morning at 9.5 months and shes still only 6.7kgs. Shes really fast with the crawling and cruising the furniture so its only a matter of time before shes off. I dont think she will walk...too interested in chasing Hannah!

Ah gtg have just spent the kids name painting our loungeroom and my fingers are numb sad.gif

#73 Donna78

Posted 22 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Robyn,

Did you figure out how to link those pictures to your lesson?? I would love to know also!

#74 ~Dee~

Posted 23 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Hi guys,

I loved 130 -- and yes very interesting how others have found it!!! This will be the way of the future with teaching as the kids we are teaching are definitely digital!! In my sons school every single class has a smartboard. They just removed all the traditional whiteboards recently and all classes have a computer lab (public school). Anyhoo... I did this subject last SP and received a HD - and lost only 2 marks in this assignment so I may be able to help with the interactive lesson (ass 2).

Firstly, with the software, try to remember that it's actually very manual. So the sounds and pictures may not "run" like a slideshow in powerpoint for example. For the sounds you - as the teacher- will probably need to click on the little sound icon on the screen for it to play the sound - things can be linked but as you don't have the smartboard its not going to behave the same way for you - it wont be fully interactive.

Secondly you will do yourselves a massive favour if you GOOGLE!!! This subject supplies you with a certain amount of information - to do well in it - you really need to research and find info online. I spent days downloading and watching others teachers interactive lessons they had compiled. I got some great ideas from these. There are websites solely dedicated to smart board lessons - take the time and check them out.

Also, make sure your lesson is "pitched correctly" -  if you are doing a lesson for year 3 - check out the curriculum in your state and get an idea of what they are learning - this will give you some great ideas of topics to cover.

Finally, when you are supporting your lesson with your digital resource -- it really just needs to aid the lesson. For example, my resource was tux paint (a freeware drawing program -- check it out my kids LOVE it!!). I did my lesson on "how to write a story" (start - middle - end; explained what authors were and libraries and illustrators) - we reviewed a popular story read and illustrated on you tube -hyperlinked in the smartboard - then using what we learnt we created a class story. Then I created an activity using Tux paint where the kids did a digital illustration for our made up story.

If you would some more help email me on casamolina at gmail dot com.

Hope that helped a little original.gif

Later ladies
Dee

Edited by ~Dee~, 23 January 2010 - 06:24 PM.

#75 jm3

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:43 PM

Just was reading through this thread and noticed some people talking about text books.  We will be getting an email next week about the option of purchasing digital texts if we like.  I believe they will be about half the price of the hard copy, but of course the hard copy one can still be bought if you prefer.  I'm doing 2nd year subjects in SP1, and only the Diverse Abilities one is going to be available in an ebook.  Stay tuned for more info from Sheena/Lynne.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.